The following Family Histories have been taken from the book by Sue Oden titled "Hold Us Not Boastful - History of Thompson's Station, TN." This biographical collection includes 86 histories of pioneer families of Thompson's Station and Southern Williamson County. The stories are about families who are proud of their roots and their place in history. We hope that you will be able to connect your roots with ours, and become part of us
If you are just beginning your search, this will be a good place to start.
Please note the following:
"The correctness of this biographical material cannot be guaranteed. It was obtained through interviews with family members, research they had done and my own research at the Williamson County Archives. Research in such detail is always subject to error. Everyone must validate the facts for their own use."
Individual Family Histories are found on the following pages:
A B C D E/F/G H/I/J/K/L M/N/O
P/Q R S/T U/V/W/X/Y/Z
The lovely old home on Buckner Road, now called "Maplelawn", was built in 1815. This was the home of Thomas Cash who was born December 15, 1780 and died March 8, 1829. He is buried in the Cash-Banks Cemetery which was on the original land on Buckner Road, although some tombstone dates have become illegible. Thomas Cash left at least two children, Louisiana Dozier Cash (1805-1884) and Thomas W. Cash.
Louisiana married Dr. James Mason Banks on June 1, 1820 when she was fifteen years old and he was twenty-one. When he died, she married John McDaniel Reid on March 2, 1837; but, divorced him on May 7, 1838. After the divorce both Louisiana and the daughter she had by him took back the Banks name. The child, Frances Cornelia Reid (Banks), married John C. Redman in 1861.
Thomas W. Cash married Virginia Dudley, daughter of Col. Gilford Dudley and the former Anna Bland Eaton, daughter of General Thomas Eaton of North Carolina.
Maplelawn was home to many families through the years, including the Redman and Gary families. More recently, it was the home of Pat Moore, now of Franklin.
Abram and Willie Mai Church represented one of the most interesting couples in Thompson's Station. They lived more places and did more things than just about anyone else.
Thomas Church (Abram's fifth great grandfather) came to Tennessee in 1800-1805 from North Carolina and settled on the head of Lick Creek in Williamson County. In 1815, he bought 543 acres of land lying on both sides of the Duck River in what is now the community of Shady Grove in Hickman County. He was one of the first settlers in the area.
It was in the Shady Grove community that Abram Church was born December 18, 1901. He was raised in a large family of eight boys and four girls: Henry Brown, William Maurice, Marvin Emery, Lula Pearl, Elmyra Blanche, Robert Haden, Samuel Bond, George Herbert, Mary Odell, Abram Baker, Elmer Richie and Martha Elizabeth. His parents were Abraham George Church and the former Mary Savantha White.
His paternal grandparents were George Brown Church and the former Alica Baker. His maternal grandparents were Cherry Jenkins White and the former Mary Charlotte Miller. Cherry Jenkins White was in Co. E 48th Tennessee and 54th Tennessee Infantry and fought at the Battle of Franklin in 1864.
In 1905, at the age of five, Abram Church moved with his family to Williamson County, starting school at West End, a two-room school building at Burwood. His first teacher was Fannie Barker.
Willie Mai Southall was born December 12, 1898 at Williamsport in Maury County. Her parents were Gustava Beauguard Southall and the former Rebecca Ann Anderson. She had one sister and three brothers: James Oliver, Thomas Scott, Annie Maude and Augusta Dayton.
Her paternal grandparents were William Albert Southall and the former Sara Ann Natala Scott. Her maternal grandparents were William Thomas Anderson and the former Mary Jane Satterfield.
Willie Mai's first three years of school were at a subscription school. A vacant house on her parents' farm was used as the school building. Her father found a teacher, Sue Cathy, to teach his own and his neighbors' children. Each family paid a fee for their children to attend the school.
In 1918, the family moved to Williamson County and Willie Mai attended the Tennessee Normal Business College (later Middle Tennessee State University) for two years. On Sunday afternoons, she got on the train at Thompson's Station, rode to Nashville, transferred trains and proceeded on to Murfreesboro.
In 1922 a tornado hit Willie Mai's family home on Casey Springs Road. There were several young people playing cards upstairs. When they realized the roaring they heard was not a train, they ran downstairs where Mrs. Southall shouted at them to grab a door. Joe Greer Nichols got down on the floor and started praying. Mrs. Southall said, "It's too late for that. Grab a door!"
After the storm had passed, there was only one room of the house that had a roof. Because of the devastation of the storm to the Southall family, Willie Mai's father, Gus Southall, could no longer afford college for his daughter. She taught school in 1921 at Water Valley in Maury County and in 1922 at Twomey in Hickman County.
By this time, Abram Church was working at Akin's store in Burwood with Carl Dodd. Abram told Carl about the Southall family which had just moved into the community with two girls. He suggested they pay them a visit; however, Carl already had plans to visit another young lady new to the area, Ruby Riggin.
Not to be outdone, Abram asked his sister, Odell, to pay the visit with him. When they were in the buggy on the way home, Odell asked Abram what he thought of the Southall girl. Abram replied, "I'm going to marry that girl someday."
On December 9, 1923, Abram Church and Willie Mai Southall were married at the home of Zack Beasley, a justice of the peace. Abram's brother and sister-in-law (Samuel Bond and Mamie Church) attended the couple.
After living with Abram's mother for a short time, they lived with Dr. and Mrs. Hiram Laws. While living here, Abram rented the Ben Alexander farm in 1925-26. In 1927 he rented the Joe Waters farm. Then they moved to Willie Mai's homeplace on Cayce Springs Road. While living here Abram rented the Will Martin farm and in 1930 moved to the Dave Crawford farm on Dean Road.
From 1932 until 1937, they lived at the Harrison House on Columbia Pike, at the same time renting the Dan Riley farm on Hen Peck Lane. Then came the Boxley place, now owned by the Timmons, on West Harpeth Road and then the old House farm at Garrison on the Natchez Trace.
In 1940, the Churches moved to the Will Owen farm on Blazer Road at Bingham, at the same time renting the Jim Short place on Boyd Mill Pike. In 1941, it was to the old Ed Buckner farm on Buckner Road in Thompson's Station, now the Campbell L. Haffner place. At the time, there were 800 acres in this farm.
It was here that Wiley Dolfus Roseberry, Jr., a little boy of ten or eleven years of age came to join the Churches' own children, Reba Jewel, Mary Anne and Abram Baker, Jr.
W. D., as he was called, had lived with first one and then another. He had visited Abram's family and on one occasion had remarked how he longed for a permanent home. Abram asked the boy if he would like to live with them. The boy eagerly accepted and was welcomed as another child. It was also here that Mary Anne married Hugh Clinton Buckner.
In 1944, the Churches moved to the Charlie Gray farm at Bingham, also again running the James Short farm. It was here that Abram's mother died. She had made her home with them for 12 years. It was also here that Reba Jewel married Robert Young Schmidt.
In 1947, the Churches bought the old Carl farm on Carl Road. At the time, it belonged to the Coley Sawyers family. They lived here for thirty years, during which time A. B., Jr. married Marguriette Pratt and W. D. Roseberry, Jr. married Edna Mai Deal, daughter of Glen Deal. Mrs. Church's mother died while they were here, after living with them for several years.
W. D. and Edna Mai Roseberry, Jr. had a son, W. D. Roseberry, III who born in 1954 and died in January of 1996. W. D. Roseberry, III had a son, Chad Roseberry.
A poignant end to W. D.'s story came on July 28, 1953, when he was killed in action in the Korean War.
In 1976, the Churches sold their Carl Road farm to several people. Robin Beard bought the house and several acres. Other tracts went to Flip Carouthers, Otis Layhew and George Sloan.
Mr. and Mrs. Church bought the James M. Taft home (the old Gus Watson place) in Thompson's Station across the street from the new post office where Mr. Church lives at the present time. Mrs. Church passed away January 2, 1994 at the age of ninety-five years of age and is buried in the Burwood Cemetery.
The Coleman family came to Thompson's Station in more recent years, however, their influence on the community has been substantial. David Coleman was the town's first mayor, elected by a majority of the resident's votes in 1990. Joe Coleman owns the Thompson's Station Grocery where Tom Coleman helps out on a part time basis.
George Thomas Coleman (1884-1956) was born in Pittsylvania County, Virginia and died in Nashville, Tennessee. His parents were Charles Lee Coleman (1865-1941) and Sara Dillard Coleman (1869-1918). Charles Lee was born in Virginia and died in Detroit, Michigan. Sara Dillard Coleman was born in Virginia and died in Clarksville, Tennessee.
George Thomas Coleman married Lucy Odell Felts (1886-1969) who was born in Clarksville, Tennessee and died in Nashville, Tennessee. Lucy was the daughter of Samuel Watson Felts (1852-1922), who was born in North Carolina and died in Clarksville, Tennessee, and the former Emma Elizabeth Farrell (1865-1945) who was born in Nashville, Tennessee and died in Paris, Tennessee.
George Thomas and Lucy Odell Felts Coleman had three children: Thomas Henry Coleman (1918-1880) who was born in Clarksville, Tennessee and died in Nashville, Tennessee; Cora Lee Coleman; and, Elizabeth Coleman.
Thomas Henry Coleman married Frances Leath Turner (1919-1987), daughter of Hal Tubbs Turner (1898-1967) and the former Alva Estes Smith. Hal Tubbs Turner was born in Dowelltown, Tennessee, died in Nashville and buried in the DeKalb City Cemetery in DeKalb County, Tennessee. Alva Estes Smith was born in 1898 in Liberty, Tennessee, died in Nashville, Tennessee and is also buried in the DeKalb City Cemetery. Hal Tubbs Turner was the son of John Francis Turner and the former Lura Leath Haskins. Alva Estes Smith was the daughter of Dillard Smith and the former Belle Lamberson who died in 1910. Frances Leath Turner Coleman married Jason R. Phillips after her first husband died. She had two brothers, William Smith Turner and Robert Hal Turner.
Thomas Henry and Frances Leath Turner Coleman had five children: Thomas Hal Coleman who married Marilyn Lancaster and had Amy Colleen who married Theodore Sbardella and Kathleen Alaine who married Skjell Andrew Baum; Bonnie Elizabeth Coleman who married Warren Alvin Coleman, Jr. and had Pete and Russell Coleman; David Lee Coleman who married Paulette Ann Deaton and had David Mark Coleman and Leanne Michelle Coleman who married Robert S. Brent; William Robert Coleman who married Beverly Gary and had Bobby Coleman who married Laura Ashley and Christie Coleman who married T. Kevin Connell; and, Joseph Turner Coleman who married Carol Louise Stockman and had Joseph Bradley Coleman and Ashley Ann Coleman.
James White Crawford (1818-1889) married Martha Jane Patton (1822-1863), daughter of Tristram Patton (1767-1855) and his wife, Susannah, and had the following children: Augusta (ca 1844-1914); John Tristram (ca 1846-1864); Sallie Josephine (1849-1864); Mary A. (ca 1856- ?); Susie C. (1858-1934) who married a Kinnard; Adelia Harriett (1860-1903); and Martha or Mattie (1863-1913) as she was called, who married James Thomas Dean.
Martha Jane Patton Crawford died near the time her last child, Martha, was born and her husband then married Sarah J. (1827-1902), last name unknown. At least one child was born to them, David Thomas Crawford who married Ola Trimble of Ripley, Tennessee.
David and Ola Crawford had a daughter, Ola Aimee, who married William Townsend (Billy) Williams. This family is discussed more fully in the Williams family narrative.
Another complicated family union occurred with the Critz and Drake marriages. Jacob Critz (1757-1829) was born in Virginia and married Mary (1763-1843), last name unknown. They had come to Tennessee in the late 1820s and built a home at the present 1830 Evergreen Road address by the mid-1830s. It is now owned by Alex Lazenby.
Their son, Jacob Critz, Jr., was also born in Virginia about 1794 and married Lila Tennessee Drake July 25, 1825. She was the daughter of Zachariah and Rhoda Neely Drake. Records in the Williamson County Archives show children of this couple were: Zachariah who married Mary E. Drake, daughter of Andrew and Caoline McCartney Drake, (she as his second wife) on October 1, 1855; Mary E.; Susan Eugene who married Juan O. Rucker; Rhoda Ann who married Isaac S. House; John M. who married Emma McGann and Thomas Leanard who married Julia Ridley. The unusual spelling of "Leanard" instead of "Leonard" was found in old records at the Williamson County Archives. Also listed in this household in the 1850 census was Mary A. Critz and Amanda Critz. There may have also been James A. Critz. Jacob Critz, Jr. died in April of 1871.
Zachariah and Mary E. Drake Critz had at least two children: Edward (1850-1854) and Mary Critz (1852-1871). Zachariah died in 1867.
Thomas Leanard Critz (1842-1910) and the former Julia Franklin Ridley (1846-1924) were married August 30, 1865 and had eight children: John Jacob Critz (1866-1946), Lillie Mai Critz (1869-1946), Thomas Leanard Critz, Jr. (1874- ?), Boyd Ridley Critz (1872-1947), Juliette Boyd Critz (1878-1949), Mack Annie Critz (1876-1943), Clifford Lee Critz and Sallie Ridley Critz (1884-1973).
An article in the Who's Who Column of The Review Appeal dated November 30, 1944, highlighting the achievements of Boyd Ridley Critz, who was 72 years old at the time, describes his early life with his family.
He was brought up in the depression years and remembers selling corn at 90 cents a barrel delivered at the Thompson's Station train depot. Hogs often sold for two and a half cents a pound. They went to the field to work in the dark and came home in the evening in the dark.
Mr. Critz received his early education in a little school near the Critz home and later at Thompson's Station where several teachers conducted a flourishing school.
He married Mable Creath, the wedding taking place in the home of her sister, Mrs. John B. Ridley. They started their life together on the Robert Kittrell farm on Buckner Lane. The next year they moved to the C. K. McLemore farm and then to the place known as the Jack Watson home called "The Willows". The home was called Valley View Farm during the Critz residency.
The house was damaged in 1921 when a tornado took away the second floor of the house and damaged the first floor. The family lived in tents on the lawn during the remodeling of the house which consisted of six rooms all on one floor.
The family's place of worship, Bethel Methodist Church, was also destroyed during the tornado and at that time they transferred to Thompson's Station Methodist Church where Mr. Critz's grandfather, John Boyd Ridley, was a prominent member.
Boyd and Mable Critz had the following children: Ruth Critz, who married Robert Stewart and had a daughter Jean Stewart; Boyd Ridley Critz, Jr., who married Marion Archer of Richmond, Virginia and had Boyd Ridley Critz, III and Trainer Archer Ridley Critz; and Irene, Frances and Julia F. Critz.
Return To Thompson's Station Main Page
Return To Williamson County Home Page
This page updated October 14, 2010.