First Baptist Church of Oneida, 1887-1993:
A History That Parallels Growth Of The Community It Serves
(EDITORíS NOTE ó The following history of the First Baptist Church of Oneida is taken as excerpts from a publication printed in 1987 celebrating the churchís 100th anniversary. Much of the data for the publication had been compiled by the Rev. Lewis Bratcher in 1962 for the 75th anniversary celebration. Please remember as you read this article that much of it was written in present tense. Thanks are extended to the Rev. Philip R. Kazee and Church Secretary Margaret Watters for their assistance in sorting through the church archives for the pictures and information used in this article).
The day was the third Saturday in April 1886...the place. New River, Tennessee. Assembled together were a group of men representing churches in Campbell, Scott and Morgan counties. Present were such men as J. Y. BURCHFIELD, J. Q. CROSS, L. COOPER, J. F. WEBB, JOHN BULLOCK, J. BYRD, and S. ADKINS. These men were deeply concerned with the need of organizing in Scott County an Association that would truly be missionary in character and that would take seriously the responsibility of spreading the gospel, both in their own communities and to the ends of the world. They represented churches that were affiliated with the Clinton and Big Emory Associations.
As a result of this meeting, in October 1886, the first annual session of the New River Association was held. T. W. NASH delivered the introductory sermon, J. C. HUDSON was elected Moderator, and elected as Clerk was J. G. HALL. Enrolled in this Association were eleven churches. Deeply conscious of their responsibility at home and abroad, they recommended that the pastors preach on "Missions, take frequent collections and divide the amount received equally between Home and Foreign Missions, urge Sunday School workers to teach the children to give to the cause of Missions," while at the same time support the work at home.
At their second annual meeting in October 1887, after the committee had reported on the work done regarding the mission task, the following recommendation was adopted: "This amount is now in our hands, and we suggest that there be work done at Oneida." Entrusted with the start of this work in Oneida was JOHN BULLOCK, whose Post Office was Jeffers, Tennessee, and S. ADKINS, whose Post Office was Gum Fork, Tennessee.
To those who only know the present Oneida, it may be surprising to learn that before the turn of the century Oneida was nothing but a small mountain cross roads. In the development of Scott County other areas grew, and at different times Helenwood, Huntsville, Norma, Winfield, Glenmary and New River were the great centers of population. So it was that Oneida was considered a real witness in this area. To be sure, there was a small church in the end of the county, and at the same time a group of Baptists were meeting in a private home. But in Oneida proper there was no Baptist Church. It should be noted that it was not until the beginning of the 1920s that Oneida began to take its place as the leading community in Scott County.
When the New River Association met in 1888 the Executive Board gave the following report: "A portion of our Board met at Oneida on the 26th day of November 1887 and agreed to assign the mission field of labor to Rev. JOHN BULLOCK, then requested him to preach each month at Oneida, and also visit as many of the churches within the bounds of the New River Association as he conveniently could, and urge upon them their duty in the premises. We also request Rev. S. ADKINS to assist Bro. BULLOCK at Oneida. "Up to the 21st day of March 1888. Bro. BULLOCK reports, "thirty-nine days labor, organized one church at Oneida, baptized four persons, which church you receive into your fellowship at this present session." This, then was the beginning of our church.
The place of organization of the Church was in a school building built on a piece of ground donated by DICK SMITH. Meeting in this building was also the Methodist Church. The First Baptist Church in Oneida continued to meet here until 1903 when their first building was erected.
In 1893 there came to the Church at Oneida a man who was to greatly influence these early years. This man was GEORGE W. CECIL, who was to serve as Pastor until 1915. Many important ac-
(Continued on page 4)
(Continued from page 1)
tions were taken during his pastorate and the Church was to begin to grow and develop during this time.
There have been many men who contributed to the advancement of the Baptist work in Scott County, but few ever held as great an impact on that work over as long a period of time as did GEORGE CECIL. When he began to preach he was not able to read, and others would read to him from the Bible, and he would memorize the passage which he was going to use. He is remembered as saying concerning these early years that "when I started to preach I felt that all I had to do was open my mouth and God would give me the message. I soon discovered, however, that all that happened was that my mouth got filled with gnats." Thus he began a period of study of Godís Word which was to continue throughout this life. Possessed of a near photographic memory, once he had learned to read he memorized great portions of the Bible. Those who remember him say that they never knew a man who could quote so perfectly from Godís Word as did GEORGE CECIL. In addition to this, he was a man who loved to sing and was endowed with a beautiful voice. Even in his old age when his voice was at its prime, he would continue to thrill audiences by pausing in the middle of a sermon and sing some of the old familiar hymns. While over and above all else he was a preacher of the Word, he was also a very human man, endowed with the strength and weaknesses which are part of manís nature. Many stories are told concerning him as to his courage and to his tendency to speak out bluntly and to the point. One of the stories told, but which had been added to or changed from much repeating, concerns his preaching in church where it had been the custom of the people to "run the preacher out of town." One version has him entering the pulpit with his Bible in one hand and a pistol in the other; another version has him with his Bible and a large rock. Whatever he carried into the pulpit, this was certain ó when GEORGE W. CECIL preached he expected the people to sit and listen and would do everything with in his power to make certain that this happened. While there was joy in his life, there was also sorrow, and many tragic events took place which would have destroyed a lesser man. But whatever his strength and whatever his weakness, GEORGE W. CECIL will ever be remembered as one of the great preachers of his day; and it is hoped that someone, while there are still those living who remember him, might adequately deal with his life.
When he became Pastor of the Church there were 38 members, and A. C. TERRY, MELVIN NEWPORT, G. PHILLIPS, JOS. BOTTS and WILLIAM CHITWOOD were active in the life of the Church. When he left in 1915 the Church had a total membership of 80, and were worshipping in their own building. It should be noted that during these years a very strict standard was held, as far as membership in the 77 Church, and that many times members were added to the Church by baptism or statement and then excluded because of some weakness in their character.
Perhaps one of the most important events of this period was the donation, of the nominal sum of $75.00, for the property whereon the Church is stillí located. On the 16th day of December 1901, CLAIBORN CROSS and wife, CONNIE CROSS of Oneida, Scott County, gave the "property situated in the eighth district of Scott County, beginning on a stone where street leaves public road. Thence East with said street 147 112 feet to stone, thence South to 2 degrees 45í West 147 feet to stone. Thence West 147 112 feet to aforesaid road and stone corner, thence North 2 degrees 45í East with said road to the place of beginning, containing one-half acre. It is further agreed that said party of second part is to put a good fence around said lot and to keep the same in good repair. And it is further agreed that the above lot is to be used and kept for the site of a Baptist Church and for any other properties with the herditaments and appurtenances thereto appertaining, hereby 7 releasing all claim to homestead and dower therein." The deed was signed by C. CROSS and CONNIE CROSS. It is interesting to know that in 1957, when the Church began to build its Educational structure, an additional lot was donated to the Church by Mrs. EVA MASSEY, daughter of C. CROSS and CONNIE CROSS. With this property on hand the Church began the building of its first house of Worship, moving out of the school house wherein it had met for sixteen years. This one room frame building was erected to serve the Church for twenty-six years.
It should be noted that both during the time that GEORGE CECIL was Pastor, 7 as during the period after he resigned, before I. H. Bee served as Pastor, that several preachers contributed to the life of the church. One of the men who made an outstanding contribution was F. M. CHAMBERS, better known as "Little Marion." He was born in 1857 on Buffalo Creek near Huntsville, was converted at an early age and was ordained a Baptist minister when he was eighteen years old in the Sugar Grove Baptist Church. Whether or not he was present 77 at the organization of the New River Association is not known, but his name is recorded in the second meeting of the Association. Known as a "Circuit Riding Preacher," he took care of at least four churches, preaching in a different church each Sunday. During these early years one of the churches which he served was our Church. At the time of his death in 1945, he was known and loved by the people of Scott County, and his son M. L. CHAMBERS, was to play an important 77 part in the growth of the Church. In addition to him, it is remembered that the following preached in the Church: BRACK KING, JACOB CHAMBERS, WHIG DUNCAN, CAL TERRY, HIRAM DAUGHERTY and WILL HAMBY. Working side by side with these Pastors, in addition to those whose names have already been mentioned, were such men as GRANVILLE SHEPPARD; BAILEY LITTON; E. W. SMITH; E. L. BURCHFIELD, who served for many years as Clerk; and TABY BURCHFIELD.
So the early years came and went; and a foundation was laid for the years of growth that were ahead.
The period 1919 to 1929 might well be described as the period of growth in the life of our Church. During this period the Church built its Parsonage, thus becoming the first Church in Scott County to have a Pastorís home; Services were held every Sunday; the first Womanís Missionary Union in Scott County was organized; and the present building was erected. The Association record shows that in 1918 the Church had 125 members, was contributing $37.00 to home expenses, and had a total of 150 enrolled in Sunday School. They were, at that time, still meeting on the fourth Saturday of each month. By 1930 the record shows 448 members enrolled, local expenses of approximately $1800.00, and a total property value of $41,000.00, 344 were enrolled in Sunday School, and total gifts to the missions were $127.59. So it was that a Church, which in early years had more or less followed the pattern established within our County, began to build upon the foundation laid and take seriously the need of a full time program in order to promote the Kingdomís work.
After GEORGE CECIL left the Church to become a missionary in the county, I. H. BEE became Pastor. His length of service lasted approximately two years. It was at this time that Rev. MOSES L. CHAMBERS was called as Pastor of the Church.
Soon after his baptism he felt the call to preach and entered the Southern Baptist Seminary in Louisville, Kentucky in 1913. In 1914 he was ordained a Baptist minister by his home Church in Jellico, continuing his preparation until 1916 when he began his ministry as an evangelist at Williamsburg, Kentucky. It was in 1919 that he was called to be a Pastor of our Church and it is to be noted that he was the first Pastor to have any Seminary training. He served the Church during two years, and one of the most important decisions during his ministry was the purchase of "lots 12, 11 and l0 in Block J on the corner of Second Street and Carson Avenue in the J. R. MITCHELL addition to the town of Oneida." This is the first time that in an official document the Church is recognized as the "Missionary Baptist Church of
(Continued on page 5)
(Continued from page 4)
Oneida, Scott County, Tennessee." While Bro. CHAMBERS did not remain long enough to see the Parsonage built, all materials had been placed on the lot when he resigned to go back into the field of evangelism.
Following the resignation of Bro. CHAMBERS, Bro. W. D. HUTTON was called as Pastor, serving from 1921 to 1922. During his ministry the Parsonage was built, and he was the first pastor to live in the new home. Bro. HUTTON was followed by Bro. STUART RULE who served as interim Pastor for seven months. Following this period of service Bro. RULE was to go on and for many years serve as President of Harrison Chilhowie Academy. Following his ministry the Church called as its Pastor W. FRANK MOORE who began his work in 1922. In 1926, Rev. J. T. JENKINS served as pastor, and it was then that two events took place which were to rapidly change the life of the Church. The first of these was the start of a plan to replace the little frame building with an adequate house of worship. The second event was the holding of a Great Revival in June 1926 which resulted in the addition of 90 members to the Church in September 1926ó 69 of them coming to baptism. The Revival was led by Rev. GEORGE MOODY. In 1927 Rev. T. H. ROARK was called as Pastor, and in l928 he frame building was moved to the present site of the Oneida Furniture Company and work began in earnest on the present building. The first services were held in this building in December, 1929. Once again a victory had been attained . . . a great dream had become a reality. However, this new building was not to be. formally dedicated until October 1951.
For many of our members the period of the thirties can aptly be described as years of testing.
What was happening throughout the country was reflected in what happened within our community and our Church. Unemployment was great . . . financial need was everywhere, and our Church faced these years with burden of the new building which had been erected. Many plans were put forth in order to meet the financial obligations. Sometimes these plans would deal with the actual income of the Church such as the action taken February, 1932 when it was voted to "set aside thirty percent of all contributions to retire the Bank notes now in effect." Again individual members would be contacted and asked to give as much as fifty cents a week to pay off the debts. Pie suppers were held, canisters were placed in business houses, bricks were sold . . . in fact, nearly every idea conceivable was used in order to raise funds. The need was truly great, at one time it became so very serious that the parsonage had to be mortgaged in the amount of $342.59 in order to pay the salary due the Pastor who was resigning. So it was that in every sense of the word, this was a period of testing.
While the help of those who were members of the Church, as those in the community, meant much to the survival of the Church, there were also others who helped. This financial difficulty in which our Church found itself was real in other churches of the Southern Baptist Convention, as in other churches within the State of Tennessee. On at least two different occasions, the Church contacted the Home Mission Board and sought their help. The Home Mission Board itself, however, was in serious condition and it was impossible for them to give the help desired. However, when the Church turned to the Executive Secretary of the Tennessee Baptist Convention, they found a spirit of cooperation and response. So it was that in June of 1932 the State Board agreed to help on the Pastor salary with the sum of $25.00 per month.
In spite of these financial difficulties, it is to the credit of the Church that they did not stand still during this period. Instead, there was a continued effort to improve the present basic property, services were held, growth was experienced both in membership and in Sunday School, Bible Conferences were held, and in great Revival efforts souls were brought into the Kingdom of God.
During this time of testing the Church was blessed with Pastors who, in spite of great difficulties, ministered to our people.
During these years the names of many who are familiar to us today are recorded, some of whom began their service to the Church and have continued to the present time. Among them are such names as Miss LENA DAVIS, who began teaching in 1937 in the primary Department; Mrs. REBECCA SMITH, who was elected Church Pianist in 1936; and LILLARD HUMAN, who served his term as Sunday School Superintendent in 1936. In addition to these, serving in many different capacities were some who are no longer with us, others who still continue faithful in the life of the Church. Outstanding among those who worship now in the presence of the Eternal God are men such as C. W. WRIGHT, who served in many different capacities; C. B. HAIL; LON BRADEN; C. C. NEWPORT; E. M. BRU-
(Continued on page 8)
(Continued from page 5)
NETTE; VIRGIL SMITH; W. S. DUNCAN; and Mrs. BESS WEST, who served as Training Union Director and President of the Womenís Missionary Society. Others who continue, either in our Church or in other churches, are REBA NEWPORT, who served as Clerk; Mrs. J. R. GOAD; Mrs. DICK SMITH; Mrs. FLORA CONATSER; JIM ACRES, who was ordained by our Church in September in 1937 and who served as the first Pastor of the New Haven Church; Mrs. L. W. GRIFFITH; RICHARD W. SMITH, who served two terms as Clerk of the Church; LEE WEST, who served as Sunday School Superintendent, Church Treasurer and Moderator of the Church; Mrs. JOE ADAMS; B. F. SANDERS; A. M. LAY; Bro. LOY WEST, who served both as Treasurer and Training Union Director; DEXTER LAXTON; PRINCESS CARSON, who served as Clerk; Mrs. CLAUDE CARTER; RUTH LAXTON, who served as Clerk; GUY C. JEFFERS, who served as Treasurer; O. K. JEFFERS, who was later to serve for many years as teacher of the Menís Bible Class; Mrs. O. E. JEFFERS; Mrs. CLIFFORD SHERRILL; Mrs. W. C. BOWER; Mrs. FLORA LONG; Mr. and Mrs. FRED SMITH; Mrs. GUY C. JEFFERS; Mrs. GRACE WEST; EDSON BILBREY, who served as Clerk; Mrs. L. R. HUMAN, who served as W. M. U. President; W. C. BOWER, who served as Clerk; along with many others. Our Church should remain ever grateful to these for their devotion during these years.
So it was that the years of testing came and went, and some within the Church were strengthened and others within the Church were weakened. As in all periods of testing, the reaction of the individual members, as the reaction of the Church as a whole, was dependent upon how real was the presence of God during these years. While it is possible as we look back upon those days to see the mistakes that were made, as well as the victories which were attained,, we should do so, conscious of the fact that were it not for the devotion of many that the outcome would have been different. In a very real sense, this period of testing prepared the Church for the New Era which was ahead.
While it is of course impossible to divide the life of a church in exact periods, in view of the fact that the present is always influenced by the past, it might well be said that with the coming of Fred Rudder as pastor, the Church entered into the Years of Maturity. The debts which had been in such a terrible burden had been paid.., new interest was being shown in the work, and the Church members as a whole began to understand their responsibility in the life of the Church. So it was that from 1943 to 1962, changes were brought in the life of the Church, and in reality a new interest and concern was being shown.
Looking back over these years, important steps were taken to bring the Church to its present position. In 1947 the Church began an active support of the Associational Missionary Program. a support which lasted for several years and then was discontinued, being resumed again in 1958 In 1947 the Church began its effort to purchase a pipe organ, which was installed in 1950. During this period pews were purchased and placed within the Auditorium, and additions made to the present building. In 1949 the Sunday School passed the 300 mark in enrollment, and in 1954 passed the 400 mark. Perhaps one of the most important actions taken during the pastorate of HUGH WIDICK when in 1952 it was voted to start a Building Fund, with the plan in mind to build an educational plant. In order to make this dream a reality, the lot back of the
Church was purchased for $4,000.00 in December 1953. In March 1954 the first plans were studied for the future building. It was felt, however, that additional funds should be received before any further steps were taken, and by the time the present Pastor was here, this Building Fund stood at $21,786.99. In addition to this action, in November of 1951 the present building was dedicated. Again this was an hour of great rejoicing as the Church remembered the days of testing and victory which had been attained. It should also be noted that during these years there was a steady growth in the life of the Church, with many fine revival meetings being held and many souls being added into the Church.
In 1957 and 1958 the Church began and completed the dream of many years with the building of the educational plant. From the start it was felt that this building should be erected, and that the Church as a whole should assume no indebtedness. So it was that on the 29th of June l958, the Educational Building was dedicated, free of debt, to the honor and glory of God. Present for the dedication was Rev. HUGH WIDICK, who had challenged the Church to begin this program, as well as many former members and friends of the Church. Now the Church could adequately provide class room and space for the study of Godís Word. How great the effort put forth during this time is revealed in the minutes of the Association of 1958. These minutes show that from October 1957 to September 1958 the Church received $110,912.00. This could not have been done without the whole-hearted support and cooperation of a dedicated group of members.
As we study the record of these years we notice once again the names of many who had participated in other periods of Church life. In the work of the Sunday School, LILLARD HUMAN continued as Sunday School Superintendent. Serving as Training Union Directors were LOY H. WEST, Mr. and Mrs. GUY JEFFERS, BENTON GARRETT, DALE SMITH, FINYS PENNYCUFF, BILL LAY and GEORGE PLUMLEE. ZIEGLER BEETS served as Church Usher until the time of his death in 1960, and also served as a Deacon. LOY H. WEST sewed as Church Treasurer, and in 1945 Mrs. GLADYS BLAIR was elected Treasurer. Serving as President of the Womenís Missionary Society were Mrs. GUY JEFFERS, Mrs. SAM BLAIR, Mrs. R. W. SMITH, Mrs. TINA DAVIS, Mrs. GRACE WEST, Mrs. JIM ACRES, Mr. R. L. MERRITT, Mrs. ADA CARTER, Mrs. EUNIC BRUTON, Mrs. REBA NEWPORT, Mrs. DOROTHY ELLIS, Mrs. IRENE PHILLIPS and Mrs. BEULAH BYRD. Throughout this period Mrs. RE-
(Continued on page 9)
(Continued from page 8)
BECCA SMITH served as Organist of the Church. BOBBY JEAN WEST served as Pianist. REASON WEST and Mrs. OLIVE WILLIAMS served as Custodians of the Church. GUY C. JEFFERS began his period of service as Chairman of the Board of Deacons. Serving with him on the Board of Deacons in this period were BERYL FAIRCHILD, B. F. BATES, RICHARD W. SMITH, BERNARD CHITWOOD, ARGIL BYRD, DALE SMITH, EARL PHILLIPS, OZRO KEETON, SAM JUSTICE, GEORGE PLUMLEE, LILLARD HUMAN, KERMIT LAXTON, LEE WEST, HAROLD JEFFERS, ZIEGLER BEETS and C. W. WRIGHT. Serving as president of the brotherhood were GLENN CAYLOR, who was the first president; LEE WEST; ARGIL BYRD; OZRO KEETON; and DICK WEST. Serving as Chairman of the Finance Committee were B. F. BATES, K. M. LAY, TOM ED COX and HAROLD JEFFERS. Among other active members were such names as LELAND THOMAS, Mrs. LEE KING, Mrs. W. S. DUNCAN, Mr. and Mrs. O. E. JEFFERS, Mrs. WILDA SPECK, Mrs. CLAUDE CARTER, ROBERT LAY, CLIFFORD SHERRILL, MARTHA CECIL, JAMES ACRES, Mrs. CLARA COE CARES, Mrs. HAROLD JEFFERS, Mrs. TOM ED COX, and Mrs. K. M. LAY.
At home, in our own local Association and community, this missionary interest has been revealed in the cooperation given to the New River Association. This cooperation has taken many forms, with our Church providing the leadership in many phases of the work. Among those who have served as Moderators of the Association were GEORGE W. CECIL., I. H. BEE, and the present Pastor, LEWIS BRACHER. Serving the Association as Clerk was W. A. TERRY, and the present Clerk, GUY C. JEFFERS. In addition to these, members of our Church have participated in many other phases of the Associational work, and the first report brought to the Association concerning the work of the Womanís Missionary Union was presented by Mrs. W. E. BOND. In the Training Union work, as in Sunday School work, Brotherhood, and Music, those who have been a part of our fellowship have occupied positions of leadership. At present the countywide Sunday School Association is under the leadership of one of our members, GEORGE PLUMLEE. So it is that by the giving of their time and effort, our Church has made real its concern for the local program.
One interesting item should perhaps be remembered in this relationship within our community, and this relates to the property of the Oak Grove Baptist Church. H. CLAY SMITH, in a proposed history of the County, tells of this situation when he writes, "Most people could tell you about some church that amounts to only about half a church, but the First Baptist Church of Oneida is perhaps the only one ever to have been a church and have a half interest in another one, and that half invested in a church in another Association." He goes on to tell of how Milton Terry, in the hope that these two Churches might be united, donated the land to the Oak Grove Church on the basis that our Church would have half interest, "lock, stock and barrel." He further reports that it was the present pastor of the Oak Grove Church, Rev. ROY BLEVINS, who discovered that the First Baptist Church had that half interest in his Church and took the necessary steps, requesting that the First Baptist deed their half to his Church, which was done. Bro. CLAY SMITH further states, "The First Baptist had a right to attend all meetings of the Bethlehem Church, to take part in their worship in every way and in all the business they transacted, for if one half of a church could act, the other half had a right to act also. It should be stated that the Bethlehem Church acted for sixty years as only half a Church, while the other acted and functioned for sixty years as a church and a half. As far as the writer knows, there is no other case like this in Church history." True it is that both Churches have been in close contact during the development of the community, and through the years there have been those who have served faithfully in first one and then the other.
In August 1966 Bro. PHILIP KAZEE was called as Pastor, coming from the First Baptist Church in Ceredo, West Virginia. Presently our Church has a full graded choir program for all ages. Over the past 27 years there have been several choir directors. With the help of gifts, we now have an excellent set of handbells. Our radio ministry, which we have had for some time now, carries both the morning and evening worship services on WBNT-FM. This ministry has created for the Pastor and the Church a county ministry and beyond.
The Church, recognizing a need for more Christian witnessing, organized a Mission in South Oneida in December 1962. Interest and participation grew under the initial leadership of CORA CLAIBORN SEXTON and LILLARD HUMAN and in November 1967 the Church authorized the purchase and installation of a mobile home building which provided a more satisfactory and durable facility. The Mission continued to prosper and was a blessing for many years with the help and prayers of other brothers and sisters of the church. Our church sponsored the Big Ridge Baptist Church, located on Big Ridge Road, and many of those attending the Mission became instrumental in its creation and became a part of this new church, which was constituted on July 28, 1985 with LAWRENCE HILL as its first pastor. Our church also sponsored the New Haven Baptist Church, which is located on Coopertown Road.
PHILIP R. KAZEE began his ministry at First Baptist Church on August 14,1966. Under his leadership, First Baptist Church has ministered throughout Scott County and neighboring counties from the pulpit and radio. He leads the TWB Program and was enlisted by the Southern Baptist Convention, Nashville, to write for the Baptist Adults (a
(Continued on page 10)
(Continued from page 9)
decipleship training study guide). Bro. KAZEE serves on the Board of Trustees at Carson Newman College. He and his wife, DELORES, are parents of SHARON LEE, VICKEE and PHILIP, and grandparents of MELISSA and ROBERT CALEB.
The Church staff consists of: PHILIP R. KAZEE, Pastor; MARCY LAY, Minister of Music and Youth; MARGARET WATTERS, Secretary; JANE PHILLIPS, Pianist; GINA PHILLIPS, Organist; JUDY DAMRON, Treasurer; and ROBERT MARLOW, Custodian.
Deacons are: HAROLD G. JEFFERS, STEPHEN A. MARCUM, LEWIS SEXTON, HILLARD MATTIE, JOHNNY ACRES, CARL FERGUSON, ALLEN MARTIN, STEVEN A. PHILLIPS, JOHN DAMRON, KERMIT LAXTON, J. D. REED, RALPH W. JEFFERS, JERRY FERGUSON, BEN DRAUGHN, JOHN WATSON and MIKE BAKER.
Among members of the Church who are 90 years old and older are: ALVIN LAXTON, EMMA SEXTON, WILDA SPECK, ANN JEFFERS, JIMMIE STROUD, MAUDE BALES, PEARL MARTIN, MILFORD ACRES and HELEN SLAVEN.
(FOOTNOTE ó The First Baptist Church of Oneida continues to grow and on Sunday, May 16, 1993 a special groundbreaking event was held following the worship service to formally launch the beginning construction on a new $1,641,000 building program for a new sanctuary and improvements to the existing education building. Building Committee members are: Chairman PAUL PHILLIPS, CHARLES T. (PAT) McBROOM, HAROLD G. JEFFERS, JOYCE CHITWOOD, CHARLES B. SEXTON, ALLEN MARTIN, CURTIS THOMPSON, CLARA ACRES, CARL FERGUSON, DENISE BAKER, LISA BRUMETT and CHARLES STANLEY).
FNB Chronicle, Vol. 4, No. 4 Ė Summer 1993
First National Bank
P.O. Box 4699
Oneida, TN 37841
(p1, 4-5, 8-10)
This page was created by Timothy N. West and is copyrighted by him. All rights reserved.