The following Family Histories have been taken from the book by Sue Oden titled "Hold Us Not Boastful - History of Thompson's Station, TN." This biographical collection includes 86 histories of pioneer families of Thompson's Station and Southern Williamson County. The stories are about families who are proud of their roots and their place in history. We hope that you will be able to connect your roots with ours, and become part of us.
If you are just beginning your search, this will be a good place to start.
Individual Family Histories are found on the following pages:
Mr. Walter Petway
On May 25, 1939 Mr. Walter Petway gave an interesting overview of the Thompson's Station community in one of Mrs. Jane Owen's Who's Who columns. It is so well done it could not be improved upon. He says:
"Our oldest citizen is Dick Jennette who is now 81 years old. He came here in 1878. But dating back to the real old-timers were Mack Drake who built the house on the hill where Mrs. E. E. Bales lives. Jim Crawford was the grandfather of Crawford Dean and Mrs. Will Williams; Col. Bill Patton, owner of 600 acres of fertile land; Buck Rogers, who lived where the Methodist parsonage is now; Toll Dodd, Fred Barnett, Charles Morris, Daniel Baugh, the Fitzgeralds, Akins, Alexanders, Ed Buford, another large land owner, and many others.
"Sam Pointer, a large land and slave owner, gave the land on which the Methodist Church is built and William Zellner the acreage where the school stands. Zellner built a home on the pike and reared an interesting family. In 1901, he bought his father's farm near Brentwood and sold his old home to J. H. Sedberry. The J. H. Porter place now owned by his daughter, Mrs. Mayes Hume, is another historic place as is the Lemuel Banks farm now owned by Mrs. Hume's sister, Mrs. T. W. Witherspoon and the Robert Kittrell house built by Bill Harrison, father of James W. Harrison, founder of the Williamson County Bank and Trust Company. It is now owned by Mr. Kittrell's daughter, Mrs. Beaumont Anderson and occupied by Spencer Gary, who married my older daughter, Elsie.
"R. R. Ogilvie, who is a live wire, owns and operates the old Sam Pointer place later owner by J. R. Buckner. The Ben Gary and Will Swann families came here from Maury County about the turn of the century. That county lost two mighty good families when they moved away but we were very fortunate to get them.
"The original John Ridley house was burned by the Yankees. It was owned by the grandfather of Creath and Joseph Lee Ridley and father of Miss Sallie Ridley, also of the late Mrs. Tom Critz, who moved to the present Critz place about 1879. Dr. W. H. Arnold moved here from Jasmine County, Kentucky in 1878 and built the house on his 160 acre farm where he reared a family of four sons and six daughters, each one a great asset to the community. The J. A. Senter family lived on the Daniel Baugh farm which for more than a hundred years was in the family. Other families came in later and have made us splendid citizens. I only have in mind the older land-owners.
"Speaking of merchants, now that dates back also. Byrd Terrell and T. O. Betts were in business here for years, followed by Will Veevers, Porter Gary and J. T. Stovall. They were succeded by Mefford & Williams, J. E. Howard and Gus Watson. Watson and Mefford moved onto the highway and now those in the station are J. G. Nichols and Roy Ragan.
"E. W. Hatcher was one of our rural route carriers until he was retired a few years ago. Clayton Arnold, who carried one of the routes, now serves both. Jim Barker once was a mail carrier. He has lived in the station for 25 years. Dr. J. W. Greer formerly lived in the Barker house and doctored the entire community and even after he moved to his present home he has retained his practice."
With the help of many of the descendants of the pioneer families of Thompson's Station, and through much research at the Williamson County Archives, over 85 biographical sketches of some of the south-central Williamson County families are presented here.
As with any research obtained partly on individual recollections and family memories, the correctness of this biographical material cannot be guaranteed. It was obtained through interviews with family members, research they had done on their family histories, and Sue's own research at the Williamson County Archives. Research in such detail is always subject to error. Every effort was taken to insure that the information was correct but, everyone must validate the facts for their own use.