The following Family Histories have been taken from the book by Sue Oden titled "Hold Us Not Boastful - History of Thompson's Station, TN." This biographical collection includes 86 histories of pioneer families of Thompson's Station and Southern Williamson County. The stories are about families who are proud of their roots and their place in history. We hope that you will be able to connect your roots with ours, and become part of us
If you are just beginning your search, this will be a good place to start.
Please note the following:
"The correctness of this biographical material cannot be guaranteed. It was obtained through interviews with family members, research they had done and my own research at the Williamson County Archives. Research in such detail is always subject to error. Everyone must validate the facts for their own use."
Individual Family Histories are found on the following pages:
A B C D E/F/G H/I/J/K/L M/N/O
P/Q R S/T U/V/W/X/Y/Z
Edgar White Hatcher and the former Lula Blythe McCord had six children: Everette Milton, James Ellis, Andrew Lawrence, Edgar Blythe, Sara Lou and John McCord, better known as "Mack" Hatcher.
Edgar Blythe started school in the Church of Christ building because the school building had burned in 1918 and classes were meeting in the church. His first teacher was Mary Lou Cannon. The new school was built in 1921; and, at that time, the seventh and eighth grades were completed in one year. For a while, the tenth grade was part of the school.
After attending the Thompson's Station school, he began his first year in high school at Branaham & Hughes Academy in Spring Hill. Because of a severe case of pneumonia, he was out of school most of his first year and subsequently had to start over in 1927. Blythe either walked to school, rode his pony or caught a ride. One of the things he remembers was riding across Branaham & Hughes campus on his white pony to get to the barn located at the rear of the buildings. He was always embarrassed because his uniform was splattered with mud from the construction on Columbia Highway.
Mrs. Hatcher saw that her children had as many advantages as she and her husband could provide. Twice a week, Blythe stopped at the home of Mrs. Gus Watson for "elocution lessons" or public speaking. He also took piano lessons from Edna Maury who came from Franklin to teach music at the Thompson's Station School. For two summers, he worked for Gus Watson in his tourist court and restaurant on the corner of Columbia Highway and Thompson's Station Road. This store had originally been next to the bank in the heart of the village. Mr. Watson moved it to the corner of Columbia Highway and Thompson's Station Road, added tourist cabins and a little restaurant. Blythe made sandwiches for the tourists. This was the only route to Florida and other points south as the interstates were not yet developed.
One of the hardest things Blythe had to do for Mr. Watson was hauling six hundred pounds of ice three times a week from Franklin. He made the trip in a T-Model Ford, making several stops along the way selling ice to some of the residents.
Anyone wanting ice would put a card in their window with the amount of ice wanted. He remembers chipping off one hundred pounds of ice for Howell Patton's wife who had a five-foot tallice box large enough to hold a quarter of beef. Blythe kept the shop when Mr. Riggin, the butcher, was away. He always dreaded someone coming in for meat because he had a hard time slicing the cuts evenly.
He remembers Mrs. Ragsdale always wanted a "brisket roast". He didn't know which roast this was and asked her to select the one she wanted.
From Branaham & Hughes, Blythe went to the State Teacher's College (now Middle Tennessee State University) where he graduated in 1931, obtaining a teaching position at Adkisson School near the Cheatham County line.
His next position was at Dodson School in Hermitage where he was principal.
Blythe Hatcher met Annie Amelia Bell while they were students at the State Teachers College. Her parents were William Fort Bell of Springfield and Nancy Eliza Irwin of Savannah. They were married in 1937 while Blythe was in Hermitage.
Ann had attended the University of Texas for one year before coming to the State Teacher's College. She obtained her master's degree at Peabody and also taught school for thirty-five years.
In 1943, during World War II, the Hatchers went to Columbia where Blythe taught mathmatics and served as commandant of cadets for sixteen years at Columbia Military Academy.
In 1960, he obtained a position as dean of students at Berry College in Rome, Georgia which he had for ten years. During this time, he received his master's degree by attending classes during the summer.
In 1970 he went back to Columbia Military Academy as president. He held this position until 1975, when he resigned to become a teacher until retirement in 1979. This was when he and his wife came back to Thompson's Station.
The Hatchers have a daughter, Sara Ann, who married Kenneth Malcolm Williams. They make their home in Conyers, Georgia. Their children are: James Clifton, Kenneth Russell, Sara Lynn and Blythe Ann.
Their son is James Irwin Hatcher, who is with Smurfit Paper Tube, Inc. in Kingston, Ontario, Canada. He has a son James Christopher.
Blythe's brother, Mack, was head of the Williamson County Highway Department in Franklin. Mack Hatcher Memorial Parkway (the Franklin bypass) is named for him. Another brother, Andrew Lawrence Hatcher, married Sam and Emma Aaron's daughter, Cornelia.
Sara Lou was the only girl born to Mr. and Mrs. Hatcher. She was born in 1918 and died January 15, 1997. A lifelong resident of Thompson's Station, Sara Lou received her BA and MA degrees from Peabody College in Nashville, Tennessee. She taught math at Franklin High School from 1937 until 1943 and at Kingsport, Tennessee from 1943 until 1945. She was with the Tennessee Department of Health and vital Statistics from 1945 until she retired in 1972.
Sara Lou Hatcher was a member of the Franklin Southern Methodist Church, the Williamson County Retired Teachers Association, the Thompson's Station Community Association and was active in the Gideon Society.
Another branch of the Hatcher family that has had a strong influence on the history of Thompson's Station is that of Milton Chriesman Hatcher and the former Kathleen Kennedy.
Milton Hatcher was the brother of Edgar White Hatcher. These two men, along with Andrew Charles Hatcher, were sons of John Milton Hatcher and the former Sara Ruth Chriesman.
Kathleen Kennedy was born in the Kennedy house in Franklin and was the granddaughter of Michael Doyle, born in Newbridge, County Kildare, Ireland. He is buried in the cemetery in Franklin with this information on his tombstone.
John Milton Hatcher's parents were John Rucker Hatcher and the former Matilda Spiers Hatcher. They were first cousins; John Rucker being the son of William and Lucy Rucker Hatcher and Matilda being the daughter of Julius and Polly White Hatcher.
Milton and Kathleen Hatcher had three daughters: Dorothy Ruth Hatcher Lea, Kathryn Alice Hatcher Cotton and Martha Milton Hatcher Whitaker.
Dorothy was born in Memphis and married Robert McKie Lea there. When they came to Williamson County, they lived on their farm near Bethesda for five years, then bought the home on Columbia Highway.
Mrs. John B. Ridley, a resident of Thompson's Station long ago, told Dorothy this house was built around 1816 and was a stagecoach inn on the way south that provided food for travelers but did not accommodate them overnight; however, no documents have been found to substantuate this information. It was formerly owned by William J. Zellner before he built the house on Sedberry's curve.
The Lea children are: Milton Hatcher Lea, Eleanor Lea Stewart who has a son, Bruce Lea Stewart and another daughter Peggy Lula Lea Murphy who has a son, Kim David Murphy.
Kathryn Cotton's children are: Kathryn Alice (Cotton) Bryant who died several years ago. She had two daughters, Karen Bryant Valk and Sharon Lynn Bryant. Kathryn Bryant's granddaughter is Kathryn Laurel Valk.
Kathryn's son is Rodger Chriesman Cotton. He has three children: Dwayne Lawrence, Jonathan Doyle and Dale Chriesman. Kathryn's other son, no longer living, was Howard Hatcher Cotton.
Martha Hatcher Whitaker contined to live in Memphis and had no children.
The first Hatcher who came to America is referred to by genealogists as "William the Immigrant". He was born in England about 1614 and secured a land patent in Henrico County, Virginia in 1636. His son, grandson and great grandson were named Henry Hatcher.
The great grandson, Henry Hatcher, had three sons: Henry, Jeremiah and Julius. Jeremiah Hatcher married Edith Logwood on July 2, 1773 in Chesterfield County, Virginia and died in Bedford County in 1804. They became the ancestors of the Thompson's Station Hatchers.
Jeremiah was born in Henrico County, Virginia before 1741. He was a Baptist minister and became pastor of the Tomahawk Church in Chesterfield County, Virginia. When he moved to Bedford County, Virginia, he became pastor of a church on the North Fork of Big Otter River, called "Hatcher's Meeting House". He was greatly loved by the people of his congregation and was recognized as a devout man of God.
Rev. Jeremiah Hatcher's will lists eleven children, two of whom were William and Julius. Both these men came to Williamson County. William, who married the former Lucy Rucker, settled near Arno. Julius married Polly White and eventually went on to Maury County.
Two of Rev. Hatcher's grandsons, Dr. William E. Hatcher and Dr. Jeremiah Bell Jeter, were two remarkable men who were the most prominent preachers in the southern Baptist Church for half a century. Another grandson, Dr. Harvey Hatcher, was prominent in the Baptist Church in Georgia. Still another grandson, the Hon. Robert Hatcher (brother of William E.), served in Congress from Missouri for more than twenty years.
On May 20, 1953 two Williamson and Maury County families united when Hubert Marion Hill married Lillian Crafton, daughter of John Edward Crafton (1908-1967) and the former Edna Mosley who was born November 8, 1911 in Ashton, Illinois.
Hubert and Lillian Hill have three children: Hubert Ronald (Ronnie) who married Theresa Clark in 1977 and had Ronald Peyton and Blake Clark Hill; Lillian Victoria (Vicki) who married Gregory Sean Mashburn in 1989 and had Tanner Sean Mashburn; and Timothy Crafton (Tim) who married Ann Catherine Cox in 1989 and had Andrew Timothy Hill. Another son, Hamilton Theodore (Ted) died in 1976 at the age of thirteen.
Hubert and Lillian Hill bought and remodeled the John B. Ridley place on Columbia Highway. It is called "Memory Acres".
Hubert was a well known cattleman in Williamson County before he died of cancer in 1995. He bought and sold Holstein heifers, pasturing them both on his farm and on other farms in the area. He was a supporter of the community, donating a calf each year to be auctioned at the Thompson's Station Festival. He was a member and faithful supporter of the Mt. Carmel Presbyterian Church located just off Lewisburg Pike.
Hubert was born August 20, 1930 to Howard Homer Hill (1899-1972) and the former Lillie Ester Anglin (1901-1995) who married January 10, 1922 in Williamson County. Homer Hill was born in Sante Fe in Maury County. He and his wife are buried in William Memorial Gardens. Lillie was the daughter of James Edwin Anglin (1877-1953) and the former Darthulia Sullivan (1880-1953).
Homer and Lillie Hill had six children: Hazel Beatrice who married Otis Groom in Murfreesboro, Tennessee; Dorothy Hester who married Grady Gardner in San Deigo, California; Helen Irene who married Jimmy Powers in Humphreys County, Tennessee; Homer Roger who married Maye Tomlin in Williamson County, Tennessee; Hubert Marion who married Lillian Crafton in Williamson County, Tennessee; and Huberta Maxine who married Frank Perkins in Williamson County, Tennessee.
Howard Homer Hill was the son of Francis Marion Hill (1864-1928) and the former Hettie Hester Slater (1876-1955). Both were born in Sante Fe in Maury County and were married there April 4, 1889. Both are also buried at Sante Fe.
Francis Marion Hill was the son of John Wesley Hill (1815-1867) and the former Susannah Rail (1822-1900). This couple was born, married and died at Sante Fe and buried in the Rail Cemetery.
Hettie Hester Slater was the daughter of David Fletcher Slater (1852-1924) born in Wisconsin and buried at Sante Fe. His wife, the former Nancy Elvira Dudley (1857-1937), is also buried there. The couple was married November 24, 1874.
The nine children of Francis Marion Hill and his wife were: Walter Monroe who married Exie Alexander in 1908, Ethel May who married Rollie Alexander in 1911, Bertha Magdaline who married James Hill, Luther Marion who married Emma Ruth Ramsey in 1915, Howard Homer who married Lillie Ester Anglin in 1922, Grace Nevada who married Willis Sparkman, Gladys Iowa who married Mattie Lee Godwin (a male), Marvin Holland who never married and Malvin Irvin who married Jewel Baker in 1930.
TOM HITCH FAMILY
Tom J. and Mae Callahan Hitch bought the farm in Thompson's Station known as "Roderick" just before he retired as Farm Bureau president in 1961.
Mr. Hitch was born August 19, 1902 in Blount County, the son of the late Andy and Rachel Davis Hitch. He was one of twelve children (seven sons and five daughters). He attended elementary and high school in Blount County and later attended Maryville College and Friendsville Academy. While he was not in shcool, he worked on his father's farm.
In 1925 he and two of his brothers purchased a farm, operating it as a partnership until 1945 when they divided the land. Mr. Hitch operated his portion of the farm until it was purchased in the expansion of the Knoxville airport.
Mr. and Mrs. Hitch were married October 2, 1926. She was also a native of Blount County and the daughter of Tom Callahan. Although they had no children, they were like parents to many of the young people of the Farm Bureau.
Tom Hitch was a charter member of the Blount County Farm Bureau and served as its president for seven years. He was elected to the board of director of the Tennessee Farm Bureau in 1944 and was chosen vice president in the summer of 1946.
He was elected president of the Tennessee Farm Bureau in November of 1946, succeeding the first president, the late Joe Frank Porter of Williamsport. At this time he and Mrs. Hitch moved to Columbia to make their home.
They were active in the First Baptist Church in Columbia where he was elected a deacon in 1947. He was also chairman of the board of deacons, a Sunday School teacher, member of the choir and chairman of the finance committee.
He served for 30 years as a member of the Baptist Hospital board in Nashville and retired in 1986. He served for six years as a member of the Belmont College board of trustees. He served as state president for 15 years and retired in 1961 when they moved to their farm in Thompson's Station.
During his presidency of the Tennessee Farm Bureau, he was appointed to President Eisenhower's Agriculture Advisory Commission in 1953 and served for two terms. He also served as a member of the American Farm Bureau Board of Directors, the Tennessee Farmers Cooperative Board, the State Board of Agriculture, a member of the National Livestock and Meat Board and the National Rural Health Board. He was chosen by Progressive Farmer Magazine as their "Man of the Year in Agriculture" in 1951.
In 1969 he established the Tom and Mae Hitch Scholarship Endowment Fund to provide scholarships for students enrolled in the College of Agriculture. In 1987 he gave $100,000 to the University of Tennessee Institure of Agriculture and contributed heavily to Belmont College in Nashville.
In 1973 Mr. and Mrs. Hitch sold their farm in Thompson's Station and moved back to Columbia where Mrs. Hitch died April 21, 1985. She was buried in the Sherwood Memorial Gardens in Maryville. She was survived by her husband, two brothers, Clyde and George Callahan and a sister, Mrs. Maude Hicks, all of Louisville in Blount County.
Mr. Hitch married Girline King in January of 1987. He died January 9, 1989. He was survived by his wife and two sisters, Mrs. Madge Fleming of Knoxville and Mrs. Mildred Clark of Maryville.
Charles (Pete) Ward was the manager of Mr. Hitch's farm in Thompson's Station. When Pete was growing up, the Ward family lived in the Plant home on Columbia Highway just south of Thompson's Station where the Holigan Home development is now located.
After Pete married Jessel Estes and became manager for Mr. Hitch, they lived in the house on the hill above the big barn on the Hitch farm. After Pete's death Mrs. Ward lived in Spring Hill for several years. The couple had twin sons; Joe Ward of Rome, Georgia and Jerry Ward of Birmingham, Alabama. Jessel Estes Ward had two sisters; Mae Byrd of Louisville, Kentucky and Zilfie Pedigo of Cave City, Kentucky. Pete and Jessel Ward had six grandchildren and six great-grandchildren.
The Wards funerals were at the Oakes and Nichols Funeral Home in Columbia, Tennessee and burial was in Williamson Memorial Gardens in Franklin, Tennessee.
Robert Park Huff (1901-1993) was a successful farmer in Thompson's Station for many years. During World War II, he used German prisioners of war to perform much of his farm labor. He was the son of Aught Huff (1875-1954) and the former Alice Virginia Fry (1884-1964). Other children of this couple were James, Wilma and Farris.
Park Huff married Belva Katherine Martin on October 8, 1923 and had Darnell Huff, Harold D. (Buddy) Huff and Jack Huff. After the death of his first wife, he married Lucille Harbison, daughter of William Andrew and Lillie Kelly Harbison.
Aught Huff was the son of Samuel Martin Huff (1847-1918) and the former Martha Jane Harris (1852-1903). Their children, other than Aught, were Elijah, Jane, Anna, Kitty and James Huff.
The parents of Samuel Martin Huff were William Samuel Huff and the former Ann Pace who he married on July 31, 1842. She was the daughter of Thomas Pace. His paternal grandparents were Martin Huff who was born July 18, 1873. Martin came from Greene County, Tennessee to Maury County where he married Hannah Baker April 21, 1823.
PORTER IRWIN FAMILY
Red, white and blue ribbons and yellow ribbons were everywhere on a special day in May, 1991. Banners proclaimed, "Welcome home, Porter!". Rain that had been coming down all day suddenly stopped.
Sgt. Porter Irwin's family was hosting a welcome home party celebrating his return from the war in the Persian Gulf.
About 80 relatives and friends were on hand to join in the festivities. There was laughter, hugs and pats on the back. Family members wore patriotic tee shirts. Grandmother, Ella Mai Porter, had a large American flag on hers and underneath it read, "I was born in the U.S.A.---a long, long time ago!"
Irwin's wife, the former Helena Marie Carney, was there with their three children -- Crystal Michelle, age five; Brian Porter, age two; and Ashley Evonne, age one.
His sister Deborah Irwin and brother Mickey Irwin helped serve all the hungry guests.
James David (Punkin) Porter, Sgt. Irwin's uncle, prepared the barbecued pork and chicken. There was slaw and baked beans, potato salad, corn light bread, homemade pies and cakes. There was a cake decorated to resemble an American flag. Good food as well as good fellowship was enjoyed by everyone that afternoon.
James David and Katrean Walton Porter are the parents of Karen Renee and James Eric. Karen Renee Porter married Ramirio de la Garza and has two children, Dean Russell and Paige Elizabeth. James Eric Porter married Denise and has one child, Katy Lynn.
Sgt. Irwin enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps just after graduating from Franklin High School in 1983. He went to boot camp at Paris Island, South Carolina in September and graduated in December.
In 1984 he was on two NATO floats of six months each. He went to England, Holland, and Germany. He went to a school in Norfolk, Virginia. He was in Bridgeport, Connecticut, Twenty-nine Palms, California and Tampa, Florida.
He was in Puerto Rico four times and stationed on Okinawa in Japan from August, 1986 until April, 1987. While stationed in Okinawa he went to Korea for training.
Irwin was on two Mediterranean floats of six months each and was in Spain, Italy, France, Israel, and Tunisia.
During his entire service his home base was at Camp LeJeune, North Carolina which serves as home base and training center for a combat division of the United States Fleet Marine Forces, Atlantic.
The marines conduct amphibious training along an 11-mile ocean front. Major commands at the camp include a marine corps base and the largest naval hospital in the South. Nearby is Cherry Point Air Station, which is the largest air base of the United States Marine Corps.
Irwin left Camp LeJeune the middle of December, 1990 and flew to Saudi Arabia. The men were provided a very nice Christmas dinner. A few days later they went out into the desert training in preparation for what might happen in the war.
Sgt. Irwin was a Section Chief in the artillery for M198. It is a 155 millimeter Howitzer battery with eight guns. He was responsible for one of these guns, the truck, ammunition and eight to twelve marines. He also worked on the M101 Alpha I, which is a 105 millimeter Howitzer, and the M114 Alpha II which they call the "Pig".
They stayed in the desert southwest of Kuwait City giving support wherever they were called in. At the end of the war they went back to their base camp in Saudi Arabia for two weeks preparing to fly home about April 18th. Irwin received much mail from friends, school children and others he did not even know. As they moved about they were ordered to burn all this so it would not come into enemy hands.
Irwin's unit landed at Cherry Point to a rousing welcome like the ones we saw on TV. His entire family, including his wife and children from North Carolina and his mother and other family members from Thompson's Station, met him at the airfield. As the buses carried them to Camp LeJeune, the streets were lined with thousands of people shouting and waving flags and ribbons.
Sgt. Harold Porter Irwin is the son of Martha Ann Porter Irwin and Harold Prentiss Irwin. His maternal grandparents are Ella Mai Smith Porter and the late James Alexander Hamilton Porter.
His paternal grandparents are Harris P. Irwin, a former police chief of Franklin for 36 years, and Corene Irwin.
Sgt. Irwin was born and raised in Thompson's Station. He attended Thompson's Station and Evergreen Schools. He was in Franklin Boy Scout Troop 137 and was an Eagle Scout.
He grew up learning to hunt and fish. He dug for Indian and Civil War relics. He worked with his grandfather Jim Porter in his shop or building barns and grain bins. He helped his grandmother Ella Mai Porter in the garden.
Sgt. Irwin was too modest to tell a most interesting thing which came to light later. His unit earned the knickname, "Tank Killers", because they destroyed the most enemy tanks of any other group in the entire war. They went to Washington to accept an award from President Bush.
James Brown (Jimmy) Jackson and his wife, the former Cherry Lynn Brooks, are probably the most well-known individuals, at the present time, in Thompson's Station. Jimmy has solved the electrical and plumbing problems of the community and surrounding area for many years. Cherry was appointed to fill David Coleman's term of Mayor of Thompson's Station when he resigned in 1995. She was elected in her own right on November 5, 1996.
Cherry and Jimmy Jackson have a daughter, Sherry Ann, who married Brian Hugh Sanders, son of Claude Houston (Hugh) Sanders, Jr. and Emily Jones Sanders. Sherry and Brian have a daughter, Katherine Annabell, born June 12, 1992.
Jimmy Jackson is the son of Joe Daniel Jackson (1917-1975) and the former Annie Louise Bagsby, daughter of Eugene Benjamin and Lula Eva Marlin Bagsby. Eugene Benjamin Bagsby's parents were William Thomas and Delia Bennett Bagsby. Lula Eva's parents were William and Elizabeth Johnson Marlin.
Joe Daniel and Annie Louise Jackson had eight children: Curtis Eugene (b. 1942) who married Linda Deason, Charlotte Ann (b. 1943) who married James Edward House, James Brown (b. 1946) who married Cherry Lynn Brooks, Howard Daniel (b. 1948) who married Joanne Anglin, Murray Lewis (b. 1950) who married Nancy Petty, Charlie (b. 1954) who married Judy Crouch, Mary Jo (b. 1956) who married Wayne Hailey, and James Michael (b. 1966) who married Penny Carol Nix.
Joe Daniel Jackson was the son of John Patton Jackson (1874-1953) and the former Lutisha Margaret Hassell (1880-1938). They were born, married and died in Williamson County and buried in the Cool Spring Cemetery.
The ten children of John and Margaret Jackson were: Pete Oscar who lived only two weeks, Pearl who married Melvin Gibson, Lizzie Mae who married Ben Allen Tomlin, Vassie who never married, John Robert who married Elise Childress, Murray Lewis who never married, Walter Thomas who married Alma Ladd, Sam who married Annie Lee Hartley, Henry George (Jake) who married Eulamae Geasley and Joe Daniel who married Annie Louise Bagsby.
John Patton Jackson was the son of Charles Womack Jackson (1842-1923) and the former Elizabeth Jane Nesbitt (1845-1922), daughter of John B. Nesbitt. This couple is buried in the Poteete Cemetery on the north side of Peytonsville Road. Their children were: Samuel E. (b. 1866), Martha J. (b. 1868), Robert W. (b. 1869), Charles T. (b. 1871), John Patton (b. 1874), Jesse (b. 1876), Henry (b. 1873) and possibly more.
Charles Womack Jackson was the son of Josiah S. Jackson who was born about 1783 in Virginia. Listed in Josiah's household in the 1850 census of Thompson's Station was Martha Bridges, (b. ca 1803) apparently his wife, and probably their children: Robert (b. 1826), Rebecca B. (b. 1827) possibly Robert's wife, Joseph F. (b. 1829), Martha J. (b. 1831), Sarah E. (b. 1835), John and Joseph Allen (b. 1838 and apparently twins), Emaline and Mary A. Allen (b. 1839) also apparently twins, Charles Womack (b. 1842) and another Rebecca (b. 1845). All these family members were born in Virginia. Their placement in the census indicates that they lived near the Solomon Oden and Joshua Early families who were located on and around the Riverbend Nursery land on what is now East Thompson Road near Lewisburg Pike.
PORTER JONES FAMILY
Although Mrs. Porter Jones, the former Mary Elizabeth Vaughan, lived in Spring Hill most of her life, she has always been closely associated with Thompson's Station.
Elizabeth Jones' parents were William Benjamin Vaughan and the former Mary Elizabeth Hughes who where married in 1899 in Franklin. He was born in 1877 and died in 1950. She was born in 1874 and died in 1974. She lacked five weeks being 100 years of age. The Vaughans also had a son, Russell.
Mr. Vaughan was a motorman on the Franklin-Interurban from the day it first ran on a Saturday in April, 1909 until a night in November, 1941 when it made the last run.
Mrs. Vaughan was employed by Roberts Department Store in Franklin, Tennessee for most of her adult years, with time out when her children were small. The store was located next to Gray Drug Store on Main Street at that time.
Elizabeth's maternal grandmother was Mary Lou Cooper who married a Hughes. She was originally from Mt. Pleasant but when she and Mr. Hughes married they lived in Franklin where he was raised.
Mr. Hughes died young, leaving his wife with several children. To support her family she ran a toll gate on Boyd Mill Pike.
Elizabeth was born in 1905, grew up in Franklin and attended elementary school at Five Points and high school which was next to the Carter House at that time. Her first grade teacher was Miss Mary Pinkerton. Other teachers were Mrs. Josephine Wirt, Mrs. Jane Owen and Miss Mary Lou Gray, the Home Economics teacher and Mr. Horn, the principal. She graduated in 1923.
Porter Jones was born in 1901 in Spring Hill where his family lived. His father, John Frank Jones, died at the age of 39, leaving his wife, the former Margaret Oliver McMeen with several small children. There is a cemetery near Jamison's Store out from Spring Hill where members of the Jones family are buried.
When Elizabeth Vaughan and Porter Jones met, he was playing football at Branham and Hughes Academy where he attended high school. He played in the first Thanksgiving Day football game ever played at Vanderbilt Stadium.
Elizabeth Vaughan and Porter Jones were married in 1924 in Franklin where their three children, Kathryn Bell, William Frank and Mary Frances were later born.
During the early years of their marriage the young family lived in Old Hickory while Jones worked at Dupont. The next move was to rural Spring Hill where Jones farmed for a while before buying a little country store across the road from Lawrence Grove Baptist Church at the foot of Sugar Ridge.
The two older children were in school by this time. Mrs. Jones stayed in the store, keeping the youngest child with her, while Jones drove his market wagon route.
After four or five years, Jones thought they could better themselves by being in the business section of Spring Hill, Tennessee. They bought a grocery store across the street from what is now a branch of the Franklin National Bank. Theirs was the first meat counter ever in Spring Hill. In those years, if one sold meat in their store one must kill the beef, dress the meat and package it themselves.
After two or three more moves, the Jones family finally settled on Duplex Road in Spring Hill where they stayed for 23 years.
By this time their children were grown. Kathryn married Jack Warren and had a daughter, Betty Lou Bailey with two children of her own, Jay and Katy. Over the years, many champion Walking horses came from the Jack Warren Stable, also located on Duplex Road. Kathryn worked for Borden's Milk Co. in Lewisburg for many years.
William Frank married Barbara Bass from near Nashville and has a son, Adrian. He has done well as manager of the Service Merchandise warehouse.
Mary Frances married Lee Haworth. They own Haworth Century 21 Real Estate Company. They have two daughters, one is now Debbie Derryberry, with a daughter of her own, Wanda Beth. Another daughter is now Patricia Bango.
Mrs. Jones worked at the Thompson's Station Store for 20 years, first for Roy Ragan in his first store, then for each successive owner as they came along.
Mr. Jones died in 1981 and Jack Warren shortly afterward. At that time, Mrs. Jones and Kathryn Warren built a new home on Evergreen Road in Thompson's Station where they presently live.
Mrs. Jones attends church at Thompson's Station Church of Christ while Kathryn Warren attends Glenn's Chapel Methodist Church on Lewisburg Pike where she went with her husband and his family.
ROBERT ALLEN JONES FAMILY
Robert Allen Jones was also a son of John Frank and Margaret Oliver McMeen Jones who are buried in the Alexander Cemetery on Beechcroft Road in Spring Hill. Margaret had a brother, Jimmie McMeen, who married Irene Caudle. John and Margaret Jones had the following children: Porter who married Mary Elizabeth Vaughn, Robert Allen who married Pearl Gladys Speakman, Henry Wood of Gallatin who married Velfa Allen, Willie D. (1897-1979) who married Bessie May Lavender, sister of Coley Lavender. Joseph Ellis who married Velma Brunson, Katie Lou who married Val McKay and Margaret Isabelle, who never married and was a nurse. Katie Lou and Margaret Isabelle are buried at Woodlawn Cemetery in Nashville.
Robert Allen Jones died January 1, 1995 at the age of 89 years. He was born May 30, 1905 in Spring Hill. He and his wife, the former Pearl Gladys Speakman, were married July 31, 1930. They owned the land where the old Thompson's Station School sits on Evergreen Road and now owned by Billy Ray Cyrus.
Allen and Pearl Jones had three children: Robert Allen Jones, Jr. of Grants, New Mexico, David H. Jones of Lewisburg and Emily Jones Sanders of Brentwood. Pearl Speakman's father, Rev. Francis Marion Speakman was a Baptist minister and preached in many churches in Lawrence, Giles and Wayne Counties. He was born in Logan, Alabama and married the former Emily Cordelia King, also of Alabama. She is buried at Ethridge, Tennessee in Lawrence County.
The Jordans were Anglo-Saxon Crusaders and named themselves after the Jordan River. The first of the name to come to America was Samuel Jordan, called by some Silas Samuel. Samuel came over with Sir George Somers in the "Sea Venture". Sir George was in charge of a fleet of three British ships that sailed from Plymouth, England in June of 1609. The ships were overtaken by a storm but finally reached Somers Island in the Bermudas.
Passengers reached the shore but the boats were wrecked. With timbers saved from them and with new timbers from the cedars of the island, new boats were constructed and they reached Virginia in May of 1610 just in time to meet the few remaining colonists who had decided to leave Jamestown and were on their way to Halifax. They all decided to remain in Virginia.
Samuel Jordan was a notable man in the Jamestown colony. He owned the plantation called "Jordan's Journey", now "Jordan's Point" on the James River. He was a member of the House of Burgesses in Virginia in 1619.
He was married first in England and after her death went to Jamestown. He had two sons by this marriage, Thomas and Samuel Robert, both of whom came to Virginia. Thomas came on the ship "Diana" and is recorded as being a soldier under Sir George Yeardly. His son, Thomas Jordan, II (1634-1699) lived in Chuckatuck in Nansemond County, Virginia. He had ten sons, Thomas III, John, James, Robert, Joseph, Benjamin, Matthew, Samuel, Joshua and Richard.
Samuel Jordan (1679-1760), son of Thomas Jordan, II and Margaret Brasseur, married Elizabeth Fleming, daughter of Colonel Fleming of Kent County. They became the parents of Robert Jordan (b. 1717) who married Mary, last name possibly Pleasants. Two other sons born to Samuel and Elizabeth Fleming Jordan were Samuel Jordan, II and Matthew.
Robert Jordan (whose middle name was possibly Archer) and his wife, Mary, had three sons, Henry, Robert, Jr. and William Jordan (1748-1822). William was born in Lunenburg County, Virginia, married Sallie Wood in 1769 and died in Williamson County, Tennessee.
William and Sallie Wood Jordan brought 12 children to Williamson County: Archer who married Elizabeth Walker; Benjamin who maried Elizabeth Johnson, John who married Polly Walker, Polly who married Thomas Walker; Burton who married Ellen Dean; Anney; Thomas who married Sophia Hyde; Stephen who married Anna Eley Dean; George who married Sally Puckett; Johnson who married Rachel Hill; Patsey who married Stephen Johnson and William, Jr. who married first, Medy Boyd and second, Elizabeth Boyd.
Archer Jordan (b. 1770) and Elizabeth (Betsy) Walker Jordan had 14 children: Susan who married Johnson Wood; John who married Lucinda Turner; Sallie who married Alex Ralston; Clement who married Martha Matthews; Garner M. who married Mary, last name unknown; Freeman who married Martha Caruthers; Martha; Mary C. (Polly) who married Newt Jordan; Elizabeth Ellis who married Thomas Pettus; Nancy who married an Allen; Jane who married James Moore; Coleman who married Mary Ingram; Archibald; and, Edward L. who married first Martha, last name unknown, second a Miss Cook and third, Minnie Williams.
Freeman Jordan (b. 1804) born at Triune married Martha Caruthers (1822-1895) on June 8, 1837. They had five children: Clyde, Tom, Jimmy, Martha and William Addison Jordan.
William Addison Jordan (1848-1929) married Hortence Nancy (1854-1917) on February 11, 1874 and had four children: Margaret who married Frost Church; James (female) who married J. W. Clark, Albert Drayton who married Alice Hawkins; and, Eugenia Z. (Genie).
Albert Drayton Jordan (1876-1954) married Alice Hawkins (1874-1951) of Port Albert, Ontario, Canada. They had five children: William; Genie; Albert, Jr. who married Jennie Lewis Reams; Walter Addison who married Alice Hume; and, Nance Bennett who married Charlie Vene Tindall.
Albert Drayton Jordan, Jr. (1906-1992) married Jennie Lewis Reams (1906-1965), daughter of Henry Reams (1861-1917) and Mary Elizabeth (Molly) Fleming (1863-1935). Albert and Jennie Jordan had two children: Albert Drayton Jordan, III who married Helen Jane Taylor and Jenalice Jordan who married first, Frank T. Marlin and second, Jack A. Ramsey.
Albert Drayton Jordan, III (1927-1994) and Helen Taylor Jordan, daughter of Everette R. and Helen Harsh Taylor had five children: William Taylor (Bill) who married Lisa Allen; Albert Drayton, IV (1956-1991); Edward Reams who married Laura Fink but divorced; Julia Veretta who married James James; and Debra Jane who married Tony Carver. Bill and Lisa Jordan have William Taylor, II and Heather. Julia had Jason and Jeremy from a previous marriage but they were adopted by James James. Debra has a daughter, Melissa Jordan, from a previous marriage.
Fred Thompson Kinnard (1896-1981) and the former James Thomas Anderson (1901-1980), or "Miss Jimmie" as she was better known, were married in 1919 and lived in the Lavender house near the depot in Thompson's Station until they moved to Franklin about 1974.
The Kinnards had three children: Margaret Elizabeth who married Thomas E. McLaughlin, Walter Cannon who married Wilma Jean Dodds and Anna McKay who died at the age of 25. There were nine grandchildren: David C. Kinnard, Linda Louise Kinnard, Sarah Jeanne Kinnard, all of St. Louis; Peggy Horner, Tom McLaughlin, Jr., Kinnard McLaughlin, Jim McLaughlin, Fred McLaughlin and George McLaughlin of Nashville, Tennessee.
Fred Thomas Kinnard's parents were David Cannon Kinnard (1851-1881) of Maury County and the former Anna Elizabeth McKay (1858-1902), daughter of Richard A. McKay and the former Eliza Jennings, also of Maury County
David Cannon Kinnard's parents were Richard Ogilvie Kinnard (1826-1895) and the former Elizabeth Buford (1826-1902), all of Maury County.
David and Anna Elizabeth Kinnard had seven childrn, William Richard (1882-1940), Robert McKay (1885-1902), David Cannon, Jr. (1888-1938), Charlie Ashley (1890-1894), Thomas Jefferson (1893-1975), Fred Thompson (1896-1981) and George A. (1900-1995).
Miss Jimmie's parents were Walter Anderson (1868-1958) and the former Bettie Jane Bond (1869-1950). Their children were: Margaret (b. 1896), Bessie Lorma (b. 1898), James Thomas (b. 1901) who married Fred Thompson Kinnard, Rachel Bond (b. 1904), Thomas Page (b. 1906), Walter Bond (b. 1909), Mary Frances (b. 1911) who married Thomas J. Mays and Brownie Blythe (b. 1916) who married Mark Libby Puryear.They were members of the Presbyterian church.
Her paternal grandparents were Thomas Page Anderson (1813-1884) and the former Mary Frances Cowles (1832-1884). The Tom Anderson Road off Lewisburg Pike is where their land was located. Her maternal grandparents were Cicero Columbus Bond (1814-1886) and the former Rachel Blythe Chriesman (1840-1877). This was a prominent Bethesda family.
The Fred Kinnards were active in the Thompson's Station Methodist Church where Fred served for years on the Board of Stewards before he was made lay leader of the charge, which also includes the congregations at Burwood and Cowles Chapel. Jimmie was a member of the Thompson's Station Home Demonstration Club and the Woman's Society of Christian Service and teacher of a teenage class in Sunday School. She was supervisor of the hot lunch program for the school children of Williamson County for many years.
There are no "L" sirnames listed.
Return To Thompson's Station Main Page
Return To Williamson County Home Page
This page updated October 14, 2010.