1. THOMAS1 BELL was born Abt. 1802 in NC. He married LITARZA ?. She was born Abt. 1809 in NC. THOMAS BELL lived in Claiborne Co, listed as "M" on 1850 census. Children lived in Hancock Co, sometimes listed as "M" , others a "W". It's possible that this branch of Bells came from the Bells who became part of the Lumbee Indian tribe in North Carolina.
Children of THOMAS BELL and LITARZA ? are:
2. i. BENNET (2) BELL, b. Abt. 1831, NC?.
3. ii. SIMEON BELL, b. Abt. 1833.
iii. JOHN BELL, b. Abt. 1836.
iv. HARRIS BELL, b. Abt. 1838; m. CATHERINE ?.
v. CLEMENTINE BELL, b. Abt. 1841.
vi. POLLY ANN BELL, b. Abt. 1842.
vii. LITARZA BELL, b. Abt. 1846.
viii. MITARZA BELL, b. Abt. 1846.
ix. LUCY BELL, b. Abt. 1852.
2. BENNET2 BELL [THOMAS (1)] was born Abt. 1831 in NC?. He married THURSIE INISE. She was born Abt. 1833 in TN?.
Children of BENNET BELL and THURSIE INISE are:
i. JOSHUA3 BELL, b. Abt. 1854.
ii. HILTON BELL, b. Abt. 1856, Hancock Co, TN; d. 1925, Hancock Co, TN. Hilton and Milton Bell were twins. Both were enumerated as "black" in the 1880 census.
iii. MILTON BELL, b. Abt. 1856.
iv. POLLY BELL, b. Abt. 1864.
v. MANERVA BELL, b. Abt. 1866.
vi. LOUISA BELL, b. Abt. 1870.
3. SIMEON2 BELL [THOMAS (1)] was born Abt. 1833. He married CAROLINE MISER August 09, 1853 in Claiborne Co., TN, daughter of THOMAS MISER and EURA GIBSON. She was born February 18, 1840 in Hancock Co, TN. According to Kelly Edwards, Simeon died at a hospital in Nashville, TN during the Civil War, of smallpox.
CAROLINE MISER: It appears Caroline was born before Eura married Thomas Miser. Thomas would have only been about 14 yrs old at the time of Caroline's birth, and she was born before Eura and Thomas were married. Simeon and Caroline were married at Littleton Miser's house. Apparently, he was related to Caroline's stepfather, Thomas Gibson. Caroline was only 13.
Children of SIMEON BELL and CAROLINE MISER are:
4. i. BURDINE3 BELL, b. June 07, 1854, TN.
ii. JOHN T BELL, b. Abt. 1855. May have died young.
5. iii. WILLIAM BELL, b. May 14, 1856.
6. iv. GEORGE ANDERSON BELL, b. June 14, 1858.
v. MARY ELIZABETH BELL, b. June 08, 1859.
vi. JOHN HENRY BELL, b. September 11, 1860; m. LOUISIANNA COLLINS, August 18, 1883, Hancock Co, TN. I'm not sure if and why there were 2 John's in this family.
LOUISIANNA COLLINS: I'm not sure if this is the same person who married Branham Collins.
4. BURDINE3 BELL [SIMEON (2), THOMAS (1)] was born June 07, 1854 in TN. He married ELIZABETH O'DELL Bef. 1875. She was born Abt. 1853 in TN.
Children of BURDINE BELL and ELIZABETH O'DELL are:
7. i. MARY4 BELL, b. Bef. 1875.
ii. MARTHA BELL, b. Abt. 1877.
8. iii. HANAH BELL, b. Abt. 1879.
iv. LAURA BELL, b. Aft. 1880; m. MELBURN COLLINS, Aft. 1902; b. Abt. 1875; d. Bet. 1911 - 1915, Hancock Co, TN. According to info from Glenda Jeffers, a descendant of Melburn's, Laura moved to Smeinole, OK after Mel died to be near relatives. She was a cousin of Mintie Long's.
5. WILLIAM3 BELL [SIMEON (2), THOMAS (1)] was born May 14, 1856. He married VICTORIA COLLINS November 25, 1880 in Hancock Co, TN, daughter of STEVE COLLINS and SARAH DAVIDSON. She was born Abt. 1857.
Child of WILLIAM BELL and VICTORIA COLLINS is:
i. LIZZIE4 BELL, b. Abt. 1875; m. ERVIN COLLINS, December 16, 1901, Lee Co., VA; b. Abt. 1856. Ervin Collins did not have children with Jeanie Collins, his 1st wife. After she died, he married Lizzie Bell and had at least two children, whose names I don't know, one was a girl who died when she was nearly grown; the other, a son who was in the Army in the 1920's.
6. GEORGE ANDERSON (3) BELL [SIMEON (2), THOMAS (1)] was born June 14, 1858. He met (1) SARAH COLLINS Abt. 1874. He married (2) BECKY ANN GIBSON October 31, 1878 in Hancock Co, TN, daughter of SHEPHERD GIBSON and REBECCA ALDER. George was described in the Will Grohse Papers as "fairly tall, inclined to be bald in front". I'm not certain that this is the same George Bell that fathered3 children with Mary Collins. There was also a "Young George" Bell. Old George supposedly killed Young George over a woman. The younger George was supposed to be a nephew of his. George and Rebecca lived on Panther's Creek, near Kyles Ford in Hancock Co. George was enumerated as "Mulatto" in the 1880 Hancock Co., TN Census, but enumerated as "White" in 1860 and 1870.
Children of GEORGE BELL and SARAH COLLINS are:
9. i. MARY (4) COLLINS, b. Abt. 1874; d. December 26, 1910.
ii. TIVIS COLLINS.
iii. DRUCILLIA COLLINS.
Children of GEORGE BELL and BECKY GIBSON are:
iv. SARAH4 BELL, b. July 07, 1880, Hancock Co, TN; d. 1905.
10. v. NODIE BELL, b. March 17, 1883.
vi. PATSEY BELL, b. October 07, 1895; m. BOB MISER. Bob was married to Patsy first. After she died, he married Sarah Mullins.
11. vii. MINNIE BELL, b. August 17, 1897.
viii. CLAY BELL, b. March 07, 1898; d. November 18, 1955, Hancock Co, TN. Described in the Will Grohse Papers as "Large, blond, red-faced, almost tow or light hair, good looking.
ix. CALLIE BELL, b. May 08, 1900. Described in Will Grohse Papers as "Slight or thin, not overly strong."
x. HARRIS BELL, b. Abt. July 07, 1902; m. CATHERINE GOODMAN.
12. xi. DANA BELL, b. November 13, 1904.
7. MARY (4) BELL [BURDINE (3), SIMEON (2), THOMAS (1)] was born Bef. 1875. She married WILLIAM THOMAS MISER August 23, 1889 in Hancock Co, TN, son of PETER MISER and POLLY GIBSON. He was born Abt. 1868.
Children of MARY BELL and WILLIAM MISER are:
i. CHARLES5 MISER, b. Abt. 1885.
ii. LEE JESSE MISER, b. October 27, 1886.
iii. JANE MISER, b. 1890.
iv. BESSIE MISER, b. 1892.
v. FANNIE MISER, b. 1894.
vi. ELBERT MISER, b. 1895.
vii. FRANK MISER, b. 1896.
viii. RAY MISER, b. 1898.
ix. HENRY MISER, b. 1900.
x. COY MISER, b. 1902.
xi. DOVEY MISER, b. 1904.
8. HANAH4 BELL [BURDINE (3), SIMEON (2), THOMAS (1)] was born Abt. 1879. She married PETE SWINNEY, son of WESLEY SWINNEY and TENNIE LAWSON.
Child of HANAH BELL and PETE SWINNEY is:
i. HENRY5 SWINNEY, b. Abt. 1912; m. KITTY GIBSON. Henry was a well-known snake-handling preacher in Hancock Co. He claims he was bitten 7 times, but never had to go see a doctor, and didn't have any scars.
9. MARY4 COLLINS [GEORGE ANDERSON (3) BELL, SIMEON (2), THOMAS (1)] was born Abt. 1874, and died December 26, 1910. She married LANDON C HAYNES MULLINS Abt. 1896 in Hancock Co, TN?, son of WILSON MULLINS and MELVINA JOHNSON. He was born May 07, 1874 in Hancock Co, TN, and died 1952 in Hancock Co, TN. The Grohse papers say that Mary was the daughter of "Old" George BELL, and Sally COLLINS, and was apparently illegitimate. But I'm begining to wonder if that's true. Perhaps she was connected to the family of William and Victoria Collins Bell. Interviews with older relativesconfirm she was either a Collins or a Bell. Cause of Death: "female disease"
LANDON C HAYNES MULLINS: Lan was described in the Will Grohse Papers as "tall, spare, looked as if he had poor eyes" (he did go blind). He was said to be an avid hunter, and was listed as being a 'Tanner' in a later census (1900 or 1910). Lan m. Mary COLLINS ca.1896. After Mary's death, Lan married Margie Stewart, dau. of John and Causby Stewart. I believe Lan lived on Powell's Mt., near the TN/VA border, as that is where he's buried. He died in 1952. Lan was listed on the 1880 Hancock Co census as Lan JOHNSON, his mother's maiden name, in the household of Alfred GOINS, his step-father. Perhaps this was out of anger for Lan's father, Wilson Mullins. But as far as I know, Lan was always known as Lan Mullins. Lan went blind as he got older, I believe he had cataracts. There is a story about when he was an old man, and lived up on Powell's Mt. He could barely see, but he still loved to hunt and visit people. Someone would just sort of point him in the right direction. Once, when he was in his 80's, he didn't make it back up the mountain before it got dark. Everyone was worried that he was lost or might freeze because it was cool weather. The next morning, they found him sitting by a fire at the foot of the mountain, patiently waiting for it to get light enough to get home. That was the last time he came off the mountain. Burial: Powell Mt., Hancock Co., TN
Children of MARY COLLINS and LANDON MULLINS are:
i. ALFRED5 MULLINS, b. January 14, 1897, Hancock Co, TN; d. February 11, 1961, Hancock Co, TN; m. (1) PATSY GIBSON; m. (2) DOCIA GOINS, Aft. 1940, Hancock Co, TN. Alfred's hand was chopped off with a hoe, by his brother, Ike. Alfred is buried in Gollihon Cem. in Vardy, Hancock Co., TN. Burial: Gollihon Cem., Hancock Co., TN; cause of Death: TB
DOCIA GOINS: Burial: Vardy Cem., Hancock Co., TN; cause of Death: TB.
ii. ISAAC MULLINS, b. February 24, 1898, Hancock Co, TN; d. December 05, 1968, Hancock Co, TN; m. (1) MINNIE GIBSON; m. (2) CAUSBY GIBSON; m. (3) RUTH ROBERTS. Ike chopped Alfred's hand off (all of the Mullins brothers loved to fight) after an argument. About 20 years later, Ike was fox hunting. He laid his gun up against a tree, it fell over and blew his arm off. He had to carry his arm back home to bury it. In photos, Ike always had his hand behind his back.
iii. ROBERT MULLINS, b. 1899.
iv. PEARLIE MULLINS, b. September 06, 1900, Hancock Co, TN; d. April 22, 1966, Hancock Co, TN; m. CHARLIE MOORE. Charlie and Parlie Moore, lived near Mulberry Gap in Hancock Co., TN (Powell Mt.). Charlie is buried there. Pearlie is buried in Gollihon Cem.
v. BURLY MULLINS, b. June 16, 1902, Hancock Co, TN; d. May 13, 1962, Big Stone Gap, Wise Co., VA; m. VIRGINIA MAE CARROLL, December 19, 1924, Wise Co., VA. Burl moved to Wise Co., VA in the 1920's, to work in the coal mines. He had to wear a gun to work every day. He got injured in a mine, and used money he recieved in a settlement to buy a house and land. He was a preacher for a time, as well as a car salesman, taxi cab driver, and newspaper district manager. Burial: Powell Valley Memorial Gardens, Wise Co., VA.
vi. SHIRLY MULLINS, b. January 29, 1905, Hancock Co, TN; d. May 04, 1962, Hancock Co, TN; m. LIZZIE MOORE. Died 9 days before his brother Burl. Had a child with his sister-in-law, Fanny Moore, who was the sister of his wife, Lizzie Moore, and also the sister of his sister's husband, Charlie Moore.
vii. BERTHA EMMA MULLINS, b. June 15, 1906, Hancock Co, TN; d. Abt. 1940; m. JIM SEABOLT. Cause of Death: cancer.
viii. MACK HENLEY MULLINS, b. 1907, Hancock Co, TN; d. Abt. 1927, Morristown, TN. Was said to have drowned near Morristown, TN, ca. 1927. Some think the circumstances were suspicious.
ix. MELVINA MULLINS, b. April 06, 1909, Hancock Co, TN; m. LEWIS COLLINS.
10. NODIE4 BELL (GEORGE ANDERSON3, SIMEON2, THOMAS1) was born March 17, 1883. She married CHARLIE COLLINS, son of WILL COLLINS and ELVIRA GIBSON.
Children of NODIE BELL and CHARLIE COLLINS are:
i. ALICE5 COLLINS, b. Abt. October 1903.
ii. MATTIE COLLINS, b. April 1905; m. LAFAYETTE MISER; b. 1892, Hancock Co, TN.
iii. RHODA COLLINS, b. October 1908.
iv. BONNIE COLLINS, b. Abt. 1910.
v. GOLDIE COLLINS, b. Abt. October 1911.
vi. BIRDIE COLLINS, b. 1918.
vii. LEONARD COLLINS, b. 1920.
viii. GEORGE WILLIAM COLLINS, b. October 1925.
11. MINNIE4 BELL (GEORGE ANDERSON3, SIMEON2, THOMAS1) was born August 17, 1897. She married GENE MULLINS. Gene and Minnie moved to Indiana abt. 1932.
Children of MINNIE BELL and GENE MULLINS are:
i. HUBERT5 MULLINS.
ii. WILLARD MULLINS.
iii. CLINT MULLINS.
iv. MARY MULLINS.
v. VIOLA MULLINS.
vi. BUSTER MULLINS.
vii. GERTRUDE MULLINS, b. 1915.
viii. CALLIE MULLINS, b. February 1926.
12. DANA (4) BELL [GEORGE ANDERSON (3), SIMEON (2), THOMAS (1)] was born November 13, 1904. He married MINNIE PRIDEMORE, daughter of GEORGE PRIDEMORE and CYNTHIA GIBSON.
Child of DANA BELL and MINNIE PRIDEMORE is:
i. BOBBIE (5) BELL, b. April 19, 1924.