| B |
C | D
| J |
L | M
| N |
R | S
History of Tennessee Counties
is one of the extreme northern counties of East Tennessee,
lying immediately above Anderson. It is bounded on the east
by Claiborne and Union Counties, and on the west by Scott
County. It is traversed by the Cumberland Mountains, on
the east side of which also, extending the entire length,
is Powell's Valley, one of the finest agricultural sections
of the State. On the opposite side of the mountains is another
extensive valley, but one not so fertile. Its geological
formation is much the same as that of Roane and Anderson
Counties, and consequently it has an abundance of coal and
The settlement of Campbell
County was begun some time not far from 1795, and for several
years it was restricted mainly to that portion to the east
of the mountains, all of which was included in Henderson
County's grant (see sketches of Claiborne and Hawkins Counties).
One of the first settlers was Hugh
Montgomery, who owned the site of Jacksboro. He was
a man of considerable wealth for the time in which he lived,
and was the father of Col. Lemuel
P. Montgomery, who was killed at the battle of Horse
Shoe. In 1806 Benjamin and
Thomas Wheeler located near
where Caseyville now is, and a brick house built by the
former in 1813 is still standing. It was probably the first
brick house erected in Powell's Valley. Jacob,
Daniel and Henry Queener,
brother, from Pennsylvania, located south of Jacksboro.
At about the same time Charles Dabuey,
with his two sons, Cornelius
and Thomas, settled a little
farther to the southeast. James Grant
and Horace Tudor lived at the
forks of the Clinch and Powell's Rivers, where a town named
Grantsboro was laid off. The act of the Legislature authorizing
its establishment appointed Walter
Evans, Edward Scott, Shadrack Reedy, Patrick Campbell, Richard
Chandler, James V. Ball, Thomas Lewis, Charles L. Bird
and George Wilson commissioners
for its regulation. Its subsequent history could not be
learned, but it is probable that it extended no farther
than this act. The vicinity of Glade Spring, now Fincastle,
was settled at an early date, as it was organized there
prior to 1802. In that year it was represented in the Tennessee
Association by Bailey Greenwood
and David Whitman. Among the
pioneers who located on Indian Creek were the Hatmakers,
Wilsons, Ridinours, Whitmans, Browns, Sharps and
Williamses. Prominent among
the other early settlers of the county were Isaac
Agee, Robert Glenn (one of the first representatives
of the county in the Legislature), William
Casey, Amos Maupin and Joseph
The pioneer iron manufacturer
was William Lindsay, who built
the first bloomery in the county on Cedar Creek, for George
Baker and brothers. He afterward erected the three
others, one on Big Creek, another on Cave Creek, and the
third on Davis Creek. The capacity of these works ranged
from 600 to 900 pounds of iron per day. At a later date
John Queener, similar works
on Cave Creek, about three miles South of Jacksboro.
was created by an act of the General Assembly, passed September
11, 1806. The county court was organized at the house of
Richard Linville, on the first
Monday in December following, but as the records of this
court have been destroyed nothing of its transactions can
be given. In 1808 or 1809, Jacksboro was laid out, and a
stone jail and courthouse erected. The former was occupied
until about 1855, when a new building was erected upon the
present courthouse lot. It was destroyed by fire in December,
1884, and was succeeded by the present handsome and substantial
brick building. The first courthouse is still standing,
and is now occupied by J. M. Bibee,
as a store house. The first jail stood upon the lot now
occupied by Dr. Russell, and
was used until the war. The present was built about 1868.
court for Campbell County was organized in 1810 by Judge
Cocke. It remained in the first circuit until 1817,
when it was attached to the second. In 1837 it became a
part of the Twelfth Circuit, which was formed in that year.
It thus remained until the reorganization of the courts
after the war, when it again became a part of the Second
Circuit. In 1873 the Seventeenth Circuit was established,
and Campbell remained one of the counties formed in it until
1886. It is now once more in the Second Circuit. The chancery
court was organized on June 27, 1842, by Judge
Thomas L. Williams, who appointed John
Barton the first clerk and master.
The first lawyer resident
in the county was David Richardson,
who was admitted to practice about 1825. He was a man of
fine personal appearance, and of good ability, but he never
sought a large practice. John E. Wheeler
entered the profession about two years later. Among the
other attorneys previous to 1860 were John
Barton and William H. Malone.
About 1867 H. R. Gibson, the
able chancellor of the Second Division located at Jacksboro,
where he was engaged in the practice of his profession for
several years. J. H. Agee and
James N. Ray have also been
members of the bar. The resident practitioners at the present
time are J. E. Johnston, J. H. Reed,
R. D. Perkins, E. H. Powers, A. J. and J.
W. Agee and John Jennings.
The commissioners appointed to locate the seat of justice
and lay off the town were Sampson
David, John English, John Yount, Sr., and John
Newman. The site chosen consisted of a tract donated
by Hugh Montgomery. The first
merchant of the town Sampson David,
who was also engaged in the practice of medicine. He died
about 1824 and was succeeded by W.
H. Smith. Chiefly among the other merchants from
that time until the war were Thomas
Weir, Robert Morrow, James Williams, William Carey
and William Richardson. The
early tavern keepers were William
Carey, John Izley and John
Phillips. The first regular medical practitioner
was Dr. Thatcher. The principal
part of the county's business for several years was done
by Joseph Hart, clerk of the
circuit court, deputy register and county court clerk.
the youth of the village were educated at a school taught
in a small log house which stood near the present residence
of John Hollingsworth. Among
the teachers at that place were Dr.
Hickox, Mr. Mitchell, Oatey H. Ward and Lewis
David. January 1, 1831, the trustees of Franklin
Academy met and decided to erect a building and put the
school into operation. The board consisted of Abraham
Hayter, John E. Wheeler, John Phillips, William Richardson,
David Richardson, Joseph Peterson and Joseph
Hart. John Phillips was elected chairman; Joseph
Hart, secretary, and William
Richardson, treasurer. It was at first proposed to
erect the building on the hill east of town upon a lot donated
by John Phillips, but upon
the withdrawal of the donation the present site, Lot No.
28 was chosen. A small frame house was erected by John
Queener for $399.80. It was completed in April, 1832,
and the academy was soon after opened under the supervision
of John C. Ewing. Among the
succeeding teachers were Robert G.
Kimbrough, elected in 1842; Peter
J. O'Fallon, 1843; R. L. Kirkpatrick,
1844; Thomas Scruggs, 1846;
R. M. Moore, 1847; Charles
Kirkpatrick, 1848; W. F. Carley,
1849; William H. Smith, 1850;
James O. Patton, 1851; Franklin
Richardson, 1852, and Miss
Kate Edmunds, 1855. In 1854 it was resolved by the
board, "that we build a brick academy." Accordingly the
next year the contract was let to T.
W. Page. The building, however, was not entirely
complete until 1860, although it was occupied before that
time. During the war the school was suspended, and the building
was frequently occupied by troops. In August, 1865, James
Cooper, Alvis Kincard and J.
S. Lindsay, the remaining old trustees, and W.
C. Hall, John Myers and George
Delap, newly appointed members of the board, met
and provided for the repair of the house. About a year later
the school was reopened, and has since been maintained.
In the early
history of the town religious services were held in the
courthouse, later the academy was used, and early in the
fifties a Methodist Church was erected. Since the war a
new Methodist Church and a Baptist Church have been built.
The population of the
town now numbers about 400. Its business interests are represented
by Nichol & Polly, Robert Hutsell,
Silas Taylor and J. M. Bibee,
general stores; Dr. W. B. Russell,
drug store; Spencer Dabney,
harness shop, and I. Wilson,
distillery. The Valley Sentinel, an enterprising
weekly paper, is edited and published by Robert
Hutsell. It was established at Sweet Water, Tenn.,
as the Youth's Sentinel, in April, 1880. Two years
later it was removed to Fincastle, and in 1884 brought to
its present location. The only other papers ever published
at Jacskboro were the News, about 1871, by Z.
Turlock, and the Silver Dollar, in 1884, by
Dr. Frank Lindsay.
Of the remaining
villages in the county, Caryville, Newcomb, Jellico and
Fincastle, the last named is the oldest. It is a little
hamlet that sprang up in the vicinity of Glade Spring Church.
The first store was opened by John
Cooper some forty or fifty years ago. He was succeeded
by John Kincaid. Caryville
was formerly know as Wheeler's Gap, and for several years
was the terminus of the Knoxville & Ohio Railroad. It
was begun upon land owned R. D. Wheeler,
a son of Benjamin Wheeler,
about 1868. The first merchants were Dr.
David Hart, M. D. Wheeler and Frank
Kincaid. At about that time three or four coal mines
were opened, the first by James Kennedy
and William Morrow. For the
year 1873 the total product of the mines at this place was
368,325 bushels. After operating there for a few years a
dip in the rock presented a barrier to the further working
of the mines, and they have all been abandoned.
grown up since the extension of the Knoxville & Ohio
Railroad. It is situated in the extreme northern part of
the county near the Kentucky line. The site was formerly
owned by Richard Perkins, and
Thomas Smith conducted a store
in the neighborhood. A coal mine has recently been opened
by the East Tennessee Coal Company, and is now extensively
worked. Among the merchants of the town are William
Province, Peter Perkins and L.
J. Stanfill. Newcomb is a station on the Knoxville
& Ohio Railroad, about three miles south of Jellico.
persons have filled the most important offices in Campbell
County since its organization:
Sherriffs -- Michael
Huffaker, 1806-07; Thomas Mead,
1807-10; Richard Linville,
1810-16; David Richardson,
1816-22; Charles Maysey, 1822-25,
Joseph Peterson, 1825-26; Joseph
Carlock, 1826-28; Moses H.
Swan, 1828-33; A. D. Smith,
1833-39; Jacob Queener, 1839-43;
Russell Miller, 1843-46; John
Phillips, 1846-50; John L.
Keeney, 1850-56; William Warner,
1856- 58; S. D. Queener (killed
in August, 1858), John Phillips,
1858-60; James Archer, 1860-1862;
H. L. Wheeler, 1862-1865; John
Meader, 1865-66; John Hunley,
1866-68; William Madden, 1868-70;
G. W. Graham, 1870-76; G.
M. Taylor, 1876-79; R. D. Wheeler,
1879-82; John L. Smith, 1882-84;
J. P. Hollingsworth, 1884.
Daniel White, 1806-15; Benjamin
Wheeler, 1815-21; Charles Maysey,
1821-22; Silas Williams, 1822-30;
J. E. Wheeler, 1830-36; M.
H. Swan, 1836-40; Caswell Cross,
1840-41; William D. Sharp,
1841-42; S. D. Cole, 1842-46;
John Grimes, 1846-54; George
W. Smith, 1854-58; John Ryan,
1858- ; D. P. Montgomery, 1864-68;
John Heatherly, 1868-74; J.
J. Large, 1874-76; D. C. McAmis,
1876; J. H. Curnutt, 1876-78;
George Brown, 1878- 82; Lewis
Clerks of the
county court -- James Grant,
1806-10; David T. Strong, 1810-20;
Joseph Hart, 1820-32; William
Carey, 1832-56; John Peterson,
1856-68; John Jones, 1868-78;
S. C. Baird, 1878.
Clerks of the
circuit court -- Joseph Hard,
1810-20; Benjamin Wheeler,
1820-26; Joseph Peterson, 1826-40;
Robert Morrow, 1840-48; G.
M. Kern, 1848-58; George W.
Smith, 1858-64; T. J. Rogers,
1864-68; William Allen, 1868.
------- --------; Joseph Thomas
1836-38; John Izeley, 1838-46;
Thomas Weir, 1846 - ; Reuben
Rogers, 1862-66; Edmund Gray,
1866-68; Samuel C. Baird, 1868-72;
J. P. Hollingsworth, 1872-74;
George Heatherly, 1874-76;
F. P. McNew, 1876-78; J.
L. Lewis, 1878-82; Silas Hatmaker,
1882-86; Lewis Brown, 1886.
masters -- John Barton, 1842-48;
Robert Morrow, 1848-54; F.
H. Bratcher, 1854-66; David
Hart, 1866-70; J. S. Lindsay,
1870-82; Fr. De Tavernier,
1882-83; J. H. Agee, 1883--.