The eastern and central portions of Perry County lie on the western slope of the Highland Rim, and the western portion in the valley of the Tennessee River. It is bounded north by Humphreys, east by Hickman and Lewis, south by Wayne, and west by the Tennessee River, which separates it from the county of Decatur. Its area is about 400 square miles, or 256,000 acres, with a very small portion under cultivation. The length of the county north and south is about double its width east and west. The Buffalo River flows through the county from south to north, and so divides it as to leave about one-third of the area to the cast and two-thirds to the west. The Buffalo Ridge runs through the county west of and parallel with the Buffalo River, and averages about three-fourths of a mile distant therefrom. This ridge is about 700 feet above sea level, and 300 feet above the adjacent valleys. It has a rapid descent toward the Buffalo River, and a more gradual descent toward the Tennessee. This ridge has numerous arms, or branch ridges, extending westward, between which the creeks rise and flow into the Tennessee River. The sources of these creeks are only about one and a half miles west of Buffalo River, and their names, beginning at the north are Crooked, Roan, Tom, Deer, Lick, Spring, Cypress, Marsh, Cedar, Bee and White Oak. A few spring branches flow from the eastern escarpment of this ridge into Buffalo River. The eastern part of the county is a series of ridges extending east and west, between which the creeks rise and flow westward into Buffalo River. The names of these creeks, beginning at the north, are Lost, Russell, Lagoon, Cane, Brush, Coon, Short, Hurricane, Rockhouse and Sinking. All the ridges are covered with a dense growth of the oak in its varieties, and chestnut, gum ,dogwood, etc. The valleys and hillsides contain oak, poplar, walnut, beech, ash, etc. The soil of the ridges is thin, flinty and sterile, while that of the valleys is alluvial and sufficiently charged with flinty gravel and coarse sand to make it easy of cultivation. The latter soil is very productive, and well adapted to the growing of Indian corn, oats, peanuts, rye and the grasses.
The geology of the county, as given by the State Board of Agriculture, is as follows: "Blue and gray limestones outcrop in all the valleys excepting a few in the northern part of the county. These limestones belong to the formations known among the geologists as Niagara and Lower Helderberg. Many of the bluffs along the Tennessee River are made up of their strata. There are a number of gladly places in the county, formed by the outcrops of the Niagara limestones, which have supplied geologists at home and abroad with fine specimens of fossils. Many of these fossils have been taken to Europe. Above the Lower Helderberg limestones, which are generally thin bedded, blue and full of fossils, lies the black shale, a formation which everywhere attracts attention, mainly because it is mistaken as an indication of stone-coal. This bed ranges in thickness from a few feet to thirty or more. Above the black shale, and constituting the mass of tops of the ridges, is the siliceous division of the Lower Carboniferous. The lower strata of this division are often silico-calcareous shales, mixed, more or less, with lime-stones. The upper portion contains more limestone, which often shows cherty masses; the latter, being liberated, cover, more or less, the tops of the ridges.
More than one-half of all the land in the county is charged with iron ore. There seems to be an almost inexhaustible supply of this mineral. It is found, however, in the greatest quantities along Marsh, Cedar and Sinking Creeks. "Along time creeks and on the west side of Buffalo Ridge blossoms outcrop in dark, bluish boulders, whose great weight shows iron to be the predominant ingredient. The Cedar Grove Iron Furnace was erected on Cedar Creek, near its mouth, by Wallace Dixon, about the year 1834. It was rebuilt about twelve years later by Ewing McNickle & Co. It was afterward run by different persons, and suspended operations in 1862, and has not been run since. It used to make 1,500 tons of pig metal annually. A rough species of reddish, varigated marble, useful and beautiful for building purposes, is found in great quantities, in different parts of the county. There is a mine of wealth in the "bowels of the earth," in Perry County, remaining undeveloped. The cheap means of transportation for heavy articles, which the Tennessee River furnishes, will undoubtedly lead capital to this mine, and cause it to be developed in some future day.
It can not be said who was the first settler of Perry County. The settlements were made in the valleys along the water-courses, and have ever-since been confined to those localities. There is no account of settlements prior to 1818, but it is evident that a number of individuals settled in the territory of the county before that date. Robert Patterson, whose son William was born on Tom Creek in 1818; Ferney Stanley, who taught the first school in the county, on the same creek, in 1820; Rev. Wm. Hodge, Rev. Samuel Atkins, John Stanley, Wm. O. Britt, Enoch Hooper and John Young, all settled on Tom Creek about the year 1818. 'William Patterson, now deceased, if not the first, was among the first born in the county. The family of Whitwells, Thomas, John, Samuel and James Lomax, Homer Cude, James Salmon, John Anderson, Rev. Joseph Kelley and Jesse Depriest were among the first settlers on Cane Creek. Jacob Huffstedler, born on board of a sailship en route from Germany to America in 1775, settled with his family on Cane Creek in 1821. John Homer, Elbert Matthews, Jerry Holligan and James Wilkins and their families settled on Buffalo River, near Beardstown about the year 1824. Joseph Pucker, from North Carolina, settled on the farm now owned by E. Dodson, near Linden. Isaac W. Stanly settled on Buffalo River, and was surveyor of Perry County for many years. James Dixon (at whose house the county of Perry was organized), James Yates, Wiley Tanner, John and Jesse Newton and others settled on Lick Creek as early at least as 1818. Joseph Brown, William and Nathan Ward and Nat. Dabbs were among the first settlers on Marsh Creek. Samuel Denton, John Tracy and Jesse Childress settled on Cedar Creek about 1818. Joshua Briley, Thomas Evans, Nicholas Welch and James Scott were the first settlers on White Oak Creek. Jacob Fraley, George Hollabough and John Webb settled on Sinking Creek about 1818 or 1820, and about the same time David Hogan, Hodge Adams and Nancy Randal settled on Rockhouse Creek. Allen Barber and the Jarmons settled on Hurricane Creek, and John Siser, John Turner, Elijah Duncan and the Cobles on Brush Creek, and Thomas Dowdy, Joshua Cotes and Abraham Barber on Coon Creek. Other early settlers of the county were Wm. Holmes, John L. Houston, Oswald Griffin, John Wins, Green B. Newsom,West Wood, John A. Rains, Aaron Lewis, Jacob Harmon, Mark Murphy and Joseph Dixon. The first steam-boat that passed up the Tennessee River, was the "General Green," in 1819. Many of the pioneer settlers visited the river to see the great curiosity.
James Dixon built the first horse-mill in the county, on Lick Creek, about the year 1820, and the first water-mill in the county was erected on Cedar Creek in 1821, by John Tracy. The first merchant in the county was James Yates, who began business about the year 1819, on Tom Creek. The first cotton-gin was erected on Cedar Creek in 1821, by Samuel Denton. The raising of cotton was not a prominent industry in the county until after the close of the civil war, when the farmers engaged in it extensively for a few years; but, finding it unprofitable, they have now almost entirely abandoned it. For some years past the leading industry among the farmers has been, and is now, the cultivation of peanuts, of which there are from 500,000 to 800,000 bushels produced annually in the county, this being one of the leading counties in the State for that product. The number of bushels of cereals raised in Perry County, in 1885, was as follows: Indian corn, 423,461; rye, 565; barley, 125; oats, 23,874; wheat, 16,051. The number of animals reported in the county were: horses and mules, 2,462; cattle, 4,806; sheep, 4,799; hogs, 16,764. The number of dogs is not reported, but it is declared, on good authority, that there are more clogs than sheep in the county. Two or three curs and five or six hounds constitute the ordinary pack of dogs owned by many individuals. Owing to the fact that only a small portion of the land is cleared, thus leaving extensive forests, wild animals, such as deer, wildcats, foxes, coons, etc., and wild turkeys, still abound in considerable numbers. The people enjoy the sport of hunting, hence the great number of dogs. When the county was .flrst settled the above-enumerated animals, and also bears, wolves and panther were numerous. There are none of the latter now remaining.
Perry County is somewhat noted for its tanneries. The first yard established in the county was at a place on the Tennessee River known as Rat Tail, by Charles Gotthardt, a native of Germany. This yard was started about 1843, receiving its peculiar name from the circumstance of its having been infested with rats disembarked from a St. Louis barge loaded with hides. During the ten years succeeding the foregoing date, ten tan-yards were established at different points in the county, and the annual product of all then within the county, according to the best estimates that can now be made, was $50,000. The war and its consequences have compelled all these tanneries, excepting two, to suspend operations. Of the two remaining, the one owned by Robert Houssels was established at its present site in 1868, and now yields an annual product amounting in value to $75,000. The other one, owned by James B. Sutton, yields an annual product amounting in value to $5,000. Mouse Tail, on the Tennessee River, named in contra-distinction of the old landing, Rat Tail, now in disuse, is the principal place of shipment for the tanning products. The number of green hides required to supply these tanneries is about 7,000, nearly all of which are shipped from the North.
A number of grist-mills, sufficient to supply the demands of the county, have been erected at different points. Saw-mills have been constructed on the creeks, principally for getting out black-walnut and poplar lumber for shipment. The supply of walnut timber has been exhausted, but there is a large quantity of good poplar timber still remaining. Immense quantities of lumber, shingles and tan-bark have been shipped on the Tennessee River from this county to St. Louis and other points in the North. Between 1866 and 1880 Thomas Whitwell operated a wool-carding-mill on Rockhouse Creek. It was then removed to Hurricane Greek, where Messrs. Henderson & Williams have recently rebuilt it and supplied it with new machinery throughout. During the seventies Josiah Bastian operated a woolen-mill on Cane Creek.
The county of Perry was created by an act of the General Assembly of the State, passed in November, 1819. The act provided "that a new county be established north of Wayne, west of Hickman, and south of Humphreys, by the name of Perry County, beginning at the southeast corner of Humphreys, running west, thence south, thence east, thence north to place of beginning, and to include all the territory lying between Humphreys, Hardin, Wayne and Hickman Counties." The act also provided that, until otherwise directed, the quarter sessions and circuit court should be held at the house of James Yates, on Tom Creek, or at such other place in said county as the justices thereof might select. The territory originally included in the county embraced, in addition to what it now contains, nearly all of Decatur County.
The first magistrates (justices) of the county were James Dixon, Joseph Brown, Wm. O. Britt, Wm. Holmes, John L. Houston, Oswald Griffin, Enoch Hooper, Mr. Nunn and Green B. Newsom. The house of James Dixon, on Lick Creek, was the place selected by the magistrates for holding their first session, and there, on the first Monday of January, 1820, they met and organized the county of Perry. Joseph Brown was elected chairman of the court of quarter sessions (county court), and the first county officers were elected as follows: Wm. Jarmon, clerk; West Wood, sheriff; John A. Rains, register; Aaron Lewis, trustee; Jacob Harmon, ranger; Mark Murphy, coroner; Joseph Dixon and four others were elected constables. The first courts were held, as stated, at the house of James Dixon, and the next at the house of Mr. Barry, on Tom Creek. In 1821, the year following the organization, the county seat was established at Perryville, on the west bank of the Tennessee River. An act of the General Assembly, passed in November, 1845, provided that all the territory of Perry County lying west of the Tennessee River be formed into a new county, to be known as the county of Decatur. Accordingly, in 1846, the county of Perry was divided and the county of Decatur established, with the Tennessee River as the boundary line between the two counties. The courts of Perry County were then adjourned to Harrisburg, a point three miles south of Linden. Here the v were held two years. Meanwhile the location of the new county seat was the absorbing question of the citizens. Harrisburg and Linden were the competing points. An election was held, and it was decided in favor of Linden by a majority of six votes; and in 1848 the county seat was permanently established at Linden, where it still remains. The site of Liii-den, consisting of forty acres, was donated to the county by David B. Harris. He reserved a few lots, and named the place Linden at the suggestion of Maj. Thomas M. Brashear. The town was surveyed into lots, including a public square for county buildings. The lots were sold, and the proceeds of the sales thereof were appropriated to defray the expense of erecting public buildings. The county has been divided into eleven civil districts.
The first court house at Perryville was built of logs and the second one of brick. The latter was used until the division of the county in 1846. The first court house at Linden was also made of logs. This was replaced in 1849-50 with a frame building. The latter was consumed by fire during the late civil war, together with all records therein contained. Some of the public records, being in offices outside of the courthouse, were preserved. The present court house is a very substantial and quite ornamental brick structure of two stories, with the county offices on the first floor and the court rooms on the second. It was erected in 1868 at a cost of $9,500. The present jail is a small two-story brick building, with two cells for prisoners. It was erected in 1872 at a cost of about $3,500. It has recently been condemned on account of its insufficiency, and the county court is now negotiating for its reconstruction, or the building of a new one.
In December, 1880, the county purchased a farm consisting of 77 acres, with buildings thereon, of W. C. and J. L. Webb, for $3,000. Some expenses have since been incurred in the construction and repair of sufficient buildings. On this farm, which lies on the east side of Buffalo River, about a mile above Linden, a home for the paupers of the county is provided. The average number of persons thus annually provided for is about eight. The county is without a railroad, but has for the transportation of its products the advantages afforded by the Tennessee River.
The tax duplicate for the county for the year 1886 shows 253,858 acres of land and fifty-seven town lots, assessed at $699,043, and personal property assessed at $80,913, making a total assessment of $779,956. The total tax levied and charged thereupon is $8,984.64. By reference to the last amount, allowing a small percentage to be uncollectable, the reader can approximate the receipts and expenditures for the year. The number of taxable polls in the county is 1,098.
County Court Clerks since the war - Jesse Taylor, 1865-67; John Taylor, 1867-68; R. A. Guthrie, 1868-70; T. J. Lewis, 1870-74; P. P. Pickard, 1874-82; C. L. Pearson, 1882-86. Registers since 1840 (the records of that office prior to that date having been destroyed) - J. A. Rains, 1841-46; Thomas Lomax, 1846-82; R. A. Kimbel, 1882-86. As Mr. Rains was the first register it is probable that he served from 1820 to 1846. Sheriffs - West Wood, 1820-28; John Easley, 1828-32; Larkin Baker, 1832-34; Madison Harris, 1834-36; Wm. Welch, 1836-42; Abner Coleman, 1842-43; Hugh B. Hand, 1813-46; Thomas Simmons, 1846-47; John L. Webb, 1847-48; James Kelley, 1848-52; Moses Bates, 1852-56; James H. Brown, 1856-58; Moses Bates, 1858-62; * * * James M. Dodson, 1866-68; Henry H. Long, 1868-70; John L. Webb, 1870-74; Wm. J. Flowers, 1874-76; Edward W. Ensley, 1876-78; A. D. Craig, 1878-82; J. M. Hunt, 1882-83. Chancery court clerks and masters - James H. Kinzer, 1854-58; I. N. Hulme, 1858-60; R. M. Thomas, 1860; T. N. Brashear, 1865-68; H. J. Young, 1868-71; T. W. Edwards, 1871-77; W. A. Edwards, 1877-83; W. C. Webb, 1883-86. Circuit court clerks since 1846 - F. H. Kimble, 1846-50; T. W. Edwards, 1850-58; B. G. Rickman, 1858 to war period; J. P. Ledbetter, 1865-70; Lewis C. Waggoner, 1870-74; T. J. Evans, 1874-78; James F. Dodson, 1878-82; J.W.Lewis, 1882-86. The county has been represented in the Legislature by Messrs. H. M.. Brown, Robt. Crudup, Charles Graham, Thomas N. Brashear, Hartwell Barham, F. H. Kimble, William S. Maxwell, William N. Baker, Jesse Taylor, C. B. Dodson and J. B. Daniel, and in the State Senate by H. H. Brown, Thomas M. Brashear and Warren Smith. The population of the county is 7,200. The county tax levied for 1886 is 15 cents on each $100 of taxable property, and 50 cents on each poll.
Sufficient mention of the action of the county court has been made above. It resumed its authority at the close of the war, when martial law was succeeded by the civil, and held its first session in April, 1865. It now consists of Judge Thomas Whitwell and the following magistrates: H. A. Culp, C. Lineberry, C. T. Wiley, William Briley, W. T. Weems, J. B. Dickson, S. M. Barnett, H. H. Long, J. G. Edwi, P.Whitwell, J. B. Gregory, W. A. Hix, J. R. Bates, W. H. Lancaster, S. V. Alberson, Edmond Harder, N. J. Hinson, M. M. Little, J. P. Ledbetter and H. J. Bumpass. The first term of the circuit court was held at the house of James Dixon, on Lick Creek, in the spring of 1820, Judge Humphreys presiding. The early records of this court have been destroyed, so that no connected sketch of its actions can now be compiled. Prior to the formation of the chancery court, the circuit court had jurisdiction over the chancery practice. The first term of the chancery court of Perry County was begun and held in Linden on the first Thursday after the third Monday of June, 1854, with Hon. Stephen C. Pavatt, chancellor, presiding. This court, as well as the other courts, did not convene during the war period. The records of this court have been well kept and were not destroyed during the war. The Perry County bar consists of James L. Sloan, T. W. Sims, L. W. Morrison and George Pearson. Other lawyers, who have resided in the county and practiced for a few years, are H. E. Rice, H. C. Carter and J. W. Doharty.
Linden, the county seat of justice, is located on the west bank of Buffalo River, about three miles southeast of the geographical center of the county, and about ten miles east of Perryville, the former county seat. The first dwelling-houses in the town were erected in 1847 by Jesse Taylor and Miles Prince. John L. Webb kept the first hotel, commencing in 1849, and Dr. Wm. C. Moore opened the first store in 1847. He was the first physician and also the first postmaster. Linden was incorporated in 1848, and the charter repealed in 1853. For some years prior to the latter date, Linden was infested with saloons and intemperance prevailed to an alarming extent. To overcome this evil, the better class of citizens petitioned the Legislature to abolish the charter. This being done, the saloons had to close up in obedience to the four-mile law and there is now not a saloon in Perry County where liquors are sold. The town of Linden now consists of the county buildings, two hotels, two schoolhouses (the Linden High School and the colored free school), one Union Church, three stores, one restaurant, some mechanics' shops and about twenty-five dwelling-houses and 200 inhabitants, three doctors and four lawyers. The Linden Times, a weekly newpaper, was published in 1881-82 by S. L. Neely, and in 1882-83 by C. L. Pearson, and in 1883-84 by W. N. Sloan, since which time it has been suspended. This was the only paper ever published in the county.
Farmers' Valley, on Buffalo River, ten miles above Linden, has a postoffice, two stores and a warehouse. Theodore is a post-hamlet on Hurricane Creek, with a wool-carding-mill, grist-mill and saw-mill. Beardstown, established in 1830, and named after George' Beard, its first merchant, is a post-village pleasantly located on a high bluff on the west side of Buffalo River, about eight miles below Linden, and contains two stores and a postoffice. Lobelsville is also a post-village on the west side of Buffalo River, about five miles below Beardstown. It was established in 1854 and named after Henry De Lobel, a French immigrant, who remained here seventeen years and then returned to France. The village contains three stores and a schoolhouse and church combined. Britt's Landing, on the east bank of the Tennessee River, in the lower end of the county, was established in 1839. As early as 1844 it became a point of considerable commercial importance, and still continues as such. The imports of goods for Beardstown, Lobelsville and several other points, are received at this landing. The postoffice at Britt's was established about 1850. Cotton, in considerable quantities, was once shipped from this point, but peanuts have usurped its place, and now no cotton is exported, but from 100,000 to 120,000 bushels of peanuts are shipped annually. Wm. O. Britt & Son are the proprietors of the landing, and also of a large general store and warehouse. Mouse Tail Landing, on the east bank of the Tennessee River, was established in 1840-45, after which Homer & Blackburn conducted a grocery store for a number of years. A warehouse was finally built, and since the era of peanut culture began the place has become an important shipping point. Immense quantities of tan-bark have been shipped from this landing. The postoffice was established here at the close of the late war. The place contains a store and warehouse. Other landings in Perry County on the Tennessee River, are Denson's, Webb's, Cedar Creek, Peters' and New Era. At each of these landings, excepting Webb's, there is a postoffice, store and warehouse; at Webb's there is only a postoffice and warehouse.
Perry County has no military history, prior to the late civil war, worthy of mention. Some of her early settlers were survivors of the war of 1812, and some of her later citizens participated in the war with Mexico. At the outbreak of the Rebellion, a strong Union sentiment prevailed, which was maintained by its adherents throughout the entire struggle. The people were greatly divided, the majority, however, being in favor of a Southern Confederacy. With the citizens of the county the war became intestine. Those favoring the Southern cause were the first to enter the struggle. Early in the spring of 1861 Capt. Lewis Shy enlisted the Perry Guards, and joined the Confederate Army with his company, which became Company G, Twentieth Tennessee Infantry, Zollicoffer's brigade. The Captain had his leg broken early in the war, and then resigned. He was succeeded by Capt. Robert Anderson, and lie by Capt. George Pettigrew. This company lost more men in the battle of Fishing Creek, Ky. than any other company in the regiment. Capt. N. N. Cox (afterward colonel of the Tenth Tennessee) raised a company in Perry County in July, 1861, and with it joined Wheeler's battalion of cavalry. Capt. Wm. H. Harder enlisted the third company in the county, in 1801, mostly from Cedar Creek Valley. This company joined the Twenty-third Tennessee Confederate Infantry. Capt. I. N. Hulme raised the fourth company, the Perry Blues, in November, 1861. This became Company G, Forty-second Tennessee Infantry. The next and fifth company was raised by Capt. W. H. Whitwell early in 1862. This became Company C, Tenth Tennessee Confederate Cavalry. The sixth company was raised by Capt. Bass, and became Company A of the last named regiment. Capt. Elisha Stephens, of Perryville, raised a company (B) for the same regiment. About half of this company enlisted from Perry County. Capt. B. G. Hickman's Company H, of the Tenth Tennessee, was also from Perry County. Enough men to make half of a company went out of the county and joined the Twelfth and Twenty-seventh Tennessee Regiments. There were about (300 men of the county who joined the Confederate Army.
The union men of the county tried to avoid the war by remaining at home. But finding it dangerous to remain where they were constantly harassed by their enemies, concluded to take up arms and fight for their principles. Accordingly Capt. W. C. Webb took the initiatory step, and with about forty men joined the Sixth Tennessee Federal Cavalry and became a part of Company G of that regiment. Afterward Capt. R. A. Guthrie raised a company for the Second Tennessee Mounted Federal Infantry, and Capt. J. W. Taylor raised another company for the same regiment. A number of citizens of the county who were pressed into the Confederate Army early in the war escaped therefrom, and joined different commands in the Federal Army, so that it is fair and safe to estimate the number of Union soldiers furnished by the county at something over 200. In time spring of 1863 Col. Frierson, with about 120 Confederate soldiers, had possession of and commanded the post of Linden; and early one morning Col. Breckenridge and Capt. Webb, with a portion of the Sixth Tennessee Federal Cavalry, took the place by surprise, and captured Col. Frierson and over 50 of his men, and about 100 horses, a number of mules, a, wagon load of arms, and burned the court house in which the Confederates were partially quartered. Only two or three men were killed in this engagement. Near the close of the war a dash was made through Linden by a troop of Confederate Cavalry, when the Federal soldiers were not holding it in force. A few Federal soldiers, however, were there, and all made their escape except one who was captured and killed. The war became desperate here before it closed, as it was conducted mostly by mounted men who ceased to take prisoners. Happily, however, since it has closed, those who were bitter enemies then have become friends, and all bitterness engendered by the war has been forgotten, or at least forgiven.
The first school in. the county of Perry was taught by Ferry Stanley on Tom Creek in 1820; and the first school in Linden was taught by Edwin H. Eldridge about 1848. There were scarcely any educational advantages in Perry County prior to the adoption of the present school system. And for some years after its adoption, the county failed to levy any school tax, thus leaving the schools dependent for support upon the tax derived from the State levy, which was entirely insufficient. Of late years the county has made an annual levy of school tax, and for the year 1886 the county levy is 10 cents on each $100 of taxable property and $1 on each poll. The scholastic population of the county for the year 1885 was as follows: White males, 1,418; white females, 1,313; colored males, 117; colored females, 121 - total 2,969. The number of pupils enrolled in the schools during the year ware: White males, 1,290; white females, 1,210; colored males, 60; colored females, 50 - total 2,610. This shows that 91 per cent of the white children attend the free schools, while only 46 per cent of the colored children attend. The number of schools taught in the county in 1885 were 41 white and 4 colored, and the number of teachers employed were 36 white males, 5 white females, and 4 colored males. The average number of days taught during the year were 70, and the average compensation of teachers per month was $27.50. The total amount expended in the county for school purposes for the year ending June 30, 1886, including teachers' salaries, buildings, superintendent's salary, etc., was $5,641.33.
The Methodists and Primitive Baptists seem to have been the pioneer Christians of Perry County. Rev. John Craig, of the Methodist Church, was the first minister that preached in the county, beginning his labors in 1818-19. The first church edifice was a log structure, erected on Lick Creek by the Primitive Baptists in 1825. Revs. William Hodge and Samuel Akin (or Atkin) were the first ministers to preach in it. The Baptists also erected the first church edifice - a log building - in Linden in 1849, and Rev. Greenberry Mitchell was the first pastor. The first camp-meeting in the county was established on Lick Creek in 1826. Afterward another was established on White Oak Creek, and another near Linden. Services continued to be held at the White Oak camp-ground up to the late war, and since that period no camp-meetings have been held in the county. The leading religious denominations now in the county are the Methodists, Christians and Primitive Baptists. The Cumberland Presbyterians have a church at Lobelsville, and the FreeWill Baptists one on Cedar Creek.
Minnie Duncan, of Perry County, one year old, daughter of Wm. B. and Lizzie Duncan, has more living ancestors than any other person in the State. In the paternal line she has E. T. and Catharine Duncan, grandfather and mother; Elijah and Nancy Duncan, great-grandfather and mother, and in the maternal line of her father a great-grandmother, Mrs. Mary McDonald. In the maternal line B. F. Campbell, grandfather, and W. H. and Martha C. Campbell, great-grandfather and mother. In the maternal line of her mother, Sally Bryson, great-grandmother, and "Granny" Quarles, great-great-grandmother. All of these twelve ancestors live in District No. 10, except the Campbells, who live in District No. 6, both in Perry County. All are Republicans in politics, and useful citizens.
Table of Contents Page
Perry County TNGenWeb Home Page
This page last updated on Friday, October 10, 2003