TN Flag TN Flag

"P & Q" Family Histories

Thompson's Station

Williamson County

The following Family Histories have been taken from the book by Sue Oden titled "Hold Us Not Boastful - History of Thompson's Station, TN." This biographical collection includes 86 histories of pioneer families of Thompson's Station and Southern Williamson County. The stories are about families who are proud of their roots and their place in history. We hope that you will be able to connect your roots with ours, and become part of us

If you are just beginning your search, this will be a good place to start.

Please note the following:

"The correctness of this biographical material cannot be guaranteed. It was obtained through interviews with family members, research they had done and my own research at the Williamson County Archives. Research in such detail is always subject to error. Everyone must validate the facts for their own use."

Individual Family Histories are found on the following pages:




Oliver Robert Pantall (1833-1914) was born in England and died in Thompson's Station. He married Rosalia G. Taylor (1844-1922) in October of 1866. She was the daughter of John A. Taylor (1817-1888) and Frutilla Ferguson (1825-1905) who were both born in Madison, New York and died in Sun Prairie, Wisconsin.

Oliver and Rosalia Pantall had four children: Howard Merton Pantall (1879-1966) who married Floy Helen Henderson, daughter of Wilson Perry and Kate Miller Henderson; Harold John Pantall (1874-1951) who married Irene Buford; Arthur Richard Pantall (1868-1956) who married Minnie Douglas; and, Myrta Jane Pantall (1870-1958) who never married.

Howard and Helen Pantall had four children: Jean Howard Pantall (b. 1915) who married Frank Hargrove; Oliver Wilson Pantall (b. 1917) who married Bertie Mae Bolton; Ralph Merton Pantall (b. 1922) who married Jean Sullivan; and, Roy Evans Pantall (b. 1926) who married Doris Virginia Shelton.

Oliver Wilson Pantall is the minister at the Thompson's Station Church of Christ. He is married to the former Bertie Mae Bolton, daughter of George Washington Bolton (1885-1957) and the former Sarah Adeline Hardin (1889-1978).

Brother and Mrs. Pantall have four children: Sara Frances Pantall who married Paul Morris Hood; James Oliver Pantall who married Linda Hardison; Gerald Stephen Pantall who married Gail Legg first and Mary Jo Howell, second; and, Ralph Philip Pantall who married Claire Harmon.


James Hazzard (Jim) Patton (1891-1962) owned the farm where John and Sue Oden have lived for the past 26 years. He was married to the former Katherine (Kate) Isleta Neely. Their children are Jane Patton who married John Ben Simmons, Jr., James Hazzard Patton, Jr. and Minnie Katherine Patton who married Richard Douglas Graham.

James Hazzard Patton had one brother, Howell Cobb Patton (1886-1939), who lived in the two-story, white, frame house on Columbia Highway now owned by the Wertham family. Howell Cobb Patton married Margaret Yancey and had a son Howell Cobb Patton, Jr. There is a Howell Cobb Patton, III who has a son, Tyler Patton. This family now resides in Louisville, Kentucky.

James Hazzard and Howell Cobb Patton were the sons of Jason Hazzard Patton (1848-1905) and the former Minnie Aurelia Patton, daughter of Mary Jane Patton.

Jason Hazzard Patton was the son of James Patton (1812-1900) and Susan Cobb Thompson Patton (1820-1881), daughter of Jason Thompson (1787-1841) and the former Susan Cobb (1782-1856). Other children of James and Susan Cobb Patton were Mary B. Patton (b. 1841), Agnes J. Patton (b. 1851), Joseph J. Patton (b. 1854) and J. W. Patton (1856-1859). James Patton was a Justice of the Peace and a Major in the Civil War.

James Patton was the son of Jason Patton (1787-1841) who came to Tennessee about 1802 from North Carolina. He married Bethenia Bostick who came to Tennessee with her father about 1809 also from North Carolina.

Jason Patton was the son of James Patton (b. 1760) of North Carolina and the former Margaret Wilson, originally from Scotland who went into Ireland and then to America settling in North Carolina also.

The earlier generations of this family lived between Triune and College Grove, Tennessee where the family cemetery is located.


An article in the Daily Herald, Columbia, Tennessee dated October 6, 1988 relates the following information:

Services are scheduled for 8:00 P. M. today at Oakes & Nichols. Graveside services are scheduled for 11:00 A. M. Friday in the Patton family cemetery in Thompson Station. Mr. Patton died Tuesday at Columbia Health Care after an illness of several months.

He was a native of Thompson Station and a son of the late Aaron and Annie Pankey Patton. Survivors include a sister, Annie Ruth Burkeen of Columbia and a niece, Gladys Burns of Nashville, reared by his parents. In addition to his work for the funeral home, Mr. Patton was hired to erect tents and supervise parking for various gatherings, help maintain restrooms at the Maury County Fair and, in the 1930's, serve as chauffeur. He also tended rental property he owned but continued to live alone in his room at the funeral home, as he had since the 1950's.

Mr. Patton was a highly respected citizen of Maury County and rode on a mule-drawn hearse with Mr. William Brown during the Mule Day Parades held each May in Columbia. Mr. Patton was a retired cemetery supervisor for Oakes & Nichols for fifty years.


Tristram Patton was one of the first residents of Thompson's Station. He was listed on the 1800 tax list paying taxes on 320 acres on Murfree's Fork. Records in the Williamson County Archives indicate his wife's name was Susannah. Another marriage record was found for Tristram Patton and Martha Overton on April 18, 1808. This could have been a previous marriage. Tristram Patton was the son of Matthew Leander Patton of South Carolina. Tristram was a Justice of the Peace and performed many marriages in the area.

Children listed for Tristram Patton and Susannah were: Alexander J. Patton (1815-1854) who married Lucinda A., last name unknown, and had Eudora Patton Parrish (b. 1844), Rosanna Patton Trimble (b. 1846), William Russell Patton (b. 1831) and Septemia O. J. Patton; William Bryers Patton (b. 1823) who married Elizabeth E. Patton (1835-1861) and had at least one son, Andrew Tristram who died as an infant; Martha Jane Patton (1822-1863) who married James White Crawford (1818-1889) and had Melinda Augusta Crawford, John Tristram Crawford, Sallie Josephine Crawford, Mary A. Crawford, Susie C. Crawford, Adelia Harriett Crawford and Martha (Mattie) Crawford who married James Thomas Dean (See Dean family); Malinda Patton; and, John D. Patton who also went by the name of John P. Overton.

Martha Jane Patton Crawford died and James White Crawford married Sarah J., last name unknown. They had at least one child, David Thomas Crawford who married Ola Trimble. They were the parents of Ola Aimee Crawford who married William Townsend (Billy) Williams.


Willis Patton was a resident of Thompson's Station until he died December 6, 1974. He worked for the railroad for forty-seven years. He lived in the first house on School Street nearest the Church of Christ. In the early days the road was not in front of his house as it is today but came straight across the railroad. His parents, Tom and Nannie Patton lived there before him.

He was first married to Cynthia Thompson and they had the following children: John Willie who married Lillie Wiggins; Sarah Louise who married Reuben Nevils; Willis, Jr. who married Jerrie, last name unknown; Walter Patton who married Mary Serline (Crutcher) Darden; Nannie who married first John Lewis Covington and second Jim Tom Haynes and Fannie Myrtle who married Richard Curry.

Willis Patton, Sr. married the second time to Mary Lee Hines from Waco, Tennessee and third to Mildred Patton, daughter of Logan Patton who worked for the railroad in Franklin.

Mrs. William J. Darby, Jr. interviewed Mr. Patton in 1973 when he spoke of James Thomas and Ed Waddy having an undertaking business in Thompson's Station. He remembers the big team of white horses that pulled the wagon carrying the remains of deceased persons to the cemetery. A burial with a wooden casket was fifteen dollars. According to Willis "you were a big shot if you could afford a funeral". He remembered the "turn-a-round" for the trains before the rails were laid south to Alabama. It was located on the corner of the Darby home where a large hole can still be seen.


William Caudle Pennington jokingly says his interest in horses began the day he was born. He cannot remember when he did not ride a horse. You would expect nothing else since both his father, and grandfather, traded in horses and mules.

Pennington and his sister, Martha Elizabeth Shaneyfelt, were born and raised in the house located next to Pennington Stables, his Walking Horse barn on Thompson's Station Road, West. A foster brother is M. L. Pugh who married Delisa Kimbro and had Bobby Pugh. The parents of William, Martha Elizabeth and M. L. Pugh were William Earnest Pennington (1899-1979) and the former Lucille Caudle (1904-1985).

Earnest was the son of Alexander Moses Pennington (1848-1934), who was born in Mt. Pleasant, Tennessee and the former Amelia King (1872-1941) who was born in Gallatin, Tennessee.

Children born to Alexander and Amelia Pennington other than William Earnest were: Lucille Pennington who married Roy Fraser; J. B. Pennington who married Aliene Epps; Herbert; Clarence who never married; Harry who never married; Robert who never married; Howard who married Clara Hudson; Emmette; and, Faine King Pennington who married Lucy Martin.

Lucille Caudle was the only child of Drue Scruggs Caudle (1874-1937) and the former Elizabeth Guffee (1872-1941). Elizabeth Guffee was the sister of A. P. Guffee, father of Dr. Harry Guffee.

The Penningtons raised tobacco, sheep and ran a Jersey dairy herd as well as the horse and mule operation. Young Pennington broke some of the horses to ride during his growing up years.

When he was seven or eight years old, a load of mules came to their farm from Bowling Green, Ky. for resale. Among the mules was a little brown and white pony which the boy immediately wanted for his own. Everytime someone mentioned buying the animal he always told them, "no one can ride that pony".

The elder Pennington bought the pony for $25 and gave it to his son for a Christmas present. William showed "King George" in the first Walking Horse Celebration ever held at Shelbyville and won first place.

The pair appeared in horse shows, sponsored by schools as fund raising events, throughout the southern Williamson County area. They won every show they were in. Pennington kept this pony for 32 years before it died and today has an oil painting of "King George" hanging on the wall.

From this small beginning, William Pennington went on to stand in the spotlight of the Tennessee Walking Horse industry today.

William attended the frame, two-room school then in existence on the corner of Columbia Highway and Thompson's Station Road. Bessie Bond, of Bethesda, was a teacher and Clyde Adams, who lived on Lewisburg Pike, was the principal.

Some of the children attending the school with William during the late '30s were his sister, Martha Elizabeth Pennington, Walter Cannon Kinnard, Rodger Cotton, Tim Akin and the C. C. Brown children, Betty, Allen, Kenneth, Coleman and Sarah Jo.

During this time, four or five milk trucks ran through the area picking up milk from the dairy farms. William rode one of these to school every morning and someone picked him up in the afternoon.

In the 8th grade he commuted to Franklin where he attended Battle Ground Academy and graduated five years later. After high school, William continued farming, milking cows and working with horses. Later he rented several farms which he cultivated.

By 1968, a few factories had come to Franklin making it hard to get farm help. Pennington gave up the farms he was renting and sold the dairy. He went into training horses and working with mares and colts in a breeding operation full time.

Since he didn't have a milk check coming in any longer, things were pretty slim at first. He says his start really came from two sources - Dr. S. W. Ballard of Southall and Kibler Farms from Ohio. They furnished him with many mares and colts.

Pennington says if you want a nine to five job, don't become involved with show horses! During show season, a day starts at 5:30 a. m. and, if you're lucky, it ends at 9:00 p. m. every day. On the week-ends, you are showing Friday and Saturday nights, getting home at 1 or 2 in the morning. Sitting up with foaling mares through the night is a big part of this business.

He has shown weanlings and yearlings in all the championship classes. He has shown in all the major shows all over the U. S. He has watched the Walking Horse industry grow from simple, family operations into the multi-million dollar business it is today. In the beginning, exhibitors only traveled within the county. Today they think nothing of flying horses all over the world.

The riding attire has gone from pants and sport shirt to tuxedos and black tie. Pennington's father paid $25 for "King George". A champion today sells for thousands of dollars.

Colts come to Pennington Stables from California to Florida. Fifteen World Champions and thirteen Reserve Champions of their various divisions (weanling, yearling, etc.) have come from this barn.

He has done very little advertising. His reputation has been built from successes in the show ring and by word of mouth.

In his opinion, the best animal he has ever worked with is "Generator's My Papa", who has won every major show in the United States. He owned half interest in this colt.

There is an interesting story that goes with this horse. The Penningtons were showing at Summertown one night. At the end of the show, Pennington says he had a sense of urgency to return home as fast as he could. He never traveled as fast before while pulling a horse trailer.

When they arrived home, he jumped from the truck and ran to the barn. One of his mares was down, dripping wet with sweat. Her colt had been born with his head turned back against the wall and the sack still over him. Pennington ran around to the door and took the sack from the colt - he was not breathing. Pennington started breathing into him, beating on him and suddenly the colt gasp with life. This colt was within seconds of suffocation! Later $150,000.00 was turned down for this animal.

William Pennington's paternal grandfather was Alexander Moses Pennington born December 1, 1899 in Gallatin, Tennessee. He died April 2, 1979 in Williamson County and is buried in Mt. Hope. He married the former Amelia King.

His maternal grandparents were Drue Scruggs Caudle (1874-1937) and the former Elizabeth Guffee (1872-1941).


Walter Petway (1866-1947) was a prominent resident of Thompson's Station for many years. He was born on a 400 acre farm near Arno, the youngest son of William Joel Petway (1828-1908) and the former Myra Elizabeth Burns (1829-1908). His brothers were Thomas, Burns and Ollie.

In 1892 the family moved to Thompson's Station and most of his boyhood activities were centered in a large two-story frame house just at the edge of town on the Carter's Creek Pike, which was the home of Mrs. Pattie Petway.

Walter attended Campbell Brothers' School, excelling in history and geography. He served the 11th district in the county court for many years and was on the school board for as many more years. The school was his special hobby and he never lost an opportunity to secure for it everything within his power. Walter and his family were also strong supporters of the Thompson's Station Methodist Church.

Walter married Cammie Church (1868-1952), daughter of Captain J. P. Church. Two daughters were born to this marriage, Elsie Densmore Petway (1894-1988) who married James Spencer Gary and Sara Elizabeth Petway (1901-1977) who married Robert Jones Russell of Spring Hill, Tennessee, parents of Bobby Russell and Katharine Elizabeth Russell Ray.


Henry Pointer was born December 19, 1785 in Halifax County, Virginia. He came to Tennessee in 1827 settling in Spring Hill, Tennessee. He married first a Miss Ragland and by her had three daughters, Martha, Mary and Elizabeth. After his first wife died he married Wilmoth Boyd (1788-1855), also of Virginia and had eight children: Henry P., William, Susan, Thomas G., Samuel, Ellen, Harriett. One other child died in infancy. He eventually owned a fine farm in Williamson County.

Henry P. Pointer, son of the above Henry Pointer, was born May 5, 1822 in Halifax County, Virginia and came to Tennessee with his parents when just a boy. He was educated at Jackson College in Maury County, Tennessee and in 1853 he married Martha J. Caldwell who died shortly after the wedding. He then married Virginia Brown and had one child, Henry Strange Pointer. He was Captain of Company E in the Civil War and was wounded near Memphis, Tennessee.

Henry P. Pointer built a two-story frame house just south of Thompson's Station on the Columbia Highway. This was the location of his farm where he bred many well-known race horses in the late 19th century. The house remained in the family until 1933.

Another son of Henry and Wilmoth Pointer was Samuel A. Pointer who was born September 19, 1830. He married Cynthia Rodes Holland. They were the parents of another Henry Pointer (1860-1914) who was a merchant and banker.


There are no Q family histories

Return To Thompson's Station Main Page

Return To Williamson County Home Page

This page updated October 14, 2010.