The following Family Histories have been taken from the book by Sue Oden titled "Hold Us Not Boastful - History of Thompson's Station, TN." This biographical collection includes 86 histories of pioneer families of Thompson's Station and Southern Williamson County. The stories are about families who are proud of their roots and their place in history. We hope that you will be able to connect your roots with ours, and become part of us
If you are just beginning your search, this will be a good place to start.
Please note the following:
"The correctness of this biographical material cannot be guaranteed. It was obtained through interviews with family members, research they had done and my own research at the Williamson County Archives. Research in such detail is always subject to error. Everyone must validate the facts for their own use."
Individual Family Histories are found on the following pages:
A B C D E/F/G H/I/J/K/L M/N/O
P/Q R S/T U/V/W/X/Y/Z
There are no U surnames available
William Balderson Veevers, Sr. owned the store in Thompson's Station where the Child Care Center is now located. This store has had many owners and operators over the years. A bill of sale was found at the Williamson County Archives on the letterhead which reads as follows: "Thompsons Station, Tenn. 8/21/1916. Bought of WILLIAM B. VEEVERS, dealer in Dry Goods, Groceries, Shoes and Gents' Furnishing Goods, Wheat and Corn a Specialty."
WILLIAM B. VEEVERS had been scratched out and replaced with YOUNG & HARDIN. It would seem that Veevers sold the store just prior to this and Young & Hardin were the new owners.
William B. Veevers was born March 31, 1879 to Nathaniel and Jan Balderson Veevers. Nathaniel Veevers was born in England, came to America and settled in New Jersey where he married Jan Balderson. He died August 12, 1902 in Columbia, Tennessee.
William Veevers married Eula Jones (1875-1919), daughter of Beverly and Elizabeth Jones. Beverly was the son of Willie Jones.
William B. and Eula Jones Veevers had the following children: Elizabeth Ann Veevers (b. 1901); George Bennie Veevers who the Bennie-Dillon Building in Nashville, Tennessee was named for; William Balderson Veevers, Jr. (b. 1903); James Sedberry Veevers (b. 1907); Nathaniel Clarke Veevers (b. 1910) who was partners in the Coats & Clarke Thread Company.
William B. Veevers, III, son of William B. Veevers, Jr. lives on Coleman Road near Franklin, Tennessee at the present time.
James Waddey was born in Virginia about 1776. He first migrated to Granville County, North Carolina before 1810 where he married Elizabeth Ransom. He was a farmer and later moved his family to Franklin, Williamson County, Tennessee. Their nine children were Spencer, Elliott Richard, Benjamin, Elizabeth, James, Virginia, Lucy C., Sallie and John.
Spencer Waddy was born December 8, 1812 in Oxford Township, Granville County, North Carolina. He died in Williamson County, Tennessee before 1886. His occupation was listed in the 1850 census as "Mechanic" but in 1880 was listed as a farmer. His wife was Mary, last name unknown, who he married in Tennessee before 1848. Their children, all born in Williamson County, were James N., Joseph M., Emma, Oscar, Minnie Mae and David. He left a will in Williamson County in 1886.
Elliott Richard Waddy was born February 27, 1814 in Oxford Township, Mississippi and died about 1870 in Williamson County, Tennessee. He married Sarah Locke Andrews, daughter of Mark Lyle Andrews and Eliza Dean on December 19, 1835. Their children, all born in Williamson County, were Spencer M. Waddy who married Catherine Allen, William C. Waddy, Mary E.Waddy, Mark Lyle Waddy, James Waddy, Eliza Virginia Waddy who married Thomas Hardeman Oden, Elliot Richard Waddy and Sarah Laura Waddy, who married William Robert Andrews.
Benjamin Waddy was born December 12, 1816 in Oxford Township and died in Williamson County. He married Mary J., last name unknown. Their children, all born in Williamson County, were James P. Waddy, Virginia Waddy, Thomas Waddy, William Waddy, Isabella Waddy, Martha V. Waddy, Ben Waddy, Charles Waddy and twins, Ida and Edward Waddy.
Elizabeth Waddy was born May 15, 1819 in Oxford Township and died before September of 1885 in Williamson County, Tennessee. She never married. James Waddy was born March 30, 1821 in Oxford Township and died in Williamson County, Tennessee. Virginia Waddy was born June 18, 1823 in Oxford Township, Lucy C. Waddy was born May 3, 1826 in Williamson County, Tennessee, Sally Waddy was born April 5, 1828 in Williamson County, Tennessee and John Waddy was born May 17, 1830 in Williamson County.
Eliza Virginia Waddy, daughter of Elliot Richard and Sarah Lock Andrews Waddy was born July 11, 1849 in Williamson County and died January 14, 1916 in Greenwood, Caddo Parish, Louisiana. She married Thomas Hardeman Oden, son of Solomon Oden, Jr. and Letitia Cowen Oden, in Williamson County on January 10, 1865.
Their children, all born in Williamson County, were: Elliot Richard Oden who married Buelah C. Ridley in Williamson County; Thomas Edgar Oden who married Emma C. Morris in Williamson County; Sarah Alice Oden who married Walter Joseph Lawton in Williamson County; Laura A. (Lollie) Oden who married Walter L. Dinkins in Caddo Parish, Louisiana; Mittie Virginia Oden who married Henry Pinkney Matthews in Caddo Parish, Louisiana; Solomon Hardeman Oden who married Ruby Brumble in Panola County, Texas; Mary Catherine (Missy) Oden who never married; and Ethel B. Oden who married Jesse Johnson in Shreveport, Louisiana.
The family's move to Louisiana from Williamson County, Tennessee came about after daughter Sarah Alice Oden married Walter Joseph Lawton in 1890. Walter's uncle, Walter W. Page, had given the newlyweds a tract of land in Greenwood, Caddo Parish as a wedding present. The entire family went to visit the couple on their farm late in 1891. During their visit, Thomas Hardeman Oden became ill and died January 25, 1892. The family never returned to Tennessee.
Eliza Virginia Waddy Oden later married Garret Van Evans. She died January 14, 1916 and is buried in Greenwood Cemetery, Caddo Parish, Louisiana.
Tom and Ed Waddy, who had the undertaking business in early years in Thompson's Station, were part of this family. Ed married Ella, last name unknown, as his second wife. Ed had a son, Frank, by his first wife. Ella had a sister who married an Akin. There was also an Ira and Kate Waddy who had a daughter, Katie.
John Watson (1778-1851) married Jane Reese in 1808. They built the house called "The Willows" on West Harpeth Road which was destroyed by a tornado in 1920. It was home to the Boyd Ridley Critz family for many years.
John and Jane Watson had at least six children: Dr. Beverly Oscar Watson who married Margaret H. Nichol; Thomas Josephus Watson who married Susan Catherine Puryear, daughter of Mordecai and Sarah Reese Puryear; Jane E. Watson who married Stephen S. Bradley; Marietta S. Watson who married Jordan Puryear; Letitia J. Watson who married David M. Currin; and, John J. Watson.
Dr. Beverly Oscar Watson (1810-1857) graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in 1834. He and Margaret had ten children: Elizabeth A. Watson who married Thomas A. Crutcher; Jennie Watson (1840-1920); Marietta T. Watson (1839-1841); Ida Watson; Eva Watson; Stanton Puryear Watson (1847-1925) who married Alice Turner (1856-1933); Laura D. Watson (1850-1916); Florence Watson; Maggie Oscar Watson; and Augustus P. H. Watson.
Stanton and Alice Watson had four children: Gus Watson (1879-1952) who married Cora Howard, daughter of John Edward Howard, Sr. and the former Laura Walton; Irby Turner Watson (1884-1950) who married Hattie Martha Tulloss; and, Beverly Oscar Watson, II who was born August 22, 1882 but died at age 33.
Gus and Cora Watson were a well-known couple in Thompson's Station. It was he who moved the store from the center of the village to the corner of Columbia Highway and Thompson's Station Road. Vester and Lois Early bought the store from Mrs. Watson after her husband died. They ran the store for many years.
Moses White was born about 1749 in Louisa County, Virginia. He died there in August of 1794. He served as a private in the Virginia Army during the Revolutionary War and married Sarah Elizabeth Pointdexter who was born May 28, 1758 in Virginia and died in 1793 in Louisa County.
A son of this couple was Chapman White who married first a Leigh and second Martha (Patsy) Maury, daughter of Colonel Abraham Maury and the former Susanna Pointdexter. Colonel Maury was a First Lieutenant and Adjutant of the 14th Virginia Regiment and later of the 10th Virginia Regiment and was a Colonel of Lunenburg County Militia.
Other children of this couple were: William who married Eleanor Johnston; Robert, born February 1, 1777 and married Nancy Perry; Mary who married Colonel Francis Giddens; Nancy who married first Caleb Manley and second William Harwood; Elizabeth who married a Baker; Dicia who married William Ashlin; and, Penelope who married Edward Ragsdale, December 24, 1808.
Chapman White had two children, Lucindy and Dr. Chapman White, Jr..
BILLY WILLIAMS FAMILY
Mr. Billy Williams was a well-known resident of Thompson's Station many years ago. He was a fun-loving, witty fellow who members of the community remember with much affection. He was born William Townsend Williams on Jan. 26, 1883 in Owensboro, Kentucky where his parents, James Lovett Williams and the former Katherine Childress lived at the time. His father was a Methodist circuit rider.
When Billy was about 9 years old his family moved to a place just northeast of Franklin where they lived for a few years before his father bought a farm in West Harpeth. After selling the West Harpeth farm they moved to a big house that stood on the farm once owned by Sam Aaron on Sedberry's curve in Thompson's Station.
Billy Williams graduated from Battle Ground Academy and went to work at the store at Thompson's Station. He was in partnership with W. A. Mefford and Sam Aaron. They also had the grainery by the store.
The women would drive up to the store in their buggies, the clerk would come out, take their order then bring the merchandise out to the buggy for them.
Billy and his father were living in the Jim Porter home (his mother having died by this time) when Billy married Ola Aimee Crawford on April 25, 1914 in the Methodist parsonage. Bro. J. R. Wright was pastor at the time.
Billy had found an oyster in the creek when they lived in West Harpeth. When he opened it a pearl had grown inside. Ola Crawford's engagement ring was made from this pearl.
Ola Aimee Crawford was born in Thompson's Station on Apr. 8, 1893 to David Thomas Crawford and the former Ola Trimble from Ripley, Tennessee. David Thomas Crawford operated the store at Thompson's Station before it was run by W. A. Mefford.
Ola rode the train to Nashville to attend Peabody Demonstration School and high school. She then attended college at Martin in Pulaski.
The first daughter born to Billy and Ola, Alma Augusta Williams, was born while they were living in the Porter house. After a couple of years the young family moved to a house built on the place where Mr. and Mrs. A. B. Church now live. Two more daughters were born in this house, Catherine Trimble Williams and her twin sister, Susan Carolyn Williams. Mrs. Williams put the twin baby girls in a basket and put Alma in the seat beside her. That is the only way she could get around with three such small children.
After a couple of years the family moved to the big, white house directly behind the present Thompson's Station Store and lived there until they died, Miss Ola on June 8, 1966 and Mr. Billy eight days later on June 16, 1966. They are both buried in Mt. Hope.
This house was built by Mr. John Howard. There was a little two-room, log house built on this property first where the Howards lived until the large house was built. After the Williams family bought the house the Howards moved across the road to the Kinnard house.
Catherine Trimble Williams grew up in the house behind the Thompson's Station Store. She went to Thompson's Station School and remembers Frances Anderson Gibbs as the first grade teacher. Some of the children she went to school with were Sara Lou and Mack Hatcher, Sarah Jane Gary, Margaret Kinnard, John and Evelyn Cox, Richard and Joe Mefford, Mary Louise Alexander and Crawford P. Dean. Mrs. Jane Owen and Sophronia Baird were also teachers at this time. Sophronia Baird boarded with Mr. and Mrs. Senter who lived where the Buckners lived later. (The Senters had a daughter, Rebecca and a son, James.) Miss Baird walked to and from the school on the corner.
Catherine remembers playing in her father's store on the balcony that was once there. She and her friends would build houses, play hide-n-seek on the shelves behind the canned goods, and play on the ladders that ran down both sides of the store on tracks. Sometimes, when her mother worked in the store the little girls ate lunch there.
Isaiah Darden worked around the store and always made the little girls a table out of orange crates on which to eat their lunch. He would stand with a white towel over his arm and play "waiter" bringing whatever the little girls might request. Isaish and his wife were known as Uncle Isaiah and Aunt Lizzie and lived behind the black school.
After Billy Williams left his partnership with the others in the store he opened a grocery in the old bank building. Later he went into business with Marnie Sedberry in the portable feed mill business. The last place he worked before he retired was at Standard Farm Store.
There were always social activities at the Williams home. Mr. Billy hung gas laterns above the lawn where a croquet game was set up. Young people as well as the adults played croquet both in the daytime and after dark.
When the section houses from the railroad sold in Spring Hill, Mr. Williams bought two of them. He numbered all the boards of one, took it apart, brought it to Thompson's Station and put it together just as it had been in Spring Hill. The other house he used to build porches on the other house. This house still stand next to the former home of Mrs. Sadie Deason. The family attended Thompson's Station Methodist Church (the Crawfords were charter members years before).Neighbors would go home with each other from church for Sunday dinner. Spencer and Elsie Gary were often dinner guests of the Williams and vice versa.
A tragedy struck the Williams family when their daughter, Susan Carolyn one of the twins, died at the age of 15. Dr. James William Greer was the family doctor.
Catherine graduated from Franklin High School and went to Mrs. Douglas Anderson in Columbia for Business School but soon Mr. Anderson got her a job with Porter Walker Hardwarde Company in Columbia. After a while she went to Franklin to work with Jean Gilmore Webb and Mr. Cleland in Extension service work.
Alma Williams married Ben Edward David but had no children.
Catherine married John Walter Patterson of Columbia in 1944. His ancestors came to Columbia very early from Virginia. John was in World War II. He was a gunner in the Air Force stationed in Italy. They have two daughters, Nancy Carolyn who married Bobby Cummins of Mt. Pleasant. They live in Manchester with their two daughters, Mary Carolyn 16 and Amy Catherine 11. Nancy teaches kindergarten at the Methodist church and her husband is Superintendant of Schools.
Alma Joann married Bob Knight . They live in Alexandria, Virginia. Joann is a flight attendant with Delta Airlines and flies mostly to London, England and Frankfort, Germany. Her husband is a member of the United States Secret Service and guarded President Bush.
Mr. Billy's granddaughters remember him as a man who loved children. He built sand boxes for them and often could be found there playing with the girls singing "Old Dan Tucker".
X & Y
There are no X or Y surnames available
Henry Zellner (1813-1899) of Maury County married Martha Jane Hughes, also of Maury County in 1839. In 1871, Henry and Martha Jane Zellner bought the house in Brentwood known as Ashlawn, built by Richard and Mary Emeline Smith Christmas.
Henry and Martha Jane Zellner had seven children, three of whom died young. They were William James Zellner who married Sarah Rebecca Alexander; Mary Jane Zellner who married William Callendar; Margaret Ophelia who married David Lipscomb; and, Martha Henrie Zellner who married Horace Lipscomb. William James is the Zellner who gave land for the Thompson's Station School and built the Sedberry house on Sedberry's Curve which burned several years ago.
Children of William James and Sarah Rebecca Zellner were: Lucy Zellner; Glenn Zellner who married Cordic Fry; Martha Zellner (1878-1962-) who married William Harrison English (1873-1948); Lenora Zellner who married Harb Temple; Jamie Zellner who married Lipscomb Boyd; Esther Zellner who married Al Sowell; and, John Zellner.
William and Martha (Montie) Zellner English had four children: Zellner English (1899-1953); Alfred English; Sara English; and James English (1905-1967).
William Harrison English was born in Giles County, Tennessee and came to Williamson County with his parents, Franklin Pierce English (1850-1926) and the former Josephine Harrison (1855-1914) when he was a boy of eight. His parents first lived at the place where Howell Patton lived on Columbia Highway for many years. It is now owned by the Wertham family.
He attended the Thompson's Station School under Miss Micki Thompson. Later the family went to West Harpeth to live and here his teacher was Mrs. Rufe Ezelle. Upon reaching adulthood, Mr. English was in the grain business in Franklin. His daughter, Sara English, is a resident of Franklin at the present time.
Your Williamson County Coordinators
Sue B. Oden
Noel C. Matthews
Your Thompson's Station Web Master
Noel C. Matthews
Return To Thompson's Station Main Page
Return To Williamson County Home Page
This page updated November 1, 2002.