According to Goodspeed History the early leading religious denomination was the Primitive Baptist. The first congregation was organized on Cyprus Creek in 1823 by George Turner and Levi Kirkland, the later of whom became it's pastor. Another Congregation was organized soon after on Rushing Creek by the same preachers. As the settlement increased, congregations multiplied, to meet the wants of the growing communities. Services were usually held at private residences until it became possible to erect a house of worship.
PRIMITIVE BAPTIST CHURCHES
Mt. Zion Baptist Church
Chalk Level Baptist Church
The Methodists were scarcely behind the Baptist in the organization of congregations an the building of churches. About 1824 Benjamin F. Peeples, the pioneer circuit rider and presiding elder of West Tennessee, organized the church since know as Cowell Chapel, about about two miles southwest of Camden. At nearly the same time a congregation was organized on Eagle Creek, near the residence of William Hubbs. Mt. Carmel and Rushing Chapel were also established at the early date. In 1836 a camp ground, which was used for years, was constructed on Beaver Dam Creek. A congregation was organized at Camden soon after the town was established and services were conducted in the courthouse until 1849, when a church was erected upon a lot donated to the trustees by Mrs. J. G. Sims. At the same time the trustees of the Presbyterian Church at Camden, Daniel McElyea, Anderson Lashlee, Henry C. Camp and Samuel Madden, purchased a lot of Irwin B. Carnes, and erected a house upon it.
METHODIST ELDERS AND CIRCUIT RIDERS
Hamilton, E. E.
Harris, G. W. D
Lee, Levi B.
Williams, E. J.
|Crooked Creek Methodist Church|
|Bakers Chapel United Methodist Church|
|Faxon Methodist Church|
|Flatwoods United Methodist|
|Harmons Creek United Methodist Church|
|Holladay United Methodist|
|Liberty United Methodist Church|
|McRae's Chapel United Methodist Church|
|Methodist Episcopal Church South|
|Palestine United Methodist|
|Post Oak Methodist Church|
|Wesley Chapel Methodist Church|
About 1835 the schism in the Baptist Church began to manifest itself in Benton County, and it is believed that the first division occurred at Rumble Creek Churches, the larger part of the congregation adopting the Missionary faith. Rushing Creek Church was converted at about the same time, and other churches rapidly followed.
|Beaverdam Baptist Church|
|Chalk Hill Baptist|
|Chalk Level Baptist Church|
|Cross Roads Missionary Baptist|
|Eagle Creek Baptist|
|Pleasant Hill Baptist Church|
|Ramble Creek Baptist Church|
Earlier ministers of this denomination were:
Corbett, M. S.
Most prominent among the Presbyterian ministers were:
|Samuel T. Thomas||Abner Thomas||Abner Cooper|
|H. Babbitt||H. R. Reid||Allen Justice|
|William Guthrie||R. M. Gillum||J. H. Mcknight|
Graphics courtesy of Mousepad Graphics