By Jonathan Kennon Thompson Smith
Copyright, Jonathan K. T. Smith, 2002


(Page 12)

July 3, 1908

Reverend I. W. HICKHAM, Miss. Methodist Conference, died Weir, Miss., May 31, 1908.

Reverend A. D. TURRENTINE born Jan. 8, 1831; died May 21, 1908; member of Smyrna Methodist Church near Brentwood, Tennessee.


(Page 13)

SUSAN E. WHITESIDE married William S. Whiteside (died 1882), July 2, 1843; among her children J. W., O. C., Russ, Charlie, Mrs. E. Dickerson; died near Castalian Springs, Tenn., Mar. 28, 1908.

Large photograph of Dr. WILLIAM JAMES DAWSON, page one; an English clergyman who was guest preacher in Nashville in June 1908.


From June 12, 1908 issue

Page 12:

Miss Susan Lipscomb Wilson, wife of Bishop A. W. Wilson, after months of painful decline, on June 4, and at her home in Baltimore, entered into rest. The progress of an incurable disease brought to her toward the last excruciating suffering. This she faced calmly and steadily, desiring to depart, yet willing to linger, thinking not of herself, but of her husband and daughters, of whom she had so long been the mainstay. Only a few months ago she returned from a protracted visit to the Orient made in company with Bishop Wilson. His long and arduous labors in that distant field, so urgently needed in this time of transition and uneasiness, would have been impossible without the added strength of her companionship. Almost immediately upon her return last winter she was forced to submit herself to the surgeon's knife. Heroic treatment checked but did not stay the disease which had fastened upon her. Reasserting itself a little later, it wrought grimly on to the end. Bishop Wilson's visit to the recent sessions of the Boards of Missions was made under pressure which rendered his composure and his interest in their work little short of marvelous. Letters were reaching him daily bringing word of the daily increasing agony of his companion of more than halt a century. At last he hurried to her side and remained there to the end. Mrs. Wilson is survived by her husband and three daughters. Others will write in due time of her labors for the Church. "Her children rise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her."


July 10, 1908

LAURA ELLEN SHELLEY daughter of Ransom and Mary V. Guthrie born Clinton Co., Ky. May 17, 1869; died Gunter, Texas, May 19, 1908; married C. L. Shelley, August 21, 1895; 4 children, Mary, Lillian, Susie, Pauline; moved to Texas six years ago.

LUCY ANN HOOD wife of Napoleon Hood born April 25, 1834; died in residence of her son, James A. Good, July 23, 1907; had 2 children; died on the eve [evening?] of July 23, 1908.

BEARD M'DONNALD HUNTER son of Rev. I. A. and Theodosia Hunter, Centerville, Tenn., born Nov. 29, 1883; died Feb. 23, 1908.


July 17, 1908

"Blind Tom", aka THOMAS BETHUNE, THOMAS WIGGINS, a blind black man, born a slave, near Columbus, Ga., 1850; died Hoboken, New Jersey, July 13, 1908. He had "preternatural faculties," with the ability to imitate sounds he heard very clearly.

IGNATIUS ELGIN SHUMATE born "Greenhill," Loudoun Co., Va., Dec. 5, 1834; died Dalton, Ga., Sept. 9, 1907; he had a line of recorded descent dating from 1754; his grandfathers, Louis Shumate and Augustus Elgin, were old-time residents of Loudoun and Fauquier counties, Va. The Shumates were of Irish extraction, the Elgins of Scots derivation. His father, Murphy Chadwell Shumate, born Dec. 7, 1799; died Feb. 12, 1883, who married thrice, (1) Miss Hutchison, 1 dau.; (2) Margaret Elgin (Feb. 22, 1800-Feb. 28, 1837), Oct. 27, 1831; two children, Amanda (died 1853) and Ignatius; (3) Diadana Elgin; 4 children, of whom Louis Murphy Shumate, only survived his brother. Ignatius was an 1858 graduate of Emory-Henry College; teacher; married (1) Elizabeth Gertrude Bitting, June 15, 1858; 7 children; (2) Jennie Samuels; (3) Sue Smith, leaving children, John H., merchant, Charlotte, Frank E, a Dalton lawyer, Mrs. R. D. Bridges, Leesburg; Mrs. R. E. Parker, Atlanta; Mrs. E. C. Coffee, Dalton; Miss Lou Shumate, Dalton. He had served in the quartermaster department of the CSA.


July 24, 1908

Reverend H. B. COX, a Little Rock Methodist Conference preacher, died Osceola, Ark., July 12, 1908.

MARY A. DUNCAN, widow of Rev. T. J. Duncan, Northwest Texas Methodist Conference, born Stewart Co., Tenn., Mar. 6, 1836; died Texas, June 9, 1908; married July 19, 1859. A son, Rev. Jerome Duncan.


(Page 14)

GUY RUFFIN SHELTON son of W. T. Shelton, Fayette Co., Tenn., born Feb. 9, 1884; died May 10, 1908; grandson of James Ruffin Wiggins; married the daughter of W. M. Midyett; 2. children. Burial near the grave of his great-grandfather, Colonel Robert Tucker, a veteran of the War of 1812.


July 31, 1908

DELILAH G. GOWER born Davidson Co., Tenn., April 4, 1831; married W. M. Woodward, 1851; died Erin., Tenn., July 6, 1908 in the residence of her son, Rev. J. E. Woodward.

CLARA OGILVIE daughter of William and Satyrah [as spelled in obituary] Moore, Paducah, Ky., Oct. 7, 1872; married A. H. Ogilvie, June 29, 1905; died April 19, 1908; one son who was in the second year of his age.

GEORGE H. ROGERS born near Mack, Tenn., Aug. 24, 1857; died city hospital, Memphis, Tenn., July 18, 1908; married Mary McIntyre, Feb. 23, 1879.

MARY ELLA ELKIN, nee Mathews, born Monroe Co., Miss., Sept. 1, 1854; died Aberdeen, Miss., May 12, 1908; married Dr. Thomas B. Elkin, June 17, 1880; two daughters, one deceased, the other being Mrs. Houston Woods, Aberdeen, Miss.


August 7, 1908

Reverend R. H. HOBBS, retired Methodist preacher, Kentucky Methodist Conference, died Mackville, Ky., July 26, 1908.

Mrs. SAM P. JONES had invited the descendants of Rev. SAMUEL G. JONES, her husband's grandfather, to attend the family reunion on August 16, the anniversary of his birth, at Felton's Chapel near Cartersville, Georgia.


August 14, 1908

Pages 19-20:



         It was before the days of the public school system, and ours was a private neighborhood school where everybody was expected to pay tuition. It was a well-to-do neighborhood, and all the children went to school. The attendance was generally large, sometimes reaching perhaps a total of seventy-five. Everything was taught in the school, from A B C to the Latin and Greek required for college, and all the subjects by the single teacher, the daily school period covering four hours in the forenoon and three to four in the afternoon. Perhaps 1860 was the banner year in the history of the school; for we had that year a graduate of the South Carolina College, about twenty-four years old, tall (six feet, two), handsome-a genial, sympathetic, magnetic, born teacher, like "Auld Domsie." He was a good scholar (I think he had been second honor man), loved boys and girls, and was the pride and honor of the school and of the neighborhood. A chance visitor would have guessed his popularity in midsummer from the long row on his desk of mellow apples and luscious peaches daily presented to him by his girls and boys.
            The "three R's" formed naturally the great bulk of the work of the school, and the pupils' chief attention, was given to spelling, penmanship, ciphering, geography and parsing. Doubtless the most successful form of mental discipline in that school was spelling. It was perhaps a tradition, handed down from teacher to teacher, to close the day with a spelling match of the whole school. The book spelled from was the Abridged Webster's Dictionary, the lesson at least a page, and the line of spellers extended along the whole side of the schoolroom and doubled back at the end. The great honor was to stand "head," and this post was held until the occupant missed a word and was turned down. Our best speller was a girl named Mary, called "Puss" for short. She had never distinguished herself in any way until her ambition to stand at the head of the spelling class took possession of her. She studied the dictionary all day at school, perhaps dreamed it at home at night. At any rate, her position was usually "head" and in her hands it was almost impregnable. I remember standing once for three whole weeks second, eager and alert, hoping and praying that "Puss" would miss; but she did not. Now, a great change took place in "Puss" as she grew toward womanhood. She had been a small, sallow, sandy-haired, unattractive girl; but after her most successful season in the dictionary spelling class, she suddenly blossomed out into a handsome, winsome maiden. Later she wore a stylish beaver, dressed fashionably (so my mother and sister said), and had her brother drive her to the village church when there was no service at the "chapel." In due time she made the best match of the neighborhood. I suppose it was only nature at work on "Puss," but somehow I have always believed it was the spelling class that started "Puss" toward the top in beauty as well as in matrimonial success. We hear a good deal these days about the advantages our children have in present school methods over the old, even in spelling. My boy certainly has an easier time spelling than I ever had. The process of learning to spell the English language has been simplified so that ten or twenty written words at a lesson, perhaps a day, are supposed to suffice for him. All very good only he does not learn to spell. And when I was called on to speak on the subject at a meeting of the State Teachers' Association, I promptly angered everybody by saying that the process in the Madison public schools was a premium on dawdling; that I knew it from a boy who had been studying for ten years at the rate of ten written words a lesson, and my


(Page 15)

estimate was that if he spelled all his life up to three-score and ten, then went to heaven, it would take him at that rate at least a thousand years in the land of the blessed to get a mastery of English spelling,
          Since I began to write more than forty years have slipped away from me, and I see once more the dear old schoolhouse within a stone's throw of the Methodist church (Andrew Chapel), the neighborhood gravestones visible from its front windows. It was a frame building, weatherboarded and unceiled, about forty feet by fifteen. There was a chimney at each end of the single room, and a great writing desk clear across the center which made practically two compartments, the north side for the girls, the south for the boys. At recitation there was no distinction of sex. On Asbury Townsend in 1859, whom all the pupils feared, and Alpheus Watson in 1860, whom all loved, probably no tricks were played. The former believed in Solomon's precept, "Spare the rod and spoil the child," and I doubt it any boy could have boasted that Mr. Townsend had never whipped him. My oldest brother, I remember, went to the war in 1861 with the avowed intention if he should ever be engaged in the same battle with him to shoot his old teacher in return for all the floggings he had got. But, of course, that was only a boy's talk. He was an excellent teacher who believed whipping good for us physically and morally, and we respected while we feared him. But Reverend Henry Bass (1863), who was somewhat eccentric as well as very near-sighted, was so good a mark that it would not have been boy and girl human nature not to take advantage of him. It was great fun to see his face sometimes when he went to the front door in the morning with the big hand bell and produced as he swung it not clear bronze notes, but only dull thuds from the paper-wrapped clapper. Sometimes, too, as he took his chair he would leap up abruptly and find a pin stuck up through the split bottom. The best fun of the girls was to engage in the forbidden cracking of nuts on the hearth just to see Mr. Bass rush at the stone left behind by the culprit. Sometimes the real stone was gone and a hot one left in its place, which he grabbed up and dropped precipitately. Of course everybody tittered, but no girl ever acknowledged her fault. Still better fun for the school was a trick often played upon him at evening prayers. He stood at the end of the long writing desk, but while he was reading the lesson from the Bible not seldom a mischievous boy or girl would pull up the tail of his long coat and fill his pocket with peach stones. Ah, if grown people could only continue to find fun in such simple tricks as school children enjoy, how full of laughter life would be! But the greatest fun that ever happened was when some luckless man rode by the schoolhouse and called out: "School butter." Instantly every boy, without waiting for leave, leaped out of the door and gave chase. If the offender was caught, he was sure to pay dearly for his folly by a mud-balling, a beating, or a ducking.
          But could I go back now to the old schoolhouse, I should seek first the names of the big boys of 1860 rudely cut or scrawled on the walls, each name generally bracketed with that of his sweetheart. I have often thought it a pity that old schoolhouse was not built of stone; for our big boys all volunteered early in the war, and of several of them the rude scrawl on the schoolhouse wall is the only epitaph in the world; for example, of Lewis Carter, who died at the front in Arkansas; of Vint Carter who died In Virginia; of Jeff McCants, who was shot through the neck in one of the early battles; of Bob Rampy, who died; and of Moon Jones and Hart Rothrock and Tom Franklin, who were killed. Bob Smith and Wister Watson and our beloved teacher, Alpheus Watson, came home from the war to die of typhoid fever, and a marble slab commemorates each; but the bones of the rest fill somewhere nameless trenches. How well I remember Tom Franklin's return on furlough, wounded in the big toe, in 1863, and the triumphant rounds he made in the neighborhood, accompanied by Mr. Carter, the best friend of all the young fellows. His whole stay was an ovation, and not without its pathos; for he returned to the front and was killed at the battle of the Wilderness. That name brings up, too, the image of another soldier, young Moore, from Texas, a kinsman of my mother's, who had been shot in the thigh at the Wilderness, and when he got out of the field hospital came to us in South Carolina to recruit. He used to tell, I remember, how General Lee tried to lead his brigade (Gregg's) to the charge at the Wilderness, and how at the sight men shed tears "who had not wept since their mothers whipped them last." We children went round with him, as Mr. Carter had gone with Tom Franklin, and it seemed as good as the "Odyssey" to hear his war stories. But when he was quite well he returned to the war, and sometime afterwards we learned that a more fatal bullet had found him.
          None of our young heroes was conscripted. They were all in the army before the first conscript act was passed. My oldest brother was seventeen and expecting to enter college in October, 1861; and my mother never let him attend a "muster" in the summer except in the company of our neighbor, Mr. Carter, who was to keep him from volunteering. He got off to college; but early in November, when his eighteenth birthday came, he volunteered with most of the rest of the Wofford students. As the younger fellows gradually attained military age, they, too, went; and when the last call came, in 1864 (from sixteen to sixty), it seemed to verify Gen. B. F. Butler's characterization of it "robbing both the cradle and the grave." It looked pitiable in the case of some boys who were small for sixteen, as was the case with my brother Frank; but none of them shirked. This call broke up even the village school; for Principal Watson went out with his larger boys, and the little ones had holiday till the war ended.
          Passing some months ago through Chicago, where there are over two million people, just after I had been reading of General Lee holding all the winter of 1864-65 a line over thirty miles long with only thirty-five thousand men, I began to wonder if it was possible that the fighting force of a dozen States was so reduced. Then I thought of our own neighborhood the only district in the world with which I was thoroughly acquainted-- and I could recall in a radius of three miles only one young fellow who shirked. He was small of stature, and did not grow any older for three years; but at last even he got in, I think. There were two cases in the outlying region where an old hurt to a limb brought a healthy-looking man again to his crutches, and where an arm became paralyzed; but outside of these three cases in the range of my knowledge, even gossip found no room for charges; the fighting men were all at the front.
          I mentioned above that my brother's college, Wofford, was almost depopulated in 1861, and the following comparison of the University of Virginia and Harvard illustrates, my point: In 1861 Harvard had 896 students; the University of Virginia, 604. From Harvard 73 students joined the first army of invasion; from the University of Virginia one-half volunteered at that time. Harvard had a total of 1,040 in the armies and navies


(Page 16)

of the United States; the University of Virginia, over 2,000 in the Confederate service. Of Harvard's 1,040, only 155 lost their lives; of the University of Virginia students, over 400. Probably General Grant was right when he said: "The South was a military camp, and there were very few people of a suitable age to be in the army who were not in it."


Photograph of Dr. JESSE BOWMAN YOUNG one-time editor of the CENTRAL CHRISTIAN ADVOCATE, page 28.

LIZZIE LUCAS DILLARD wife of Colonel Henry M. Dillard, daughter of William M. Lucas, Russell's Valley, Alabama and Catharine Bowling James Lucas, Aberdeen, Miss.; born Hinds Co., Miss., May 15, 1839; attended Mrs. Mason's select school, Lynchburg, Va. and Syndocal College, Greensboro, N.C.; married in 1859.

THOMAS L. DUNCAN son of Rev. S. H. and Elizabeth Duncan born Coffee Co., Tenn., Nov. 23, 1840; licensed to preach in Methodist Church, May 28, 1859; ordained deacon, Oct. 8, 1861; ordained elder, May l2, 1877; located in 1862 or '63; local Methodist preacher; died Dec. 12, 1907.


August 2l, 1908

Dr. JOHN T. IRION, Paris, Tenn., died August 9, 1908 aged 71 years; editing the Paris POST- INTELLIGENCER.


August 28, 1908

PATTI YATES PERRY born Madison Co., Ky., Nov. 19, 1865; married Edwin H. Peery, Dec. 26, 1900; moved to Washington, D.C.; died Richmond, Ky., May 12, 1908.

ELISABETH F. THOMAS daughter of Rev. Felix R. and Ann McGaugh born Marshall Co., Tenn., Feb. 28, 1838; married (1) D. B. Beasley (died Confederate army, 1862); 2 daus, 2 daus. 1 son, Rev. John F. Beasley; (2) E. L. Thomas (died 1904), 1884; died Lincoln Co., Tenn., June 4, 1908. Burial in Horton Cemetery.

KATHARINE HITCHCOCK daughter of Dr. M. S. Hitchcock and wife, Brookwood, Ala., died Mar. 30, 1908 aged 18 months.


September 4, 1908

General A. P. STEWART, a Confederate lieutenant-general, died Biloxi, Miss., August 30, 1908 aged 87 years; burial St. Louis, MO; native of Tenn.; he was a West Point graduate; a successful teacher.

Reverend P. E. NICHOLSON born S.C., Oct. 15, 1820; moved with family to Escambia Co., Fla. in 1830; shingle-maker until 1847; married April 7, 1842 [wife's name not provided]; cattle rancher; moved to Texas; a local Methodist preacher; still living in 1908; whose exploits are elaborated upon by Mary E. Bryan, pages 30-31 of this issue.


September 11, 1908

No obituaries appeared in this issue.


September 18, 1908

Mrs. LAURA A. THRIFT, mother of Rev. Charles T. Thrift, graduate of Vanderbilt University and member of the Virginia Methodist Conference; she died Wicomico Church, Va., Sept. 9, 1908.

Photograph of elderly ANNE HASSELL HUDSON and sketch of her life, page 26; daughter of Joel and Polly Hassell; born Williamson Co., Tenn., June 22, 1808; married (1) Haywood Partee, 1832; two children, one still living, Mrs. W. H. Grigsby, Nashville; (2) Colonel C. C. Hudson (died 1860) she joined Leatherwood Methodist Chapel, Hickman Co., Tenn. about 1838 and "is perhaps the oldest Methodist in the state." Had 8 grandchildren, 11 great-grandchildren, 7 great-great grandchildren; could read until 1904. Centerville, Tennessee. [A descendant of Anne Hudson would do well to order a full photocopy of this interesting sketch.]


(Page 17)

IDA BINKLEY daughter of Dr. D. C. and Florence Binkley, born Hustburg, Tenn., April 25, 1891; died July 16, 1908.

LUCY JANE "Aunt Lucy" POWELL born June 16, 1832; married (1) David Dinwiddie, May 4, 1847; (2) Monroe Hall, Feb. 26, 1868; died in residence of her son, James L. Dinwiddie, Alexandria, Tenn., August 11, 1908.

WILLIAM JEFFERSON WATSON born April 29, 1839; died Jackson, Tenn., July 20, 1908; married Martha Smith, 1861; 2 children, Mrs. W. J. Johnson and Neal; lived in Civil District. 11 of Madison Co., Tenn. until recently.


September 25, 1908

FREDERICK J. BROWNELL born Fulton Co., N. Y., April 15, 1835; Scots-Irish ancestry; moved with parents to Ohio; served in the 51st Indiana Infantry, federal army; captured at Gadsden, Ala. May 3, 1863 and held prisoner for 23 months, a year of it in Libby Prison, Richmond; moved to Hopkinsville, Ky. in 1868; plan-mill business; married Sallie Bottomley, youngest daughter of Rev. Thomas Bottomley, 1876; he died May 27, 1908.

HARLAN WESLEY MESCHER son of Charles and Mary A. Mescher born August 5, 1908; died August 15, 1908, Johnson Co., Illinois.

MARY A. S. MARTIN daughter of Archibald and Phoebe Ann Collier Martin born near Clarksville, Tenn., Dec. 9, 1837; moved with parents to Lyon Co., Ky. where she died May 13, 1908; married Rev. William T. Reid, Louisville Conference, April 27, 1865. Children: Ada, wife of Rev. John H. Cummins; Ida Lee, wife of Dr. George W. Stone, Marion, Ky.; Anna Laurie, wife of David F. Brightwell, Lyon Co., Ky.; Lillian Elvin, wife of James R. Baldwin, Cairo, Ill.; Lucy Scobel, wife of Frank O. Webber; Leland Edwin, only son, who died in the 24th year of his age.

FANNIE W. LANE born Gibson Co., Tenn., Oct. 3, 1836; married Cannon H. Lane, Oct. 4, 1854; 9 children. "She was virtually an old woman but nobody thought of her as such." [death date not provided]


October 2, 1908

ELIZA YARBROUGH wife of J. S. Yarbrough died near Lewisburg, Tenn., Sept. 21, 1908.

Reverend J. E. HARRISON born Davidson Co., Tenn., Sept. 1, 1838; married Amanda Register, Sept. 1, 1856; died near Bon Aqua, Tenn., Aug. 15, 1908; husband and father.

ELLEN C. DENTON, nee Cook, born Jan. 1839; married Jan. 27, 1857; died August 15, 1908.

MARTHA D. JONES born Newbern, N.C., May 18, 1830; died July 29, 1908; married Lovick Jones, June 1846; moved with him near to Dancyville, Tenn. where, he died in 1890; 15 children. Died in residence of Mrs. Mollie Caldwell [place not provided].


October 9, 1908

THOMAS F. MORRIS died Elizabethtown, Ky., Sept. 24, 1908 in the 72nd year of his age; native of S.C.; Confederate veteran; father of Rev. Thomas H. Morris, presiding elder, Tyler District Texas Methodist Conference.

Reverend F. M. HILL and wife, Margaret, nee Bellwood, married Sept. 26, 1908, were both drowned at Chaplin, Ky., Sept. 29, 1908 in a sinkhole of Chaplin Creek, two miles south of town. He had been married previously and left two sons, the oldest 14 years old. He was 38 years old; a son of John L. Hill.


October 16, 1908

Reverend JOHN C. KEATHLEY, Tennessee Methodist Conference, born April l3, 1874; died Wartrace, Tenn., Oct. 5, 1908.


(Page 18)

Reverend BUCKNER HARRIS, charter member of West Texas Methodist Conference, died San Antonio Texas, Oct. 7, 1908 aged 71 years [See, under Oct. 23, 1908, for obituary abstract.]

QUINCY DAVIDSON son of George W. Davidson and Mary Randle Davidson, born Montgomery Co., N.C., Sept. 12, 1812; died Victoria Co., Texas, August 21, 1908; 4th child in a family of 10 children, all deceased now except a sister, Mrs. A. G. Carl; moved with parents to west Tenn. in 1827; in early 1830s moved to Miss., but moved to Victoria County in January 1846; married Cordelia King (died 1867), 1856; 6 children, all but the youngest of whom were living; a son died in March 1905.

ROBERT B. McLEAN died recently; a young man.

ROBERT WALLACE CARLTON son of Rev. Emmitt and Lula Carlton born Ft. Davis, Texas, April 29, 1907; died Sept. 5, 1908.

WILLIAM A. GILLESPIE born Mercer Co., Pa., Dec. 25, 1832; died Greenwood, Miss., Aug. 18, 1908; moved to Miss. when 19 years old; married Emma Hudson, 1855; 4 children survived him, one a daughter; Confederate veteran.

JENNIE H. WATKINS, nee Holder, born Bethpage, Tenn., June 24, 1863; died Sept. 14, 1908; married Thomas G. Watkins (died 1906), Louisville, Oct. 29, 1885; one son, a recent graduate of Center Colelge, Danville, Ky. [his name not provided].


October 23, 1908

Reverend BUCKNER HARRIS born Copiah Co., Miss., Nov. 10, 1837; died San Antonio, Texas, Oct. 7, 1908; moved with parents to De Witt Co., Texas in 1846 but moved later to Gonzoles, Texas; admitted as Methodist preacher to the Texas Conference Dec. 9, 1856; labored fifty-two years as an itinerant preacher; married (1) Georgia Gillespie; children, James S., John C., Deila (died young), Annie (dec.), wife of James E. Martin. He married (2) Mrs. Mary C. Sutton (died Oct. 16, 1906), 1892; children, Mrs. John M. Moore, Dr. Arthur B.; Frank C.

CAROLINE C. CONNOR born Barnwell, S.C., Mar. 20, 1822; died Waco, Texas, Aug. 17, 1908; married Rev W. G. Connor.

LENORAH ELMIRA HOOD daughter of Rev. Richard Watson and Mary Alice Hood, born Pinson, Tenn., Mar. 7, 1892; died Memphis, Tenn., November 30, 1907.


October 30, 1908

ANNIE LEE CLEMENT, nee Cotton, wife of A. E. Clement, Tennessee Methodist Conference, died Columbia, Tennessee, Oct. 21, 1908.

Photograph, page one, of Drs. FRANK RICHARDSON, DAVID SULLINS, RICHARD N. PRICE, each standing; contributors to the NASHVILLE CHRISTIAN ADVOCATE, fifty-year alumnus of Emory-Henry College

Reverend ROBERT GILDEROY PORTER son of William B. and Esther S. Porter born Sumter Co., Ala., Feb. 15, 1839; at age of 2 years moved with parents to Pontotoc Co., Miss. where he was reared; licensed to preach in Methodist Church, Aug. 15, 1858; ordained elder, 1863; chaplain 10th Miss. Inf. Reg., CSA; married Helen J. Walton, Sept. 25, 1860. Children, Clifton B., Helen Dee, wife of T. W. Woodward, Bess Allen, William Barton, Mary Gordon, wife of C. M. Porter, Alice Mary, wife of F. P. Hawkins, Robert Gilderoy, Jr., Marvin, Barnett Bledsoe and Kendall Marvin had died Aug. 6, 1907. Rev. Porter died in Memphis, Oct. 6, 1908. Starkville, Miss.


November 6, 1908

Photographs of "Oklahoma Parsonage Babies," identified by numbered likenesses: l. Charles Francis French; 2. Richard Henry Roper; 3. John Henry Spain; 4. Margaret Roberta Dunkle; 5. Embree La Verne Cox; 6. Howard Burney Ray; 7. Robert S. Satterfield; 8. Dixie Lee Gregg.

[The first session of the Oklahoma Methodist Conference, formerly Indian Territory, was held October 23-28, 1844.]

Professor CHARLES ELIOT NORTON, Harvard University, died Oct. 11, 1908 aged 81 years.


(Page 19)

JAMES BENNETT died Richmond, Ky., Oct. 30, 1908 in the 70th year of his age; surviving were his widow and five children.

Reverend A. M. CHREITZBERG, DD, died Columbia, S.C., Oct. 21, 1908 in the 88th year of his age active Methodist preacher, 1839-1892.

Photograph of Reverend WILLIS F. FOLSOM, page 24.


November 13, 1908

ANNIE MAY LOWRY, nee Rose, born Graves Co., Ky., Feb. 1, 1873; married Rev. T. G. Lowry, Dec. 26, 1890; died Tiptonville, Tenn., Oct. 5, 1908.

CARRIE CRAIG BATES daughter of Rev. R. J. Craig born Mar. 11, 1885; died Aug. 9, 1908; married Clagett Bates, Dec. 7, 1904; one son, 2 years old.

KATIE MORRISON daughter of C. W. and Helen Morrison, Paducah, Ky., born Jan. 19, 1885; died Oct 5, 1908.

HENRY CARSON McCRARY son of Jessie and Carson McGrary born near Collierville, Tenn., Mar. 20, 1901; died Bath, S.C., Sept. 16, 1908.

Former U. S. Senator, EDWARD WARD CARMACK was assassinated in Nashville, Nov. 9, 1908; born Sumner Co., Tenn., Nov. 5, 1858; lawyer; sometime member of the Tennessee legislature; newspaper editor; served two terms in U. S. House of Representatives; one term in U. S. Senate; as editor of the NASHVILLE TENNESSEAN he was an ardent prohibitionist and as such made powerful enemies; his photograph, page one.

From BIOGRAPHICAL DIRECTORY OF THE AMERICAN CONGRESS, 1774-1971, Washington, D.C., 1971, pages 706-707:

CARMACK, Edward Ward, a Representative and a Senator from Tennessee; born near Castalian Springs, Sumner County, Tenn., November 5, 1858; attended Webb's School, Culleoka, Tenn.; studied law; was admitted to the bar in 1879 and practiced in Columbia, Tenn.; city attorney of Columbia in 1881; elected to the State house of representatives in 1884; joined the staff of the Nashville Democrat in 1888; editor in chief of the Nashville American when the papers were merged; editor of the Memphis Commercial in 1892; delegate to the Democratic National Conventions in 1896, 1900, and 1904; elected as a Democrat to the Fifty-fifth and Fifty-sixth Congresses (March 4, 1897-March 3, 1901); elected to the United States Senate and served from March 4, 1901, to March 3, 1907; unsuccessful candidate in 1906 for reelection; resumed the practice of law; unsuccessful candidate for nomination as Governor in 1908; died in a gun fight in Nashville, Tenn., November 9, 1908; interment in Rose Hill Cemetery, Columbia, Tenn.; an act of the State legislature of 1909 provided that a statue be erected to his memory on the capitol grounds in Nashville.


November 20, 1908

FRED KOZER "a sturdy son of Germany" died Crittenden Co., Ark., Oct. 20, 1908 aged 74 years.

ELIZABETH MARY MORRISON born Jefferstown, Ky., May 15, 1822; died Mayfield, Ky., Oct. 19, 1908; daughter of Simeon N. Kalfus, a son of Henry Frederick Kalfus, an early settler in Ky.; married John Welbourne Morrison, Dec. 1842; a merchant, LaGrange, Ky.; moved to Memphis, Tenn. in 1859; two daus., Mrs. Delia Patterson and Mrs. Charles Ellis Tucker.

Mrs. E. K. TOWNSEND died September 8, 1908 in Collierville, Tennessee.


November 27, 1908

Reverend JAMES M. PATTON born Perry Co., Alabama, May 29, 1829; died Gastonburg, Ala., May 13, 1908; married (1) Minerva E. Falconer, Feb. 14, 1855; (2) Mary Falconer, Dec. 31, 1867; both in Eutaw, Alabama; only children living were Emma; Mrs. T. L. Smith; Dr. E. W.; Mattie Lee and Annie B.; he was a graduate of LaGrange College, Ala., 1853; labored in the Alabama Conference from 1852 to final retirement in 1906.


December 4, 1908

Dr. O. H. P. CORPREW, emeritus professor of Greek and Latin, Central College, Fayette, MO, died Norfolk, Va., Oct. 12, 1908; son of Dr. Malachi and Mary B. Corprew; born Norfolk, 1828; graduate, Randolph-Macon College.


(Page 20)

December 11, 1908

No obituaries appeared in this issue.


December 18, 1908

SARAH ANN SCALES, nee Flowers, born Tenn., 1844; moved with parents to Camden, Ark.; married William Henry Scales, 1861; moved to MO; reared 2 daus., 2 sons.

LOU E. CLINARD MARTIN oldest child of Simeon and Julia Clinard and wife of D. I. Martin, born Oct. 19, 1855; married Dec. 23, 1875; died Aug. 28, 1908; 2 daus., 1 son (aged 20 years).

WILLIAM FRANKLIN VANDIVER, originator of Superannuate Endowment Fund (retired preachers) died Montgomery, Ala., Dec. 9, 1908 aged 58 years; wholesale grocer; V. P. and Alabama Bank and Trust Co.; accompanied by his photograph, page 32.


December 25, 1908

DONALD GRANT MITCHELL, writer, 1841 graduate of Yale University, died near New Haven, Conn., Dec. 15, 1908 aged 86 years.

Reverend J. L. SULLENS, Southwest MO Methodist Conference, was accidentally killed while hunting, Dec. 16, 1908; pastor, Springfield, MO Methodist Church.

PRESTON B. CUNNINGHAM died near Gallatin, Tenn., in residence of his father, S. H. Cunningham, Nov. 11, 1908 in the 29th year of his age; married Eula Chambliss.

Mrs. ANDREW SWANZY died Princeton, Ill., Oct. 23, 1908 aged 70 years (born DeKalb, MO, 1838); daughter of O. A. Walker; married in 1862; moved to N. Y. City in 1865 where she lived until she went to Europe in 1872, spent four years in Florence, Italy after which she returned to New York.

Mrs. L. F. JACKSON born Mar. 22, 1845; died Enid, Miss., Oct. 28, 1908; daughter of Mrs. Elizabeth Thompson. Her first husband, Mr. Moore, died young; second marriage was to C. C. Jackson, May 18, 1882.


Return to Contents