Benton County Tennessee
Jo. G. Hudson, merchant of Camden Tenn., and a native of Kentucky was born near Glasgow, Ky., September 7, 1837, son of James G. and Margaret (Stayton) Hudson, natives respectively of Tennessee and Kentucky. The father spent the greater part of his life in Henry County, Tenn., removing to this county in 1859, and followed farming near Camden until his death in February, 1885. Jo. G. was raised on the farm and received a limited education. In 1861 he enlisted in Company C, Fifth Regiment Tennessee Confederate Infantry, serving as private and noncommissioned officer in the late war until the surrender. After the war he followed farming until 1880 when in March he came to Camden and engaged in the saloon business. In March, 1881, he engaged in the dry goods, grocery and general merchandise business, in which he has continued to the present time under the firm name of J. G. Hudson & Co. July 9, 1886, his store was made the Agricultural Wheel store of Camden. Mr. Hudson has been very successful in his business adventures, carrying a large and select stock of goods, and controls a large trade in the city and county especially among the members of the Agricultural Wheel. In 1867 he married Elmira N. Bell, who died in 1876. They had two children both deceased. On April 15, 1884, he married Mrs. Mary (Barfield) Wyly of Humphreys County, and by this union had one child, John James. Mr. Hudson is independent in politics. He is a Master Mason, a member of the K of H., and is justly recognized as one among the enterprising and successful business men of Camden.
F.G. Hudson, M. D., who resides about five miles from Camden was born in this county in 1838, and is a son of Albert J. and Jemimah M. (Rushing) Hudson. The father was a descendant of the English explorer, Henry Hudson, and was born in the year 1818 in Humphreys County, Middle Tenn., and in a few years his father, Dorsey P., came to Benton County. He was a very influential citizen and was clerk of the various courts for many years. Albert J. lived in Benton County at the time of his marriage and afterward located in the Fifth District where he resided a number of years, then moved to the Sixth District where he died in 1884. His wife, Jemimah, was a native of Benton County born in 1823 or 1824. She is yet living and resides on the old home place. Our subject, Dr. F. G. Hudson, is one of three children living of the nine born to his parents. He received his literary education in the common schools of Benton County and worked on the farm of his parents until twenty-one years of age, when he commenced the study of his chosen profession under his uncle, Dr. Joseph U. Hudson. In 1864 he enlisted in Company H, Fifty-fifth Regiment Tennessee Infantry, and actively engaged in the battles of New Hope Church, Ga., Atlanta, Jonesboro, Franklin, Nashville and many others. During the time he was not in active battle he was on detached service acting as surgeon. In 1865 Dr. Hudson entered upon the regular practice of his profession and November 17, 1867, married Miss Frances R. Combs, who is a native of North Carolina. They are the parents of five children, named Dorsey G., Susan Stella, Eula Lee, Elihu and Charles M. Dr. Hudson is a Democrat in politics, member of the Masonic fraternity (Chapter Lodge, No.64, and Blue Lodge, No.179) of Camden, and he and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Joseph B. Jones, attorney-general of the Twelfth Judicial Circuit Tennessee, and a native of Carroll County, same State, was born October 29, 1857, son of Thomas E. and Sarah Jones, both native Virginians and both now deceased. The father came to Tennessee in 1852, located at Huntingdon, where he followed farming principally, and was mayor of the town a number of years; he died there September 19, 1885. Our subject was reared to manhood in his native county, securing an academical education in the Huntingdon schools. At the age of eighteen he began the study of law, with a view of making it a profession, and entered in 1876 the office of Hawkins & Townes, where he remained two years. December, 1878, he came to Camden and was admitted to the Benton County bar, after which he entered regularly in the practice of his profession and has remained here to the present time, having acquired prominent and leading position among the lawyers of West Tennessee. Mr. Jones has been an active and unswerving Democrat in his political views, and as such was elected to the office of attorney-general in August 1884. He has discharged the duties of this important office in an efficient and highly satisfactory manner. November 16, 1881, he married Ella Hill, of Benton County, and they have two children: Harry E. and Cecil Hill. Mr. Jones was for years mayor of Camden and is recognized by all as an excellent citizen and legal practitioner of decided ability. In 1886 he declined to make the race for the State Legislature, although petitioned by several hundred of the leading citizens. He and wife are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, in which he has been an elder since 1874.
John B. Lindsey, hotel-keeper, of Big Sandy, and a native of Benton Co., was born September 17, 1835, son of Edward and Levicy (Rumley) Lindsey, natives respectively of North Carolina and Tenn. The father, who was a well known and successful farmer, spent a long and useful life in this county, dying upon his farm, one mile east of Big Sandy, in 1872. John B. was reared on a farm, securing a limited education He has followed farming successfully to the present time, owning at present good farm near town. In 1871 he built the first business house in Big Sandy, and conducted a family grocery business here for six years. He also during this time built his present residence and began keeping a public house and has conducted the only hotel business here up to the present time. January 12, 1873, he married his second and present wife, who was Miss Mary L. Rushing. They have three children: Minnie May, Eddie and John Sherman. Mr. Lindsey is a stanch Republican in his political views; was not a participant in the late war, but was a Union man. He is a Mason, himself and wife are Missionary Baptists, and he is justly recognized as one among the reliable and successful business men and citizens of Benton County.
Samuel Lockhart, miller and farmer of the Eighth District, was born in Stewart County (now Houston), Tenn., in 1822, and is the son of Samuel and Nancy (Hornberger) Lockhart. The father was of English extraction and a native of North Carolina. He came to Tennessee in his youth, and at the time of his marriage was living in Stewart County, where he passed the remainder of his life. He was twice married and had sixteen children. He died about 1858. The mother, Nancy (Hornberger) Lockhart, was born in Stewart County, Tenn., and was of Dutch extraction; she died about 1838, leaving nine children who lived to be grown, but only four of whom are now living. Our subject grew up and received his education in Stewart County. August 27, 1848, he married Mary Ann Pitt, a native of Stewart County, born December 25, 1822, and the daughter of Wyley Pitt. To our subject and wife were born seven children: Andrew J., Thomas M., Sophrona A. (Mrs. W. F. Snyder), Martha A. (Mrs. N. McNiel), William Z., Mary J. (Mrs. Thomas Rushing) and Sarah E. In 1849 Mr. Lockhart came to Benton County and bought 200 acres in the Eighth District of Rushing Creek, where he located and began clearing and tilling the soil In 1872 be purchased a saw-mill and grist-mill of Hudson & Thomas. In 1873 he erected and added a wool machine and in 1881 attached a cotton-gin. From that time to the present, Mr. Lockhart has run the combined machines, meeting with good success. Owing to advanced age Mr. Lockhart desires to dispose of his valuable mills and retire to quiet life. Mr. Lockhart lost his wife April 22, 1882, and in 1883 he married Mrs. Amanda (Shilling) Baker, daughter of Jacob Shilling. Our subject is a Democrat but was a Whig previous to the war. He cast his first vote for Henry Clay, in 1844. He is a Mason and a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Mrs. Lockhart is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.
John C. McDaniel was born in Lincoln County, Tenn., March 2, 1811, son of John and Mary (White) McDaniel, natives respectively of Virginia and Kentucky. John C. removed to Alabama with his family when quite young, and was reared to manhood in that State on a farm. He came to this county with his parents about 1820, and has resided here ever since, engaged in farming principally and has also conducted mercantile and tobacco business in Camden. He ran a tobacco factory here before the war, and was an old time Whig before that event-since then he has been a Democrat in politics. In 1865 he was elected county trustee, serving one term of two years, and was a magistrate in the First District six years. In 1831 he married Martha White, who died following year leaving one daughter now living, Martha, the wife of J.D. Fry, of Harris Station, Obion County. By the second marriage with Harriett Menzies, he has two living children: Archibald G. and William Neal. The second wife died in 1852, and later he married his present wife, Olivia Fry, and they have nine children: John C., Millard F., Michael Alonzo, Wiley, Eugene, Mary (the widow of Oliver Black), Beulah, Beta and Sarah. Mr. McDaniel is a Royal Arch Mason and member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Archibald G. McDaniel, ex-clerk of the circuit court at Camden Tenn., was born in Benton County, January 9, 1851. He was raised a farm in this county, securing an ordinary English schooling. In 1873 he began mercantile life as a clerk and continued but one year when followed farming and school-teaching until 1878. He was then elect clerk of the Benton County Circuit Court, serving one term of four years. He was re-elected in 1882 and has served faithfully and efficiently to the present time. April 4, 1877, he married Miss Melvina B. Kelly of this county, and they have three children: Anna, Ora and Wm. Thomas. Mr. McDaniel is a Democrat in politics, a Mason and a member of the Agricultural Wheel. Himself and wife are members of the Method Episcopal Church.
If you have suggestions and/ or additions for these pages, please feel free to write County Host
Return to Benton County Genealogy page
Server space for the TNGenWeb Project is provided through the generosity of US Internet.
The TNGenWeb Project makes no claims or estimates of the validity of the information submitted and reminds you that each new piece of information must be researched and proved, or disproved by the weight of evidence.
You are welcome to copy information found on the Benton County TNGenWeb site for personal use, and share information with other researchers or genealogical organizations, but this information may not be sold or used in a commercial project without expressed permission. All material submitted by individuals for inclusion in this site remains their property.
Graphics are either courtesy of Corel clipart or personally designed
Copyright 1998 - 2015