We encourage and appreciate any submissions of genealogical materials to Williamson County TNGenWeb Project. You may send your data in plain text, HTML or attachments via email to one of the County Coordinators.Please be specific in the subject line and reference Williamson County to avoid your email being mistaken for spam by my junk email filters; Example: "Williamson County Data: William Brown's Biography." Don't forget to include your name and the email address you prefer to use for credits on the website for your submission. Please read the guidelines below regarding materials submitted to the website, and if you have additional questions not covered below, don't hesitate to drop us a line. We thank you in advance for your generous contributions to Williamson County TNGenWeb Project and helping in our quest to make as much free online information available for Williamson County researchers as possible.
- Copyright - Please be aware of copyright for material you wish to submit. Only contribute data that is used without copyright infringement, e.g., meets fair use criteria, within public domain, or if under copyright, you have received specific written permission to use it. As a precaution, we will request a copy of the copyrighted written permission from you. However, certain vital facts such as names, birth, marriage and death dates, burial locations, etc., are public information facts and can not be copyrighted. It's only the "creative expression" of the material that can be copyrighted ... not the facts! When submitting your personal data; genealogy reports, photographs, compilations, etc., you will maintain your copyright of the material, but you have given Williamson County TNGenWeb Project the right to publish that material online, and the rights of others to copy or use it for private family, non-commercial, non-profit genealogical purposes only, by your act of submission.
- Sources - Whenever possible, include complete sources for material submitted, i.e.: name of publication, author, title, page number, publisher and date of publication, etc. If possible, include the repository (name of library, etc.) where the original is located.
- Genealogy Reports - All descendant, ancestor and family group sheet reports sent in plain text or html are welcome. I'm sorry, but we cannot accept a GEDCOM file. However, you can upload and post genealogical files in GEDCOM format at RootsWeb.
- Privatize Information - Our policy is similar to the accepted guidelines that RootsWeb or Ancestry.com follow regarding online genealogy, and that is to refrain from posting vital information regarding living individuals; birth dates, marriage dates, addresses, etc. When submitting genealogy reports, please temporarily change your settings on your genealogy software to "privatize" your data before generating your reports. Generally this will still allow the inclusion of all names and relationships in your reports, but it will not show the vital dates and information for living individuals. Deceased individuals will continue to show with all vital dates, etc. Another alternative if you prefer, is to produce a shorter standard report with less generations showing, and ending with births circa 1910. If you have questions, just send us a note.
- Obituaries, Vital Records, Memorabilia & Newspaper Items - These items are always of interest and value to the genealogist, but we request that they generally be older items or those published more than 40 years ago, and thus more genealogical in nature. You may send your transcribed copies in any type of text format. If you would like to submit an actual digital copy (jpeg or gif) of a news clipping, vital record, obituary, etc., please also send a transcribed text version to post. Search engines will only find names, etc., in text versions, but not within graphics.
- Editing - Occasionally it may be necessary to edit or reformat data submitted for accuracy, clarity or website structure. However, we will always attempt to maintain the original content in its entirety.
- Photographs - All photographs with Williamson County connections are welcome, e.g.; individuals, homes, buildings, geographical locations, cemeteries and gravestones, etc. Please generally refrain from submitting photographs of living individuals, or only if their explicit consent has been given, or photographs taken more recently than 50 years ago, excepting of course, those of buildings, cemeteries, gravestones, etc. Please submit your scanned, digitized images in a large enough resolution for printing, e.g., 200-300dpi.
NOTE: All photographs, compilations, derivative and/or original creative works published on Williamson County TNGenWeb Project web site remain under copyright or license of the owner/creator and by the owner's submission, permission has been granted for these images and works to be displayed on Williamson County TNGenWeb Project and copied by others for personal family genealogical use only. These images and works may not be redistributed or published in any other work, by any method, either commercially or non-commercially, without explicit written consent from the owner of the photograph or creative work, unless identified otherwise.