Compiled by Jonathan Kennon Thompson Smith
Copyright, Jonathan K. T. Smith, 2003


(Page 43)

July 4, 1834

Page 2:


        The friend of America and France is no more. He has departed in a good old age with what prospects for a better world we know not; he has certainly been a most fortunate man in this.
        The Convention [constitutional convention] of the State of Tennessee took the following notice of the event on Monday.
        Mr. Burton of Wilson rose in his place and said, "Mr. President, I arise in my place to announce to the Convention that a mighty man has fallen, the great, the good, Lafayette is now numbered with the dead! The zealous supporter of American liberty, the bosom friend, the companion in arms of the father of our country is no more! He ended his career at Lagrange on the 20th of May last in his 77th year. I hold in my hand resolutions, expressive of the feelings of regret of this assembly on this mournful event and that constitute in themselves, a small tribute of respect to the memory of this illustrious individual. I hope, I know they will receive the unanimous approbation of this Convention.
        Mr. B. Then submitted the following preamble and resolutions which after being amended on the suggestion of Mr. Fogg of Davidson, by the addition of the last resolution, were adopted unanimously.
        Whereas, this convention has received the melancholy intelligence that the brightest ornament of the age in which he lived, the venerable and beloved Lafayette departed this life on the 20th day of May last, at Lagrange, in the kingdom of France and being deeply impressed with a spirit of gratitude for the important services rendered by him in our revolutionary struggle and deploring his loss as we do, in common with the friends of freedom throughout the civilized word [world]. Resolved, therefore, as a testimony of respect and gratitude to departed worth, that the members of this Convention wear crape on the left arm as a badge of mourning for thirty days.
        Resolved, that all the officers of the State of Tennessee, both civil and military, be requested to testify their regret for the friend and companion of the father of his country [George Washington] by wearing a similar badge for the space of thirty days.
        Resolved, that the President of this Convention be requested to direct a copy of these resolutions to be transmitted to the family of the deceased general, expressing the deep regret of the people of Tennessee at the loss of the benefactor of their country and our sympathy with them in this afflicting dispensation of divine providence and to assure them that the name of Lafayette in this nation will ever be associated with virtue and patriotism.


The Marquis De Lafayette, more properly Marie Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert Du Motier, De La Fayette, a nobleman, born in France, Sept. 6, 1757, won fame as a volunteer in the American Revolution. Favored with high military position in the Continental Army, he rendered faithful service to the cause of the independence of the Thirteen Colonies; a trusted officer under the command of General George Washington. His exploits won everlasting gratitude of the American public and his visit to the United States in 1824-1825 was a triumphant tour for an old patriot, who died in his homeland, whence he had returned in 1782, in Paris, May 20, 1834.]


(Page 44)

Page 3:


        Died on the 24th day of May, in the town of Clinton, Ky., after 5 weeks illness, Thomas Goodrum, in the 18th year of his age. The deceased was a son of the widow Goodrum of Washington county, Ky.; he was made of subject of converting grace, October 1832 and in a short time he joined the M. E. Church; he stood our his six months probation and then with all his heart he came into full connection. I visited him a short time before he died and asked him how he felt; his answer was, I have pain and glory, I have pain and glory, I have pain and glory; and then he commenced smiling and said, why not now, Lord? Here are my friends and brethren to give me a start, though not my will but thine be done. I then had to leave him; our parting was truly a serious one for the doctor said that he was then dying. I gave him the parting hand; farewell, said he, for the last time, I now bid you farewell (here he paused for a moment) after which he said, a few years and then, a few years and then, a few years and then, I shall meet you in heaven. He died at bro. Peaton's. Good attention was paid him by the family's friends and physicians; he had a triumphant time just before he left the world and when the broad face of wide eternity was spread before him. An inimitable weight of glory passed that way and the grace of god wafted his happy soul to an endless life in heaven

Our loss is his eternal gain.
Yesterday with time things he had to do.
Today he joyfully bid them all adieu;
Yesterday he darkly saw through the gospel glass,
Today he sees his Savior face to face;
Yesterday he sighed, he mourned, he looked and Longed,
Today his sighs are turned into songs;
Yesterday with the class in Clinton he lived in love,
Today he's joined the holy choir above;
Yesterday he got a taste of peace and love,
Today he drinks full draughts of bliss above;
Yesterday he was on his way to perfect peace,
Today he's there eternally to possess.



        A mother in Israel is gone to rest. The subject of the following brief memoir, Mrs. Eleanor Davis, consorted of the rev. Robert Davis of Franklin, was born in the year 1771 in Lunenburg county, Virginia. Being left an orphan by the death of her father, she was raised by an amiable mother to be industrious and respectable. In march, 1795 she was united in marriage to Mr. Davis who in 1801 removed from Virginia and settled in Williamson county, Ten. In 1803, having sought diligently, she found peace with god in a happy and sound conversion and became a member of the M. E. Church. Her religion was solid and uniform, seated in the heart and acted our in her life. She was a real mother in israel. In her the sick found a nurse and especially the sick preachers, who, in former years, had to travel in the lower parts of Mississippi and when taken sick, came up to Tennessee for their health. She very esteemed her religious privileges, was constant and steady to all her religious duties and deeply pious and exemplary in her walk and conversation. She was a woman of affliction for many years but constantly manifested all the patience and fortitude of a Christian, resigned to the will of god. Her example was worthy of imitation. In her last attack, she was confined about twelve days. Her confidence in her savior was unshaken; death was a welcome messenger to her. Resigned, composed and happy, she fell asleep in the arms of Jesus, on Thursday, May 22d, 1834 in the 63d year of her age. Her affectionate husband, children and numerous friends are deeply sensible of the loss they have sustained, but they sorrow not as those who are without hope, being confident that she has gained a crown of glory. Precious in the sight of the lord is the death of saints.

T. L. D.


(Page 45)

July 11, 1834

Page 3:


        Died, on Thursday the 3d day of July, Frederick Owen in his eighty-third year, a native of Sussex county, Virginia and for the last 26 years a resident of Davidson county, Tennessee; for about 60 years an orderly member of the Methodist E. Church; plain, uniform and exemplary, acted as a class leader between 20 and 30 years at Jones' Chapel, Sussex county; blameless, industrious and harmless in life and peaceful, reigned and happy in his death.



        Mrs. Sarah N. Brown, wife of Mr. Jordan Brown of Lebanon, Ten., departed this life July 5th, 1834.
        Mrs. Brown was born December the 24th, 1813 in N. Carolina, of respectable, though irreligious parents. Her native excellencies and acquired accomplishments were highly interesting. But the vanity of worldly pleasure engaged the strong affections of her heart until within a month of her last illness, at which time she was bereft of her oldest child. This dispensation of providence made a deep impression on the mother's heart; by it she was taught the shortness and uncertain tenure of human life. She became serious on the subject of religion which continued until the alarming symptoms of her own disease led her friends and physician to doubt the probability of her recovery. At this crisis, I was called on by the family to visit her, which I did, told her of Jesus and prayer. In a few hours after God, through the atonement of Jesus Christ, spoke peace to her soul in which she "rejoiced with joy unspeakable." After her conversation she survived eleven days. I visited her from one to three times each day and always found her patient, resigned and happy in full assurance of a blessed immortality. An affectionate husband, two children and a numerous circle of relations and friends weep "but they sorrow not as those who have no hope."

F. G. Ferguson
Lebanon [Tennessee], July 7th, 1834


July 18, 1834

Page 2:


        Departed this life, March the 5th, 1834, Uriah Stone, aged about 58 years, after a lingering illness of about six months. He left the world in peace, in the full triumphs of the faith of the gospel. May my last end be like his.

John Renshaw
July 4th, 1834

[Uriah stone was long a resident of Henderson county, Tennessee. In the U.S. Census, 1830, page 116, he was head of a household, his age between 50-60 years.]


(Page 46)


Rev. Messrs. Garrett & Maffitt.

        The wise man, though apportioning a time to various purposes, even a time to die, did not so much as say, there is a minute to live. How short the span of life!
        On the 26th inst. [June 26, 1834] the Rev. Sam'l. Jordan, aged 68 years and 4 days [June 22, 1766] fell asleep in Jesus. He was born and raised in Goochland county, Va.
        In 1785, he professed religion and joined the M. E. Church; was a licensed preacher upwards of forty-five years. In 1818, he removed to Giles county, Ten. where he spent the balance of his days, reproving and exhorting, with all long suffering; and in this he was by no means unsuccessful; it may be said, safely, that he had the confidence of all that knew him which never fails giving a minister success.
        Brother Jordan, with all, was a man of afflictions. He lived to witness the death of many of his family, himself diseased. Though the rain descended and the floods came and the winds blew, still he lifted his head above the cloud. It seemed always morning with his soul. But three hours before he entered death's dark heaving stream, he was asked, "shall brother Abernathy pray with us before he retires?" He replied, "O yes, by all means pray — pray always." As the shades of death proclaimed the close of life, he repeated the following lines,

O Jesus, my Savior, to thee I submit,
With love and thanksgiving fall down at thy feet!

        These were his last words. He fell not at the feet but in the arms of Jesus. His family, society, neighbors and acquaintances, all — all feel the loss but how great is his gain! How glorious is religion a comfort in life, a support in death, a crown in heaven. "let me die the death of the righteous."

W. L. Mc
Mill Pond, Ten. June 30, 1834



Messrs. Editors.
        Suffer an additional remark with reference to Mr. A. C. Ewing whose death was announced in your paper of the 17th inst. [June 27, 1834]
        Previous to his conversion, he erected a tent on the camp-ground near Franklin for the purpose of giving his wife the pleasure that but few settlers would make an effort to create.
        When convinced of sin, his sorrow of heart was so deep and peaceful that he sought the savior with tears, strong cries and prayers. At the commencement of this struggle his faith in the truth of revelation was not so strong as. That of many less disposed to seek the lord than he was; he therefore prayed for its increase until salvation was the result. He joined the Methodist E. Church and remained to the end one of its outstanding pillars, crowned with the name of strength, influence and beauty: dear and lamented in death.
        His humility was that which supports under suffering, produces. Patience in affliction and is pleasing to god in every situation in life. His retiring and affectionate disposition got him a deathless ride to the respect and good wishes of all who knew him. The poor, who left his house ladened with the gifts of benevolence may now point to his grave and say, "there lies the man who never sent us empty away."
        He spoke of his death with the composure of a Christian, the resignation of a saint and the majesty of a hero. To his sorrowful wife he addressed words of consolation while she lamented with unavailing woe the loss of all earthly comfort; telling her of consummate happiness when they should meet in heaven.
        He commended his children to the care of that God, who, with heaven's dread judgments, pleases the cause of orphans, celebrates their rights, avenges their wrongs and blasts with curses of extermination their cruel opponents. He desired his friends, if they ever saw his children err, to give them a gentle touch and remind


(Page 47)

them of their father's dying prayer which invoked for them the guidance and blessing of heaven.
        He lived without an enemy and died the happiest among the group of mourners in his death-chamber. With firm and undaunted step he crossed the valley of the shadow of death. His path was marked with glory to the summit of everlasting hills where an unknown and cloudless prospect of loveliness and beauty opened upon his vision.
        The journeying winds may sigh, as year after year they pass over his grave, and catch up the moss of broken hearts; the lightnings may exhaust their lurid fires upon his dust; fearful peals of thunder may shake the skies above him, but he wakes not till earth, in dread reverberations gives back the dead mandate of the eternal -then he shall feel and see and live.



Page 2:


        We have just received a letter from which we make the following extract. Its tidings are deeply afflictive.

New York, June 24, 1834
        Brother Wright is no more! This intelligence was brought to our book room in this city today, the particulars of which I am unable to give you, otherwise than that brother Spaulding and his wife are now on their way home.
Yours, &c.
La Roy Sunderland
P. S. Miss Farrington stays in Liberia.

        Since the above was received, we have learned from the New York Commercial Advertiser that the Presbyterian missionaries, Rev. Matthew Laird and wife and Rev. John Cloud, have died. They all fell victims to the fever. Rev. Rufus Spaulding and wife were to embark on board the Argus for the United States on the 12th of may to recruit their health. We may expect their arrival very soon.
        We mourn deeply for the loss of Dr. Wright. He was one who will be always loved by those who knew him for he possessed a most amiable disposition. Providence had conferred upon him, also, an intellect of no common power and one of the most brilliant and ready imaginations with which we were acquainted. This is illustrated with the greatest force in his poetry. Some passages will be discovered glowing with all the exuberance of a well stored and highly finished mind. Who can withstand the inspiration of that thrilling poetical article, commencing with

Afric! Wake from thy slumbers!

          We venture to say, no one. Many will remember the signature of "Woleumas" which so often appeared in different periodicals. But while we mourn for our deceased brother, it is not "as those without hope." Though his remains molder in Africa, with no memorial but the waving palm tree, yet we trust his sainted spirit is now enjoying afresh the society of those who have been sacrificed upon the same altar and buried in the same grave. Peace to his manes [sic].
        At a meeting of the young men's Methodist foreign missionary society of New England, held on Thursday evening last, the following resolutions were passed and it was voted that they should be published in the herald:
        Resolved, that we have heard with deep sorrow of the death of our beloved missionary in Africa, Rev. S. O. Wright.
        Resolved, that the corresponding secretary be directed to communicate to the relatives of brother Wright, an expression of our sympathy with them under this afflicting strike of a mysterious providence.
        A committee were appointed at the same meeting, to make arrangements for a funeral discourse to be preached in this city, with reference to the death of dr. Wright and his wife. When the arrangements are completed due notice will be given.



(Page 48)

July 25, 1834

Married. GEORGE DISMUKES, Sumner County, Tennessee, married HARRIET, daughter of JOHN WILLIAMSON (dec.), Davidson County, Tennessee, July 22, 1834.

Page 1:


        We have a melancholy satisfaction in inserting the following unaffected and affecting letter from the brother and once American companion of the lamented Richard Lander. The feelings expressed with so much simplicity of heart by his deeply attached brother are honorable to him and to our common nature and cannot fail to be read with true sympathy.
        With regard to the calamity which has deprived us of so interesting a traveler, we have much to add to the information already public. Poor Lander was doing so well after his return to Fernando Po, that to the very day previous to his death, when he took some food with appetite, no doubt was entertained of his speedy recovery. But alas! On that day mortification of the wound in his left thigh ensued and all hope was abandoned. So rapid was his prostration that he died soon after midnight; having given such directions respecting his affairs as the shortness of the warning permitted. While on his sick bed it is a consolation to learn that every possible and needful aid was his in the airiest room of Colonel Nicoll's residence, receiving the unremitting attention of that humane and gallant officer, with the best medical assistance and most soothing services, his pains were alleviated and his spirit cheered. His body was laid in the grave amid the vivid regrets of the entire population who accompanied the funeral; and an ardent desire is felt not only to discover who were the perpetrators of his soul murder but signally to punish their crime. Colonel Nicoll will, of course, do all in his power to retrieve his papers and property; for he escaped with nothing but what he wore at the moment of attack and was so much hurt in person as to be disabled even from writing. The natives of up the country where he was so much beloved, while they lament his loss, will, we doubt not, assist in investigating its cause, the proximity to the coast renders it indeed too probable that it was prompted by parties engaged in the slave trade.
        From what passed in the house of commons on Thursday night, we observe that a pension of 70 pounds per annum is settled on his afflicted widow about 80 pounds on his only child, a daughter. A fine boy died before his father. We now subjoin the letter alluded to; we owe it to the intense interest we have always taken in these brave and noble enterprises, which, sorrowful as is their termination, reflect a bright lustre upon the national character.

Dear sir:
        I have nothing to add to the account of the unfortunate occurrence as it appears in the newspapers, save that he was conscious of his approaching dissolution, talked with calmness to those around him and anticipated the termination of his career with composure and with hope. The history of his adventurous life, with its perils, privations and sufferage is already before the world. He was born in Truro, in Cornwall [England] on the 8th of February, 1804, so that at the period of his decease, he was within a few days of obtaining his thirtieth birthday. In early boyhood he moved [to] St. Domingo where he remained for some time and afterwards traveled in South Africa, from Cape Town inland to the farthest extremity of the colony. He was the survivor of Capperton's last and fatal expedition to central Africa and successful in making his way defenseless and alone, from Accra to Bagadry, on the western coast, a long, difficult and dangerous journey, through countries inhabited by a variety of tribes, by whom he was not only unmolested but treated for the most part with kindness and liberality. His interesting and important expedition to trace the course of the Niger to its termination and its successful issue, are already known to the public, who are indebted to Richard Lander for the solution of an intensely interesting question, which had engaged the attention of geographers for many centuries. It is a sorrowful reflection that, after all his painful toil and natural bodily suffering in the cause [of] African exploration, after having escaped, in a manner truly surprising, the treacherous and destructive influence of


(Page 49)

the climate, he should have met his death on the eve of returning to enjoy the fruits of noble honors in the bosom of domestic peace, by the hands of heartless savages amongst whom he was in the very act of endeavoring to introduce the blessing of civilization and the arts of peace!
        Richard Lander was of short stature, but he possessed great muscular strength and a constitution of iron. No stranger could help being struck, as Sir Joseph Banks was with Ledyard, "with the breadth of his chest, the openness of his countenance and the inquietude of his eye." He was gifted in an eminent degree with that passive courage which is so requisite a qualification in an African traveler. His manners were mild, unobtrusive and highly pleasing, which, joined to his cheerful temper and ingenuous, handsome countenance, rendered him a favorite with everyone that knew him, by most of whom he was beloved in the fullest sense of the word. The many distinguished individuals of the metropolis to whose society he was introduced after his return from the Niger discovery will subscribe to the truth of his assertion; but no one knows, to the fullest extent, except the companions of his boyhood, and the friends of his riper years, the unaffected and benevolence of his character and excellence of his warm and generous heart.
        To them and to every member of his disconsolate family, who were tenderly attached to him, his melancholy and most distressing fate will be the bitterest ingredient in the cup of life. So greatly was Richard Lander beloved by the untutored Africans, that at various places in the interior, where he had remained sometime, at Katunga, Boussa, Yaorie and other places, numbers of the inhabitants ran out of their huts to embrace him on his leaving their town; and, with hands uplifted and eyes filled with tears, they blessed him in the name of their God. He has left a fatherless child and an afflicted, broken-hearted widow to mourn their distressing bereavement.
        How melancholy has been the fate of most travelers in Africa! The daring Ledyard who had been a wanderer over a great part of the globe, fell a victim to the climate, not long after he first set foot on African soil; the brave and unfortunate Major Houghton, plundered and forsaken by the Moors of Ingiamma, perished miserably in the wilderness: the justly celebrated Mungo Park was attacked by the natives with spears and arrows and terminated his career in the Niger; Major Denham escaped all the dangers of the vast and dreary Sahara only to die at Sierra Leone; Belzoni, in an attempt to explore the Niger fell a sacrifice to the climate of Berim. Many European travelers in Africa have never been heard of after setting out on their journey; the enterprising, kind-hearted Clapperton, borne down by disappointment and by a languishing disorder that reduced him to a skeleton, and to complete the list, owing to the sullen ferocity of a band of savages, Richard Lander is also gone down to the grave. But the fate of these brave men is not an inglorious one; their names are embalmed in the memory of their countrymen; and every friend of humanity and honorable enterprise will mourn over the melancholy termination of their labors.
        "To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die."

John Lander


[RICHARD LEMON LANDER was born in Truro, Cornwall, England, February 8, 1804; he accompanied Lt. Hugh Clapperton to western Africa for exploratory purposes and was with the latter man at his death in 1827. As THE WESTERN METHODIST obituary noted, he returned to Africa several times, exploring the Niger River, lastly representing merchants who wanted to open up trade with central African inhabitants and while so involved his party was set upon by Brass River natives, at which time he received a bullet wound in a thigh, from which wound he died on February 2 or 7, 1834. His exploits were highly trumpeted during his life-time and for years afterwards. (See, RICHARD LEMON LANDER, THE DICTIONARY OF NATIONAL BIOGRAPHY, Oxford University Press, 1968, volume 11, pages 490-492.]


(Page 50)

August 1, 1834

Page 2:


        Departed this life to enter upon which is eternal, Mr. James Nelson Spence of this city [Nashville, Tennessee], aged about 31 years. He lived an exemplary life and had been a member of the Methodist church about three years. His distressing illness of several months seemed but to purify his Christian graces and he died on Monday, July 2_ [faded] as one who had heard the voice of his Father call upward, happy, calm, resigned. Such was the prostration of his strength that he spoke little for several days before his death and only in answer to questions asked by his friends.
        He was a printer by profession and the following tribute of esteem for his memory emanated from the Nashville Typographical Society.

Memory of the departed

        It is requested that the members of the Nashville Typographical Society wear crape on the left arm for thirty days in respect to the memory of James Nelson Spence. By order, John Cowardin, Secretary.


Page 3:


        Mrs. Ann Brewer, consort of Dr. J. M. Brewer, departed this life, Wednesday, 21 July, 1834. Sister brewer has been an exemplary member of the Methodist church for the last five years. During her last illness she exhibited the patience, firmness and enjoyed the peace and triumph of the Christian. She was conversed with frequently on the subject of religion and the nature of her faith and the most satisfactory evidence was given though her mortal flesh was failing. God was the strength of her heart and portion forever. On the morning of her death, faint and cold, drenched in cold sweat, she asked what was the matter with her; being informed she was dying, she observed, I am willing to die; I am in heaven, how beautiful every thing looks!
        She continued to smile, looking steadily with her eye fixt as if on something. A few minutes before she breathed her last, raising her emaciated hands towards heaven and clapping them together as well as her extreme weakness would allow, continued in whispers to pray, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit." Soon her happy spirit winged its triumphant flight to the bosom of her redeemer." Let me die the death of the righteous that my last end may be like unto his."

Robert C. Jones
Trenton [Tennessee] July 21, 1834



        Departed this life on Wednesday morning last, 23d inst. [July 23, 1834], after an illness of seven or eight days, Samuel T. Edwards of Williamson county, a high- minded and honorable man. He had, like many others, neglected religion, until disease was fast wasting the vitals of life; he then and for several days previous to his death felt and expressed an ardent desire for the pardon of his sins. . . . He did not seek the Lord in vain. His funeral was attended on the same evening by a respectable and weeping assembly who will long remember their valued relation and friend.

M. L. A.


(Page 51)

August 8, 1834

Page 1:


        Died at the residence of his father in Rutherford county [Tennessee] on the 21st inst. [July 21, 1834], after an illness of four days, Mr. Henry H. Jones, in the nineteenth year of his age.
        Seldom have we been called on to record a more afflictive dispensation of the providence of god; truly,

God moves in a mysterious way
His wonders to perform.

        He was a great favorite with his family and no pains or expense had been spared in his training and education. His rapid advancement in knowledge and virtuous bearing promised to surpass the most sanguine hopes of his parents and his amiable conduct and blandness of manners placed him high in the esteem of the whole circle of his acquaintances and relatives.
        On the 13th inst., only eight days before his death and three days before his attack, he was married to an amiable and interesting woman.
        At his marriage we beheld him in fine health, a mind richly stored with knowledge for a man of his age, ample fortune and the delight of his family; hope stood on tip-toe and looked through a long perspective of happy days and joyous seasons. But alas! What a change has eight days produced!
        That rosy cheek is blanched, that sparkling eye is quenched and the manly form is embraced in the icy arms of death! "Behold thou hast made my days as an hand's breadth and mine age as nothing before thee; verily every man at his best estate is altogether vanity."
        Fortunately for this interesting young man, he had hearkened to the voice of his Savior and had "first" sought "the kingdom of God and his righteousness." At a protracted meeting held by our beloved brother Pitts in the fall of '32 at which I was present, this lovely youth became the subject of converting grace. His manifestation was lucid; well do I remember how his words thrilled through the congregation when with beaming eyes and heaven-lit countenance he proclaimed the love of God. He immediately joined the church and was zealous and useful. Some ten months afterwards, he was licensed to preach and intended at conference to itinerate; in the meantime his labors were abundant and his success considerable. Through the influence of some friends he for the present abandoned the idea of traveling and commenced the study of medicine, though with a heavy heart and great reluctance; though he was so young he thought it best to yield to the advice of older and more experienced heads. The study of medicine engaged so much of his attention and time that he lost ground in religion. The first day of his attack, he said to his father, his sickness was unto death and he did not feel prepared to die; that he had no done right, his failing to travel and preach; that the three weeks he was on the circuit with brother Dodson were the happiest days of his life. Brother James, a venerable Minister of the Gospel, was called in who conversed and prayed for him and before he, he had a bright manifestation, "the love of God was shed abroad" in his heart. From this time till he breathed his last, his evidence continued bright, inclinations of the new Jerusalem seemed now to break upon his spiritual eyes and lifted him above earthly ties and claims he exhorted the numerous friends that called on him to prepare for heaven and particularly his attending physician and preceptor and sent a pressing injunction to his family to prepare for the solemn ordeal they had to pass. Said he, "Doctor, shall I live half an hour?" The doctor said time is short. He replied, "Glory to God, I shall soon be with my grandfather Marable." To his wife he said, "weep not for me, my wife, my friend, I am going to glory." He took an affectionate leave of his father and mother, called around him his brothers, kissed them and commended them to god and his grace; he then said, "I cannot collect my lines, but like Paul I have fought the good fight." Here he breathed his last, like many of nature's favorites. "He sparkled, was exhaled and went to heaven."
        The weeping crowds that attended his burial next day gave evidence of his worth; tears were wrung from the most hardened and many were heard to vow they would seek religion. Like Sampson, I trust he slew many by his death.

Martin Clark
Murfreesboro, T., July 23, 1834


(Page 52)

[Pages 3-4 of the August 8, 1834 issue are missing]


August 15, 1834

Page 3:


        Died at her residence in Robertson county [Tennessee], on the 2nd of august, 1834, in the 45th year of her age, Mrs. Mary E. Williamson, wife of Thomas Williamson. Mrs. Williamson made a profession of religion at Ellis's Chapel (Todd county, Ky.) at their august camp-meeting in 1827: shortly after she joined the Methodist church at that place and has ever since remained an exemplary member and devoted Christian. In her death, a husband, three children and a numerous connection, mourn a loss which nothing earthly can repair; society and the church, one of their brightest ornaments. The circumstances attending Mrs. Williamsons' death were of long and painful duration; her health had been bad for 18 months and the last six months she was principally confined to her room; although she frequently suffered the most excruciating pain, she bore it with that fortitude and meekness becoming a Christian. A few days previous to her death, whilst many friends were around her bed expecting every minute to be her last, her class leader commenced singing and to the surprise and admiration of all present, she joined with him and song in a dear and audible voice, one or two verses; which circumstance brought to the recollection of the writer of this notice the following lines of the poet:

Behold the pilgrim as she dies,
With glory in her view;
To heaven she lifts her longing eyes
And bids the world adieu.

While friends stand weeping all around,
And loth to let her go
She shouts with her expiring breath
And leaves them all below.



        Departed this life on the 2d day of July, 1834, in Randolph [Tennessee], Sarah Drummonds. Sister Drummonds was born in Georgia in the year 1800 and removed with her parents at an early age to middle Tennessee. She was attentive to the direction of inspiration. "remember thy creator in the days of thy youth." She, when young, became a witness that god had power on earth to forgive sin and became a member of the Methodist E. Church. But the rose was doomed early to fade; she lost her health, visited the Western District, thinking the free-stone water would be of an advantage; there she became acquainted with and married the man who now mourns the loss of an affectionate wife, Mr. Mack Drummonds. She may truly be said to have lived a life of suffering; oft by friends and physicians thought to be at the verge of the grave. She never forgot that our light afflictions, which are but for a moment, shall work for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory. She never murmured nor complained, but was patient, meek, humble and persevering — yes, verily, the salt of the earth. She was an affectionate wife, a tender parent and a devoted Christian. She is gone to paradise and all who knew her are sensible of the loss the family, the society and community have sustained. She died of bilious fever, sick eight days, died in triumph — went happy to heaven. She lived and died the life of the righteous. "and I heard a voice from heaven, saying unto me, write, blessed are the dead that die in the Lord from henceforth; yea, saith the spirit, for they rest from their labor and their works do follow them." Amen.

Samuel R. Davidson


A woman lately on her death bed in Madison co. [Tennessee] is said to have sent for a young man and told him she had a burden on her mind which she must disclose. She said, "28 years ago, your father held a man and I killed him." The young man's father has been dead for some years. An investigation is said to prove that the murdered man was thought to have run away — he had money. The old man's name Dye; the woman's Leech. If true, this disclosure confirms the old adage, "murder will out."


(Page 53)

August 22, 1834

Page 1:


        A very devout Christian has entered into rest. The subject of the following brief memoir, Mr. Sylvanus Fisher, who departed this life on the 16th July, 1834, at his residence in Perry county, Ten., in the 39th year of his age. He was a native of Mecklenburg county, N.C. from whence he emigrated to Bedford county, Tennessee, where he lived six years. He then removed to Perry county where he finished his course as above. He sought and found the pearl of great price in the 9th year of his age and joined the Methodist Episcopal Church. After which time he lived by faith, giving glory to God and delighting himself much with the denomination of Christians to whom he had attached himself. He was very exemplary in life and very triumphant in death. During his last illness, which was protracted three weeks and four days, he enjoyed much of the presence of God and often in lofty strains of Christian eloquence made known to his weeping family and friends his brightening prospects of heaven and eternal happiness. Just before he died, he told his physician, Dr. Waddy, that he wished him to be candid with him and if he thought he was going to die, to let him know it. He was told that he would soon depart if there was not a change for the better. It was appalling but pleasing. With ecstatic joy he exclaimed, "What wondrous love is this?" When he could no longer speak, he raised his hand in token of deathless triumph and in a state of such transport he was called away.

And die angels say,
Come, happy spirit, fly away,
And be at rest with God on high.

He is not here, his soul has fled
To reign with Christ, his living head;
Far, far beyond these mortal shores,
He met with those that's gone before,
And now adores the God of grace
With songs of everlasting praise.

Yours Respectfully, Thomas Loyd
August 2d, 1834



        Departed this life on the morning of the 4th July, 1834, Mrs. Mary s. McCoy, wife of James D. McCoy of Alexandria, La., and only child of Mr. John Dunwody of the Parish of Rapides in the 20th year of her age. Father Dunwody and his companion (deceased a few year since) may be numbered among the pioneers of Methodism in western Louisiana. Long has their hospitable dwelling afforded "a sweet resting place" to the weary itinerant [preacher] who had sought out these wilds of the "far west" and with truly apostolic devotion, hazarded health and life in an uncongenial clime that he might tell to its dying population the joyful story of redeeming love! A few years since the mother finished her course with joy; and now, the daughter, the spiritual child of many prayers, has gone to join her! The veteran farther having seen the last of his immediate offspring consigned, in youth, to the charnel-house, is now left like the solitary oak when all the trees of its native grove have fallen around it, to breast the storm alone. No, not alone! For surely God is with his aged servant.
        It is not the writer's purpose to indite a labored panegyric, not to dwell on the many social and domestic virtues which shone conspicuously in the life of the deceased; no, let God have all the glory before whom she had humbly walked and whose presence shed lightness on her dying couch when all earthly hope had failed. Her illness was protracted and painful but she bore her heavy and complicated afflictions with a degree of fortitude and resignation which religion alone could have inspired. She had anticipated the final termination of the disease and contemplated the approach of death so calmly that he seemed to have no


(Page 54)

terrors for her and when at length his icy hand was laid upon her she sweetly fell asleep without a struggle. By this decree of inscrutable wisdom, father and husband are left "bowed down like a bulrush" under a painful sense of their deep bereavement, while two tender babes are unconsciously deprived of a mother's watchful care. But she has exchanged a world of affliction and sorrow for an eternity of happiness on the high and flowery plains where "sickness and sorrow, pain and death are felt and feared no more."

Happy soul! thy days are ended,
All thy mourning days below;
Go, by angel guards attended,
To the sight of Jesus, go.

Waiting to receive thy spirit,
Lo! the Savior stands above;
Shows the purchase of his merit,
Reaches out the crown of love.



August 29, 1834

State of Tennessee
Davidson County Circuit Court


It appeared that complainant, BEDFORD, had purchased part of Lot 62 in Nashville, Tennessee, which he bought from the heirs of ROBERT SEARCY, dec., who had purchased this property from ANTHONY FOSTER about 18-20 years ago; that SEARCY had built an office on the parsel, occupied it until his death in 1820; that his SEARCY representatives "held onto this property until the present time, that ANTHONY FOSTER died about 1825 and never made any claim to the property after he allegedly sold it to SEARCY but the FOSTER heirs, the defendants, refused to acknowledge the sale of FOSTER to SEARCY, complicating matters considerably as the deed involved "was never registered and is lost or mislaid," hence the lawsuit between these various parties.


Died Aug. 24th, of bowel complaint, Emma Yeatman Erwin, aged 10 months; infant daughter of John P. Erwin, Esq. of this city [Nashville, Tennessee]



        Died, on the lst inst. [August 1, 1834], at his residence in Amherst near Lynchburg [Virginia], Rev. Stith Mead of the Methodist Episcopal Church in the 68th year of his age, leaving a widow and seven children. Mr. Mead was a native of Virginia and had been a laborer in the Methodist itinerancy for more than 40 years, having belonged either to the Virginia or the Georgia conferences as an active or superannuated minister ever since the year 1792, about two years after his conversion, a period when Methodism was a symbol of reproach and a badge of persecution. Mr. Mead was a man of strong mind, of great energy and zealous temperament; and few have contributed more than he to build up the waste places of Zion by calling sinners to repentance. His piety was deep and fervent, enabling him alike to resist the dangerous influence of worldly prosperity and to sustain himself against the tempest of adversity that beat upon his old age! In his dying hour, he found in the promises of the gospel rich consolation and unfailing support and he entered the dark valley and shadow of death, fearing no evil, because he leaned on the rock Christ Jesus. "He rests from his labors and his works do follow him." It may be added that Mr. Mead was the founder and first proprietor of this paper, the publication of which he commenced about the year 1806 under the title of "The Lynchburg Press" which title is retained until 1822 when one of the present editors becoming interested in it, assumed the name of "The Virginian."

From the Lynchburg Virginian


(Page 55)

[The Reverend STITH MEAD was the sixth child of Colonel WILLIAM and ANN (HAILE) MEAD, of Bucks County, Pennsylvania and later of Loudoun and Bedford counties, Virginia; later moved to Augusta, Georgia. The WILLIAM AND MARY QUARTERLY, 1902, volume 10, page 194: "Sixth. Stith Mead, born September 25, 1767, married October 7, 1807, Prudence Watkins Blakeley, daughter of Reuben and Mary Blakeley of Henrico County, Va. He was a prominent member of the M. E. Church, having become a member September 27, 1789, enrolled on the minutes of the conference at Raleigh, N. C., May 29, 1792."]


Page 3:


New York, August 8.

        Health of the city. In faithfulness to truth, we are bound to say there is no longer any doubt of the existence of Asiatic cholera in this city though as yet the cases are few. Last night and this morning we have heard of 8 or 10 cases, most or all of which have terminated fatally. About the same number, we learn, have been reported to the board of health. They are in all, parts of the city, proving that the disease was not caught, as the expression is, but that it was endemic. On the contrary, there are two or three cases which appear to have followed the laws of contagion.
        A young man by the name of Stephen Decker, a cooper's apprentice, living nearly opposite to the residence of the late Wm. Lawson in front street was attacked on Wednesday and died in six or eight hours.
        John Barrett, in Washington street near Cedar was taken yesterday morning; at 10 p.m. was in a state of collapse and is since dead.
        A Frenchman, living at the corner of Warren and Church streets, dead.
        A colored man by the name of Stephen Jones, Hammersly street died yesterday after an illness of a few hours.
        William Wilton, no. 7 Coenties slip, a stevedore and said to be a temperate man was attacked last night and when we last heard from him appeared to be dying.
        There have been three cases at the corner of 8th street and Sixth avenue, two of which have terminated fatally. The issue of the third is doubtful.
          A colored man on board the highlander of Balleville, lying at pier no. 2 East River was attacked last night or early this morning and about 1 o'clock this afternoon was carried to the Alms House in the park where he died in about 20 minutes.
        The resident physician has been called this afternoon to visit two or three cases represented to be cholera in the thirteenth ward.
        There is no doubt a good deal of spurious cholera.
        Last night a man named Charles Carey was found lying in the streets with such strong symptoms of the Asiatic cholera that an experienced physician who was called immediately signed a certificate that the man was laboring under cholera and he was removed to the Alms House. On his arrival Colonel Mann administered a dose of laudanum and peppermint to him and sent off for Doctor Brown, physician to the Bridewell, who pronounced the case to be one of common cholera morbue and prescribed for him. Carey gradually got better during the night and this morning was able to return home.
        The joint committee of the common council on the subject of health will meet this afternoon to adopt measures for the establishment of a hospital, &c.


(Page 56)

September 5, 1834

Page 1:


        Departed this life at her father's residence in this county [Davidson county, Tennessee], on the 27th July, in the 18th year of her age, Miss Mary L. Crutchloe. She was a lovely and affectionate child, the idol of her father's house and the centre of attraction and esteem in the circle of her acquaintance. Her mind was bright and buoyant, natively quick and interesting, influenced by a mildness of manners that secured the respect of her friends and arrested the regard of the stranger. Some two years since she was converted to God and I know not which has the deepest effect upon all around, the clearness of her conversion, the holiness of her life or the triumph of her dying hours. She was a plain, persevering and honorable member of the M. E. Church. And although she left with many weeping friends, youth, beauty and friendship behind, she carried the consolations of her holy religion through the lonely valley. And while all eyes were dim with weeping she was calm and happy and after leaving many tender directions behind to her relatives and friends, she sweetly and quietly slept in Jesus and like the star of the same lovely Sabbath morn, did not set in gloom but melted away in the light of heaven. Her funeral was preached by the Rev. F. E. Pitts at the camp-meeting at Smyrna, one mile from her father's, which was then in session. The text was [from] Isaiah, the effect of which we trust will tell in eternity.




        Died of bilious fever on the 15th Aug., Mrs. Susan T. Gibson, wife of Jesse Gibson and daughter of Thomas P. and Ann Holman of Wilson county, Ten., leaving behind four tender children to mourn her loss. She was born April 18th, 1808. She embraced religion at the age of 14 and joined herself to the M. E. Church in which she continued until death broke the ties to earth and united her with stronger ties to heaven.
        She possessed a fine mind, high and noble disposition. In her house the weary pilgrim of the cross found a home. Her resolution was of the uncommon kind; no difficulty too high for her to surmount and when seized with the disease that terminated her mortal career, her fortitude was such that she would not give up until the candor of her physician and friends informed her that she must die. She then implored divine aid and when interrogated on her feelings, she had but one thing to lament and that was, she had not been as faithful as she might but thanked God she had such an arm on which to lean and without a groan bid adieu to the sufferings of life and her body now rests beneath the clod where the winds and thunders of heaven cannot interrupt her repose until the trump of god shall shake creation; then the legion bands of death cannot confine her, but she shall rise to meet her lord in the air and meet his divine approbation, "well done good and faithful servant, enter thou into the joy of thy Lord."

Robert L. Andrews
Shelbyville [Tennessee], Aug. 25, 1834


(Page 57)

Page 3:


        Died in Florence, Ala. on the 18th of August, 1834, Mrs. S. Parthenia Sample, consort of Mr. James Sample and oldest daughter of Maj. Hugh McVay. She was born on the 24th of April, 1802 and became a member of the M. E. Church in august 1825. A devoted and exemplary Christian she lived as became the gospel of Christ; in private our departed sister cherished a spirit of meek and humble piety and in public, she delighted in the ordinances of God's house. They always gave her strength and renewed comfort, especially to the classroom where she was wont to bask in the smiles of a loving Savior. A long and distressing illness of eighteen months deprived her of the privileges of public worship but not of the joys of salvation. God was with her to cheer the weary hours of affliction and when her sisters of the church (as was their custom) would assemble at her house to hold prayer meetings, she would appear to be so filled with the love of God, as almost to forget the afflictions of disease. She had lingered long and suffered greatly towards the close of life, still she bore it all patiently and cheerfully to the last moment. And when the solemn hour of departure was at hand, she called up her family and first addressing her two daughters, to each one she said, "My dear daughter, I am going to leave you; be a good girl and keep your religion; read your bible, attend church regularly and try to meet your mother in Glory. Mind your father; you have a good father; when you want advice go to him. Be good to your sister and to your little brothers; and may the lord bless you and save you in his kingdom. Kiss your mother." Then taking an affectionate farewell of her husband, children and friends present, the dying saint clapped her hands in victory and exclaimed, "Farewell vain world, I am going home." This solemn and interesting scene, occurred about six o'clock in the morning; still the departing spirit lingered in the clay tenement and she fell into a sweet slumber until five o' clock in, the evening when she awoke, looked around upon her relations and friends, gazed with fixed and happy eyes towards heaven, as though she saw the angels coming to receive her pure spirit and once more exclaiming, "Farewell vain world, I am going home" sunk into the arms of death while the last word "home" hung upon her lips. Thus did our departed sister fall asleep in jesus without a struggle or a sigh. Well might the poet say,

With ease, our souls through death shall glide
Into their paradise;
And thence on wings of angels ride,
Triumphant through the skies.

        The writer of this brief notice has dwelt upon the dying hour of a departed Christian because it is the most glorious of his whole life. It is a triumphant exhibition of the divine power and efficacy of Christianity. It is practical commentary upon a pious life and shows "old a Christian can die." The triumphant death of the subject of this memoir will tell the manner of her life. It was spent in deeds of piety and benevolence and in the humble worship of her god. He has taken her to himself and we are left to follow her bright example. A husband, two, daughters and three sons, an aged father, a brother, three sisters and a numerous circle of acquaintances lament the loss of a beloved relative and friend and humbly hope that their latter end may be like hers.

To see a pilgrim as she dies,
With glory in her view,
To heaven she lifts her wishful eyes,
And bids the world adieu.


(Page 58)

Page 3:


Messrs. Editors.
        The above sentiment ["the span of time was short indeed" — Pollock] has been clearly exemplified recently in our pleasant village [Pulaski, tennessee] on the evening of the first day of May last, in the midst of a large circle of happy friends and youthful acquaintances, I solemnized the rites of matrimony between Mr. James H. Topp and Miss Virginia Meredith. Both were young; the former about 22, the latter, 16. On the cheek of each was seen the glow of health whilst their eyes sparkled with vigor and the smile of contentment and love rested on their placid brows.
        Happily united in marriage, blessed with ample fortune, surrounded by a number of admiring relatives, they entered upon the world "with spirits as buoyant as air." But alas! Their journey was short, their race swift. On the 12th of July a numerous throng followed, in funeral procession, the mortal remains of Mr. Topp to the grave yard where with weeping eyes and sorrowful hearts, he was deposited in the house appointed for all the living.
        This day [August 29, 1834] his youthful and grief-worn companion was lain by his side. Ever since the death of her husband she has been rapidly declining and in six weeks she has closed her earthly career.
        Of the future happiness of both we have strong hope for on the subject of religion they were deeply interested and gave satisfactory evidence of a preparation to meet death. But oh! What a striking illustration is this, of the great uncertainty of human happiness and human life. Well did the wise man say, "remember now thy creator in the days of thy youth" &c. And with how much force should the words of Jesus strike us, "seek first the kingdom of god and his righteousness."
        Let not the young and wealthy, anticipate long life and many pleasurable scenes, for "man that is born of a woman is of few days and full of trouble; he cometh forth as a flower and is cut down." Neither wealth or poverty, youth nor innocence, the wise nor the ignorant is free from the blasting hand of death. All, all must die and "there is but one step between us and death."
        In heaven alone the tree of immortality will flourish. There are pleasures which never fade, — there youth and beauty, innocence and purity, forever bloom — there the streams of life eternally flow — there pain and death are eternal strangers. Then let all those who desire happiness and seek for bliss, secure an interest in Jesus; lay up for themselves treasure in heaven that wasteth not away.

Yours, &c., J. B. McFerrin
Pulaski, Aug. 29, 1834


Page 3:


        A correspondent, under date of Caledonia, Vt. [Vermont], July 22, 1834, writes thus "a great and good man has fallen! The hon. Benj. F. Deming, member of Congress, is no more! He died at Saratoga Springs, July 11, on his way from Washington to Danville, Vt., his native place. He was a member of the Methodist E. Church. He was second to few men in the state. Humanity mourns, justice weeps and religion is veiled in sackcloth. A melancholy gloom hangs over Caledonia which will not soon be dispelled. How mysterious are the ways of providence.

From, Zion's Herald


From BIOGRAPHICAL DIRECTORY OF THE AMERICAN CONGRESS, 1774-1974, Washington, D.C., 1974, page 846:

DEMING, Benjamin F., a Representative from Vermont; born in Danville, Caledonia County, Vt., in 1790; pursued an academic course; engaged in mercantile pursuits; member of the Governor's council 1827-1832; clerk of the Caledonia County Court 1817- 1833; county judge of probate 1821-1833; elected as a Whig to the Twenty-third Congress and served from March 4, 1833, until his death at Saratoga Springs, N.Y., en route home, July 11, 1834; interment in Danville Green Cemetery, Danville, Caledonia County, Vt.


(Page 59)

Page 4:


        Died in Monrovia, Feb. 4th, 1834, Mrs. Phebe W. Wright, wife of Rev. S. O. Wright, missionary of the M. E. Church in Africa, aged 23.
        Mrs. Wright embarked with her husband, in company with eight other missionaries to this colony, on board the ship Jupiter at Norfolk, Va., Nov. 5th, 1833 and arrived at this place Jan. 1st, 1834. Although naturally of a delicate constitution, the fatigues and privations of a sea voyage seemed forbidden to make their ordinary inroads upon her; and during the passage and upon the arrival of the vessel at this port, she found herself in possession of better health than she had enjoyed for months previous. This circumstance, in connection with the fact, that from the time of her arrival until she was seized with the fever of the country her health was almost uninterrupted, raised in the minds of her friends sanguine expectations that she would be able to sustain the change of climate and the anticipated sickness which she must endure. But in this we have been painfully disappointed. After attending with the utmost assiduity and with all the strength of woman's love, upon her companion during a severe attack of the fever, she was attacked likewise. Her sickness was of short duration and just as hope began to take the place of fear and suspense, it only threw its rainbow hues around the heart, to make way for the pall of death. At the expiration of ten days, notwithstanding the unremitting attentions of a most skilful physician, she was no more among the living; she was not, for God took her.
        Mrs. W. from the first dawning of reason enjoyed in invaluable blessing of parental religious instruction and example, from a father who is now engaged in preaching the Gospel and from a mother who rests in the bosom of the father of spirits.
        At any early age she embraced religion and from that time until her death, amid all the temptations of the adversary of souls, the attractions of earthly pleasures and the blandishments of the world, she pursued the even tenor of her way, exhibiting in an eminent degree, all those amiable qualities and growing virtues which ever render woman what she should be, both in the heart of her husband and in the estimation of all her acquaintances and which fail not to illume the shadowed path of man and give joy and gladness in the cottage and in the prouder mansion. It was her delight to do good; and she had a heart which bled for others' woes, so she was ever ready to relieve them, though suffering and danger stood in her path. Influenced by such heaven born principles, a few months after her union with her husband she voluntarily resolved to forego all the fond endearments of her native land for the purpose of devoting her time and talent in attempting to instruct and elevate the minds of the unenlightened natives of this continent. But, before the plan of future operations could be commenced, god saw fit to call her from the embrace of her friends and from his philanthropic work.
        Our friend has thus passed away in the midst of bright expectations of usefulness and in the bloom of life; but in this humble tribute to her memory we disdain fulsome eulogy, while we drop a tear over remembered worth. Her grave is with us, far from her native land; it is yet green and as we look upon it, let us learn to live, so that when the hand of death shall arrest us, like our friend, we may depart in the glorious consciousness that there are many mansions in the house of our father in heaven which we shall inherit, while friend and stranger may tread softly at our grave side.


(Page 60)


WILLIAM G. LOYD married JANE CARTER, Giles County, Tennessee, recently.


Reverend CALVIN PHILEO [sic], Ithaca, New York, married PRUDENCE CRANDELL, Canterbury, Connecticut, August 12, 1834.

DAVID BANKS married ELLEN, daughter of Major CARDWELL BREATHITT (dec.), Logan County, Kentucky, in Princeton, Kentucky, recently.

Reverend O. D. STREET, Winchester, Tennessee married MARY ANN, daughter of THOMAS ADKINS, Madison County, Alabama, in Huntsville, August 28, 1834.

JOHN M. BELL, merchant, Giles County, Tennessee married FRANCIS, oldest daughter of G. D. TAYLOR, August 26, 1834.

Page 1:


        Died on the 23d of August, at his residence in Lawrence county, Ten., Rev. Jeremiah Jackson, aged 63 years. He embraced the Christian religion in early life, united himself to the M. E. Church and in a short time became a laborer in the vineyard of the Lord. He had, at his decease, been a Minister of the Gospel 40 years; a considerable part of which time he was well known as a member of the Tennessee annual conference, until the imbecility of age compelled him confine his labors within a local sphere. To delineate thoroughly his ministerial course during that period would far surpass the limits of this sketch; suffice it to say, that his labors both in an itinerant and local capacity have ever been attended by the blessings of the, most high. His exemplary life as a Christian, his indefatigable and as a preacher, his fidelity as a friend and neighbor, his affection as a husband and parent, and his devotedness to the welfare of his family, are reflections which will ever endear his memory to his bereaved family and numerous friends. I (the writer of this sketch) have enjoyed the inestimable privilege of attending on father Jackson's ministry, from childhood up; for the last four or five years I have often heard him say, when preaching, that he knew from the debilitated state of his body that his career was near its end and that he always preached as though he was going right from the pulpit to the bar of Jehovah. But he now rests from his labors and his works do follow him.
        Before he lost the power of utterance, while conversing with an aged friend, he said he had no choice whether to live or die but was perfectly resigned to the will of God; after he was supposed to have been speechless for some hours, a friend on visiting him, told him by way of consolation that his suffering time was drawing to a close; whereupon a serene smile passed over his countenance, and in an audible voice he replied, Yes, my brother! Yes, my brother! Thus fell the venerable sentinel from the walls of Zion; his mortality has returned to dust from whence it came. . . . Methinks I'll see him clothed in laurels of immortal glory, rise triumphant over the last enemy and re-unite with the heavenly host to sing the song of redeeming grace and dying love through the annals of a never ending eternity.
        Father Jackson lived to raise his family and see the most of them converted to God who can testify to his exemplary life, his patience and resignation in sickness and his happy and triumphant death. "let me die the death of the righteous."

August 28, 1834


(Page 61)

Page 1:


        The dying testimony of saints is of great importance to the Christian world. 1st because it is proof of the genuineness of the Christian religion. 2d because it confirms the truth of the glorious doctrine that the spirit which enabled the apostles to face death in his most terrific form with dauntless intrepidy and to seal the testimony of their religion with their blood, yet resides in the true Christian church; and 3d because while this glorious doctrine is thus confirmed, Christians are encouraged to seek for the perfect love that casteth our all fear, even the fear of death.
        Our dearly beloved and much lamented bro. Jesse McNally, the subject of the following brief sketch, resided in Jackson county, Ala., and departed this life on the 18th of June, 1834. Bro. McNally was born in Virginia and in an early age removed to Franklin county, Ten. where for many years he sought pleasure in the fading flowers of time; he at last found he was trying to feast an immortal mind on husks.
        He was encouraged in the 35th year of his age to attend a camp-meeting held at Farris', Franklin co., Tenn., where the thunders of Sinai caused him to cry, "O! wretched man that I am, who shall deliver me from the body of this death?" He was then accompanied, by one more glorious than annaidus [ananius], even the spirit of truth, to the mournful mount of Calvary, where he heard the dying groans of the son of God and then the scales fell from his eyes and by the aid of the light of the new Jerusalem, he saw the lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world and he was heard to exclaim, "thanks be to God for the inestimable gift of the spirit of adoption into the family of the king of saints." He then attached himself to the M. E. Church where he lived a member until the great head called him to join the church triumphant. The primary cause of his death was a wound by a ball which forced its rugged passage through his trunk, received in an engagement with the Creeks at the battle of the Horse Shoe. On the 14th of June his life was assailed by the pale horse and his rider; he was in his proper mind and deeply sensible of his near dissolution and although seized with the very pangs of death, he bore his pain with that degree of heroism which should ever characterize the dying saint. On the evening of the 18th, he informed his companion, who was weeping near him, that the storm of life would soon be over. She then asked what his prospect was beyond the grave; he observed he was going to rest in paradise with god, and said,

Not a cloud doth arise, to darken the skies
Nor hide for a moment the Lord from my eyes.

        He then selected the place of his interment and the plank for his coffin and delivered to his weeping wife and mourning children the valedictory address with much correctness. He then requested his companion to bring him the looking glass [mirror]; she brought it; he took it in his hand and looking said, "my eyes are waning in death; my cheeks have turned pale; my pulse is but weak and few; my heart has ceased to palpitate." He told his companion to raise him up. At this moment the golden beams of the sun of righteousness penetrated the dismal gloom and illuminated the chill mansion and shadow of death and spread glory inexpressible around the dying pilgrim, whilst he sung with a sweet but quivering tone,

O Jesus my Savior, to thee I submit,
With love and thanksgiving fall down at thy feet
The sac _____

        His voice here sunk in death and he fell asleep in the arms of Jesus and now is in paradise with the people of god. O may the fulness of the grace of God rest upon the widow and orphans; and may they at last be brought to heaven through Christ Jesus. Amen.

Lorenzo D. Mullins
Jackson, Ala., Aug. 18, 1834


(Page 62)

Page 2:

Columbia [Tennessee]
September 3d, 1834

Messrs. Editors.

        It becomes my painful duty to announce to you the death of our beloved brother, Rev. Lorenzo Dow Overall. He died in this town on the 28th ult. [August 28, 1834] of billious [sic] fever, at the house of P. Nelson, Esq. The comforts of that Gospel he so often preached to others, sustained him in his last moments when his redeemed and sanctified spirit, clad in the garments of salvation, took its flight to fairer worlds on high.
        Brother Overall appeared to have some premonition of his death; from the commencement of his affliction he said to his attending friends he never could recover though the symptoms at first were by no means alarming. I was called upon to pray with him, which I did, and urged my petition at the throne of mercy for his recovery, after which he observed, though I said amen to your prayer for my recovery, I said it without thought; my mind leads me onward, I do not expect to recover. I desire to depart and be with Christ which is far better. He spoke beautifully about his ministerial life, the disinterestedness with which he entered upon and continued his ministerial labors, that view of honesty that characterized his whole life, a single eye to win souls to Christ and secure his own salvation by obeying the will of God. He adverted to the care taken of his early years by his pious parents in training him up in the way in which he should go. Many expressions fell from his lips that are treasured up in the memory of his brethren and friends, the recollection of which will be to them a cordial in times of trouble and affliction; as he verged toward the spirit land, his sky became clearer and brighter; his hope stronger and stronger until the last wave of affliction extinguished the vital spark, when with the greatest possible composure, with a serene and heavenly countenance, he went asleep in Jesus; of his precious remains we might well say,

Ah lovely appearance of death,
What sight upon earth is so fair.

        Long will my recollection linger upon his death scene. Long will I remember those mingled emotions of sympathy and joy, in contemplating the departure of this watchman from the walls, this rendering up the commission of embassadorship, this going home of God's servant from labor to reward. In my imagination I followed the verging spirit as it was leaving the house of clay when the soul for the last time looked out of those "lack lustre" windows and prepared to take along adieu of its tenement of clay, in cool resignation waiting the driving up of the chariot to convey it to the better land, to "the house not made with hands eternal in the heavens;" for him angels waited and to him doubtless it is said,

Servant of Christ well done,
Rest from my loved employ,
The battle's fought, the victory's won,
Enter thy master's joy.

        Brother Overall was born July 18th, 1803, was convicted of his lost estate at Winrow's campmeeting, 1821, in that great revival under the Rev. Sterling C. Brown (now in heaven) whose giant soul scattered salvation through his indefatigable labors, all over these lands. Young L. D. Overall after traveling to this place on foot, about 20 miles, was then and there literally struck to the ground under conviction and for two whole days and nights neither eat or slept, crying for mercy. From this meeting he went home with a bleeding heart, still enquiring "what must I do to be saved." About two weeks after, with 15 of his unconverted associates, he left home for a Cumberland Presbyterian campmeeting, 8 miles from Murfreesboro, at which place, with 14 of his companions, obtained the pearl of great price.


(Page 63)

        It was not long before our young brother was moved by the Holy Spirit to call sinners to repentance. It was "like fire shut up in his bones," nor could he rest until he broke from the scenes of his boyhood; with the silver trump of the Gospel he mounted the walls of Zion and filled it with the sound of salvation. Oh! How delightful to hear the thrilling bursts of divine inspiration from the heaven commissioned youth, the burning fervor of whose zeal tells that his heart is warm to win souls to Christ, that communicates itself as sacred electricity and is seen in the joyful countenances and brim full eyes of his attentive hearers, whilst ever and anon "the groans of the wounded are heard in the blast," the sure external evidence that he has done the will of God. With those feelings and exercises, young Overall entered upon his ministerial life at the age of 20. He was licensed to preach at the district conference for Nashville District, held in this place, 1823. It is worthy of remark that here he commenced and here he closed his ministerial labors and perhaps was not in Columbia more than half a dozen times in the enterim [sic]; from this he was recommended to the Tennessee annual conference as a suitable person to travel; in the bounds of which he has labored for eleven years as a traveling preacher upon the following circuits and stations, viz. in 1823, Smith's Fork circuit; 1823, Obion; 1825, Hatchy; 1826, Stone's River; 1827, Richland; 1828, Madison; 1829 and 1830, Courtland [Alabama] station; 1831, Florence; 1832, Nashville; 1833, Huntsville; at the close of this year he located at the Pulaski conference and has since traveled and preached extensively in the states of Tennessee, Alabama and Mississippi. Thus for 12 years our beloved brother has been a faithful minister in the Methodist E. Church, whose doctrines and discipline were his delight and to sustain which he made every necessary sacrifice of time, home, friends, health, east and money and with an uncompromising perseverance he urged the onward course. In what relation so ever we view our beloved brother, we find him to have a person of no ordinary character; as a gentleman, he possessed those unassuming, bland and dignified manners which made him the delight of every circle in which he moved; his retiring modesty and humble views of himself, caused him often to remain unnoticed until brought forward by those who were well acquainted with him to occupy the stand to which his virtues and talents entitled him; he was slow in forming his friendships but when formed was unwavering and indissoluble in his attachments; he was distinguished for honesty and sincerity of heart that regulated both his words and actions, his expressions of the sycophant, that congeals upon the lip and disappoints the unwary expectant but the sentiments of a true and undisguised heart.
        As a Christian, sincere and honest at heart, he engaged in his religious history with the purest motives and followed it up with care and constancy; always satisfied in his own mind with his relation to God, he kept the candle burning in his own bosom and seldom made aloud profession of his own experience; his piety was not of that morose cast that would render it repulsive as though religion had a tendency to crush and crucify all those generous passions and noble exercises of the human heart, nor of that enthusiastic character which is always fluctuating with the sunshine or shade of religious excitement or worldly circumstances, but clear, consistent and substantial; not identified with the evanescent scenes of human frailty but the clear sunbeam of heavenly inspiration, that governs, warms, animates and sublimates the inner man of the heart.
        As a Minister of the Gospel, he was clear in his call, sound in the faith, diligent in his duties, obedient to his superiors in office and useful in his ministrations, in establishing the church and winning souls to Christ; possessing a good English education, united with intense study, extensive traveling and close observation, gave him opportunities of information and improvement as a minister which could not be obtained in any other way. His talents were of no ordinary grade; true, we did not discover in him the fickleness of fancy, the scintillation of wit and humor,


(Page 64)

nor the burning sallies of satire but his efforts were the close, thoughtful, calculating deduction of a profound mind; I refer to the many sermons we have heard from his lips; sermons that would have been heard with interest in any pulpit in Europe or America; sermons that would do honor to the head or heart of any man.
        Brother Overall intended to purchase some desirable spot he might call home, there to spend the remainder of his days; heaven, however, saw fit to disappoint his expectations in this anticipated good but gave him an infinitely more valuable possession in the heavenly inheritance and now upon some delightful spot in the heavenly Canaan, he rests from cares and business free, whether upon the glory lit hills or in the flowery plains; whether upon the stream that gladdens the city or under life's fair tree, whether near or more distant from the resplendent throne of the great I am [God], heaven's grand centre or ultimately enjoying the whole, we pretend not to say; but this one thing delights our contemplative minds, that his location is infinitely superior and more desirable than the most favored situation upon the broad surface of this sin defiled world.
        Let me die the death of the righteous and let my last end be like his.

Very affectionately, T. M*****


Page 2:


        This amiable and learned English physician lately left New York where he has lived two years and went to Texas with a view to reside there.
      On arriving at the village of Goliad or La Bahia, on the 29th of June, he found the inhabitants suffering grievously from cholera and their physicians dead. His benevolent feelings were at once enlisted in their behalf and waving all considerations of personal safety he determined to render them assistance by his own personal efforts although he knew it would be at the hazard of his life. For about ten days he continued his practice with great success and was the means of saving many lives. But at length, when the disease had in a great measure subsided, he himself was attacked and for want of medical attendance, sunk under its influence and expired on the 15th July, after an illness of five or six days. His afflicted companion [wife] is now in this country [United States] and he had friends in this city who mourn his departure with the most poignant sorrow. He fell a victim to his own benevolence which knew no bounds when there were objects to call it into exercise.



At Clinton, MI [Mississippi], Mr. JOSEPH K. CANE formerly of this place [Nashville, Tennessee]

Near Satesville [Statesville], Wilson county [Tennessee] on the 10th of Aug. last, after a confinement of about 6 months, with a pulmonary disease, Major JOHN A. NETTLES. He left a wife and three children, together with a large circle of friends to mourn his loss. He for some weeks before his death appeared fully satisfied of his approaching death and expressed a full confidence in his future happiness.

On the 26th August, in Williamson county [Tennessee], Mr. THOS. RAGAN, a soldier of the revolution. He was born in 1755 in the province of New Jersey from whence he emigrated, with his father, at an early age to North Carolina. He served his country faithfully thro' all the years of her stormy conflict against the oppression of the mother country; being actively engaged from the commencement to the end of the bloody struggle. He was at the Battle of Monmouth, of Brandywine, at the Eutaw Springs; at which latter place he was severely wounded. Through all the dark and trying scenes of that period he stood firm for his country and her rights, showing no fear for the result, but looking forward with confidence for the day of her deliverance and final independence. He was a member of the Methodist church and died in full hopes of a glorious resurrection and a blessed immortality in that bright realm where sorrow is unknown and where the unquiet passions of the world are at rest forever. Peace to the valiant dead! —From the Franklin [Tennessee] Review


(Page 65)

September 19, 1834


HAMPTON J. CHENEY, Louisiana, married MARY E., daughter of Captain GEORGE S. SMITH, now of Nashville, Tennessee, September 9, 1834.

RICHARD H. JOHNSON, Lebanon, Tennessee married FRANCES T. WINCHESTER, Sumner County, Tennessee, September 9, 1834.

JOHN FLEMING married MARGARET KNIGHT, Madison County, Tennessee, recently.

THOMAS F. COOK, Montgomery County, Tennessee married LUCY C., daughter of Captain DAVID BARKSDALE, Todd County, Kentucky, September 4, 1834.

EDWARD M. BROWN married NANCY EDWARDS, Giles County, Tennessee, Thursday. [Considering the timing of THE WESTERN METHODIST, this wedding would have occurred September 11, 1834]

Page 3:


July 19. I am sorry to say that my kind friend Mrs. Van Ness is numbered among the dead. Her spirit parted from the body at three this morning. Never was there a more amiable and high minded lady; charitable, sweet tempered, beloved by her family, she sinks into the grave in a land of strangers at the moment she was preparing to return to her own home and that family to whom she was a blessing, and whose absence from her has long been the occasion of her secret grief. Her husband is deeply stricken; she died in his arms, having received the attentions of numerous friends and the assistance of the best physicians. Heaven has received her soul. The many who loved her here will long deplore her loss. Her remains will be buried in the consecrated ground belonging to the British embassy. A notice from Madrid, Spain.



        The subject of this obituary was a student of Lagrange College, Ala.; His residence was in Warren co., Miss. There had been some small difference between Smith and White (his assailant) [Robert W. White], they met in the street on the night of the 4th, an altercation took place and after a few words had passed, White advanced within 3 or 4 feet of Smith and shot him through the left lung, making one at the same time, of solemn imprecations. Mr. Smith expired in about five hours after suffering the most excruciating pain in both body and mind. White was arrested, thrust into prison and will be tried for his life the third Monday after the fourth Monday in September.
        At a meeting of the students of Lagrange College, Ala., in the college chapel, September the 5th, 1834, Wm. Ford was called to the chair and Bird L. Holland was appointed secretary, when the following resolutions were offered by W. J. Hancock and unanimously adopted.
        1st resolved that we deeply deplore the untimely death of our fellow student Sidney M. Smith, whose highly honorable and gentlemanly deportment, amiability of disposition and unusual progress in his studies had justly entitled him to our highest respect and had secured our warmest affection.
        2d resolved that as an evidence of our sincere regard for the deceased, we will walk in procession to his grave and wear crape on the left arm for thirty days.
        3rd resolved, that we great sympathize with the friends and relations of our departed fellow student in the loss of so promising and amiable a young man and that a copy of these resolutions be sent to them and that they also be in the Western Methodist, the Vicksburg Register and the North Alabamian.

        4th resolved that a committee consisting of three, Mr. Mendum, Mr. Tarpley and, Mr. Kindel are appointed to carry into effect the third resolution.
        The editors of the Western Methodist will please give this notice and mark of respect an insertion in their paper and in so doing much oblige the committee whose names are signed,

Sterling Tarpley, Jr.
Wm. C. Kindel
Robert J. Mendum


(Page 66)

Page 3:

Died. In Maury county, Ten., on the 6th instant, Mr. Wm. Hill Goodloe, eldest son of David S. Goodloe. For many years a staunch member of the Methodist church; not suffered longer to bear the toils of this life, his lord and master has seen fit to take him to himself where all is heaven.


September 26, 1834

Page 1:


        Died. In Maury county, Ten., on Saturday, the 6th inst. [September 6, 1834], of billious fever, Mr. Wm. H. Goodloe, consort of Mrs. E. E. Goodloe. He became the subject of converting grace at about the age of 23 years and united himself to the Methodist Episcopal church in which he continued as a shining light until death clipt the silver chord of life. September the eleventh, 1828 he united himself in marriage with Miss Emily E. Williams with whom he lived in peace and happiness and as a pledge of their affection two lovely boys were given them. His prospects were flattering for long life but how uncertain are our days for neither wealth nor virtue are safeguards to man. His disease was very rapid lasting only 8 days. He appeared to be apprised of his approaching dissolution to which he looked forward with a degree of pleasure for death to him was the messenger of glad tidings as it took him from a world of sorrow and disappointment to the regions of everlasting felicity "where the weary are at rest and the wicked cease from troubling." Having followed the dictates of virtue and religion he feared not the king of terrors for he knew in whom he had trusted. He exhorted all who stood around his dying bed to live more devoted to God than they had done and particularly his affectionate and broken hearted wife, saying unto her, he knew she was a soldier and would not weep for him. He was seen to be in great agony for a few minutes and being asked what was the matter, he answered, he was giving his children to the lord and about 9 o'clock in the morning of the sixth inst., his sun of life set in death. Thus lived and thus died our much respected friend and brother. By the death of brother Goodloe, society has lost one of her most useful members; the minister of the cross a friend whose hand was ever ready to supply his returning wants; the wife an affectionate and provident husband; the children a spiritual guide to the heaven of eternal repose and in short all have sustained an irreparable loss. But we would say, sleep on beneath the silent clod of the valley, until the trump of god shall sound along the deep damp vaults of the grave and then thou shalt arise and come forth to life everlasting. How forcibly do the words of Jesus Christ strike me, "therefore be ye also ready for in such an hour as ye think not, the son of man cometh." O that this may be the condition of everyone who reads this notice, that we may "die the death of the righteous, that our last end may be like his."

Let sickness blast, let death devour,
If heaven must recompense our pains,
Perish the grass and fade the flowers
If firm the word of God remains

        The feeling of the broken hearted wife is —

To mourn and to suffer is mine
While bound in a prison I breathe,
And still for deliverance pine,
And press to the issues of death.

What now with my tears, I bedew,
O might I, this moment become;
My spirit created anew,
My flesh be consigned to the tomb.

Yours most affectionately,
G. W. Martin
Mount Pleasant [Maury county, Tennessee], Sept. 8th, 1834.




(Page 67)

Page 1:


        Died. In Columbia, Tenn., on Thursday the 28th of august, Marmaduke N. Nicholson, son of Malaki and Sarah Nicholson, in the 24th year of his age. Brother Nicholson, the subject of this notice, was a good young man of undoubted piety. He obtained the pardoning mercy of God about two years past, joined the Methodist Episcopal Church and remained firm to his purpose until the day of his final exit. His natural disposition was one among the most amiable that belongs to fallen man; an evil word may have escaped his lips at some period of his life for aught I know, but I have never heard of it. A boy of uncommon morality and a man who enjoyed experimental religion, but as he was much retired in his manners, his self abasement, his humiliation, his religious exultation and the ardency of his piety, were known only to a few of his most intimate friends. But relatives far and near; you must wipe the fallen tear, curb the sympathies of the bosom and hear me say, Marmaduke is no more. Our loss however is his infinite gain. Although his mind while under affliction was somewhat deranged and the pangs of death indescribable, among the last words that broke forth from his high born soul was glory! Glory! Glory to God. He undoubtedly rests in the heavenly paradise!

W. B. Carpenter


Page 3:


In this county [Davidson County, Tennessee], on the 18th inst. [September 18, 1834], ABSALOM GLEAVES, Esq., aged 53 years.

In Weakley county, Ten., Rev. THOMAS ROSS [no date given].

In Pulaski, Ten., Mrs. ___ Flournoy, consort of Dr. ALFRED FLOURNOY [no date given]

In Fayetteville, Ark., Capt. ALEX'R. W. SWEENEY, formerly of this state [no date given]

In Franklin, Ky., Mr. JOSEPH FINLEY, formerly of Russelville.

In this city [Nashville, Tennessee], on the 19th instant, JAMES M., son of Mr. Isaac PAUL, aged 13 months.

At his residence near Boston, Alabama, on the 21st of August, Mr. JAMES BLACKMAN, late of this county [Davidson county, Tennessee].

Near Franklin, on the 12th inst., TABITHA, infant daughter of Price GRAY.

At Saratoga Springs, N.Y., JOHN LINTON, Esq., an eminent merchant of New Orleans and president of the Canal Bank of that city [no date given].

Departed this life in Nashville, on Sunday morning, the 21st inst. [September 21, 1834], Mr. WILLIAM KEYS, saddler, a native of the north of Ireland, aged 37 years. Mr. Keys has resided in Nashville for many years and has always sustained the character of an honest and amiable man, a quiet and unpretending citizen and an excellent neighbor. He bore with exemplary patience the long and painful inroads of consumption, and when at last he fell a victim to this prime minister of death, he resigned with cheerfulness his spirit to God who gave it. We can say, as a neighbor who knew him well, that he lived a life of honest industry and died the death of a Christian. —Banner.

Departed this life, on the 12th instant [September 12, 1834], at the residence of the Rev. THOMAS ROSS, eight miles north of Dresden, Weakley county [Tennessee], his consort Mrs. Martha Ross in her sixty-first year. She left behind her a numerous offspring and a disconsolate husband to mourn her loss. In the various relations of wife, mother, mistress and neighbor, she was kind; affable and generous. She died in the faith of enjoying a happy immortality. She was a member of the Baptist church.


Return to Contents