| B |
C | D
| J |
L | M
| N | R
| S | W
History of Tennessee Counties
A. T. Newman, M. D. The
subject of this sketch is a practicing physician at Newcomb,
Campbell Co., Tenn., and was born at Dandridge, Jefferson
Co., Tenn., March 30, 1854. He is the son of W.
H. Newman and Malinda Aley.
The father was a native of South Carolina, and was of Scotch
descent. The mother was a native of Tennessee, and was of
German parentage. Our subject was reared on the farm, and
received a high school education at Dandridge, and up to
the age of sixteen he was on the farm with his father. Somewhat
later he, at the age of eighteen, engaged in the mercantile
business at Dandridge, and followed it up to 1880, when
he suspended merchandising and began the study of medicine
at Dandridge, under the instructions of Dr.
J. C. Cawood. In 1882 he entered the Jefferson Medical
College, at Philadelphia, graduated in 1883, and went back
to his native town, where he practiced for a short time,
and later located at Newcomb, his present location. Here
he has established a large practice, and is the physician
and surgeon for the Standard Coal Company. September 8,
1886, he married Miss Anna Pearnil
Little, daughter of Rev. J.
B. Little, of Well Spring. Mr.
Newman has never had the advantages that wealth can
give, and has had many obstacles to contend with. He has
been successful in business, and is a self-made man. He
is a member of the I. O. O. F., and is a well respect citizen.
Henderson Reid, of Jacksboro, Tenn., is a native
of Botetourt County, Va., born September 21, 1853, and is
the son of Andrew and Eliza
(Reid) Reid. The father was born in Rockbridge County,
Va., in 1799, and was the son of Pennsylvanian parents.
He was a farmer, and died in 1882. The mother was born in
Botetourt County, Va., in 1808, and was the daughter of
Jacob Reid, a native of Bedford
County, Va.; she died in 1885. She was a member of the Methodist
Church, while the father leaned to the faith of the Presbyterians.
Our subject was reared on the farm of his parents in Virginia,
and acquired his early education in the neighboring schools.
Later he attended the Presbyterian and Olin Institute at
Blacksburgh, Va., and finished his education at King's College,
Bristol, Tenn. He began reading law at Bristol in 1874,
and was admitted to the bar and licensed, in 1875, by Judges
E. E. Gillenwaters and Hamilton
C. Smith. He then spent a year in the West, and in
August 1876, located in Jacksboro, Tenn., and began the
practice of his profession, and has resided here up to the
present, having built up a splendid practice and a fine
professional name. He was married in 1878 to Mary
J. Lindsay. Who was born in 1854, and is a daughter
of J. S. Lindsay, one of the
prominent citizens of Campbell County, Tenn. To this union
three children have been born. Our subject is a member of
Jacksboro Lodge No. 322, F. & A M., and his wife is
a member of the Baptist Church.
H. Rhodeheaver, was born at Morgansville, Va., January
7, 1841, the son of George
and Lurena (Jenkins) Rhodeheaver,
the former a native of Virginia, and both of German stock.
Our subject grew up amid the scenes of rural home and school
life, and was hardly of age, when he enlisted in Company
H, Third Virginia Infantry, and served for a time as a non-
commissioned officer. Among the severe actions in which
he was engaged were Cedar Mountain, on the Rappahanock and
the second Manassas, where he received a wound in the right
leg. He was engaged in the oil trade in his native State
for two years after the war, and in 1865 went to Ohio and
married Fannie C. Armstrong,
a native of W. Virginia. Their children are Isaiah
(deceased), Yumbert P., Joseph
N. and Homer. He then
engaged in farming and stock raising in Ohio, and since
1879 has been in the lumber business. In 1882 he went to
Scott County, Tenn., and since 1883 has been in Newcomb,
Campbell County, where he is dealing in all kinds of lumber,
and operating, saw and plaining mill, beside being engaged
in merchandising. He now controls considerable capital,
all gained from a beginning of nothing at all. He is a zealous
Methodist, and a genial, respected man.
William B. Russell, was born in Lee County, Va.,
February 22, 1831, the son of Alexander
and Sallie (Hardy) Russell.
The father, born in Virginia, December 25, 1800, came to
Tennessee in 1846 and settled in Union County. He was a
farmer, and died in 1864. The mother, born in Virginia in
1802, died in 1876, a member of the Presbyterian Church,
while the father was a Methodist. Our subject grew up on
the farm, and attended Walnut Grove Academy, Knox County,
and in 1857 began the study of medicine under Dr.
C. D. Russell, of Union County, and in 1869 began
practice in Union County. He has been practicing in Jacksboro
since 1874, and with the best of success professionally
and financially. In 1872 Sarah A.
Goforth, a native of Claiborne County, born in 1846,
became his wife. Two children have been born to them. She
is a Methodist. In 1857 he visited Kansas and Nebraska,
and in 1862 again made a western tour. He has attended over
800 births during his practice.
H. Smith, farmer, was born near Cumberland Gap, Claiborne
County, February 6, 1825, the son of Jordan
and Eliza P. (Wheeler) Smith. Robert,
the grandfather, was a native of North Carolina, and came
to Tennessee before 1800, and settled near the Claiborne
and Campbell County Line, when Powell's Valley was a cane-brake.
Jordan was born in North Carolina
in 1797, and was a practical and extensive farmer and land
owner. During the late war he sold a portion of fine Powell's
Valley land, near Jacksboro, for Confederate money, which
of course, was worthless. He served in the Indian removal
from the Hiwassee Purchase, under Gen.
Nathaniel Smith, but did not serve in any wars. He
died February 25, 1881, mourned by all who knew him. The
mother, a daughter of Thomas Wheeler,
a prominent citizen of this county, was born in 1807, below
Jacksboro, and died January 13, 1887, a woman of unusual
excellence, and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Our subject was educated chiefly at Jacksboro, where he
attended in the fall and winter; and although he has been
engaged in other duties he has been successful in his career
as a farmer, declining all solicitations for office. Among
the many trusts he has held is the administratorship of
the estate of the late John Kincaid.
He is a stockholder of the Powell Valley High School, at
Fincastle, and has also been director for several years.
October 25, 1849, he married Elizabeth,
a daughter of John Kincaid,
and born at the homestead April 4, 1831. Their three children
were Lossie A., born July 28,
1850, died June 26, 1884; Florence,
born January 19, 1855, and William
W., born February 20, 1861. Our subject and wife
are Methodists, of the Southern Branch.
Rev. T. M. Smith, farmer and merchant, and minister,
was born in Whitley County, Ky., November 22, 1827, the
son of James and Nancy
(Meadows) Smith, the former born in that county March
16, 1805; the latter, a native of Kentucky, died at the
age of seventy-five. The father was a farmer and stock dealer,
and came to Campbell County about 1858. He was an able business
man, and acquired great wealth, and died September 10, 1882,
a member of the Baptist Church, and a man of such genial
nature that he left many friends to mourn his loss. He had
seven sons and three daughters. Our subject, the third child,
has farmed and dealt in stock much of his life, and for
several years has been a successful merchant at Jellico.
He owns about $15,000 in real estate in this county and
in Kentucky. February 16, 1848, Charlotte,
a daughter of Stephen Candell,
became his wife. She was born in Georgia, December 21, 1829,
and died August 6, 1862. She had six sons and three daughters,
and but one son deceased. On January 16, 1863, he married
Delphia, a daughter of Aaron
Hackler, of Campbell County, where she was born in
1834. They have four sons and four daughters. Our subject
was three months in Burnside's Brigade, in the late war.
A zealous Baptist from a very early age, our subject was
ordained in November, 1867, as a minister, in which capacity
he has married about a thousand couples. He has also been
a justice, and is a success as a business man.
J. Smith was born in Campbell County, Tenn., February
16, 1832, and is the son of James
and Nancy (Meadows) Smith,
whose life is mentioned more at length in the sketch of
Rev. T. M. Smith. Our subject
is the fifth child, and had the advantages of country schools.
In 1854 he became the husband of Rachel,
a daughter of Ambrose and Lucinda
Parks. They have had, besides three sons and three
daughters deceased, the following children: Nancy
H., Ezriciah, Rachel, Lewis Alvine, Sarah Elizabeth, James
Martin, Thomas Jesse, Emma Maria, Lucy, Flora and
Hattie. Mr. Smith is one of
those who have gathered strength from fighting obstacles,
in his business career as a farmer, and part of his life
as a merchant also, and has come out successful in the end.
He is now located in the Tenth District, one of its most
respected citizens, and a member of the Baptist Church.
W. Smith, a farmer, was born in Whitley County, Ky.,
February 3, 1841, and moved to Campbell County, Tenn., in
1858. He is the son of James
and Nancy (Meadors) Smith,
who are mentioned more at length in the sketch of Rev.
R. M. Smith. Our subject, the ninth of eleven children,
was reared on the farm, and educated in the country schools,
and has since been a successful farmer and merchant. He
is now devoting his attention exclusively to agriculture.
In 1860 he married Cyntha,
a daughter of William Perkins.
They have had, besides a son and daughter deceased, the
following children: William, J. S.,
W. F., H. E., A. F., Scott, Susan, Nannie, Emma and
Martha. Our subject now owns
about 700 acres. His mercantile life lasted seventeen years,
and was attended with marked success. He is now the postmaster
at Newcomb, and is a member of the Baptist Church.
J. Stanfill was born in Campbell County, August 22,
1832. He is the son of Samson and Rhoda (Ellison) Stanfill.
The father is a native of North Carolina, and was born January
1, 1800. He is a very old and well respected citizen of
Campbell County, and has served the county as one of its
officials. His wife was a native of North Carolina, and
was the mother of a family of nine children, seven sons
and two daughters. Our subject is the fifth son, and was
reared on the farm and educated in the country schools.
He has devoted nearly all his life to farming, and recently
suspended farming, and engaged in merchandising at Jellico.
However he has been in the mercantile business for a number
of years. November 19, 1860, he married Ellen
Falkner. The marriage has been blessed by two sons
and two daughters; their names are Nannie,
William C., Mary Susan and Joshua
F. August 18, 1868, the mother of these children
died, and left the children to the care of the father, who
has been a worthy father, a successful business man and
an useful citizen. He commenced with capital and has been
a financial success.
M. Stokes, farmer, was born in North Carolina May
31, 1829, the son of Thomas J.
and Louisa (Donnelly) Stokes.
The father was born in North Carolina in 1799, the son of
Montford Stokes, who was for two terms the governor
of North Carolina. The latter was a soldier of the Revolution,
and was appointed Indian agent by President Jackson. M.
S., his son, was a major in the Mexican war, and
a colonel in the Confederate Army, and fell before Richmond,
Va. Thomas, the father, came
to Carter County about 1830, came by Lee County, Va., on
his way to Campbell, and remained a year, and then came
to Campbell County. At Jacksboro he kept a hotel, taught
school, and served in various county offices as deputy.
The mother, born in Wilkes County, N. C., in 1809, is the
daughter of Richard Donnelly,
who came to Carter County about 1800. She lives with her
son. Our subject is a lineal descendant of Col.
Hugh Montgomery, one of first settlers of Campbell
County, and who donated the site of Jacksboro, for the city.
After his early farm and school life, our subject began
his long career of thirty-five years as a teacher, in 1848,
and has now taught more schools than any man in the county,
and in the list of his pupils are the father, son and grandson
in a certain family. In October, 1863, he enlisted in Company
B, Eighty-second, E. M. M. of Missouri, as first lieutenant.
He served two years as county school examiner, and, in 1878,
was elected superintendent of public instruction for a similar
time. June 13, 1858, L. P. Jacks,
of Platte County, Mo., became his wife. Her four children
are E. Montford Stokes, born
June 4, 1861; Mary Louisa Stokes,
born July 18, 1868; Leanner Bella
Stokes, born August 15, 1866; Rachel
Adelaide Stokes, born September 17, 1868. The latter
two died in infancy. E. M.
and Mary Louisa survives, and
are now engaged in teaching. Mr. Stokes
is now editor of the Valley Sentinel, published at Jacksboro,
Tenn. Our subject taught school the greater part of fourteen
years in Platte County, Mo.
D. Wheeler, farmer, was born in Campbell County April
6, 1837, the son of R. D. and
Charlotte (Bridgeman) Wheeler,
who are mentioned in the sketch of R.
D. Wheeler, Jr. Our subject grew up accustomed to
the advantages and disadvantages of rural life, and served
as a Federal soldier throughout the war. He then returned
to his native place, and married Sarah
Hunter of Campbell County. James
D. and Anna B. are their
only children. His wife died July 29, 1868, and September
23, 1875, he married Emma J. Hoss,
a daughter of Landon C. Hoss,
of Knox County. Robert L., J. H.
and Richard R. have been born
to them. Mr. Wheeler now owns
and cultivates 360 acres, and is also engaged in stock dealing.
He is a gauger and store-keeper for the Government at Distillery
No. 337, owned by F. Wilson.
He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South,
a Master mason and K. of H.
F. Wheeler was born at Caryville, Tenn., April 21,
1840, and is the son of R. D.
and Charlotte (Bridgeman) Wheeler.
The father was born April 1, 1801, in Virginia, and was
the son of Benjamin C. Wheeler,
who removed to Knox County when the son was about six years
of age. He removed to Campbell County and settled near Caryville
in about 1812, being one of the first settlers of the county.
Our subject's father was a farmer, and an influential citizen.
He represented his county in the State Legislature a number
of years, and died in March, 1875. The mother was born in
Virginia in about 1805, and is the daughter of William
Bridgeman. Our subject was reared on the farm, and
acquired his education in the neighboring school and at
Jacksboro. He followed farming until the breaking out of
the late war, and in 1862 enlisted in Company A, First Federal
Regiment Tennessee Infantry, commanded by Col.
Robert Bird. He served throughout the war, and was
mustered out of service at Nashville in 1865. He then returned
to Campbell County, and has since followed farming, and
is one of the largest farmers of the Fourth Civil District,
owning and cultivating a farm of over 300 acres one mile
east of Jacksboro. He was married in October, 1876 to Anna
J. Sharp, who was born in Campbell County, Tenn.,
in November, 1854, and is the daughter of Henry
Sharp. To this union two children have been born,
one of whom -- Ada -- is living.
She was born September 4, 1884. Our subject's wife is a
member of the Methodist Church South.
D. Wheeler, Jr., was born in Campbell County, Tenn.,
August 30, 1846, and he is the son of R.
D. and Charlotte (Bridgeman)
Wheeler. The father was a native of Virginia, and
was born April 1, 1801, and died n Campbell County, March
19, 1875. The mother was born in Wythe County, Va., September
23, 1807, and is in a hale old age, living with our subject
(1887). These parents were married August 31, 1826, and
to their marriage were born ten sons and four daughters,
our subject being the twelfth child, and eighth son. Of
these children, seven live (1887)-- six sons and one daughter,
all married, and have families. The father was a prominent
citizen of Tennessee, and served seven terms in the Lower
House of the Tennessee Legislature, and early in life served
his county as its sheriff. He was a man of liberal and broad
views, and was a man who assisted many charitable institutions.
He commenced his life pursuits without capital, but by integrity
and perseverance he scaled the height of want of a capital,
and became one of the wealthiest men of his county, before
his death. It is to his credit that, though he, at the outbreak
of the civil war, owned more than a 1,000 acres of land,
he tilled, not by slave labor, but by free labor. He was
a man who favored education, and accomplished, giving all
his children a good education. Our subject was reared to
farming and has devoted most of his life to farming and
stock raising. He now owns and cultivates a farm of more
than 200 acres of land in his district. He has served his
county, as sheriff, two term. September 29, 1880, he was
united in marriage with Miss Lucy
Sharp. To this marriage has been born one child,
a son, named Charles Alexander,
born Mary 16, 1881. Our subject is a member of the Methodist
Episcopal Church South, and is a Master Mason.
Wilson, register of Campbell County, and one of the
leading citizens of Jacksboro, Tenn., was born in the above
county, November 8, 1845, and is the son of Henry
and Sarah (Fleming) Wilson.
The father was born in Campbell County, in October, 1821,
and is the son of Jeremiah Wilson,
a native of North Carolina. The father has followed farming
as a vocation, and is now a citizen of the Fourth Civil
District. The mother was born in December, in 1822, in Campbell
County, and is still living. Both parents are members of
the Baptist Church, and are esteemed, and respected as worthy
citizens and neighbors. Our subject was reared on the farm
of his parents, and attended school in the neighboring schools,
and at Big Creek school, and finished his education at Fincastle.
He worked on the farm, and with his father at the iron forges,
in his native county, until the breaking our of the Rebellion.
In March, 1863 he enlisted in the Federal Army, in Kentucky,
joining Company F, of the Sixth Regiment Tennessee Infantry,
and served through the war with the same, and was discharged
at Nashville, in July, 1865. He then returned to the farm,
in Campbell County, where he worked faithfully and attended
school. While engaged in play at school, he met with an
accident, which left him cripple for life. He has since
followed school teaching, and was elected, in August, 1882,
to the office of county register, and re-elected in 1886,
which office he fills with satisfaction to the public and
himself. He is a member of the Milton L. Phillips Post,
No. 27, G. A. R., and is a man universally respected for
his integrity and enterprise. He is also a member of the
D. Woodson was born in Lee County, Va., November
13, 1846, and is the son of William
and Annie (Pebly) Woodson.
The father was born in Russell County, Va., in 1801, and
was the son of John Woodson,
a native of Virginia. The latter was a soldier of the Revolutionary
war, and was quite prominent in his day. He removed to Claiborne
County, Tenn., where he followed farming, and died after
a long and useful life. William, the father of our subject,
removed to Campbell County early in life, and farmed in
Powell's Valley for a number of years, and then returned
to Lee County, Va., where he followed farming until his
death in 1884. The mother was born in Campbell County, Tenn.,
in 1811, and died in 1884. Both were members of the Baptist
Church, and were religious, plain people, respected and
esteemed by all who knew them. Our subject was reared on
the farm, and attended school at Fincastle, Clinton, and
Tazewell, securing a good practical education. He has followed
farming as an occupation, and has made a decided success
of the farm in Powell's Valley, embracing about 600 acres.
He is a liberal-minded and progressive citizen, and has
always been a warm friend and advocate of education is better
than riches. He stands high in the estimation of his fellowmen,
and, though frequently solicited to seek public office,
has always declined to do so, preferring the quiet life
of a farmer. He was married on March 12, 1867, to Mossie
Kincaid, who was born in Campbell County, Tenn.,
in 1851, and is the daughter of the late Col.
John Kincaid, one of the most prominent citizens
of the county. To this union eight children have been born,
one of whom is dead, having met his death accidentally while
hunting. Both our subject and wife are members of the Methodist
Episcopal Church South.