San Martin Barnett, farmer, blacksmith and manufacturer, was born in Benton County, Tenn., June 1, 1839, the eldest of five children of Mansfield C. and Mary (Barnett) Barnett, and is of English and French descent. His parents were born in Humphreys County, Tenn., in 1812, and 1810, and died in 1863 and 1853, respectively. The father resided in Perry County the greater part of his life. Our subject resided on the farm and attended the common schools, and after this learned the blacksmith’s trade, which he has followed, in connection with farming, up to the present time. He owns 104 acres of land and is comfortably situated in life. During the late war he enlisted in the Fifth Regiment Tennessee Infantry, Confederate States Army, and served under Col. W. E. Travis. He participated in the battles of Shiloh and Murfreesboro, where he acquitted himself as a gallant and trustworthy soldier. He was finally discharged (1863) after a service of over two years for disability. He belongs to the Masonic fraternity, and is a liberal thinker in religion, and an active Democrat in politics; He is unmarried.
Barnabas Beasley, one of Perry County’s pioneer citizens; was born in North Carolina, on the 18th of May, 1812. His father, John P. Beasley, was born in the same State as himself and married Lucy Ellis, also of North Carolina. Out of their family of seven children, only four are living. They came to Tennessee in 1815, and located on Stone River, in Rutherford County, where they resided two years, and then took up their abode in Williamson County. John P. died in 1848, and his wife in 1851. Our subject resided with his parents until their respective deaths, and in 1852 came to Perry County, Locating at his present home. His farm consists of 675 acres on Coon Creek, and Mr. Beasley may be considered a prosperous and substantial citizen of the county. He has always been identified with the Democratic party, but has never aspired to office. He is unmarried.
Isaac N. Black, M. D., of Linden, Perry Co., Tenn., is a son of Isaac N. and Susan A. (Williamson) Black, who were born in Virginia, and were early settlers of Giles County, Tenn., where they were married. The father Was a farmer, and died’ in 1844. The mother afterward married Joel B. Drake and bore him four children. She died in Lawrence County in 1861. Our subject .made his home with his paternal grandmother until the war, when he enlisted in the Third Tennessee Confederate Infantry, and served with this regiment until the close of the war. He was promoted to lieutenant in 1862, and participated in the battles of Fort Donelson, Chickasaw Bayou, Port Hudson, Raymond, Jackson, Chickamauga (where he was severely wounded), Resaca (wounded there also), Franklin and Bentonville, being slightly wounded at the last two battles. After his return from the army he entered the State Spring Academy, Giles County, and attended the sessions of 1867 and 1868 in the University of Nashville, and the summer of 1868 was spent at the State Medical College of Georgia. In 1868-69 he graduated at Nashville, and has since successfully practiced his profession at Linden, and has also carried on farming since 1875. May 5, 1870, he wedded Julia N. Brashear, of Perry County, and daughter of Thomas Brashear. They have two children: Lula L. and Alma M. Dr. Black is a member of the F. & A. M.
A. J. Blackwell, merchant, of Lobelville, Tenn., was born October 11, 1861, in Hickman County, Tenn. He was reared on his father’s farm, and, after attaining his twenty-second birthday, farmed two years on his own responsibility, and in the spring of 1885 embarked in the mercantile business at Lobelville, Perry County, and still continues the same with good success. He carries a general stock of hardware, queensware and glassware, groceries, dry goods, etc., the stock amounting to about $1,500. Mr. Blackwell’s education. has been obtained principally in the common schools of the county. In the spring of 1885 he and his brother, W. J., came into possession of the home, on which his store building is located, on his share, a tract of fifty acres, which contains iron ore. His parents, Jackson and Mary (Rise) Blackwell, are still living. They were married in this State, and have lived the most of their lives in Hickman County, following farming.
Bailey P. Bone, brother of L. B. Bone (whose sketch appears in this work), was born in the county in which he resides, December 6, 1839. At the age of twenty-eight years he became the architect of his own fortunes, and chose the free and independent life of a farmer as his occupation through life. He took for his companion through life Fessona Crowell, who was born in Humphreys County. At the breaking out of hostilities between North and South, December 25, 1861, he enlisted in the Fifty-third Tennessee Infantry, and remained with this regiment until August, 1863, when he returned home. At the time of his marriage he located on the old homestead, now owned by his brother, Leander, and after one year’s residence there moved to Humphreys County, locating near Duck River, where he remained two years, and then returned to Perry County, and has since resided on his present farm. He also owns a farm in Humphreys County, and a river bottom farm in Perry County. He and wife are members of the Christian Church, and are the parents of the following children: William Leander, Polly Ann, John (deceased) and Arthur Garfield.
William O. Britt, a prominent and successful farmer and merchant, of Perry County, Tenn., was born in Humphreys County, January 24, 1819, and is the eldest of eight children of Anderson S. and Mary (Wilkes) Britt, and of Welsh-English extraction. The father was born in Virginia, in 1789, and came to Tennessee at an early period, settling in Sumner County about 1808. He served in the war of 1812, and was in the’ battles of Horse Shoe, Talladega and the bombardment of Pensacola. He removed to Arkansas in 1846, and died in one. year after his removal. His wife was born in Virginia, in 1799, and died in Perry County, Tenn., in January, 1862. The grandfather of our subject, Obed Britt, served with distinction in the Revolutionary war. He was at the Guilford Court House and Yorktown, and was wounded at Waxhaw by a saber. For his valuable services and gallantry he was given a pension for life. At the age of twenty-one William O. began business as salesman with J. M. and C. Pettigrew, at Perryville, Tenn. August 7, 1844, he wedded Mary M. Bnitt (who was born in Tom’s Creek, July 30, 1822, daughter of William S. Butt), and their union has resulted in the birth of the following children; James H., Julia A., John D., William A., Jennie, Thomas C., Edward H., Robert L., Mollie A. and George S. Only five of these children are living. Mrs. Bnitt died September 9, 1884, while visiting her daughter in Waverly, Tenn. Mr. Britt is a Democrat and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. He owns 6,500 acres of land, 3,000 acres of which are Tennessee River bottom lands. He is at present erecting a new residence which promises to be commodious and substantial.
John W. Burns was born in Williamson County, Tenn., March 10, 1842, son of George and Nancy (Wilkey) Burns, who were Tennesseans and were married in Williamson County. They came to Perry County in 1859, and there the father tilled the soil until his death in 1878. At the breaking out of the war our subject enlisted in the Forty-second Tennessee Infantry, C. S. A., and served two years. He was at Fort Donelson, Jackson, and several battles of minor note. After returning home he assisted his father on the farm until 1867, when he was united in marriage to Toby Greer, a native of this county. In 1880 Mr. Burns purchased his present farm, on which they located and are at present residing. The farm, consisting of 400 acres of fertile land, lies between Beardstown and Lobelville. To Mr. and Mrs. Burns twelve children have been born, ten of whom are still living. Mr. Burns has always been identified with the Democratic party.
Andrew D. Craig is a son of Andrew Craig, who was born in East Tennessee in 1787, and is said to have been the first male white child born between the Holston River and the Cumberland Mountains. In 1835 he married Martha D. Hardeman, of Williamson County, and in 1848 they came to Perry County, and here the father died in 1862, followed by the mother’s death in 1863. The father was a soldier in the war of 1812, and was a minister in the Baptist Church, and afterward in the Christian Church. Andrew D. Craig, our subject, was born December 15, 1838, and made the paternal roof his home until the breaking out of the war between North and South, when he enlisted in the Fifty-third Tennessee Confederate Infantry, and, after the fall of Fort Donelson, was transferred to the Tenth Tennessee Cavalry and remained in the service until Lee’s surrender. December 22, 1859, he wedded America Greer, and of seven children born to them six are living. Mrs. Craig died October 17, 1874, and January 24, 1875, he married Adelia Carroll, who bore him six children, four now living. Mr. Craig served as county trustee six years from March, 1870, and as county sheriff four years from August, 1872. Farming is his chief occupation, and he and family are members of the Christian Church.
A. P. Craig, merchant and farmer of Perry County, Tenn., was born on the 2d of March, 1851. His father, G. B. Craig, was born in 1821, and moved to Hickman County, Tenn., when young, and then to Perry County. He has made farming his chief business through life, and is still living. The mother, formerly Miss Julia Caruthers, died in October, 1878. In 1874 our subject began merchandising at Cedar Creek Landing, and has continued the business at that place ever since. January 1, 1879, he married Molly C. McDonald, who was a native of Perry County, and their marriage has been blessed in the birth of three daughters: Julia V., Ruby M. and Bessie. In 1882 Mr. Craig came into possession of the farm where he now lives, consisting of over 700 acres, on the left bank of ‘Buffalo River. Mr. Craig is a member of the F. & A. M., and Mrs. Craig is identified with the Christian Church.
Andrew C. Cude is the only living child of ten children born to Homer and Temperance (Lomax) Cude. The father was born in 1795, in Grainger County, and came to Middle Tennessee when ten years old. He first married Nancy Gordon, who bore him one child. She died, and he then married our subject’s mother, who was a native of Georgia. He farmed in Hickman County until October, 1824, and then came to Perry County, locating on the farm now owned by our subject. He died in June, 1858, followed by his wife several years afterward. Up to the time of our subject’s marriage with Martha Crudup, which took place in 1845, he resided with his parents. His wife died the same year they were married, and in 1847 he married Caroline Crudup, who died in March, 1863. Four of the five children born to them are still living. Mr. Cude took for this third wife Indiana King, in 1863. Nine children were born to their union, seven of whom are living. In 1853 he moved to the Lone Star State, where he resided until 1857, engaged in farming and stock raising. Since the latter date he has owned and resided on the fine farm of 500 acres said to he at one time the site of an Indian town. In 1864 he enlisted in the Ninth Tennessee Cavalry, and served until after the battle of Nashville, when he returned home, and has since followed the occupations of farming and stock raising. He and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, and he belongs to the F. & A. M.
Mrs. Nancy J. Dickson is a native of Bedford County, Tenn., and was born on Duck River August 6, 1833. She is the second of five children born to the marriage of Leroy Blackburn and Elizabeth C. Cooper, and is of Irish extraction. Her father and mother were born in Bedford County, Tenn., April 22, 1812, and February 20, 1811, respectively. Mrs. Dickson, when about six years of age, moved with her parents to Hickman County, where she remained twelve years and then came to Perry County, where she has since resided. The father moved to Arkansas when comparatively a young man, and remained four years. After his wife’s death, April 30, 1857, he returned to Tennessee, and manages the plantation of his daughter, Mrs. Dickson, in a very successful manner. Mrs. Dickson was married in Perry County December 19, 1852, to Albert B. Dickson. To this union there have been no children born, but by adoption Mrs. Dickson has one son, Bethel Tipton Blackburn, born February 18, 1873. Our subject is a member of the Daughters degree of F. & A. M. and also of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. She owns 365 acres of good land, on which she raises the cereals and grasses to some extent but devotes the most of her land to the production of peanuts. Abundant evidences have been found on her farm of iron ore and also coal, the latter having been satisfactorily tested. Mrs. Dickson’s father is an old line Democrat, and a member of the Primitive Baptist Church.
James M. Dodson, proprietor of the Dodson House, at Linden, Perry Co., Tenn., was born in Hickman County in 1835, and is a son of Marshall and Emily (Brown) Dodson, who were born in the Old Dominion, and wer.e brought to Tennessee by their respective parents when quite young. They were married in Williamson County, and soon after moved to Hickman County, where they remained until 1851, when they came to Perry County, where they resided the remainder of their lives. The father died in May, 1863. His widow resided with our subject until her death in July, 1883. At the age of twenty-two James M. united his fortune with that of Martha Jane Harris, who was born in Perry County and is a daughter of David R. Harris. Our subject farmed until the breaking out of hostilities between the North and South, when he enlisted in Company E, Sixth Tennessee Federal Cavalry, and was afterward transferred to Company G, of the same regiment, and served until the close of the war. In 1866 he was elected sheriff of Perry County, serving two years, and then resumed farming. In December, 1872, he moved to Linden and has since kept a first-class hotel. To him and his wife eleven children were born, seven of whom are still living. Mr. Dodson is a member of the K. of H., and his wife is identified with the Methodist Church.
Elias Dodson was born in Hickman County, Tenn., December 29,1836, one of eight children born to the marriage of Marshall Dodson and Emily Brown. At the age of eighteen our subject acted as overseer of a plantation in Gibson County a few months, then returned home, where he remained until the commencement of the war; then joined the Sixth Tennessee Federal Cavalry, and remained with that regiment until the fall of 1864, when he returned home, and has since followed agricultural pursuits, locating on his present farm about 1869. October 8, 1856, Mr. Dodson married Virginia Shelton, a native of Williamson County, and to their union thirteen children were born, eight of whom are still living. The mother died November 12, 1882, and December 31, 1882, Mr. Dodson married Nancy A. Newton and by her is the father of two children: Unity Lucy Robert Sarah Mat and Clabe B. Mr. Dodson is a member of the K. of H., and he and wife are members of the Christian Church.
Allen W. Dodson is a native of Perry County, Tenn., born October 12, 1851, and is one of four children (two living) of Claiborne B. and Nancy (Norris) Dodson, who came from Hickman to Perry County in 1850. The father was a farmer, and died in 1873. His widow, who is now seventy-two years old, resides with our subject. May 29, 1877, Allen W. Dodson took for his companion through life, Mrs. Mary Dansby, nee Maxwell, who was born and reared in Perry County. Mr. Dodsou began the mercantile business in Lobelville, and carried a good general stock of goods amounting to about $3,000. In February, 1885, he purchased the farm where he now lives, consisting of 195 acres. He also owns 520 acres near Buffalo River. Mrs. Dodson is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, and Mr. Dodson belongs to the K. of H., and in politics favors Democratic principles.
George H. Dudley is a son of William and Patsey (Petty) Dudley, who were born, reared and married in Hickman County, Tenn. They spent their lives in their native county, and followed farming until their respective deaths. Our subject was born in Hicknian County February 10, 1847, and resided with his father until the latter’s death. He was twelve years of age at that time. His mother died when he was six years old, and his father took a second wife. To the first marriage eight children were born, two surviving; and to the latter marriage four were born, three of whom are yet living. After his father’s death, George H. resided with an uncle until twenty years of age. He then went to Williamson County, where he remained one year, and then returned to Hickman County, and after a two years’ residence there, came to Perry County, where he owns about 200 acres of land near Buffalo River. In politics Mr. Dudley is a Democrat. In February, 1873, he married Charlotte Greer, and of the seven children born to them six are living.
Thomas C. Edwards is one of nine children born to the marriage of John A. Edwards and Mary Wilburn, natives respectively of Hickman and Perry Counties, Tenn. They were married in the latter county, where they resided until 1872, and then moved to Hickman, County, where the father died and the mother still hives. The father was a Baptist minister. Thomas C. Edwards was born in Perry County January 1, 1848. He resided under the paternal roof until August 17, 1871, when he married Mary Jean Burns, a native of Perry County. In 1879 he came into possession of the farm on which he is at present residing, consisting of 250 acres on the west bank of Buffalo River, near Lobelville. Mr. Edwards has a very fine strong spring of freestone water near his house, which issues from the side of a steep ridge. Politically he is identified with the Democratic party.
John T. Edwards, merchant of Beardstown, Tenn., and member of the firm of Shepard & Edwards, was born July 7, 1857. At the age of twenty years he began teaching the "young idea" in Hickman County, and at the end of two years accepted a position as salesman in a general merchandise store in Beardstown, continuing six months, when he embarked in merchandislng in Dixon, Dixon Co., Tenn., and remained one year. He then continued the same business in Hickman County, and in February, 1882, began business in his present location in partnership with E. H. Shepard. They keep a general stock of goods amounting to about $5,000. September 18, 1879, Mr. Edwards united his fortunes with those of Sallie Shepard, a native of Perry County. To them were born the following family of children: Lorenzo E., Flora Mabel and Edith Lois. Mr.. Edward’s parents are William H. and Nancy (Wilburn) Edwards, who were natives and farmers of Tennessee. Of their ten children eight are living.
Thomas O. Gray is a well-to-do farmer of Perry County, Tenn., and was born September 3, 1850, in Stewart County, and is one of ten children, five of whom are living, born to the marriage of Martin J. Gray and Louisa Arnold, who were born in Virginia and North Carolina, respectively. and were early settlers of Bedford County, Tenn. They were married in the latter county, but soon moved to Stewart County, where they farmed several years, and came to Perry County in 1852, locating near Standing Rock, a perpendicular bluff 300 feet high on the west bank of Buffalo Creek. The mother died March 14, 1884, followed by the father August 14, 1884. After attaining his majority our subject located on a farm in Humphreys County, where he remained until 1881, when he came to this county and purchased a farm of 140 acres, and here has since resided. He was married to Sarah Owens, and five children have blessed their union: William Martin, Jesse Franklin, Walter Edward, Margaret Emily and Madison Lee. Mr. and Mrs. Gray are members of the Baptist Church.
M. J. Gray, M. D., is a brother of T. O. Gray, whose sketch appears above. He was born in Perry County, Tenn., December 8, 1852, and resided with his parents until their respective deaths. His early days were spent on the farm and in attending the common schools, where he secured a fair education. He purchased the home farm, and December 17, 1874, he united his fortunes with those of Sarah Sophronia Horner, who was born in Perry County, Tenn., and the following are the children born to their union: Russell Horner, Edward Martin, Gertrude Polinia and Bertie. Mr. Gray attended the medical department of the Vanderbilt University during the sessions of 1877-78. He then practiced his profession one year, and in 1879-80 he again attended medical sessions and graduated with the title of M. D. He has since practiced in connection with his farming, and the best of success has attended his efforts.
William N. Greer, of Perry County, was born in July, 1840, in Davidson County, Tenn. He assisted his parents on the farm until 1859, when he went to Arkansas and Missouri, where he spent two years. In 1862 he enlisted in the First Arkansas Battery, and served until the cessation of hostilities. He then returned to Perry County, Tenn., and in January, 1867, he and Amanda Dodson were united in the holy bonds of matrimony. Mrs. Greer was born in Perry County, and became the mother of seven children, six of whom are still living. She died February 22, 1883, and in January, 1886, Mr. Greer united his fortunes with those of Mrs. Huldah (Dille) Kline. Mr. Greer is an F. & A. M., and is independent in his political views, voting rather for the man than the party. His parents, Henry and Harriette (Henry) Greer, were Davidson County Tennesseans. They came to Perry County about 1847, and located on Buffalo River near the present town of Linden. They became the parents of eleven children, seven of whom are living. The father was a farmer, and was tax collecter of Perry County in 1850; served as justice of the peace of his district, and died in 1882; the mother died in 1852.
R. A. Gnthrie, farmer, and native of Perry County, Tenn., was born on the 28th of November, 1836, and is one of three children born to Andrew H. and Jane (Kirkpatrick) Guthrie, who were born in North Carohina and Sumner County, Tenn., respectively. They were married in the hatter place, and came to Perry County about 1835. They followed farming for a livelihood and continued the same until the father’s death, in 1864. Our subject’s early days were spent on his father’s farm. At the commencement of the war he joined the Sixth Tennessee Federal Cavalry, but was soon detailed home to raise a company for the Second Tennessee Mounted Infantry (Federal) and served as captain of that company until the dose of the war, being discharged at Nashville in May, 1865. He then returned home and has since been an energetic tiller of the soil, locating on his present farm in 1874. In 1869 he married Mrs. Nancy J. Dodson, nee Webb, and their marriage has been blessed in the birth of two children: James M. and Mollie A. (deceased). The mother of these children died February 1, 1880. Mr. Guthrie then married Eliza Sims, in November, 1880. They have two children: Bessie L. and Flary. Mr. Guthrie is a member of the F. & A. M., and he and his wife are members of the Methodist Church.
Robert Houssels, a farmer and successful and prominent heather manufacturer, was born in Rhine (Prussia) Germany, near Cologne, February 18, 1834. He was the youngest of eleven children of John P. and Margaret. (Weber) Houssels. Our subject immigrated to America at the age of seventeen and landed in New York; was reared in a rural village and received his preparatory education in the common schools of his fatherland, and finally completed the same in the Mulheim High School. He was apprenticed to the tanner’s trade after completing his education, and served three years for his board. He then worked for wages for five years, in Cincinnati, St. Louis and other places, and in 1856 he began tanning in Perry County, Tenn., on his own responsibility, and has succeeded far beyond his expectations, being the owner of 25,000 acres of land, on which he has an iron furance, not now in use. The home place consists of 100 acres, and on this hand is his fine steam tannery and his beautiful home residence. October 28, 1860, he wedded Docia Young, born February 4, 1843, daughter of Samuel Young. They have eight children: John H., Robert S., Julia E., Jennie, Bismarck, Rosina R., Minnie R. and Norma. Mr. Houssels is somewhat conservative in politics, but rather favors Democratic principles. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and a man of liberal and generous disposition, and is always ready to do his part in furthering enterprises for the public good. Mrs. Houssels and some of the children are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.
John H. Houssels, proprietor of the Linden Trade Palace, was born November 23, 1861, in Perry County, Tenn., and is one of seven children born to Robert and Docia (Young) Houssels. The parents, who are both still living, were born in Germany, and Perry County, Tenn., respectively. The father came to Tennessee when about twenty years old, and worked as a day laborer. By frugality, industry and good business management he has amassed considerable property. He built up and now controls the tanning industry of the county, owning the large steam tanneries near Mouse Tail Landing, in Perry County. At the age of sixteen our subject accepted a clerkship in a Linden store, in which his father had an interest, and there continued until 1880. He dealt in stock about one year, and then engaged in the wholesale hide and heather business in Evansville, Ind., under the firm name of Houssels & Klein. They disposed of their business at the end of about one year, and our subject returned to Linden and purchased Houssels & Webb’s stock of general merchandise, but a year hater sold to G. L. Harris & Son, after which he engaged in the peanut and live stock trade until the fall of 1884. He visited Texas during the winter of that year and the summer of 1885, then returned, and again embarked in merchandising, moving into his present commodious business room in January, 1886. His stock amounts to about $8,000. June 20, 1881, Mr. Houssels wedded Gussie Humphreys, of Franklin County, Ark., and two children have blessed their union: Robert Clyde and Claud McIlroy. In 1886 he became a candidate for trustee of Perry County against J. P. Beasley, who had served two terms, having no opposition in his election. It was generally conceded it would be impossible to defeat him, as he had made a strictly first-class officer; therefore our subject’s entering the lists against him was quite an undertaking for a boy like himself. The race was quite exciting and resulted in the election of Mr. Houssels by fifty-five majority.
C. Johnson was born April 8, 1811, and is one of nine children of William and Mary (Britt) Johnson, who were born and married in Virginia, and came to Tennessee in 1810, locating in Wilson County. The father was an agriculturist, and died in 1841. His widow died in 1857. Our subject remained at home until fourteen years of age, and having learned the tanner’s trade, he worked at the same in Williamson, Davidson and Hickman Counties until 1861, and then located where he now resides. In 1836 he married Mary Isabella White, and eight children were born to them, all of whom are dead. Their mother also died in 1870. Mr. Johnson is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. His grandson, C. Allan Brown, resides with him. He is one of three surviving members of a family of five children born to George W. and Mary (Johnson) Brown, and was born in 1861. His father was a Methodist Episcopal minister for some time, but owing to throat trouble he was obliged to give up that calling and devoted his time to the practice of medicine. He died in 1881, and the mother in 1874. C. Allan entered the medical department of the Vanderbilt University, attending the sessions of 1883, 1884 and 1885. He located at his grandfather’s home, near Beardstown, where he has since practiced. June 8, 1886, he wedded Bessie Houssels, the accomplished daughter of Robert Houssels, one of Perry County’s most influential and prominent citizens. The Doctor and his wife are church members.
Benjamin C. Kittrell, farmer and merchant, of Farmers Valley, Tenn., was born on the 24th of February, 1832, in Hickman County. Previous to his twenty-first birthday, he resided and assisted his father on the home farm, but after that period he began doing for himself. He taught school until the war, when he enlisted in the First Tennessee Confederate Cavalry, and served faithfully and well until the close of the war. Since that time he has farmed, and is the owner of 500 acres of good land, on which are several old Indian mounds. In November, 1860, he and Martha J. Dowdy united their fortunes, and ten children have been born to their union, nine of whom are still living. Mr. Kittrell and family are members of the Christian Church, and he is a member of the F. & A. M. His father, George Kittrell, was born in North Carolina in 1797, and came to Tennessee in 1807, and after residing in Williamson County a short time, moved to Lewis County previous to the war of 1812. He served in the conflict under Gen. Jackson. He married Betsey Rutherford (our subject’s mother), of Sumner County, Tenn., and they came to Perry County in 1858, locating at Farmers Valley. The mother died in Maury County, in 1865, and Mr. Kittrell then sold his farm and went also to Maury County, where he died in 1868.
Elkanah A. Land first saw the light of day in Hickman County, Tenn., March 28, 1827, was a son of Cooper B. and Hannah (Anderson) Land, and one of their eleven children. Cooper Land and his wife are Tennesseans by birth, born in 1806 and 1802 respectively, and since 1841 have been residents and farmers of Perry County. The mother died in 1868. In 1844 our subject began doing for himself, and June 6, of that year married Nancy Barber, of Perry County. They have four children: William R., Mary F., Elizabeth J. and Nancy H. Mr. Land learned the blacksmith’s trade in 1847, and followed it in connection with farming for about fourteen years. He came into possession of his present farm of 600 acres in 1844. In October, 1862, he was ordained minister of the Christian Church, and has since been the chief expounder of the gospel in Perry County. He organized all the churches of his denomination in the county, and has also been instrumental in organizing many churches in the adjoining counties. He has administered the ordinance of baptism to about 2,000 persons.
Green C. Ledbetter, a successful planter of Perry County, Tenn., was born April 12, 1824, and was the seventh of twelve children of Henry and Anna (Phillips) Ledbetter, and is of Irish descent. His father, a native of North Carolina, was born about 1788, and was reared and married in his native State. Within a few years after his marriage he immigrated to Tennessee and settled in Lincoln County, where he lived until 1837, when he moved to Perry County and established himself on Lick Creek, where he continued to reside until his death, May 14, 1860. The mother was born in North Carolina about 1789, and died at the old homestead August 12, 1870. Our subject received a limited education, and has made farming his chief business through life. He was married, in Perry County, to Eliza Elizabeth Terry, daughter of Jason Terry. Of their nine children eight are living: Mary A. L., Sarah E., Jane, Nancy M., Eliza, Columbus W., Sion H. and Henry. The mother of this family was born in North Carolina, and was brought by her parents to Tennessee when a small child. They afterward moved to Perry County. Our subject is a stanch Republican, with very conservative, liberal and intelligent views on the political questions of the day. Mr. Ledbetter was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and during its separation he was taken, without his consent, into the Southern wing, although he preferred remaining with the old church. He owns 1,500 acres of land, on which is valuable iron ore, and also abundant evidences of coal, with splendid timber and numerous springs of pure water, which flow the year around.
John N. Ledbetter, one of Perry County’s prominent farmers, was born in Lincoln County (afterward Marshall County), November 30, 1825, and is one of twelve children, seven now living, born to Henry and Anna (Phillips) Ledbetter, who were born in North Carolina. They were married in their native State and soon after came to Tennessee, locating in Lincoln County. In February, 1849, they took up their permanent residence in Perry County, where they resided until their respective deaths in 1860 and 1870. Our subject lived with his father and mother until his marriage to Millie Elizabeth Tate, which took place December 16, 1866. He then made his home with his mother three years longer, then moved to a farm which he had purchased on Lick Creek, where he remained ten years, and then located on his present farm of over 500 acres near Lobelville. Mr. and Mrs. Ledbetter are the parents of two children: Martha Ann and John Henry. Mr. Ledbetter belongs to the Republican party, and he and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.
H. M. Ledbetter, a Lincoln County Tennessean, first saw the light of day December 18, 1830. He was the youngest of a large family of children born to the marriage of Henry and Anna (Phillips) Ledbetter. [For history of parents, see biography of Green C. Ledhetter.] Our subject was reared on a farm and secured a limited education, owing to the meager facilities of that day; but through steady application has acquired a fine business education, and is one of the intelligent and respected citizens of his locality. After attaining his majority, Mr. Ledbetter began farming for himself, and has made that business his chief calling through life. He and his brothers were strongly opposed to secession, and used their votes and influence to keep the State in the Union, and under this condition of affairs were placed in positions often more unpleasant and more dangerous than army life itself. He is a warm Republican, and was married at the age of twenty-one to Mary E. Vaughn, daughter of William Vaughn. Ten children blessed their union, eight of whom are living: Sarah A. E. (Mrs. T. G. Young), Susan Tennessee (Mrs. A. E. Goblett), Mary J. (Mrs. S. H. Hunt), Henry N., Martha L., Minerva, Matilda and Cora Bell. Their mother was born in Williamson County, Tenn., February 20, 1832. Mr. Ledbetter owns a farm of 800 acres on which he raises large numbers of Jive stock. His farm is well watered by ever-flowing springs, and some coal beds on them have been sufficiently developed to prove them of great value. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
William H. Loggins is a son of Thomas and Elizabeth (Baugus) Loggins, who were born in Montgomery and Humphreys Counties, Tenn., respectively. Both came to Perry County when young, and here they married and spent the remainder of their lives. The father was a farmer, and died in 1871. The mother’s death occurred in 1869. Our subject is one of two surviving members of a family of five children, and was born in Perry County, Tenn., September 17, 1857. He resided at home until the family was broken up by his father’s death. He was then a farm laborer for eight years, and on November 17, 1879, his marriage with Tennessee Jane Ingram was celebrated. He soon purchased the farm where he now resides, which consists of 384 acres, and soon purchased another farm of 165 acres. To Mr. and Mrs. Loggins four interesting children were born, namely: Docia Elizabeth, deceased; Benjamin Littleton, deceased; Ada Azahie, deceased; and William Thomas, still living. Mr. Loggins is a prosperous farmer, and a man highly esteemed by all who know him.
Capt. Henry H. Long was born in Perry County, Tenn., July 14, 1834, the seventh of twelve children of Hugh W. and Martha A. (Burnett) Long, and of Irish descent. His father and mother were born in Rutherford County, N. C., and Petersburg, Va., September 22, 1798, and September 12, 1799, respectively. The father married in North Carolina, and in 1831 came to Tennessee and purchased 265 acres of land in Perry County. He reared his family in what is now Decatur County, but was then Perry County. He died November 2, 1849, and the mother September 12 1865. Our subject has always spent his life on a farm. He learned the tanner’s trade, but abandoned the business after serving his apprenticeship. His marriage to Eveline Simmons took place in Perry County, March 23, 1854. She is a daughter of Benjamin Simmons, and was born October 10, 1834. They have four children: Sarah A., Frances E., James N. and John W. Mr. Long served in the Federal Army in the Second Tennessee Cavalry under Col. 0. N. Haney, and served through the latter part of the late war. After the general surrender he was mustered out at Nashville, Tenn., in May, 1865. He is a stanch Republican, and a conservative and liberal reasoner in politics. He is a Mason, and he and wife are members of the Missionary Baptist Church. Capt. Long has a fine farm of 453 acres of land and a substantial and commodious residence.
Aaron R. McCage, farmer, and native of the county, was born September 6, 1841, and is one of ten children — six living — born to William B. and Winnie (Potter) McCage, who were both Tennesseans. They were married in Hickman County, and then moved to Lobelville in the early settlement of Perry County. In 1842 they moved to Henderson County, and after a twelve years’ residence the family returned to Perry County. The mother died while in West Tennessee, and the father afterward married Mrs. (Crowder) Burchard in 1856, a native of Maury County. The father died August 10, 1874. Aaron B. remained at home until the commencement of the war, when he enlisted in the Fifty-third Tennessee Infantry, and served with it until the fall of Fort Donelson, when he enlisted in the Tenth Tennessee Cavalry, and served until the close. April 5, 1808, he married Martha Jane Burchard, and six children have blessed their union. In 1871 Mr. McCage came into possession of the old homestead, a farm of 200 acres, near the mouth of Lagoon Creek. Just in front of Mr. McCage’s residence is a large cave, containing very rich saltpeter veins, but it has never been explored very far. The family are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
Robert H. Patterson is the eighth of nine children of Robert C. and Malinda W. (Carson) Patterson, and was born on Christmas day, 1838, in Perry County, Tenn. His father was a Virginian, born in 1797, and remained in his native State until twelve years of age. He then came with his father to Tennessee and settled in Bedford County. Here he was reared, educated and married. He moved to Hickman soon after the latter event and, after a two years’ residence there, came to Perry County and settled on Tom Creek. His wife was also a Virginian, born in 1800. The father died in 1873 and the mother in 1859. Robert H. received a common school education, and was married, January 17, 1856, to Mary E. Blackburn, daughter of Leroy Blackburn. Mrs. Patterson was born in Bedford County November 29, 1835, and became the mother of six children: Robert L., James W., Malinda E., David C., Emma J. and William L. Our subject served in the Confederate Army in the Tenth Tennessee Cavalry Regiment under Col. N. N. Cox, of Franklin, Tenn. He was captured at the siege of Knoxville, and kept a prisoner at Fort Delaware for thirteen months. Mr. Patterson is a Democrat, and owns 260 acres of good land, on which he cultivates the cereals to some extent and gives considerable attention to stock raising, but makes peanuts his chief market product.
Ezra R. Patterson is one of five children of William and Sarah M. (Branch) Patterson. He is of Irish lineage and was born in Perry County, Tenn., February 8, 1846. His early days were spent on a farm and in attending the common schools. During the late war he served about nine months in the Ninth Tennessee Cavalry Confederate States Army, under Col. Biffie, and was paroled at Selma, Ala. October 24, 1867, he wedded Martha M. Horner, daughter of John V. Horner, and to their union were born the following children: Emma Elnora, Viola Josephine, Laura Lee, William V., Cora Elizabeth, Robert E., Jesse Harvey and Elbert Foster. Mrs. Patterson was born in Perry County, Tenn., December 7, 1845. Mr. Patterson is a Democrat in his political views, and is the owner of 200 acres of excellent land about thirteen miles from Linden. His farm is devoted chiefly to the production of peanuts, but he also raises the cereals to some extent. His father was born in Perry County, May 25, 1818, and was twice married, our subject being born to his first marriage. He died at his home near Tom Creek, June 15, 1865. His second wife was Sallie Nix, by whom he had six children. Our subject’s mother was born on the 15th of December, 1819, and died June 28, 1852.
Charles L. Pearson, native of London, Eng., was born in 1831, and is a son of Henry Robert Pearson and Anne (Harris) Pearson, both natives of England, where the father held the office of chief clerk of the Treasury Department, when he retired after forty-three years continual service. The mother died in 1833, and in 1838 he wedded Charlotte Cousens, who is still living in England. The father died in 1870. At the age of fifteen our subject entered the royal navy of England, and after ten years’ service, at the close of the Crimean war, during which he was actively engaged, he retired with the rank of lieutenant. He then came to Niagara, Canada, where he accepted a position as professor of mathematics in the high school, and served one year. He then went to New York and was engaged in the insurance business a few months, after which he followed teaching in Illinois and Iowa until 1860, when he came to Perry County, Tenn., and continued his former occupation until 1865. Since that time his chief occupations have been merchandising and filling various county offices as deputy until 1882, when he was elected clerk of the county court, and still holds the office. March 8, 1865, he married Georgiana P. Brooks, of Williamson County, Tenn., and thirteen children blessed their union, only six now living. The eldest child, George W. Pearson, is a promising young attorney of Linden, and a graduate of Cumberland University. He received his diploma at the age of nineteen, being probably one of the youngest men ever admitted to the bar in Tennessee. Mr. Pearson and family are church members.
Egbert Haywood Shepard's birth occurred in Wilson County, Tenn., October 12, 1825. He is one of eight children, three now living, born to William and Jane (Britewell) Shepard, who were born and married in the Old Dominion, and came to Perry County, Tenn., in 1829 and located on Cane Creek, where they farmed until their respective deaths. At the early age of eighteen our subject was united in marriage to Naomi Wilburn, of Perry County, who died November 17, 1879, having borne six children, five of whom are still living. November 17, 1881, Mr. Shepard wedded Mary Jane Smith, and one child, Samuel Clinton, has blessed their union. In November, 1862, Mr. Shepard enlisted in the Tenth Tennessee Confederate Cavalry, and remained on duty until his capture, while raising a battalion for his regiment. He has since farmed, and has followed merchandising since February, 1882, at Beardstown. In 1849 Mr. Shepard located on his present farm of 1,100 acres, near the junction of Buffalo River and Cane Creek. He was formerly an old line Whig, but since the death of that party has given his support to the Democratic party. In a cave on his farm saltpeter was formerly made.
Thetus W. Sims is a Wayne County Tennessean, born in 1852, one of six surviving members of a family of eight children born to George W. and Jennie (Whitson) Sims, natives of Giles and Hickman Counties, Tenn., respectively. The father’s life has been spent on a farm. He removed to Wayne County at an early day and was there married, and resided in that and Hardin Counties until 1877, at which time he moved to the Lone Star State, where he still resides. The mother’s death occurred in 1879. Our subject resided with his parents on the farm until twenty-two years of age, when he entered the law department of the Cumberland University, from which institution he graduated in 1876. He then located in Linden, his native town, where he has since made his home. December 26, 1877, he led to the hymeneal altar Nannie H. Kittrell, a native of Maury County, and their union has been blessed in the birth of four children: Edna E., Erskine Kent, Tommie and Bessie.
James L. Sloan was born in Rhea County, Tenn., in 1841, son of James B. and Mary A. (Starrett) Sloan. The father was born in ‘New York and the mother in Virginia. They were married in the latter State and moved to Tennessee, locating in Rhea County, in 1836, where they remained until the father’s death in 1845. The mother returned to her former home in Virginia, where she remained until 1854, then returned to Tennessee, and died at her son’s’ residence in Linden October 24, 1885, at the advanced age of eighty-nine years. Our subject remained with his mother until the beginning of the war, when he enlisted in the Eleventh Tennessee Infantry, being second lieutenant of his company until the close of the war. After the first year of the war he was frequently detailed on the ordnance department, being an iron and brass molder by trade. At the close of the war he returned to Nashville, but soon after moved to Centreville, Hickman Co., Tenn., at which place he was admitted to the bar. In 1869 he located at Linden, where he has since enjoyed a large and lucrative practice in Perry and adjoining counties. January 8, 1861, he married Sarah W. Corbitt, of Nashville, and of their ten children, five are living: Walter N., Mary F., Chester L. H., Leonidas W. and James P. Mr. Sloan is a member of the F. & A. M., I. O. O. F., K. of H. and I. O. W. M. He is Post Junior Grand Warden of F. & A. M.
Alvin Tate, farmer, of Perry County, Tenn., was born February 14, 1851, and is one of nine surviving members of a family of twelve children born to Lomuel and Polly Ann (Stricklin) Tate, both natives of Perry County, where they lived and followed farming during the father’s life. The father was born September 13, 1822, and the mother February 25, 1825. The former died February 6, 1882. The mother is yet living and makes her home with one her of sons. Alvin Tate, our subject, made his home with his parents until his marriage to Nellie Loveless, which took place March 3, 1872. He farmed the home place until 1880, when he purchased the farm, consisting of 350 acres of land, where he now resides and has been a successful tiller of the soil. To his union with Miss Loveless seven children were born, all of whom are living. Mr. Tate gives his support to the Democratic party, and is one of the prosperous and well respected citizens of the county.
Hon. Jesse Taylor first saw the light of day in Dixon County, Tenn., March 10,1816,and is the only living member of a family of eleven children born to William and Mary (Bredwell) Taylor. The father was born in South Carolina, and the mother in the Old Dominion. They were married in the Palmetto State, and came to Tennessee at a very early (lay, locating first in Dickson County, and then coming to Perry County about 1828. They died at the home place, about four miles west of Linden, in August, 1834, and in September, 1839, respectively. Jesse Taylor resided with his parents till the age of eighteen, then married Betsey Wood, and has since followed farming. He served as county court clerk of Perry County two terms, and was elected to the third term, but resigned in November; 1867, having been called upon to represent Perry and Decatur Counties in the General Assembly of Tennessee. He filled the office one term of two years (1867 and 1868). To the marriage above referred to seven children were born — three of whom are still living. Mrs. Taylor died February 14, 1885, and April 14, the same year, Mr. Taylor wedded Mary A. Ledbetter, who was born in Perry County. Mr. Taylor owns a fine farm of 400 acres, and on this farm repose the remains of John T. Tally, an old Revolutionary soldier.
Thomas B. Twilla is a native of Maury County, Tenn., born December 3, 1832, son of William ‘F. and Lucinda (Garner) Twilla, who were born in North Carolina and Tennessee, respectively. They were married and remained in Maury County a few years; thence moved to Hickman County, where their deaths occurred in 1861 and 1862, respectively. Thomas B. resided under the paternal roof until 1857, when he took for his helpmeet through life, Catherine Owens, to which union four children were born: John H., Elizabeth, James W. and Anna. Mrs. Twilla died in 1871, and a year later Mr. Twilla married Mrs. Sarah E. (Niblett) Roberts. Of eight children born to them six are living. Since 1878 Mr. Twilla has been a resident of Perry County. One of his farms adjoins Lobelville on the south, and contains 380 acres, and is the site of what is known as the Indian Spring, so called from supposed Indian works, which exist in the vicinity. In 1884 he moved to his farm of 130 acres north of Lobelville. On this farm is a fine cave spring. Mr. and Mrs. Twilla are members of the Christian Church.
John L. Vaughan, a prominent farmer of Perry County, Tenn., was born in Marshall County, Miss., January 21, 1847, and is one of four surviving members of a family of eight children born to William and Melissa (Craig) Vaughan. The father was born in Virginia and came to Williamson County, Tenn., where he married our subject’s mother, then moved to Marshall County, Miss., where he became overseer of a plantation. About 1848 or 1849 he moved to Perry County, Tenn., where he followed farming until his death in 1865. The mother died in about 1850. After the father’s death our subject followed the harness-maker’s trade in Franklin, Tenn., for five years; then engaged in the livery business and farmed iii the county about five years longer. In 1875 he began farming in Perry County, buying his present home farm in 1880. His farm consists of 500 acres of land on Buffalo River. Mr. Vaughan is a Democrat, and September 26, 1877, was married to Martha Steward, who was born in Decatur County and is the mother of three children: Myrtle Estelle, Minnie A. and Sallie M.
William C. Webb was born in the county where he now lives in 1840, the only living child of a family of seven children of John L. and Polly K (McAnally) Webb. The father was born in North Carolina in May, 1811, and with his parents, John and Elizabeth Webb, came to Tennessee about 1820. Here he married and farmed. He was sheriff of the county a number of years, and died in January, 1884. The mother died about 1874. William C. Webb attended the commercial college in St. Louis, Mo., during the session of 1859-60, and from the latter date and until the breaking out of the war was engaged in the mercantile business. He enlisted in the Sixth Tennessee Federal Cavalry as a private, and served until the close of the war, and was discharged as captain of Company G, of his regiment. On his return home he was elected sheriff of Perry County, which position he resigned after two months’ service, and resumed his former occupation of merchandising, following it in Decatur County twelve months. He then returned to Perry County, and in 1867 was appointed collector of revenues for the Sixth Congressional District, comprising twelve counties, and held the position two years. In 1873 he erected his fine merchant, grist, planing and saw-mill on the sources of Buffalo River, one mile from Linden, and is doing a good business. In 1860 he married Martha A. Dodson, of Perry County, and to their union twelve children were born, seven of whom are living. In 1883 Mr. Webb was appointed chancery court clerk of the county, and is filling the office faithfully and efficiently. He and family are members of the Christian Church, and he is a member of the K. of H. and F. & A. M. He is a Prohibitionist, casting the only vote in the county for St. John in 1884.
William T. Weems is a son of Augustus and Susan (Tatom) Weems, and is of Scotch descent. Both parents were born in Dickson County, Tenn., the former in 1818 and the latter in 1824. The father has been a resident of Perry County since 1823. William T., our subject, is the eldest of eight children, and was born in Perry County October 18, 1849. His early days were spent on the farm and in attending the common schools. In connection with his farming he follows the blacksmith’s trade, which he learned when young, and is doing fairly well, from a financial standpoint. He owns sixty acres of land, and grain is the principal production. Mr. Weems was married in Perry County, Tenn., February 4, 1869, to Mary J. Lewis. daughter of J. D. Lewis, a farmer and blacksmith. They have three children: Ella Eugenie, Jesse A. and George F. Mrs. Weems was born in Perry County, on Deer Creek, March 8, 1851. Mr. Weems is a stanch Republican and a member of the Masonic fraternity, Dunaway Lodge, No. 440. He and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.
Judge Thomas Whitwell, born in Hickman County, Tenn., August 28. 1826, is one of five surviving children born to Pleasant and Margaret (Anderson) Whitwell, both natives of Barren County, Ky. They and their parents were early immigrants to Tennessee, coming to Hickman County in 1823, and were married in Dickson County and came to Perry County in 1837. The father died December 20, 1875, and the mother in July, 1877. Pleasant Whitwell was Perry County’s first county court clerk, after the county was divided in 1846, serving two terms of four years each, to 1854. November 25, 1847, our subject was united in marriage to Malissa C. Ward, who was born in Perry County, and to their union were born a family of ten children, all of whom are living. In 1879 Mr. Whitwell moved to his present home, a tract of 1,200 acres lying along Hurricane Creek, some of the bluffs of which contain rich deposits of sulphate of iron (copperas). In August, 1870, Mr. Whitwell was elected judge of Perry County, which office he still holds. The Judge is an old member of the F. & A. M. He was re-elected judge August 5, 1886, for eight years, making three terms of eight years each.
John M. Young is a native of Perry County, Tenn., born April 4, 1840, the eldest of five children of Samuel and Elizabeth (Ledhetter) Young, and of Irish extraction. His father, a native of Tennessee, was born in Dickson County in April, 1816, and was brought to Perry County when only two years of age, and here has since resided. He is yet hale and vigorous, and has held the following offices in the county: sheriff, magistrate and trustee. The mother was born in Lincoln County, Tenn., in 1818, and came to Perry County at the age of nineteen. She is still living at the old homestead in fair health and activity. Our subject has always made farming his chief business in life. August 23, 1863, he wedded Sarah E. Ledbetter, who was born September 10, 1834, and daughter of G. C. Ledbetter, whose sketch appears in this work. Mr. and Mrs. Young have five living children: Samuel G., Robert T., William H., John Brownlow and James Walker. Mr. Young is a warm Republican, and he and Mrs. Young are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He owns a farm of 300 acres on Buffalo River, on which is erected a commodious and substantial residence. Mr. Young has served two terms as magistrate, and one year as deputy sheriff of the county. He is considered one of the influential men of the county, and, so far as his means will justify, aids all laudable enterprises.
Perry History Page
Table of Contents Page
Perry County TNGenWeb Home Page
This page last updated on Friday, October 10, 2003