Hugh D. Maloney, farmer, was born where he now lives, June 6, 1842, the son of William C. and Louisa
(Cureton) Maloney, the former born in Greene County, on the homestead, July 13, 1813, the son of Hugh,
who was born in Ireland in 1781, and became a pioneer farmer of Greene County, and from 1816 to 1836
a justice. He worked out the first road from Warrensburg to Greeneville, and died in 1849. The father was a
farmer, and was county surveyor for several years. He was widely known, and died January 5, 1882. He was
a half brother of Ambrose Hundley Sevier, the well-known Arkansas senator, and diplomat, also grandson of
Henry Conway, who was an officer in the Revolutionary war, and who was stung to death by bees, and buried
with honors of war upon the homestead, from which he had assisted in removing the cane. The mother was
born at Curetons Ferry, Greene County, in 1820, a daughter of Richard Cureton, who was born at the
above place. She was a Methodist, and died August 21, 1886. Our subject was educated at the Knoxville
University, Greeneville College, and Tusculum, College, graduating from the latter in 1860. He then entered the law
department of Cumberland University, and in 1862 joined Company H, Fifth Tennessee Cavalry (Confederate).
He served in various capacities through the war, until paroled at Charlotte, N. C., in May, 1865. While cut off
from his command he fell in with Gen. John H. Morgan and staff, with whom he rode into Greeneville, the evening
before Morgan was killed by the Federals. He was in the battle of Chickamauga, through the North Georgia
campaign, and in the last skirmish in the streets of Columbia, when the city was evacuated by the Confederates.
He has since been successfully engaged on his farm. February 16, 1871, Annie, a daughter of W. C. Scruggs, became
his wife. She was born in Grainger County, June 8, 1853. They have four children.
Henry G. Marsh, a merchant at Home Depot, Greene Co., Tenn., was born at Papersville, Sullivan Co., Tenn.,
January 6, 1850, and is the son of Eli and Harriet J. (Burkh art) Marsh. The father was born near Home, Greene
Co., Tenn., December 5, 1805, and is the son of Gravner and Elizabeth (Oliphant) Marsh. Gravner was a native
of Pennsylvania, and a son of Gravner Marsh, Sr., who immigrated to East Tennessee during its early settlement.
The mother of our subject was born in Sullivan County, Tenn., April 1, 1813, and died in Greene County in 1862.
She was the mother of nine children, six sons and three daughters. Our subject is the youngest but one, and was
reared on the farm, and educated at Bristol and Tusculum. At the age of sixteen years he went to merchandising
at Rheatown, Greene County, and has been merchandising ever since. In 1881 he married Minnie Ramsay, a
daughter of William Ramsay, of Greene County. One daughter, Nina, and one son, Halbert, have blessed the
marriage. Our subject is a self-made man, and is practical and successful in business. He is well respected by
all who know him.
Joseph W. McDannel, trustee, was born in Greeneville, Greene County, January 10, 1855, the son of
Blackstone and Louisa (Britton) Me Dannel, the former born in Knoxville, January 15, 1811, the son of
John McDannel, of Pennsylvania, born in 1787. Marcus McDannel was the next ancestor. John came to
Tennessee in the early part of 1808, settled in Knox County, and on the 12th of July, 1809, married Sarah
Whitson. He served in the Creek Indian war, in Capt. Rufus Morgans company and Col. Browns regiment,
and returned to Knoxville in 1814, and died January 31, 1837. Blackstone, like his father, was a mechanic,
reared in Knoxville, and resident of Greeneville, after 1829. He was first assistant of Maj. Samuel Milligan, a
commissary in the Mexican war, and afterward engaged in the pension and claim agency of the wars of 1812
and 1846. President Lincoln appointed him United States marshal for East Tennessee, both terms, and he was
re-appointed by President Johnson, but, on account of the health of his family, he resigned, and engaged in his
old agency business at Greeneville. He had become intimately acquainted with Andrew Johnson when both were
working at their trades, and they frequently engaged in public debate on the Indian and other questions, and this
was the beginning of the latters career. The mother was born near Greeneville December 27, 1821, the daughter
of James Britton, and granddaughter of Daniel Britton. She was married March 23, 1854, and died in Greeneville
April 8, 1876. Our subject was educated at what is now Grant Memorial University, Athens, Tenn. In 1878 he
became deputy register of Greene County, and then became deputy clerk and master, deputy trustee and deputy
county court clerk, holding all the positions at the same time. In 1886 he was elected as a Republican to his
present office. He is a Mason and an Odd Fellow, and is steward in the Methodist Episcopal Church. August
6, 1872, he married Emma C., a daughter of William G. Hortorb Sr., clerk and master of McMinn County. She
was born August 22, 1855, in the latter county. Two of their five children are living.
J. W. McDannald, of the firm of McDannald & Weems, at Mohawk Postoffice, was born in 1842, in Greene
County, where he has since resided. He was captured in 1861, while crossing the mountains to Kentucky to join
the Federal Army, put in prison on James Island, South Carolina, and kept two years, after which he went to
New York, and from there to Kentucky, and from there to Indiana, where he worked as a hired hand on a farm.
Be hired shortly afterward to the Government as a teamster, at which lie con-tinued until the war closed. He then
engaged in farming for himself, and in 1882 he built and equipped a flouring mill in partnership with Joseph Lane,
style, of firm name being McDannald & Lane. Mr. Lane retired from the firm in 1886. Mr. G. J. Weems was
taken into the firm in 1884, the style of firm being McDannald, Lane & Weems, and upon Mr. Lanes retiring
in 1866, the style of firm name became McDanDald & Weems. The capacity of the mill is fifty barrels per day,
and the mill is generally run day and night, so great is the demand for their flour. Mr. McDannald was married in
1867 to Miss Louisa Wisecarver, a daughter of Samuel Wisecarver, a native of Greene County, Tenn. Five
children blessed their union: Corrie, James A., Samuel, Ernest and Emma. Mrs. McDannald is a member of
the Missionary Baptist Church, and Mr. McDannald is a Republican in politics, and he is an 1. 0. 0. F. He is
the third of six children of James and Leah (Coble) McDannald, natives of Jefferson and Greene Counties,
respectively. Mr. McDannald died in, 1855,aged forty-three years. Mrs. McDannald is still living, and she is
seventy- two years old. Mr, McDannald was Scotch, and Mrs. MeDannald was of Dutch descent. James
McDannald was a son of Alexander and Hannah MeDannald, natives of Jefferson County, Tenn. J. M.
McDannald began life for himself a poor man, and most of what he is now worth is the result of his own
good management. Besides his splendid mill property he owns 200 acres of fine bottom land.
D. W. Mercer, farmer, was born in 1836, in Blount County, but from infancy has led in Greene County. Since
he began, in his twentieth year, he has acquired 162 acres ~at his home, besides eighty-one acres elsewhere. In
1863 he enlisted in Company A, Fourth Tennessee Federal Infantry, as sergeant, and was mustered out August 1,
1865, at Nashville, Tenn. In 1855 Priscilla, a daughter of John Hartman, became his wife. Their children were
John F., Recina, Mary A., Robert (deceased) and Sarah (deceased). His wife died May 21, 1873, and
September 30, 1883, be married Margaret, a daughter of Samuel Henry, of Greene County, Tenn. She is a
Presbyterian, while his first wife was a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. He is a Democrat.
His parents, Elbert F. and Rachel (Thompson) Mercer, are natives of this county. The latter died December
7, 1838. The father then married Mary A. Norwood, a native of Blount County, Tenn., and after her death,
June 20, 1860, married Charlotte Hull, a native of Greene County. He died March 19, 1887. He was a
deputy sheriff of Blount, and a trustee of Greene, County, several years. Mr. Mercer was of English-Irish origin,
and followed carpentering and farming. He was a son of John Mercer.
William E. F. Milburn, lawyer, was born at Milburnton, Greene County, November 15, 18U, the son of Rev.
William and Martha (Frame) Milburn. The former was born near Winchester, Va., September 16, 1797, the
son of Jonathan and Nancy Milburn, natives of Virginia. The former was a soldier in the war of the Revolution,
and a pioneer of Greene County about 1804. The father was a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church for
five years more than half a century. He was during the war of the Rebellion an avowed Union man, and was much
persecuted, and imprisoned by the rebels for his Union sentiments. He was chaplain of the Eighth Regiment
Tennessee Cavalry, Volunteers, United States Army. The mother was born Dear Harpers Ferry, Va., April 10,
1802, and died February 14, 1861. She was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Our subject served
as a soldier from November 20, 1862, to October 25, 1865, in Company B, Twelfth Regiment Tennessee Cavalry,
Volunteers, United States Army, in the war of the Rebellion. He was engaged in the battles of Florence and Shoal
Creek, and Sugar Creek, Ala.; Pulaski, Triune, Clifton, Spring Hill, Columbia, Campbellsville, Franklin and Nashville,
Tenn.; and the fourteen days of continuous skirmishing with Gen. Hoods retreating forces, from Nashville to Eastport,
Miss. After the war be entered school, and was graduated with the degree of A. B., and won the highest honors of the
class of 1871 in the East Tennessee Wesleyan University. For the two successive years, 1872 and 1873, he was
professor of mathematics in his then alma mater. In the year 1874 he was graduated, upon examination, from the
University of Michigan, with the degree of Master of Arts. He was president of the Holston Seminary for one
year, 1874-75, in the meantime reading law, so as to be admitted to the bar in 1876 at Athens, Tenn., his license
being signed by Judge Hayle and Chancellor Bradford. In 1879 he removed to Abilene, Kas., and early in 1880 he
located at Greeneville, Tenn. From January, 18829, to July, 1885, he was special examiner of the United States
Pension Bureau in the State of Kentucky, with headquarters at Bowling Green, after which be resumed the practice
of law at Greeneville. In November. 1886, he was elected, as a Republican, to represent the county of Greene, and
served with ability and distinction in the Legislature of 1887. He was a member of the executive committee of the State
Temperance Alliance, and took an. active part in the canvass to adopt the constitutional Prohibition amendment in 1887.
October 1, 1878, Florence Ella, daughter of Mr. John H. Williams, of Golden, Col., became his wife. She was born at
Ducktown, Tenn., March 19, 1859. To this union, have been born three children, namely: Lulu Belle, Frank Emily and
Blaine. Mrs. Milburn is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Rev. Jere Moore, A. M., was born at Tusculum, Greene Co., Tenn., November 6, 1845, the son of Anthony and
Nancy P. (Holt) Moore. The next ancestors were Anthony, born June 26, 1803, in Greene County, and died July 20,
1885; David, born May 14, 1769, in Pennsylvania, and Anthony, Sr., born in 1732, in Pennsylvania, coming to East
Tennessee with his family in 1778. The latter, detained a year to raise a company to go through what was then called
The Wilderness, liked the country so well that he remained here, one of the earliest settlers
of East Tennessee. The mother was born in Greene County, March 26, 1807, and died April 18, 1879. She was the
daughter of David Holt, of Rockbridge County, Va. Our subject, the next youngest of eight children, was educated at
Greeneville and Tusculum College, and graduated in 18711; then in 1874 graduated from the Lane Theological
Seminary, Cincinnati, Ohio. In September, 1874, he was ordained by the Holston Presbytery at Kingsport, and
for a year was a Presbyterian missionary. He has since preached at Mount Bethel, Oakland, and other churches.
He was a member of the General Assembly at Pittsburgh in 1878, and at Saratoga in 1883. He was giving his life
to the ministry, when, in 1883, he was called to the presidency of the Greeneville and Tusculum College, which he
accepted in June, 1883. On December 10, 1874, he married Belle R., a daughter of E. E. Mathes, of Washington
County, where she was born September 4, 1850. Their children are Myrtie L., born February 8, 1876; David E.,
born October 7, 1877; A. Holt, born August 19, 1879; Melvin M., born February G, 1882; Maggie B., born
September 21, 1883, and one boy unnamed, born April 23, 1887.
J. S. Neilson, a farmer, was born April 16, 1831, in Greene County, always his home. When he was eighteen
he began independently by managing his fathers farm, and in 1861 he began farming for himself. In 1858 he
married M. E. Baker, a daughter of Allen ,Baker, a native of Greene County. Their children are James T. and
Jesse B. She is a member of the Baptist Church, and in politics he is a Democrat, first voting for Scott. He is the
fifth of seven children of W. D. and Eliza (Evans) Neilson, natives of Greene and Claiborne Counties, respectively.
The father commanded a company in the war of 1812, and was afterward commissioned colonel. He followed
farming most of his life, and the latter part was engaged in general merchandising. The grandfather, Hugh,
was a native of Scotland, and one of the pioneers of Greene County, Tenn. The mother was of English stock.
The farm of our subject consists of 375 acres of fine, mostly bottom, land, showing the hand of a successful
Augustus H. Pettibone, one of the leading lawyers and citizens of Greeneville, Tenn., was born at Bedford,
Cuyahoga County, Ohio, January 21, 1835, the son of Augustus N. and Nancy L. (Hathaway) Pettibone.
The father was born in Vernon, N. Y., in 1802, and was the son of Elijah Pettibone, a soldier of the
Revolutionary war. The father removed to Ohio early in life, and established the first woolen mills west
of the Alleghany Mountains, at Newburg (now part of Cleveland), Ohio. He was a Whig, and a strong
supporter of Henry Clay. He died in 1849. The mother was born near Burlington, Vt., about 1804, and
was the daughter of Zepheniah Hathaway, a native of Taunton, Mass. She died in 1843. Our subject was
educated at Hiram College, Ohio, and at the University of Michigan, graduating in 1859. He studied law
with Hon. Jonathan E. Arnold, at Milwaukee, Wis., and entered in the practice at La Crosse, Wis. He
entered the Federal Army as a private, in 1861, and was promoted to second lieutenant and captain of
his company, and on December 7, 1862, was promoted to major of the Twentieth Regiment, Wisconsin
Volunteers. He served through the war, and then located at Greeneville, Tenn., and resumed his law
practice. He entered politics, and was first elected attorney general of the First Judicial Circuit, of Tennessee,
and was a Grant and Colfax presidential elector in 1868. He served for several years as assistant United States
district attorney for the Eastern District of Tennessee, and was the Hayes and Wheeler elector ~for the State at
large in 1876. He was elected to the XLVII, XLVIII and XLIX Congresses as a Republican. He is now a
member of the law firm of Pettibone, Worder & Sharp, of Chattanooga, but resides at Greeneville. He was
married, July 16, 1868, to Mary C. Speck, of Rogersville, Tenn., daughter of George C. Speck, deceased.
W. H. Piper, county clerk, was born in Knoxville, Tenn., April 26, 1854, the son of Albert M. and Martha O. (Allen) Piper,
the former born in Virginia, August 20, 1820, the son of Joseph, a native of Pennsylvania, and of German parents.
The father became a Rogersville merchant about 1838. From 1846 he was in Knoxville as clerk, and from 1851
as partner, in the Coffin Brothers firm, with whom he had removed. In 1857 he became a partner of S. 13. Boyd,
until 1859. He was mayor of Knoxville for a time. In 1859 he bought a farm. and up to 1867 was a Greene County
merchant. In 1871 he became United States deputy revenue collector. He was in the Indian wars. He died June
11, 1873, the first victim of the cholera epidemic of that year. The mother was born December 9, 1824, in Greene
County, the daughter of James Allen, of Irish descent. She died May 14, 1869. Our subject was educated at Clear
Springs Academy, Greene Co., Tenn. He taught school and studied law with Maj. Pettibone, until 1882, and in May,
1881, was admitted. In August, 1882, he was elected to his present position, the first Republican to hold the office.
January 17, 1883, Carrie Brannan became his wife. Their children were Bessie, Blaine (deceased) and Gracie. He
is a member of the United Brethren Church, while his wife is a Presbyterian. During the war of the Rebellion the father,
Albert M., and all the members of his family, were uncompromising Unionists.
C. G. Rankin was born at Rheatown, Tenn., March 5, 1837, being the son of John and Louisa (Gray) Rankin, the
former a tanner and merchant, who died at Johnson City, Tenn., in 1879, aged sixty-four, and a native of Greene
County. The mother, a native of this county also, was the daughter of Benjamin Gray, and died in 1843. Our subject andtwo sisters were the only children. He left school at thirteen years of age, and clerked for his father until he was twenty-one. Since then he has farmed on an extensive scale. Jn 1858 he married Louisa, a daughter of Frederick DeVault, of Leesburg, Tenn. Three daughters and the mother are deceased. The sons are John A. and CharlesR. In 1872he, Ron. D. T. Patterson and W. B. Rush organized the Home Woolen Company, and located their mill a half mile north of Home Depot. At present our subject is the sole proprietor and manager, and employs about twenty-five persons constantly, the capacity of the mill being 30,000 pounds of wool per year. Blankets, yarns, cassimeres, jeans, flannels, etc., are sold directly to the consumer. He is a Master Mason, and a Knight of Honor. He has merchandised since 1867, first at home and later at his mills, where the old stone dam, the first in this region, gave its name to the historical camping grounds and a Methodist Church built there.
D.W. Remine, a farmer in the Fifteenth District, was born in 1887 in Virginia, and came to this locality in
1847, where he has since resided. He received his education at Limestone Academy and Tusculum College.
When eleven years of age he was thrown upon his own resources, a poor boy, and has followed f arming
ever since. He was married in 1858 to Miss Phoebe Keizel, daughter of Enos Keizel, a native of Rockingham
County, Va., who came to Washington County in 1856. To this union has been born fourteen children:
Fannie L., Rebecca, Calvin K., Edward E. (deceased), Mollie E., Schuyler Colfax, Minnie B., Horace
Maynard, Lummie Lynn, Carrie Bays, Frederick Fuller, Bell Carter, Annie Lee and Kate. The parents are
members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and Mr. Remine is a Republican in politics and a prohibitionist
in principle, a Good Templar, and a Son of Temperance. He is the third of seven children born to Hiram and
Nancy (Bays) Remine, natives of Virginia. Ile was a soldier in the late war, and was captured and detained in
Castle Thunder, Libby, Abingdon, Jonesboro, Greeneville and Knoxville prisons on account of his views on
Abolitionism, he being a pronounced Abolitionist, and very bold in declaring his views. Three of his sons were
soldiers in the United States Army. He is a son of William H. Remine, a native of Tazewell County, Va., and
was a stock dealer and distiller. He was justice of the peace for many years. Mrs. Nancy Remine was a
daughter of James and Ruth Bays, either natives of or very early settlers in Russell County, Va. Mr. Bays
was a prominent minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Bays Mountain took its name from this family,
they being noted as great hunters. They have furnished a great number of very, excellent and able ministers.
James H, Robinson was born two miles from Greeneville, on June 26, 1835, and is the son of James and
Mary (Temple) Robinson. The father was born in Greene County, and was the son of David Robinson,
who was a native of Virginia, and immigrated to Tenenessee at a very early date and was one of the pioneers of
Greene County. The father was a farmer and a prominent citizen, and for a number of years served as
magistrate. He died in 1863, his funeral occurring on the last day General Longstreets army passed through
Greeneville, going into Virginia. The mother was born in Greene County, and was the daughter of Thomas Temple,
a native of Greene County, who was the son of Maj. Temple, a native of North Carolina, who participated in the
battle of Kings Mountain. She died in 1867. Our subject was reared on the farm, and attended school at
Tusculum College. While in school his health failed him, and he visited California, where he remained for over
two years. Returning home he studied law for a time and then re-entered Tusculum College, from which school
he graduated with honor on June 7, 1860, he being the valedictorian of the graduating class of that year.
He at once resumed his law studies in Greeneville under Maj. James Britton, and on February 18, 1861,
was admitted to the bar, his license being signed by Judge David T. Patterson and ,Chancellor Seth J. W.
Lucky. He was not sworn in at once, and the war coming up, upon advice of friends he did not take the
oath until after the war. He enlisted in the Confederate service in 1862, and was appointed deputy agent at
Greeneville, which he held until the latter part of that year. and then enlisted in Capt. Jacksons Company of the
Eighty-first Regiment of Confederate Tennessee Infantry, as a private. He was with his regiment but a short time
until he was appointed provost-marshal and put in command of Greene County, with the rank of captain. He
served in that capacity until the evacuation of East Tennessee by the Confederate troops. On leaving Greeneville
he became a member of Col. Battles Cavalry Battalion, which organization was composed of a number of parts
of different regiments. His health failed him after awhile, and he left the ranks, and purchased the newspaper outfit
of the Southern Banner, which he removed to Wytheville, and published a weekly paper until the close of the war,
and issued the last paper in the Confederacy, an issue being made after Gen. Lees surrender, the paper being
common brown wrapping paper. He was with his command, however, at the surrender at Christiansburg, Va.,
in 1865. At the close of the war he went to Illinois and then to Louisville, Ky., where he was engaged for a few
weeks as salesman in a wholesale merchandising house. From Louisville he went to Batesville, Ark., where he
began the practice of his profession, he having previously been licensed to practice in the courts of Arkansas. He
removed to East Tennessee in 1869 and settled in Greeneville, forming a partnership with Maj. A. H. Pittibone. He
remained with Maj. Pettibone for about five years, and then formed a partnership and practiced with Thomas
Maloney, and with him was counsel for four years for President Johnsons estate, and conducted the noted case,
before the supreme court, of Bessie M. Johnson, the widow of Andrew Johnson, Jr., against the administration of
President Johnsons estate, which case was argued four different times before the supreme bench of Tennessee. He
began practicing by himself, and has continued up to the present, having built up a fine practice and established for
life an excellent professional standing, and for six years was local attorney for the East Tennessee & Virginia Railway.
He is a man of fine legal talent, and a progressive and public spirited citizen, broad and liberal in his views. He
has always encouraged all public enterprises of a worthy nature, and is now president of the board of enterprise
of Greene County. He takes an active part in politics, and, during recent canvasses, stumped a large portion of
this section. He takes an interest in public schools and churches, and is a member of and an elder in the Presbyterian
Church of Greeneville. He was married to Ellen Temple, June 7, 1860, only a few moments after he delivered his
valedictory address at college. His wife was born in Greene County, April 19, 1843, and is the daughter of Col. M.
S. Temple, one of the prominent citizens of Greene County, who represented his county in the State Legislature, and
was also at one time superintendent of the East Tennessee & Virginia Railway. To this union eight children have been
born, two of whom are dead. The eldest, Frank P., is a practicing physician of Cocke County, and Bird M., another
son, is connected with the Indian agency at Standing Rock, Dakota, who read law with his father, and on
November 6, 1883, was licensed to practice by the supreme court of Tennessee. June 6, 1873, our , subject
was called to Tusculum College, and the degree of A. M. conferred upon him. He is, and has been for years,
a trustee of Tusculum College. He was prosecuting lawyer in the celebrated case of Johnson vs. McHenry.
D. L. Russell~ farmer and stock raiser, was born near his present home in Greene County, October 14,
1841, the son of John and Minerva (Thompson) Russell. The father was a farmer, and died at his home in
Greene County, in February, 1885, aged seventy-two years, and the mother, also a native of Tennessee,
was the daughter of Henry Thompson. Of nine children, those living are Daniel L., Samuel C., William F.,
Edward G., John and Alfred H. Our subject was reared on the farm, and educated at the common schools.
When of age he joined the Confederate Army, was in service four years, and has since been successfully
devoted to farming. He now owns a farm of 350 acres, well improved. In 1867 he married Mary V., a
daughter of James Johnston. Their children are John W., James J., Sudie and William. She died December
30, 1876, and in 1878 Sarah R., a daughter of H. Wells, became his wife. Their children are Minnie,
Humphries, Jennie and David C. Our subject is a Presbyterian.
A. N. Shoun, lawyer, of the firm of Ingersoll & Shoun, was born in Johnson County, Tenn., November 1,
1851, the son of G. H. and Theodosia (Wilson) Shoun, the former born in that city in 1821, the son of
Andrew, a native of the same, and he a son of Leonard, a pioneer of that county. The father, a
successful merchant, is now retired at Rheatown, where he removed at the close of the war.
The mother was born in 1824 in Johnson County, and is the daughter of Andrew Wilson. Both
parents are members of the Christian Church. Our subject was thirteen years of age when the
family moved to Rheatown, and he spent one year (1865) in Emory and Jefferson College, Knox
County; then one year in the Rheatown Academy, and finally graduated from Emory and Henry
College, Va., in June, 1871. He read law in the office of Judge H. H. Ingersoll two years, and was
admitted to the bar in 1873, his license being signed by Judges Smith and Gillenwaters, and also by
the master of the supreme court. For over three years he was engaged as merchant with his father,
studying meanwhile, especially history. In 1878 he began his present law partnership. In 1873, Kate,
a daughter of Thomas Johnson, became his wife. They have four children. She is a Methodist.
R. J. Snapp was born in Sullivan County, Tenn., October 1, 1843, and is the son of W. C. and A. E.
Snapp. In September, 1851, he entered Jefferson Academy, of Sullivan County, and attended this
institution eight winters, laboring on the farm during the summer seasons, and passing his youth without
noteworthy event. In 1859 he was placed under the control of Rev. J. J. Smith, of Shelbyville, Ind., who
carefully directed his education for four years. In 1863 lie returned to Knoxville, and was there employed
by Fishel & Elsas, as clerk in their dry goods establishment, but in 1866 obtained a position as clerk with
Stokes & Waters, Lebanon, Tenn., also in the dry goods business. Two years later (1868) he removed
with this firm to Cherry Valley, Middle Tennessee, but the following year (1869) returned to his fathers
house at Rheatown, Greene Co., Tenn. In 1870, he attended Laurel Hill Academy one term, and, in 1872,
entered H. G. Eastmans Commercial College, Poughkeepsie, N. Y., from the business course of which
institution he graduated in four months. He then returned to his father, whose health was beginning to fail
with the approach of old age, to take charge of the farm, and continued thus four years. From 1876 to
1877, he was engaged in the brick business at Greeneville, Tenn., and in 1878 embarked in the family grocery
business, with W. D. Culver as partner, the firm name being Snapp & Culver. In the fall of 1879, he bought
out Mr. Culver, and is still continuing alone, having in 1883 added to his business a tannery and a boot, shoe,
harness and saddle manufactory. He manufactures more leather than he can use, and ships it in the rough to
Eastern cities. In 1886-87, he built, under the supervision of J. F. Fields, architect, Snapps Opera
House, the lower floor being used for stores, and the building being the most attractive in the place,
and a credit to both owner and town. April 30, 1877, he was united in marriage with Miss Lizzie Lane,
daughter of Thomas Lane, of Greeneville, which union has proven a very happy one, two bright boys,
Earl and Clarence, having come to bless their parents. Earl is eight years old, and Clarence would have
been four, had not God, for some wise purpose, seen proper last autumn to call him home.
Lawrence P. Speck, farmer and merchant miller, was born in Rogersville, Tenn., October 28, 1841,
the son of George C. and Mary D. (Russell) Speck. The father, a native of Augusta County, Va., was
born in 1804, and died in 1847, and was of German-French origin. He was a tailor and also dealt in live
stock, and about 1844 moved from Hawkins County to Morristown, where his death occurred. The
mother was born in Greene County, Tenn., June 24, 1814, and died February 20, 1886. Her children
are Thos. J., Mary C., Lawrence P. and George E. Our-subject was reared in Rogersville and Morristown,
and received a limited education in common schools, and a few terms at McMinn Academy. He was a clerk
in early life, and worked several years in a printing office. With the opening of the war, while residing at
Camden, Ark., he enlisted in Company C, first Arkansas Volunteers, Confederate Army, and was paroled
at the close at Jamestown, N. C. He returned to Rogersville and then moved to New Orleans, and was
employed in the cotton trade, with a firm engaged in that business. In 1867 he married Elizabeth Robertson,
of Kosciusko, Miss. Re then engaged in the newspaper business and merchandising at Morristown, Tenn.
In 1880 he went to Rockford, Blount County, where he engaged in merchandising and manufacturing
cotton goods, but in 1885 he began farm ing at his present home. His children are George C., born October
10, 1869; Hugh W., born January 10, 1872: Annie L., born January 6, 1874; Thomas A., born April 16,
1876; Eugenia A., born February 22, 1878; Mary P., born December 21, 1880; Bessie L., born January 29, 1883;
and Laura B., born December 28, 1884.
A. J. Stephens, sheriff, was born twelve miles south of Greeneville, in 1843, being the
son of Samuel L. and Mary J. (Farnsworth) Stephens, the former born in this county
April 2, 1805, the son of Andrew Stephens, of Pennsylvania, but a resident of Greene
County since 1790. Samuel died April 26, 1974. The mother was born in Greene County
October 13, 1820, being the daughter of Thomas Farnsworth. She is a Lutheran, and is
.still a resident of this county. Our subject was educated in a mill, and attended Rich-
land Creek Academy. In 1862 he joined the Fourth Tennessee Federal Infantry, and was
captured while en route for Kentucky, and taken to Knoxville and put in the Confederate
service, but ran away at the first opportunity, and helped raise Company E, Second Federal
North Carolina Mounted Infantry, of which he was chosen Second Lieutenant, serving until
August 16, 1865, when, by special order of the war department, he was mustered out at Knoxville.
He then established a wool-carding machine at Little Lick
Creek, running it for three years, and then engaged in iron mining for two years. He was
then a farmer and mill-wright until August, 1886, when he became sheriff. He is a Republican. In 1867
he married Martha E., a daughter of John Susong. She was born in
Greene County in 1843, and is a Presbyterian. They have had four children.
S. J. R. Stephens, senior member of B. F. Stephens Bros., of the Greeneville Woolen
Mills, is the superintendent of the weaving department. The mills were first established at
Birdsbridge in 1879, and afterward moved to Greeneville by the present firm. They are the
largest between Knoxville and the Virginia line, and have a capacity of 150 pounds of yarn,
and 500 yards of jeans cloth per day, though a general variety of goods is manufactured.
Twenty-two of the best looms and thirty-five hands are employed, and they do an annual
business of about $75,000. Our subject was born in 1849, in Greene County, and was
educated in Tusculum College. He began flour-milling and taking out iron ore from the
furnace near Birdsbridge, then after a year on the farm, he and his brothers established
their business. In 1864 he married Florence, daughter of Andrew Bowers. They have had
four children. B. F. Stephens, the second member, and superintendent of the spinning
department, was born in 1856, and educated at Mosheim Station, and then entered the
flouring-mill and woolen-mills, removing to Greeneville in 1884. In 1878 he married Josephine,
daughter of J. B. Bird. They have one child. Fox Stephens, junior member and book-keeper, was
born in 1858, and was educated at Mosheim College, at Blue ~Springs, and began with his
brothers on leaving school. In 1879 he married Josephine, daughter of Thomas N. Brooks.
Samuel L., and Mary J. (Farnsworth) Stephens, the parents., were born--the former in
Pennsylvania in 1805, and the latter in Greene County, Tenn, in 1820. The father was the
son of John Stephens, a native of Germany, who came to Pennsylvania about 1809 or 1810.
He was a farmer and blacksmith, and a Lutheran. He died in 1874. The mother, a daughter of
Thomas Farnsworth, is also a Lutheran, and lives with the junior member of this firm, Fox Stephens.
A. D. Susong, merchant, was born in Greene County, November 10, 1820, the son of Anndrew and
Elizabeth (Eason) Susong, the former born in Rockingham County, Va., in 1777, the son of Andrew, Sr.,
a native of Germany, and a soldier throughout the Revolution, who became a pioneer of Greene County in
1817, and died in 1826. Andrew, Jr., was a successful farmer in Greene County, and died in 1832,
universally esteemed. The mother was born in Montgomery County, Va., a daughter of Samuel Eason,
a native of Virginia, and owner of the Virginia site of Bristol, Tenn. She died in 1856. Both were Lutherans
but the mother after his death became a Presbyterian. Our subject was educated at Tusculum. College, and
then engaged for three years in a hardware store at Greeneville, since which he has been in his present general
merchandise store at Timber Ridge, in connection on with which he owns and cultivates from 700 to 800 acres
of land. He was postmaster from 1847 to about 1859, and from 1866 to the administration of President Arthur.
He is broad-minded man, and a Presbyterian. In 1868 he married Sarah, a daughter of Robert Cochran,
of Greene County. She was born in 1840, near their present home. She is a Presbyterian. Three of their four
children are living. He has been an elder of his church for the last thirty years.
L. W. Tipton, merchant, was born in Crab Orchard, Ky., June 20, 1838, the son of Jonathan and Mary
(McJimpsey) Tipton, the former born in North Carolina in 1811, the son of Jonathan Tipton, a native of
Carter County, Tenn. The father, a farmer, was killed in 1864, by Confederate soldiers, in retaliation for
his sons being in the Federal Army. The mother was born in Catawba County, N.C., in 1818, the daughter
of William McJimpsey. She now lives in North Carolina. Our subject was educated at Burnsville, N. C.,
and in 1862 joined Company D, Eighth Federal Tennessee Cavalry, but June 11, 1863, he was transferred to
Company A, Third United States North Carolina Mounted. Infantry, as second lieutenant. He was mustered
out August 7, 1865, and has since been farming a mile east of Greeneville. He has also, since 1881,
been engaged in the grocery business at Greeneville. He is a Mason, and a member of the Baptist Church.
He is all intelligent and successful man. August 25, 1865, Clementine, a daughter of Eliza Headerick,
became his wife, and five children have been born to them. She was I crn near Fall Branch in 1836.
Col. J. G. Weems, farmer, was born July 4, 1829, in Greene County, where he has since resided.
He was first engaged for seven years in the firm of Bailey & Weems, merchants and stock dealers,
but since 1857 he has been farming. His father gave him $1,500, and he now owns about 500 acres
of land where he resides, besides 267 acres elsewhere. May 15, 1856, he married Mary J., a daughter
of William M. Williams, a native of Greene County. Their children were Laura E., George M., Eliza M.
(deceased), Thomas B., Joel A., Charles P., John G. (deceased), Mary E., William M., James R. and
Robert T. Both are Methodists, and he is a leader among Prohibitionists. Politically he was a Democrat
until 1884, at which time he took up the cause of the Prohibitionists. He served four years as a justice,
and then resigned. He is a Master Mason. He is the second of eight children of George and Matilda (Keele)
Weems, natives of Greene and Jefferson (now Hamblen) Counties, respectively, the former deceased in July,
1839, aged forty-four, and the latter in December, 1863, aged about fifty-nine. John Weems, of North
Carolina, was the next ancestor, and of Irish stock. Our subject was a colonel of State militia.
G. J. Weems, farmer and miller, of the firm of Weems & McDannald, was born in 1838 in Greene County,
where he has since resided. He began with $3,000 worth of property, and now owns a fine farm of 300 acres
at his home, and two other tracts of 295 acres, besides a half interest in the valuable mill property. In 1862 he
enlisted in Company D, Eighth Tennessee Federal Infantry, and served until June, 1865, when he was
mustered out at Nashville, having received a severe wound at Kenesaw Mountain. In 1865 Mattie J., daughter of
William Ross, of the county of Greene, became his wife. Their children are Mary M. (now Mrs. Barlow), William R.,
Charles E., Livy A. S., Rebecca J., Dollie O. and Nancy Alice. Both are members of the Methodist Episcopal
Church, and he a Prohibitionist.
Joseph A. Williams, the subject of our sketch, is a farmer in the Ninth Civil District, and was born in Greeneville,
Tenn., May 3, 1832, and is the son of Dr. Alexander and Catherine Douglas (Dickson) Williams. The father was a
native of Surry County, N. C.. and was born in November, 1793, and died at Greeneville in August, 1852. The
mother was born in Greeneville, Tenn., in 1802, and died in Greeneville in 1870. She was the mother of six sons
and four daughters, of which children there now (1887) live only three sons, viz.: William D., Joseph A. and
Thomas L. Joseph A., our subject was reared in Greeneville, and was educated in Greeneville and Knoxville,
and early in life studied medicine and practiced the profession for a short time, and then began farming in
Greene County, Tenn. He was farming when the civil war broke out, though he never enlisted, yet his sympathy
was in favor of the Federal Army. In 1861 he married Lucy M. Rumbough, and it is said that Lucy betrayed
Gen. John Morgan to the Union soldiers at Greeneville, but hereby the statement is denied. She was not the
betrayer of the General, but was a sympathizer with the Union army, and never had an opportunity of betraying
Gen. Morgan. In 1881 our subject was united in marriage with Mary Pattent for a second wife. She was an
intelligent woman of noble character, and a devoted Christian, and her death occurred fourteen months after
her marriage with our subject. Mr. Williams is a practical farmer, and owns and cultivates a portion of the
Greeneville College farm. He is a man decisive in character, and is a faithful friend, and a well respected citizen.
Thomas L. Williams was born in Greeneville, Tenn., September 7, 1838, and is the son of Dr. Alexander
and Catherine (Dickson) Williams. The father was born in Surry County, N. C., in November, 1793, and
died in Greeneville, Tenn., in August, 1852. The mother was a native of Greeneville, Tenn., and was born in
1802, and died in 1870. She was the daughter of William Dickson, an early settler of East Tennessee. She
was the mother of six sons and four daughters, of which family there are now (1887) living only three sons,
viz: William D., Joseph A. and our subject, who was reared in Greeneville, and educated at Greeneville,
Knoxville and Chapel Hill, N. C. At the outbreak of the war, he left college at Knoxville, and entered the
Confederate Army, in Company E, Sixteenth Battalion, Buckners Legion, and afterward was transferred to
Vaughns Brigade. He became captain, and was paroled as such, and surrendered at Anderson Court House,
S. C. Such was the prejudice against him in his native community, which was principally of Union sentiment,
that he was forced to leave his native county, and went to Baltimore and elsewhere. About six years after the
war he settled in Greene County, and has farmed ever since, He owns and cultivates a portion of the
Greeneville College farm, and is a practical farmer. In 1870 he married Mary Simpson, daughter of Hon.
Richard F. Simpson, of South Carolina. She was born March 1, 1842, and is the mother of nine children,
of whom only six Dow (1887) live, viz: Eliza S., Richard F., William D., Thomas L., Maria L., and Anna Simpson.
William Houston Williams, merchant, was born December 5, 1834, in Blount County, and is the son of W.
B. and Elizabeth (Hubbell) Williams, natives of Smyth County, Va., the former born in 1796, being the son
of Major Samuel Williams, a native of Rye Valley, Va., and a soldier of the Continental war. He was also an
extensive iron works owner in his native state. He settled in Blount County in 1822, and was a farmer, a
captain in the militia, and also a deputy sheriff, and died in 1852. The mother was born in 1806, being the
daughter of Joel Hubbell, a farmer of Smyth County, Va. She died in 1826, when our subject was a child.
Both parents were Baptists. Our subject was educated at Maryville College, Blount County, and Mossy
Creek (now Carson) College, and taught for one year, when he joined Company K, Fifth Tennessee
Cavalry (Confederate), as orderly sergeant. In December, 1868, he was captured at Knoxville, but
escaped near Richmond, while en route for Camp Chase, Ohio. He taught then two years in Kentucky,
one in Alabama and three in Tennessee. In 1871 he began extensive wheat dealing in Greeneville for the
Kenesaw (Ga.) mills, continuing up to 1882, gaining the title by which he is generally known,
of Wheat William. Since that date he has been a successful merchant. He is a stockholder in
the public schools, and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is also a Knight of Honor.
In 1874 he married Mary J., a daughter of Lemuel White, a Methodist divine of Hawkins County, where she was born in
1844. She taught several years in Greene and Washington Counties, and at Weaverville, N. C. Two of their four
children are deceased. His wife is a Methodist.
Goodspeed Greene County Biographical Sketches, A thru M
Goodspeed Greene County History
Goodspeed Table of Contents Page
Greene County TNGenWeb Genealogy Page
This page last updated
on Wednesday, August 12, 2015