The following two books containing information on Clay County Cemeteries are available.
Tennessee, Clay County Bible and Tombstone Records, Historical Records Project, (WPA)
For Peterman Cemetery listings, click here.
For Tennessee Cemetery and Burial Site Laws, click here.
Glynda Sawyer provided this listing of the Cherry Cemetery on Union Hill Road.
Cemetery records in the USGenWeb Archives.
Charlie Gregory supplied these photos of the Tinsley Cemetery, taken by John Waggoner, Jr., which include Abraham Lincoln's grandparents' gravestone.
The Tinsley Cemetery, a.k.a .High Cedar Cemetery, is located near the Jackson-Clay County line off Highway 53 on Tinsley Bottom Road. Turn on Tinsley Bottom Road, continue for 7/10 mile passing Joe Lynn Road. Go past the next brick house and turn right up hill just past barn behind house. Go through the gate and continue uphill on the farm road for 2/10 mile to the Lynn Cemetery. Continue past Lynn Cemetery for 1/10 mile to the cemetery. The cemetery has dense ground cover of periwinkle and poison ivy.
Several fieldstones.copied by Retta Waggoner July 21, 2002:
- Tinsley, J.B. 10 March 1863 - 2 Dec 1994
- Tinsley, Sarah 12 Aug 185(4)? - 15 June 1883 D/O P.M. & M.M. Tinsley
- Tinsley, Philip M 5 Sept 1818 - 12 Mar 1889 Father
- Tinsley, Mary M. 8 Feb 1827 - 7 Aug 1897 Mother
- Tinsley, Alice 18 April 1797 - 16 Jan 1824
- Tinsley, John 29 Feb 1796 - 15 Apr 1853
- Gilpatrick, Joseph 1838-1898 Funeral Home Marker
- Gilpatrick, Nancy 1841-1924 Funeral Home Marker
- Gilpatrick, Felix 1864-1908 Funeral Home Marker
- Warden, Barbara June 24 Mar 1940 - 31 Mar 1940 D/O Mr & Mrs Arlie Warden
- Hix, Felix Ormel 13 July 1858 - 30 Sept 1943
- Hix, Sarah Jane 8 Feb 1869 - 31 May 1938
- Elliot, Inez 28 May 1820- ?
- Lynn, Molly 12 Feb 1902 - 30 June 1936
- Lincoln, Hananiah Capt 12 PA Regt. Revolutionary War - 1814
- Stone marked as follows: Mr & Mrs Abraham Lincoln- Grandparents of the President aka Hananiah
- Stone, W.F 21 July 1869 - 5 Jan 1938
- Stone, Martha 1884 -1901
The following book can be ordered from Sistler and Associates or check library catalogs for availability and inter library loan.
Dale Hollow Graves by Gary D. Norris. Contains information on 825 persons removed from the pool area of Dale Hollow Lake in 1943 and reinterred into the five adjoining counties of TN and KY: Clay, Overton, and Pickett Co., TN and Cumberland and Clinton, Co., KY.
For a listing of known Union soldiers buried at the Nashville National Cemetery click here.
For a listing of the cemeteries shown on Charles Reeves' Clay County Cemetery map, click here. See the Map Resources page for more information about the map.
Return to the Clay County TNGen Web Main Page.
Note on Copyright
The contents of these pages are property of the TNGenNet Inc. and/or private contributors. Any reproductions and/or use of this material for profit is expressly prohibited without the written consent of the contributors and/or the State Coordinator of the TNGenWeb (TNGenNet Inc.).
Jane Hembree Crowley
Charles Reeves, Jr.,
Clay County Coordinators