ABRAMS, OTIS McKINLEY (MACK), (1894-1980) was born in Gillises Mills, Hardin Co., Tennessee, the son of George Dougal Abrams and Hettie Falls Abrams. He attended school there and on finishing high school taught briefly. At the onset of World War I, on 12 Nov 1917, he enlisted in the army at Waynesboro , TN and was sent to Camp Gordon, GA for training. He was assigned to Company A, 1st Battalion, 307th Engineer Regiment of the 82nd Army Division. The Regiment was sent to France on 19 May 1918. As far as I know, Mack was not involved in combat, but was in the area where the Germans were shelling in the Toul Sector from 25 June to 10 Aug. 1918, Marbache Sector from 17 Aug. to 11 Sept. 1918 , St. Mihiel Operation Sept. 12-16 and the Meuse Argonne Offensive from 26 Sept. to 3 Oct. 1918. Company A spent most of the time repairing roads, building bridges, concrete pill boxes and shelters and digging foxholes and trenches. On 10 October 1918 the company took over a captured German railroad north of Varennes and operated it in supply service, delivering rations, forage and artillery ammunition to Apremont, Chehery and Cornay for a period of about 2 weeks. Mack came down with malaria while in France and spent time in a French hospital in the village of Bar-le-duc near the town of Nancy. The French doctors cured the malaria and he never had a recurrance. On 15 April 1919 the regiment left France and returned home. Mack was discharged on 21 May 1919 and returned to Waynesboro, TN where his parents lived.

In the fall of 1919 Mack went West - first to the wheat harvest in Kansas and then to Oklahoma. In Shawnee, Oklahoma he got a job with the Santa Fe Railroad as a locomotive fireman on the local switch engine. In 1927 he went back to Tennessee on vacation and while visiting relatives in Lawrenceburg met Lerlie Lee Powell, daughter of Jacob Marion Powell and Nancy Bassham. When Mack returned to Oklahoma, he and Lerlie corresponded by mail for a period of 2 months writing almost daily letters. In April 1927 he went back to Lawrenceburg and proposed marriage. She accepted and they were married 11 April 1927 and spent their honeymoon on the trip back to Oklahoma in Mack's Model T Ford.

Their first child, Mary Carolyn, was born in 1928 followed by Herbert Victor in 1930. Mack and family moved to Cushing, Oklahoma sometime between 1930 and 1935 when Mack got bumped from his job in Shawnee. A second daughter, Anita Jean, arrived in 1935. Shortly thereafter the family moved back to Shawnee where they stayed until 1939. Mack had been promoted to Engineer and was low man in seniority in that position so he got bumped again. This time the family moved to Purcell, Oklahoma in 1939. Purcell was not as large as Shawnee and at first they hated it, but over the years they grew to love the little town and the many friends that they made there. In 1941 a second son, Donald Mack, arrived followed by Gary Wayne in 1943. Mack worked seven days a week to support the family and put all three sons through college.

Mack retired in 1965 after 44 years of service with the Santa Fe Railroad. He enjoyed his retirement years and stayed active well into his 80's. He died on 5 August 1980 and was buried at the Purcell Hillside Cemetery with full military honors.

Submitted by Herb Abrams

Return To Index

ANDREWS, JOHN HENRY, born 26 January 1891, died 2 January 1966, buried Bethlehem Cemetery, Wayne County, Tennessee. He was the son of Dave ANDREWS (1862-1952) and Sally MELSON ANDREWS. John Henry married Della ROBERTS on 11 Nov 1917, by J. M. WISDOM. She was born 27 July 1895. They had no children. They belonged to and were faithful members of the Bethlehem Baptist Church, California Branch, Wayne County, Tennessee. They lived close to the church. John Henry was a farmer. His siblings were Charles E. ANDREWS, Maggie ANDREWS KELLY, Mae ANDREWS GRAY and Bertha ANDREWS TODD.

Return To Index

AYERS, CHARLES S., PFC, 137 Infantry, 35th Division.
Charles S. AyersCharles S. AYERS was born at Martins Mills, Wayne County, Tennessee on 27 December 1894. He was inducted into the Army, 28 May 1918 and served from 18 July 1918 to 23 April 1919. He was discharged 12 May 1919.

He married Madgie HORTONon 8 April 1923. They had seven children: Ralph AYERS, Lesbue A. HOWELL, Lorene A. PIGG, Hazel A. CASTEEL, Ross AYERS, Faye A. MELSON and Susie A. LONG.

He died 12 August 1986 at the age of 92.

Return To Index

BALENTINE, THOMAS GREEN, was born in Wayne County, Tennessee
Thomas Green Balentineon 6 February 1897. He was killed by Thomas MARTIN
on 5 July 1919 after his discharge from the army.
He was the son of Richard Huston BALENTINE Jr.
and Betty Jenny DULIN BALENTINE.
Thomas Green BALENTINE is buried at
Balentine Cemetery, near Cypress Inn,
Wayne County, Tennessee

Return To Index

BEATTY, JOHN M., born January 1892, Rt. 2, Topsy, TN. He was the son of Moses J. BEATTY who is buried at Banks Cem. Lewis Co., TN and Annie B. According to available census records, he had siblings: Sarah R. and Florence A. He was inducted at Waynesboro, TN.

Additional information and photograph submitted by Barbara Higdon

Information that I have.  John was the son of Tennessee V. Casinger and Moses Joshua Beatty, Sr.  Florence A. is also child of Tennessee and Moses.  This was Moses' second marriage. TN Marriages 1851 - 1900
BEATY, M. J.   Spouse: CASINGER, TENNESSEE  Marriage Date: 10 Dec 1889   County: Wayne State: TN

This is where I believe Tennessee to be buried.  There was also a Daniel with no dates and it made me wonder if she may have died in childbirth. Wood Cemetery Centertown, Warren County, Tennessee
Beaty, Tennessee, (no dates)
Beaty, Daniel, (no dates)

Moses married a third time to Annie Buckelew but there was no children born to that marriage.
  Spouse: BUCKELEW, E. A.
  Marriage Date: 5 Jun 1900
  County: Wayne State: TN

Moses first marriage was to Margaret Caldonia Himes (February 12, 1862 in Lewis County).  Children born to that marriage were:
James Daniel Beatty
Moses Joshua Beatty, Jr.
Lasora Beatty
Sarah Francis Beatty
Mary L. Beatty
Monroe Beatty

Tennessee's parents were Sarah Ann Whitehead and Ezekiel Kesner.  The Casinger  / Kesner gets confusing depends on which census you see.  I think most in this area use the Kesner name.

Moses, Sr. parents were Francis Priest and James Beatty.  James was from Ireland.
Williamson County
Beaty Preast, James Fanny
  Spouse: Beaty, James
Preast, Fanny Marriage Date: 04 Nov 1813

Return To Index

BECKHAM, IVY F. was born 4 February 1895 in Hill County, Texas, he died 10 February 1949 Ivy F. Beckhamat Pinhook, Wayne Co., Tennessee. He was the son of John Finley BECKHAM (3 Nov 1864 - 24 Sept 1928) and Mary C. BECKHAM (30 Jan 1870 - 13 Jan 1927). Ivy married Lorene HOUSE of Lutts, Tennessee in 1923.

Ivy BECKHAM was inducted on 27 June 1918 at Florence, Alabama and served as a corporal in the American Expeditionary Forces in France and Germany from 8 Sep 1918 until 31 Oct 1919. He was discharged on 14 Nov 1919 at Camp Gordon, Georgia. According to his discharge he was a mail carrier at the time of his induction. He was described as having blue eyes, dark hair, light complexion and was five feet, eleven inches tall.

According to a story told by Ivy BECKHAM, he was in charge of a group of Chinese soldiers and had to take them back to China aboard a cattle train. This resulted in him returning to Wayne County much later than others.

After being discharged in 1919, Ivey Finn came back to Wayne County and from 1921 to 1922 he served as a Star Route Mail Carrier, his route being from Lutts to Collinwood. In 1923, he became a truck driver and substitute mail carrier on Rural Route No. 2. In 1932, he and Lorene purchased her father, John HOUSE's General Store which they operated until the time of his death in 1949. Ivy and Lorene had three daughters: Geraldine, Sue and Laura Jo.

Return To Index

BECKHAM, J. LYNN, PVT, ASN: 558139, SATC Ala. Poly Institute, Auburn, AL. Enlisted 23 Oct 1918, Florence, AL, discharged 9 Dec 1918, Auburn, AL. Born 9 May 1897, Indian Creek, Wayne Co., TN, died 15 Nov 1968, Waynesboro, TN. Son of John Finley BECKHAM (3 Nov 1864 - 24 Sep 1928) and Mary C. BECKHAM (30 Jan 1870 - 13 Jan 1927). Married Karen MELSON, 31 Oct 1920, Waynesboro, TN. Two children, James M. BECKHAM and Thomas E. BECKHAM. Occupation: hauled freight from Allens Creek to Waynesboro, later worked as mechanic for Hassell & Hughes Ford, Yeiser Bro. Chevrolet, Jack Yeiser Chevrolet, Savannah, TN and Waynesboro. In 1939 went into business for self. Secured International Harvester Co. Dealership to sell farm machinery; active in dealership until death in 1968.

Return To Index

BECKHAM, RICHARD was a native of Wayne County, the son of W. I. and Mary SHULL BECKHAM. His home for most of his life was in the Houston community, later years were spent neary Waynesboro on Highway 64 West, a couple of miles from the county seat. He was the grandson of Thomas and Sarah McMULLEN BECKHAM, both natives of the county and of the Houston community. He and his wife, the former Dee Hazel MURPHY, were the parents of Frankie BECKHAM, now Mrs. Milburn SIMS, and Billie Jo, now Mrs. Charles GALLOWAY, both of Waynesboro.

Mr. BECKHAM had two sisters, Sue (Mrs. Hubert BURNS of Lutts, and Mae, Mrs. Maynard MELSON of Zip City, Alabama. He had six brothers: Alvin, Hooper, Hugh, Jack and Joe, all of Lutts, and Tom Frank of Savannah, TN. Two other brothers, Mack and Marvin, died early in life.

Mr. BECKHAM served as an enlisted man in the United States Army, being inducted into the service at age 22, as a member of the 316th Quartermaster Corps at Ft. Oglethorpe, GA, and honorably discharged at the cessation of hostilities. He served from 24 June 1918 to 21 June 1919. Entering the service, he traveled from Clifton by riverboat to Fort Oglethorpe, before leaving Clifton, he had spent the night in the home of Mrs. Marietta HARTWELL on the banks of the Tennessee River. The end of the war cancelled his orders for overseas duty in a few day. Besides his daughters, he is survived bu a granddaughter, Janice (SIMS) COLE, of Franklin, TN and two great-grandchildren: Matthew Ian COLE and Rachel Leigh COLE, also of Franklin.

Mr. BECKHAM was born at Houston, Tennessee December 28, 1895, and died at Thayer Veterans Hospital after a long illness, April 13, 1962.

Return To Index

BERRY, JESSE, Pvt. C.O. 1st Div, BN, Camp Severe, GA. born Aug 1892, Wayne Co., TN, son of Joseph W. and Nellie Barkley DULIN BERRY. He enlisted on 10 June 1918 at Waynesboro, TN and was 25 yeas old, was a farmer, had blue eyes, dark brown hair, ruddy complexion and was 5'10" tall. Was discharged 25 Jan 1919 at Fort Oglethorpe, GA. Soldier was single at time of service. Soldier had siblings: Robert L. BERRY, Charlie BERRY, John T. BERRY, Marshall BERRY, Irvin BERRY, and Gracie BERRY who married F. B. CHAMBERS.

Return To Index

BLESSING, CHARLES M. born September 1896, son of Baile and Lizzie C. BLESSING. Siblings: Georgie Frances and William M. He was living in the 4th Civil District in the 1900 census of Wayne Co., TN. No information on service available.

Return To Index

BOSWELL, CARL, born 20 Aug 1897, on Indian Creek, Wayne Co., TN. He was the son of William Jasper BOSWELL and Sarah Elizabeth DAVIS. He died 19 February 1987 at Alvin C. YORK VA Hospital, Murfreesboro, Tennessee. He was inducted October 1918 and served in Co. A, 383rd Infantry, 96th Division, Serial No. 32-54-386. He was discharged in December 1918. He married Miss Vida LANGFORD of Collinwood on 16 December 1923. Their children are Lina Gene, Carl Jr., William Rex, and Neal Stanley.

Return To Index

BRADLEY, HERMAN C. Cpl. Camp HDQ Det. WWI, was born 23 Nov 1894, the son of James and Fannie A. BRADLEY. He died 14 Dec 1953 and was buried at Pleasant Springs (Railroad) Cemetery, Wayne Co., TN. No other information available.

Return To Index

BRATCHER, MACK F. Mech., Hdq. Detach. 10 Rec. BN, 157 DB. Enlisted at Waynesboro, TN on 13 Dec 1917, discharged 30 April 1919, Camp Gordon, GA. At enlistment soldier was 23 years 6 months old, and by occupation was a farmer. He was 6'" tall, had blue eyes, light brown hair and had a dark complexion. Mack was born 5 June 1894 at Pleasant Valley, Wayne County, Tennessee and was the son of Anthony Wayne and Martha E. HAYS BRATCHER. He died 18 June 1971 and was buried at Oak Grove Cemetery, Wayne Co., TN. Mack never married.

Return To Index

BRATCHER, WILLIAM RICHARD (DICK), PFC, Co. M, 117th Inf. SN: 1309.706. He was born August 1893, Pleasant Valley, Wayne County, Tennessee, the son of Anthony Wayne and Martha E. HAYS BRATCHER. He married first about 1916 to Florence BREWER (21/24 Jan 1899 - 8 Feb 1920), daughter of John V. and Sallie B. BROWN BREWER. He married second abt. 1925 to Clarissa WILSON, daughter of daughter of Wesley and Amanda WHITTEN WILSON. They did not have any children.

Dick was inducted on 2 Oct 1917 at Waynesboro, Tennessee. He was 25 years old and by occupation a farmer. He was described as 5"9, ruddy complexion, blue eyes, and brown hair. He was discharged at Fort Oglethorpe GA on 16 April 1919. During the War he served in Belgium and France and was in several major battles of the war: on the Hindenburg Line near Bbell Court and Neurox France from 29 to 30 Sep 1918, Foucheaux and Geneva France 7 Oct 1918, and others. Dick died in the 1970's and is buried at Railroad Cemetery, Wayne County, Tennessee. His wife, Clarissa is still living and is a resident of the Wayne County Nursing Home, Waynesboro, Tennessee.

Return To Index

BREWER, DAN, Serial Number 1,098,890 W, was born 1893 on Allens Creek, Wayne County, Tennessee. He was 24 years old at the time of his induction on 8 May 1917. He was discharged 3 July 1919. He was inducted at Fort Oglethorpe, GA and served in the 117 Infantry until 20 June 1917. He was transferred to the 136 Infantry and was sent overseas 3 August 1918 and served in Europe until 27 June 1919. Highest rank held was corporal. Dan married Nancy McCLAIN.

Return To Index

BREWER, HARLEY H. wasborn on Allens Creek, Wayne County, Tennessee and was 23 years and 3 months old at induction on 27 April 1918 at Hohenwald, TN. He served as a private, 156 Dep. Brig. until 25 May 1918, and Battery E., 317 Field Artillery in Europe from 7 August 1918 to 8 June 1919. He was discharged 15 June 1919.

Return To Index

BREWER, HARVEY, Cpt. Co. 4, 306 Supply Train, 81st Div. Quartermaster Corps. Inducted Harvey Brewer20 Nov 1917, Waynesboro, TN. Promoted to Corporal 1 July 1918. Was in the Meuse Argonne Offensive 9 - 11 Nov 1918, and at St. Die Sector, 20 Sep - 23 Oct 1918. Discharged 30 June 1919. Soldier was born at Cyclone, Wayne Co., TN on 27 January 1894 and died 28 Nov. 1970. He was the son of Wiley Valentine BREWER and Sarah Frances SMITH. He married Myrtle McGEE on 25 Dec 1913.and had son Lucas Earl BREWER and one grandson, Michael Earl BREWER. Harvey lived all his adult life in the Collinwood, McGlamery area.

Harvey departed Wayne County by train from Allens Creek and returned to Collinwood by train. While in the US he was stationed in South Carolina (Ft. Jackson) (Campt Greenville) in the area of Spartenburg, Greenville and Columbia.

He boarded ship in New York City and sailed to Cherbourg, France. While in France he was at Chatillon-sur-Seine & Chaumont on the battle front. He departed France from LeHarve. He served as a truck driver and transported supplies and food to the front lines.

His siblings wee James P. BREWER, William Henry BREWER, Wiley Franklin BREWER, Joe Millard BREWER, Charlie BREWER, Samuel S. BREWER, Daniel Proctor BREWER, Sophrona Bell BREWER STRICKLIN, Flora Ethel BREWER STRICKLIN, Permelia Frances BREWER ARNETT WISDOM, Carrie Lettie V. BREWER WALL.

His grandparents were Henry G. and Permelia RISNER BREWER and Rev. Sameul T. and Frances DAVIS SMITH.

The following letter was written by Harvey BREWER while he was stationed at Camp Sevier, SC and was published in the Wayne County Pilot, published at Collinwood, 8 Aug 1918.



Come Along Boys And Help To Bring to the World Peace with honor.

Camp Sevier, S.C., July 19, 1918

Eight months ago, this morning, I left home for camp, bidding father, mother, wife, brothers, sisters, relatives and friends goodbye, leaving other broken hearts as well as my own. I made the start; the last sight of the home was of the homefolks in the front yard waving goodbye. Not having any idea what camp and military life was, I was fearing the arrival in camp, but thank God, it was a happy surprise when I got there. Everyone seemed to be enjoying himseld. Now I have been in the army eight months and each day I like it better. On the start, when everyone named France, I would almost sink right there, but that's got familiar now. Expecting, myself, to be over there in thirty days, I don't worry in the least. Just think what our boys are doing now! The morning paper says taht they are advancing so fast they had to put in the cavalry to keep up with them. Who is it that doesn't want to go and see the world's greatest victory won? It's going to be won soon and who will win it? The boys of the U.S.A. We have not got started yet, but I think the Kaiser thinks we have. Wait until we got two or three million men over there (If the Germans last that long) then we will slash out a home run, planting "Old Glory" in Berlin, and taking the Kaiser's scalp for a souvenir. Of course it's going to cost lots of lives; but how many Germans have died without any hopes of victory? Still I feel assured of coming back and enjoying the next Fourth of July at dear old Collinwood, the most dealy loved place in the world for me.

The song of all the boys is "What a Time We'll Have Wehn We Get Back Home." The boys are all gone to the rifle range today but me, I am laid up with a sore arm caused from vaccination, so I had to stay in. I have never an army rifle. My organization, (the supply train) does not require much drill of that kind, while it's the most important branch of the service. You know the boys at the front have got to have supplies daily if they keep up their good work, So the different branches have different work, and it all put together makes the complete outfit. So come along bous, when you are called and help to bring to the world the rights of Jesus Christ. Let your name be among those in the world's greatest history. Think of the boys that are already gone! Do you think yourself any better to go than they were? I left an aged father and mother - a mother who has been unable to care for herself for three and a half years - and first and last, my wife, the sunshine of my life - I am leaving her.

Now boys if you are physically disabled, or have dependents that will exempt you, buy Liberty Bonds and War Savings Stamps for the sake of your beloved country. In that way you can help your friend or brother who is fighting for you. Will you do this, or will you stand back and say, "I've nothing or say in it? May God help you to open you eyes and heart!CORP. HARVEY BREWER, Division Supply Train 306, Truck Co. 4, Camp Sevier, S.C.

Return To Index

BREWER, JOHN LEE, Pvt. Service Number 4,297,09210, Service: Provisional Battalion, Ft. Benjamin Harrison, IN, from Induction to 16 Sep 1918. Co. F, 118 Engineers to 7 November 1918, Co. B, 118 Engineers to 8 Dec 1918. 140 Co. TC to 18 April 1918, 41 Co. TC to discharge. Pvt. OC 7 Oct 1918 to 16 Jan 1919. Discharged 24 June 1919.

John Lee BREWER was born 1 March 1894 at Aetna. He was the son of Wiley BREWER, b. July 1850 and Ida A CYPERT, b. April 1876. He lived at Allens Creek in 1900, 6th Civil District of Wayne County, Tennessee. He had sister: Loretta, b. March 1899, and half-sister, Katie G., b. July 1888. John Lee BREWER'S mother was the daughter of Robert P. and Pantha E. MEEK CYPERT of Waynesboro.

Return To Index

BREWER, JOHN WALKER, was born 16 January 1893 on Shawnettee Creek, Wayne County, Tennessee. His parents were James Lewis Calvin BREWER "Jim Boy" and Mary Elizabeth RINKS. His grandparents were Henry B. BREWER (a "High" Sheriff of Wayne County), and Permelia RISNER BREWER; James Henry RINKS and Martha Jane MORRISON RINKS. John Walker BREWER was one of twelve children. A brother, Hershel, lives in Birmingham, Alabama. His only half sister, Tela BREWER MOORE, lives in Lawrenceburg.

John was inducted into service in Hardin County, Tennessee probably while "farming out" as he usually lived in Wayne County. He entered service on 26 October 1917, and served until 14 March 1919 when he received an honorable discharge.

Gladys Delora GRIGGS and John Walker BREWER were married on 24 September 1925 in Giles County, Tennessee. They had two children. John Edward BREWER was born on 29 March 1933, married Betty Fay HELTON and they had seven children. Gladys "Frances" BREWER was born 5 September 1938, married James Richard RAINS and they have two children.

This veteran was a member of the Shawnettee Methodist Church and American Legion Post #130. He enjoyed farming, swimming, traveling and the outdoors. He also enjoyed picnics and outings with his family and especially his grandchildren. While John was in service, he shook hands with President Woodrow WILSON on the White House lawn.

John Walker BREWER died at the V.A. hospital in Murfreesboro, Tennessee on 11 November 1973. He was 80 years old.

Return To Index

BREWER, ROBERT HARRISON, Farrier. Service: Inducted 21 Sep 1917 at Allen's Creek, Wayne Co., Tennessee. Co. A, 319 MG BN to October 15, 1917; Co. B, 114 MG BN to December 9, 1917; Vet. C Auxiliary RMT Dep. 310 to discharge. Discharged 30 Jan 1919.

Robert Harrison BREWER was born 19 July 1890 and died 22 July 1972. He is buried at Palestine Cemetery in Lewis County, Tennessee. He married on 25 Dec 1910 to Sally Jane _____? in Lewis Co., Tennessee.

Return To Index

BREWER, ROY CALVIN, was born in Wayne County, Tennessee on 28 November 1896. He Roy Calvin Brewerdied 5 Oct 1985, in Collinwood, TN. He is buried at McGlamery Cemetery. He was the son of William Henry BREWER and Malinda Ann Dora BUTLER. Roy was inducted on 6 September 1918 at Waynesboro, TN. He was a private, serial number 4245751. He was 21 years, 9 months old at induction and by occupation a farmer. He was described as having brown eyes, black hair, a fair complexion and was 5' 10" in height. From 29 Sep 1918 to 12 Oct 1919, he served with the American Expeditionary Forces in Europe, serving with the 249th Co. P.W.E. He was discharged at Camp Gordon, GA on 20 Oct 1919.

After he returned from the service, Roy married Lillie Ellender LAY on 24 September 1922 in Collinwood. They were married by Dr. W. W. RIPPY who was the Justice of the Peace for the 4th Civil District. Lillie was the daughter of John Sampson LAY and his wife, Sarah Alice DIXON. Lillie was born 1 June 1906 and died 26 Jan 1951. She is buried at McGlamery Cemetery.

Roy and Lillie had two children:(1) Juanita Helen BREWER, b. 13 April 1924, m. 7 Aug 1948 to Clarence Delbert THOMAS, b. 4 Dec 1927; they have a son Matthew Lowell THOMAS, b. 1 May 1959; (2) Judith Lay BREWER, b. 27 Feb 1941, m. in 1962 to Virgil H. DAVIS, b. Jul 1938, they have one son John Brewer DAVIS, b. 4 Dec 1968.

Following Lillie's death in 1951, Roy married second to Hettie A. QUILLEN on 7 June 1954. She was born 29 Dec 1917, and was the daughter of John Lewis QUILLEN and his wife Estella J. STULTS. Roy and Hettie did not have any children.

Several stories, told by Roy, of his experiences during World War I were remembered and recorded by his daughters. They were submitted along with his biography and a published here as part of that biography. They are written in first person, Roy C. BREWER speaking.

The Argonne Cemetery

For a time I was stationed in the Verdun area and assigned to a company that helped build the Argonne Cemetery. In an infantry company a soldier may see a lot of other boys killed. While it affects you to see your friends and acquaintances killed, you are always moving, trying to stay alive. Not even combat could prepare us for what we experienced building the cemetery.

I don't remember how many acres the cemetery contained, but it would have made a very large farm. We laid the graves out in straight rows so that every way you looked rows would fan out in a straight manner. When we started they had our dead boys laid out and stacked like cord wood. There were great big stacks all around the area. The bodies still had their dog tags on them so we could identify each boy with his grave.

Our camp was ten or twelve miles from the cemetery, but you could smell the decaying bodies even back there. I hope no one ever has to see or smell something like that again.


After the Armistice, I was assigned to a guard company that guarded German prisoners of war. Even though they would be repatriated in a little while, we still were responsible for them and maintained a loosely guarded POW camp. The people who lived in that area were mostly Germans and would provide a place for escaped POW's to hide.

One morning my Captain, a man from near Nashville, told me that a POW had walked off during the night. He also said that no telling where that rascal had gone. He gave me a European wide pass/orders and told me to find the guy if I had to go all over Europe to do it. I took that to mean that the Captain would not be upset if this Wayne County boy took what would probably be his only chance ever to see Europe. I was gone almost six weeks, visited most of the big cities, did some dancing and no little bit of drinking before coming back to the area near our camp, captured the missing POW and marched back to our camp.


After the Russian Revolution, the new government stopped sending provisions to their troops that were left in France. They were in terrible shape. Most of them could not speak either French or English. They had no money as they were seldom paid even before the Revolution. Some of the boys were very good at carving. I bought several carved horses and so forth from them. I don't know what happened to those carvings. It would be nice to have them now.

I almost got sent to Russia. You know we landed an expeditionary force in Vladevostock. Some thought we would support the White Russians against the Reds. Just before I was supposed to leave for Russia someone changed his mind and I got to come home.


On the way back to Tennessee we were on a troop train. I think we were in Trenton, New Jersey. Anyway, we were in a train car packed with troops. When we stopped, this old Italian came by pushing a big cart of fruit that he was trying to sell to people who were on the train. Somebody hollered, "Hey, BREWER, bet you won't get us a stalk of bananas." Well, I climbed out an open window, ran up to the cart and grabbed a stalk of bananas and pitched them through the open train window. The old Italian was cussing me good in both English and Italian. I told him to send the bill to Uncle Sam. By the time the train had started again I was back aboard but the other boys had already eaten all of the bananas.

Return To Index

BROMLEY, JAMES M. Pvt. Co. F, 137th Inf. Serial Number 3496758. Soldier was born Iron City, Tennessee and was 23 years old and a farmer at induction. He was described as having blue eyes, brown hair, dark complexion standing 5' 9". He was inducted 24 June 1918 at Waynesboro, Tennessee and served in the American Expeditionary Forces from 8 Aug 1918 to 13 April 1919. He was discharged at Ft. Oglethorpe, GA on 12 May 1919. No other information submitted.

Return To Index

BROWN, FINLEY, Born May 1896, served in the Marine Corps and was inducted at Birmingham, Alabama. His parents were David and Emily BROWN. Siblings were Neil, Thomas, Green, and Mattie BROWN. No other information available.

Return To Index

BROWN, GRADY REX, PVT, 307 Eng. 82nd Division, born 14 March 1896, at Cane Creek. Grady Rex BrownDied 29 April 1940, buried at Whitehead Cemetery, Topsy, Wayne County, Tennessee. Inducted at Waynesboro. Father was Ike T. BROWN, b. 20 Dec 1862, d. 28 Jan 1933. Mother was Mollie, b. 12 Aug 1873, d. 25 July 1935. Both are buried in Bastin Cemetery located on N.E. side of Cane Creek Road on Bashie TALLEY property in Lewis County.

Had sister, Florence BROWN, b. 20 Nov 1901, who married Van RASBURY. Brothers: James Russell BROWN, b. 10 June 1893, d. 20 Feb 1949; C. Raymond BROWN, b. 24 Feb 1904, d. 5 March 1953. Both brothers are buried at Whitehead Cemetery, Topsy, Wayne Co., TN.

Grady Rex BROWN married Eslie WARREN in 1924. She was born 11 Nov 1895 and died 28 Nov 1956. Elsie was a school teacher. They did not have any children.

"On the eve of Induction Day, Ransom and Rosie LAFFERTY GRAVES assited by her parents, the William LAFFERTY family, entertained with a buffet supper at their home on the site where the Church of Christ now stands. After supper, the crowd from the Topsy Community gathered at the Topsy School building for a "farewell" party.

Raleigh PEYTON who married Ruth BROWN, Grady's cousin, spoke for the community with tribute to the Topsy boys who would leave the next morning. Will MATHIS and "Sugar Boy" WHITEHEAD were among the "would-be" Army boys.

This was related by Grady's sister, Florence BROWN RASBURY as she lay seriously ill in Regional Hospital, Columbia, Maury Co., TN on 30 October 1990.

Grady moved with this father, Ike, brothers and sisters from Cane Creek to the Myles EDWARDS farm at Topsy early in life. Later they moved to the Lewis D. WHITEHEAD farm in Topsy and continued to farm. They then operated the Brown Brothers Store and Grady was in charge of the 'Peddling Route" throughout Wayne County.

Return To Index

BROWN, JAMES RUSSELL, was born in Wayne County, Tennessee on 10 June 1893, the son James Russell Brownof Isaac T. and Mollie (BASTIN) BROWN. He moved to Lewis County, Tennessee soon after birth. He lived on Cane Creek in Lewis County, Flatrock Community until December 1915 when he moved to Topsy, Wayne County, Tennessee with his father, sister and two brothers.

He served in the US Army as a private in DEV BN, at Capt Gordon, GA. He was scheduled to go to France but had the influenza and his group went without him. When the war was over, he returned to Topsy where he resumed farming. He and his brothers, Grady and Raymond, farmed and operated a grocery store.

Russell married Maude RICKETTS of Hohenwald on 9 Dec 1920. They had five children: Ernest, Dora Etta, Rex, Alberta and Donna.

Russell was a kind, gentle man who loved farming and cared about the welfare of his family, friends and neighbors. He was an elder in the Church of Christ at Topsey and was instrumental in erecting a building for the church which was finished in 1948. He belonged to the American Legion Post at Lawrenceburg, Tennessee. He served as Justice of the Peace for the 6th district for several years.

Return To Index

BROWN, JAMES TAYLOR, was born 23 November 1894, the son of James Irvin and James Taylor BrownMarguerite Roxanne PRINCE BROWN. He enlisted in the US Army on 24 June 1918 and was discharged 29 August 1919. He was a cook at Camp Gordon, GA. He was 22 years and 8 months old when inducted and a farmer. He was described as having brown eyes, brown hair, a fair complexion, standing 5' 6" tall.

Taylor married in June 1919 to Nona BROWN of Milledgeville, Georgia. She died in 1981. Taylor died 2 July 1975. Taylor and Nona had five children: sons, James Taylor BROWN, Jr. (deceased), D. C. BROWN of Marianna, Arkansas, and "Pete" BROWN of Texas City, Texas; two daughters: Mrs. Annie Mei BROWN PARR of Wynne, Arkansas and Mrs. Thelma BROWN McELDUFF of Texas City, Texas. Taylor lived near Marianna, Arkansas where he was known as the "farmer with the green thumb."

Taylor's siblings were Frank G. BROWN (23 Aug 1884 - 16 Sep 1969), Alonzo BROWN (March 1889 - 2 Feb 1978), Archa BROWN (Oct 1890 - 15 Feb 1957), Henry C. BROWN (Feb 1892 - 1 Oct 1965), Milas BROWN (died 1955), Carroll BROWN (29 June 1898 - Nov 1988), Sarah BROWN (1 July 1886 - Nov 1965) and Jossia BROWN (18 Aug 1896 - 14 Feb 1986) who married Grady TREADWELL. He had two half-brothers: Bill and Woodruff BROWN.

Return To Index

BRUCE, FRANK J. Sergeant Co. C, HQ BN, serial number 2,000,439, born at Eddyville, KY, Enlisted 2 Oct 1917 at Cadiz, KY, abd was 23 years and 5 months old at enlistment. He was described as 5' 11" tall, fair complexion with blue eyes and light brown hair. He left the US for foreign service on 4 March 1918 and served in France. He returned to the US on 30 June 1919 and was discharged at Mitchell Field,Long Island, NY on 8 July 1919. Soldier was single at enlistment. He was promoted to sergeant on 18 April 1919. No other information available.

Return To Index

BURLESON, SHERRILL, born 16 May 1894, Wayne Co., TN, died 2 Nov 1917, buried in Old Town Cemetery, Waynesboro, Tennessee. He married Viola ______? [no other information]

Return To Index

BURNETTE, ARTHUR LEROY, born 1889 in Alabama, date of enlistment, service date and Arthur L. Burnette (47308 bytes)date of discharge not known. BRUNETTE was living in Collinwood, TN and working as an office clerk for the Tennessee Valley Iron and Railroad Company when he entered service. He returned to that job after the war.

He married Mamie ADKISSON on 10 June 1914 in Collinwood, TN. She was the daughter of Thomas A. and Mollie WILLIS ADKISSON of Collinwood. Arthur and Mamie had one known son, Arthur L. BURNETTE, Jr.

Return To Index

BURNS, ALBERT, was born in the Houston community, Wayne County, Tennessee, the son of John and Alice McMULLIN BURNS. It is not known when he entered service, but he was dischaged in 1919 and returned home for a short time. He left and his later location was unknown. He had the following siblings: Erby BURNS (12 Nov 1890 - 24 April 1965) married Madgie Mildred MARTIN (25 Dec 1894 - 22 Nov 1932); Archie BURNS, b. May 1888, m. Ollie ADKISSON; Eddie BURNS, b. Oct 1895; Pearl BURNS, who married Jay MELSON; Etta BURNS m. William MORGAN; Edgar H. BURNS (7 Aug 1889 - 12 June 1890), Raymond BURNS m. Faithy J. CLAY; and Hubert BURNS, who married Sue BECKHAM. Albert Burns (41036 bytes)


Return To Index

BUTLER, HENRY ARTHUR, was born 7 Aug 1890 ,the son of Thompson C. BUTLER (6 May 1860 - 26 Nov 1942, buried Punhook Cem.) and Mary Hulda HAY (25 Jan 1863 - 1 May 1910, buried in Decatur Co.,TN). He was inducted in 1917 at Waynesboro, TN. He served in Frances as a medic. His siblings were Omer Witt BUTLER, Benjamin Harrison BUTLER, Reuben Vernor BUTLER, Terry Cordelia BUTLER and William Hobart BUTLER.

His part in the Medical Corps was to go behind the fighting and help the wounded and to care for the dead. He fought in the battles of Rhine River, Argonne Forest and along the Meuse, from Verdun to Sedan, from 26 Sep 1918 through Armistice.

The Battles of Argonne Firest, September 27 - October 10, 1918, were a series of fierce and decisive battles. Twelve divisions of the American Army broke through the supposedly impenetrable German line. This was a rocky wilderness where there were barbed wire entanglements.

Henry Arthur BUTLER married first to Hester TININ (1 Feb 1890 - 1 Sep 1926, buried Pinhook Cem, Wayne Co., TN.) . He married second to Clarice DANIEL LAWSON, (7 Nov 1898 - 28 Aug 1942, buried Lawson Cem. Wayne Co., TN). He married third to Lillie LUCAS of Hardin Co., TN. His children were by Hester: Mary Louise BUTLER, stillborn, 22 Aug 1923, buried at Pinhook; by Clarice: Martin Hay BUTLER, b. 1941.

After the war, Henry worked up North for several years. After Clarice's death, Henry moved to Martin, TN to live with his sister, Cordie and her husband, Charlie STRICKLIN. Cordie took care of Martin Hay BUTLER for three or four years.

Henry and son moved to Savannah to work for the Ice Company. He soon married Lillie. He died 19 May 1973 following a long illness and was buried at Pinhook Cemetry. Lillie died in a few years and Martin Hay BUTLER survives.

Return To Index

BUTLER, REUBEN VERNOR, was born 25 July 1894, the son of Thompson C. BUTLER and Mary Hulda HAY. He was a brother to Henry Arthur BUTLER above. During the war he was stationed at the Panama Canel. Date of induction and discharge not given. After the war, he returned to Lutts, Tennessee. Later he worked as a carpenter in Memphis, Tennesse and at Lutts. He spent several yeras working at Oak Ridge, Tennessee.

Reuben later returned to Memphis and fianlly to Lutts, Tennessee where he served as a deputy sheriff. During his service as deputy sheriff, he was shot and paralized. He spent 12 years at the Veterans Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee. He died 11 June 1966 and was buried in Pinhook Cemetery, Lutts, Tennessee. He never married.

Return To Index

BYLER, EDGAR, Pvt, Draft Headquarter, Nashville, TN Serial number 4445357, was born at Sage, Izard County, Arkansas on 21 September 1888. He was the son of Dr. S. E. BYLER and Lauraetta DOWNING BYLER, natives of Izard Co., Arkansas and Wayne County, Tennessee respectively.

In 1889, he came by train, steamboat and ox cart to Wayne County, Tennessee eventually settling with his parents in Iron City, Lawrence County, Tennessee. He graduated from the Iron City Institute in 1906 and entered the University of Tennessee that fall. In 1907, he began teaching school in Lawrence County, Tennessee, the Wayland Springs District. Later he taught at Thompson's Station in Franklin County, Tennessee and other areas before entering the surveying business in 1912. He was a member of the surveying team which surveyed the Tennessee Western Railroad from Iron City to present day Collinwood and laid out the town of Collinwood under the supervision of Edward L. LULL.

He was inducted into the US Army in June 1918 and served in the Medical Corps as a Medical Examination Corpsman at the Induction Center in Nashville and later in Savannah, Tennessee. He was honorably discharged on 23 December 1918. and became a surveyor with the L & N Railroad, working in the building of the line from Sheffield, Alabama to Birmingham, Alabama through Russellville.

He married on 12 Nov 1919, in Russellville, Alabama to Mrs. Sarah Jane DUNN WALSH, a widow with two small children: Joseph E. WALSH and Robert E. WALSH. Sarah was the daughter of Joseph D DUNN and Frances Jane TILLEY DUNN, natives of England. Joseph D. DUNN was president of the American Products Company of Boyne City, Michigan and was in Collinwood during the war to supervise the building of the iron furnace which was part of the US Government Chemical Plant being erected by the Tennessee Valley Iron and Railroad Company of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania under a contract from the US Bureau of Aeroplane Manufacture.

Shortly after Mr. DUNN returned to Boyne City, Michigan in December 1919, Edgar BYLER joined them and worked with Mr. DUNN in the iron business. Edgar and Sarah's first child, Laura Jane BYLER, was born at Manistique, Michigan on 7 July 1920. On 22 Dec 1920, Dr. S. E. BYLER died suddenly. Edgar and family moved back to Collinwood where they lived for a short time in the upstairs rooms of the drugstore. In 1921 Edgar was appointed Postmaster at Collinwood to fill out his father's term. At the same time, Edgar and his brother-in-law, Allen BROWN formed a partnership to take over operation of the drug store. Thus Brown and Byler Drugs was born and would continue to serve the people of Collinwood until Edgar retired in 1962.

While living over the store Edgar and Sarah's son, Edgar Donald BYLER was born on 19 September 1921. Shortly thereafter they moved into what was called the "Green" house on Second Avenue. Here their third child, Naomi Ruth BYLER was born 28 Jan 1923. With a growing family and a decline in profits from the store business, Edgar decided to seek work with the Tennessee Highway Department. He worked with the Highway department from 1923 until 1936, working to build Tenn. Highway 15 (later US 64). In 1936, he returned to the farm the family had bought in the McCall Community because of the Depression. Then in 1937 he returned to the Drugstore as Pharmacist.

Sarah Jane DUNN WALSH BYLER died 12 November 1965 at Wayne County General Hospital, Waynesboro, Tennessee and was buried at McGlamery Cemetery. Edgar BYLER died 17 May 1968 in Florence, Alabama. He is also buried at McGlamery.

During World War II, Edgar BYLER served on the Wayne County, Tennessee Draft Board and as a 1LT in the Tennessee State Guard. Three members of the family served in various services during World War II: Robert E. WALSH, U.S. Navy; LT. Laura Jane BYLER, US Army Nurses Corps; and SSG Edgar D.BYLER, Army Air Corps.

Return To Index

Return to World War I Veterans' Biographies Main Page

Return To Contents Page