Reminiscing through bank’ s, county’s history
(EDITORS NOTE—On the occasion of its 80th anniversary in 1984, First National Bank of Oneida published a special booklet, filled with text and photos not only about our institution, but about the town, the county and the region. Now, as we begin our 89th year of service, we thought the readers of FNB Chronicle might want to take a glimpse into the past with us. Here is the text of that special publication).
On October 4,1904, "The Scott County Bank" opened its doors for business and became the only bank on U.S. 27 between Burnside, Kentucky and Harriman, Tennessee.
The turn of the century was a time of innovation. The first airplane flight occurred in neighboring North Carolina by Orville and Wilbur Wright; a telephone system had been built between Helenwood and Huntsville; and Coca-Cola® and Nehi® were being bottled in Oneida. Producing oil and gas wells had been drilled in Glenmary, Oneida and No Business.
Farming, the local economy’s mainstay, was being supplanted by the bustling activity of logging, mining, oil exploration and related manufacturing industries.
The South Fork Oil and Gas Company in West Oneida was chartered by R. L. STEARNS, JOHN TOOMEY, E. G. FOSTER, JAMES I. FOSTER, and W. A. KINNE for the mining and marketing of coal, petroleum and other substances. The Southern Clay Manufacturing Company was chartered on August 27, 1902 at Robbins, Tennessee. The purpose was to manufacture, sell and deal in brick, tiles, sewer pipe, clay products and byproducts of building and paving materials. Several streets and roads in the county were paved originally with Robbins brick, including portions of U.S. 27.
The vast tracts of timber in the county attracted large outside companies to locate here to extract the timber and manufacture lumber. In 1903, a band mill was installed at New River, Tennessee. In 1904, the New River Lumber Company acquired the famous Bird lands and located a mill at Norma, Tennessee. The Norma mill was one of the finest hardwood lumber manufacturers to be found in the country and, at one time, was the second largest mill in the South was designed by FRANK NORCROSS and was built under his direction. The construction was begun in 1906 and completed in 1909. The mill produced 25,000,000 feet annually of fine hardwood lumber. The town of Norma (Post Office Norcross) grew up around this big mill.
Jobs were plentiful, the economy was expanding so the time was right and the need was here for a bank. Having had banking experience in Sparta, Tennessee, W. C. ANDERSON discussed with a group of reputable merchants, farmers, citizens and businessmen the desirability of organizing a bank in Oneida: subsequently, the "Scott County Bank" was chartered. The original charter for the incorporation was filed by C. CROSS, G. W. KING, S. B. ANDERSON, O. H. ANDERSON, T. K. WILLIAMS and W. B. BOYD. The first officials of the bank were C. CROSS, President; E. G. FOSTER, Vice President; and W. C. ANDERSON, Cashier. On August 15, 1905, the Board of Directors was reported as: C. CROSS, G. W. KING, E. W. SMITH, W. C. ANDERSON, TALMON SEXTON, W. H. BUTTRAM, E. G. FOSTER, SANDERS FOSTER and JOHN C. LOWE. Many stockholders today are descendants of these founders of the bank.
The Scott County Bank’s assets grew rapidly. It was incorporated in 1904 with a capital of $20,000 and at the close of business on June 30, 1905, resources were reported at $55,178.89.
The Bear Creek Coal Company, managed by L. E. BRYANT, was organized in January, 1905. The town of Roberta, named for the mother of L. E. BRYANT, grew up around the mining operation at Bear Creek, complete with post office, stores and numerous camp houses.
Roberta was the second largest town in Scott County, Oneida being the largest. The BRYANTs, being well traveled, furnished their stately home in Roberta with pieces of furniture collected from around the world. The first "plumbed" bath tub in Scott County is said to have gone into the BRYANT home. It truly was a home ahead of its time. The home is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and although evidence of the bustling town of Roberta is long since gone, the home stands as a majestic reminder of the affluence afforded its owners by the valuable natural resources which were abundant. The home is now owned by ROBERT and NORMA MABE.
During this period of time, Coal Hill in the Glenmary section of the county was a thriving little town of about 2500 people. Separate factories engaged in the manufacture of clothespins and wooden spokes were in operation in the town of Norma.
(Continued on page 8)
(Continued from page 3)
Affects that the natural resources-related industries had on the economy were being felt in all areas of the county. There was a bucket factory, a handle factory, a bowl factory, a hickory mill and even an ice plant.
By now the bank had just been opened a little over a year and the shareholders decided to change from a state chartered bank to a national bank charter. And the bank became known as "The Scott County National Bank." Capital stock was increased to $25,000.
As the lumber industry continued to prosper and the mining, farming and manufacturing industries enjoyed good profits, it seemed to some businessmen that one bank in the county was not enough, so the Robbins Bank and Trust Company was organized by JASPER HUGHETT, JOHN PEMBERTON, L. JEFFERS, JAMES FRY and SANDERS FOSTER on January 14, 1907. The Huntsville Banking Company was chartered on March 26, 1909 by JAMES FOSTER, J. HATFIELD, PHILIP LAW, L. H. BOSHEARS, R. C. JONES, A. H. DOISY, W. H. POTTER, L. JEFFERS and J. CHAMBERS.
H. F. COOPER and ALFRED WEST were elected to the Board of Directors of the Scott County National Bank on December 20, 1913 to fill the unexpired terms of C. CROSS, Director and President, and E. G. FOSTER, Director and Vice President, who had both resigned three months earlier on September 27, 1913). TALMON SEXTON became the second President of the Board and W. H. BUTTRAM was named Vice President.
As of September 12, 1914, the three banks in Scott County reported the following total resources:
The Scott County National Bank
The First National Bank
(Formerly Huntsville Banking Co.)
The Robbins Bank & Trust Co.
In an effort to secure additional employment for Scott Countians, several businessmen and interested persons set about to recruit a knitting mill operation for Oneida. The Scott County National Bank acted as Trustee between the group of citizens who financed the building for the knitting mill and J. A. HUFF, representative of the Rockwood Mills, the proposed occupant and employers.
Oneida Mills began manufacturing hosiery late in 1916 in the South Oneida area behind the C. Cross Store building where Tibbals Flooring Company’s (Hartco) East Plant now stands. Some employees of Oneida Mills were housed in a village community that became known as "Sock Town." The brick portion of the present Hartco plant was the original hosiery mill. It was acquired by Tibbals Flooring Co. in the late 1950s.
World War I began on July 28, 1914. The United States entered the war on March 14, 1917. Before the fighting ceased on November 11, 1918, almost eight million soldiers had lost their lives in the greatest struggle the world had seen. During this time, Scott County sent approximately 500 young men into the armed forces. "Scott County furnished more men for the armed forces in World War I than any other county in the State of Tennessee, and more than any other section of the United States according to population." (From the Jamie Baker Historical Collection).
During the critical Great War months, demands for increases in coal production caused prices for coal to soar. The miners were able to accumulate small sums beyond the absolute requirement for rent, clothing and food. The washing machine, the icebox, then the refrigerator and a few "touring cars" could be seen around the camp houses.
It was reported that the Scott County National Bank dealt actively in Government securities and, supported by loyal clientele during the war, was able to achieve a record in the sale of Liberty Bonds that was unexcelled by any bank in the South with a capital of $25,000.00.
On April 25, 1919, the Scott County National Bank’s name was changed to The First National Bank of Oneida. In a communication to customers of the bank, B. L SADLER, Cashier, stated, "At a meeting of the shareholders on April 19, 1919, a resolution was offered and unanimously carried changing the name of this bank to The First National Bank of Oneida.’ We are today in receipt of a telegram from the Comptroller of the Currency in Washington, D.C. approving this, and the change becomes effective from this date.
"All communications should hereafter be directed to ‘First National Bank’ but letters addressed to us under the former name will be received. The same check books may be used until you are supplied with new forms. There has been a feeling for a long time among the management, that this change should be made, as the people generally are more familiar with this name, and have a greater degree of confidence in that for which it stands. There is no change in any of the stock, or any of the officers or directors, on account of this, but is simply a change in name. The bank is now in its fifteenth year, has had a steady growth from the beginning and has never failed to pay a substantial dividend in any year of its existence. Its losses have been insignificant, and has had but few legal controversies. Our total resources on date of last call from the Comptroller were $378,855.81 and surpassed all previous records. Our investments are widely distributed and carefully selected, thereby assuring the highest element of safety . . ."
For the first sixteen years in business, the bank’s main office was located in a building on the corner of Bank and Depot streets on land acquired from Mr. and Mrs. C. CROSS. The property was sold in 1923 and later housed the Oneida Bank and Trust Company for more than 60 years. The building is presently occupied by Energy Bank of Oak Ridge.
Anticipating the need for more adequate housing for the bank, the board bought the City Hotel land on the corner of Main and Depot streets from ELI COOPER (father of H. F. COOPER). This was the first hotel built in Scott County. The hotel building was sold by the bank at auction on June 26, 1920 for $300 and removed from the site by the buyer, as agreed, by September, 1920. The new building was under construction when the Board was approached by local businessman J. B. CHAMBERS to purchase a lot on the north side of the bank. It was agreed to sell Mr. CHAMBERS a lot for $3,000. A short time later, the business district of Oneida began developing around the area of the Southern Railway lines which were being fed by two branch lines: the Tennessee Railroad, which was built in 1907, extended through Paint Rock to Norma and on to Fork Mountain, and the Oneida and Western (O&W) Railroad, built in 1915, ran from Oneida to Jamestown, Tennessee. The Ritter Lumber Company Railroad line, the Kentucky and Tennessee (K&T) and the Ketchen railroads also served the county.
The move to the new bank building took place on the evening of August 9, 1921 and the bank was opened for business in its new quarters on August 10, 1921. This site remained the main office of The First National Bank of Oneida (for 46 years) until 1967.
In 1923, five banks were in operation in Scott County. The First Trust & Savings Bank and the Oneida Bank and Trust Company joined the three existing banks which were The First National Bank of Oneida, The First National Bank of Huntsville and the Robbins Bank and Trust Company.
The National Bank Act of 1863 provided that national banks could purchase bonds and deposit them with the Treasurer of the United States, which issued to the banks national bank notes. The actual printing was done by the Bureau of Printing and Engraving, thus reducing the danger of counterfeiting. Each national bank was required to accept the notes of others, and they were redeemable in lawful money at the bank of issue and at the Treasury. In 1929, $10 and $20 notes were issued by The First National Bank of Oneida and signed by TALMON SEXTON, President, and E. C. TERRY, Cashier. In 1935, however, the last government bond that could be used as collateral for these notes were paid off and retired, so that no new national bank notes have been issued since that date, and notes outstanding have been redeemed as rapidly as they have been turned in by the public. A few remain outstanding in the hands of collectors.
BROMMA PARNELL (JOHNSON PEMBERTON) was hired as stenographer and bookkeeper in 1930, on a trial basis. She jokes today of her so-called "trial basis" job which lasted more than 50 years! During her career with the bank, she has served as Assistant Cashier, Cashier, Vice President, Senior Vice President and has been a member of the Board of Directors since 1979. She was the first woman officer of the First National Bank, as well as the first woman to hold the positions of Director and Senior Vice President.
BROMMA is very involved with civic, community and professional organizations, having held regional and statewide officerships in the National Association of Bank Women’s organization and was state President of the Business and Professional Women’s Club. She retired from day-today participation in the bank activities in 1980, but remains active as Senior Vice President and member of the Board of Directors.
On March 6, 1933, two days, after his inauguration, President FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT proclaimed a national bank holiday. Never in the history of the country had such utter chaos devastated our financial system. This was more than a panic . . . the very worst had occurred; before the year was out, almost 3,000 banks closed their doors, never to reopen.
All five local banks reported noticeable declines in total resources, but First National Bank of Oneida, First Trust and Savings Bank and Oneida Bank and Trust Company all managed to weather the turmoils of the Depression years with little scarring. However, the First National Bank of Huntsville and the Robbins Bank and Trust Company were unable to overcome the pressures imposed by the low state of the economy. The First National Bank of Huntsville closed in 1932 and the Robbins Bank and Trust Company finally succumbed to the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation on April 14, 1937. Liabilities were assumed and certain assets were purchased from the failed Robbins Bank and Trust Company by First National Bank of Oneida.
The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, which insures depositors up to certain specified sums, resulted from the 1933 Banking Act.
Even during the Depression times, the bank was doing community services. Records for the WPA (Works Progress Administration), were kept by the bank and work lists for the men who would get to work each week were posted outside the bank.
The "ballpark" property was acquired by the bank in 1930 and the property was rented to the Scott County Fair Association for a fairgrounds until 1934 when the land was sold to the Scott County Fair Association for $850.00. This property remains the site of the annual Scott County Fair.
Plateau Electric Cooperative formed on June 9, 1939, with an original board composed of H. F. COOPER, E. C. TERRY, J. W. BAKER, P. L REAGAN, H. H. CANNADA, E. W. MELHORN and W. M. TODD.
On Sunday, December 7, 1941 at 7:55 a.m., the United States was shocked by the bombing of Pearl Harbor, our largest naval base in the Pacific. Congress immediately declared war on Japan, bringing the United States into World War II. The war united America. Everyone joined in the one great common purpose. Approximately 2,000 Scott Countians assisted the armed forces. Many Scott Countians commuted daily by buses to the Oak Ridge, Tennessee plants and, unbeknownst to them, helped make the atomic bombs which were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Others volunteered for Red Cross work, bought war bonds and saved old scrap paper and rubber.
The war affected the banking industry also. On June 27, 1942, the interest rate paid on time deposits was lowered to 1-1/2% and, on July 1, 1943, the rate was further lowered to 1%. Local loan sources had virtually dried up and other investment returns drastically decreased. Some banks entirely stopped paying interest for deposits during this time.
In 1943, a terrific blow was dealt the bank with the death of its president of more than 30 years, TALMON SEXTON. TALMON SEXTON’s children are KERMIT, CLIFFORD, AUTHOR and BELLE SEXTON, and ORE MAE YANCEY, BESSIE JEFFERS and ROSA LEE BETHEL.
E. C. TERRY was elected President to succeed Mr. SEXTON and served in that capacity until 1959 and continued as a director until his death in 1967. E. C. TERRY was the father of ADRIENNE BAKER and COLLEEN KEY.
Four employees managed the day-today work flow of the bank until the mid 1950s.
Until March 14, 1958, the banks. in Scott County had enjoyed more than 50 years of peaceful existence. At noon on this fateful day, a lanky coastguardsman, who said he needed money to get married the next day, robbed the First National Bank of Oneida of $6,196. The robber was
captured three hours later in neighboring Kentucky and the money was recovered, but suspense continued to mount as the robber became a suspect in the murder of a retired Straight Fork miner whose pistol the robber admitted having; The murder charges were never proven, but the robber was sentenced to 20 years for bank robbery.
The 1950s and 60s were an exciting, prosperous time both for the community and First National Bank of Oneida.
The Scott County Hospital opened on January 15,1956 with 38 beds. Dr. MILFORD THOMPSON was the first Chief of Staff and MILDRED CROSS was the Superintendent of Nurses. The building committee for the Scott County Hospital was composed of Dr. H. M. LEEDS, Dr. M. F. FRAZIER, Judge CHARLES MARCUM, HOWARD H. BAKER, Jr., ROBERT CARSON, W. H. SWAIN and C. LEE SMITH.
The Oneida Industrial Park was located on a 53-acre tract in Oneida. The Boss Manufacturing Plant, which manufactured gloves, located in Oneida in 1956, joining an already well-established Tibbals Flooring Company. Industrial water lines and a water tank were built in Oneida in 1957 and the Highland Telephone Cooperative was organized. Citizens Gas Utility District purchased the privately-owned and operated natural gas company. That era of our local history also saw major -water and sewer service expansion within the town of Oneida and the surrounding area, in addition to the emergence of the Huntsville Utility District.
The Scott County Airport was built in 1960.
In 1961, Arvin Industries, Inc., a large corporation engaged in the manufacture of electric heaters and lawn furniture, moved to Oneida’s new Industrial Park and became a leading employer of Scott Countians. After the Arvin plant was relocated in Mississippi, the B. F. Goodrich Hose and Belt Plant moved to the vacated building and currently employs approximately 250.
The American Frame Manufacturing Company (commonly called the Box Factory) was in operation in Elgin.
The First National Bank of Oneida shared in the progress of the county. Its banking office was remodeled, a night depository was installed, a 100% stock dividend was declared in 1958, which increased the capital stock of $50,000, installment lending activity increased, capital stock was once again increased in 1961 to $100,000 and a branch office in the Huntsville-Helen wood area was being considered.
After a successful bid to purchase controlling stock in First National Bank of Oneida from the Hamilton National Associates, and enroute back to Oneida from closing the deal in Knoxville, Dr. MILFORD THOMPSON and HOWARD BAKER, Jr., reportedly were deciding who should run the day-to-day activities of the bank.
As they drove past Swain Lumber Mills in Helenwood, they decided they would approach BILL SWAIN with the job offer.
At that time, SWAIN, one of the founders of each, was serving on a volunteer basis as President of the Highland Telephone Cooperative, the Huntsville Utility District and was a member of the Scott County Hospital Board, as well as being active in the Scott County Chamber of Commerce, the Oneida Kiwanis Club and the community Industrial Development effort. The suggestion was broached that, inasmuch as he was spending at least half his time on these efforts without compensation, he could spend that time for a couple of years managing the bank and be paid something besides.That half time job turned out to be about time-and-a-half for at least the next ten years, because the bank grew quickly beyond anyone’s most optimistic, initial expectations.
Having moved to Scott County from Detroit, Michigan, to start a lumber business at so young an age that he had to be declared by the court to be of legal age, W. H. SWAIN had no previous banking experience, except, as he says, being very experienced at borrowing money.
Still, the idea of running the bank was a challenge he accepted head-on and his enthusiasm, forward thinking and business management background proved to be the key to the success the bank was able to achieve under its new management.
He continued to run Swain Lumber Mills by spending part of each day at the mill and part of the day at the bank and, at the same time, rounded out his financial education by graduating from Louisiana State University’s School of Banking of the South (in 1962), and Harvard’s Business School Advanced Management Program (in 1969).
The bank prospered under his leadership. Total resources went from $2,793,852.67 to $10,465,497.49 in just 10 years and to its present total of approximately $60,000,000.00 (in 1984, when this book was published).
Profits for the bank during the first five years of SWAIN’s leadership exceeded the total of profits for the previous 54 years of the bank’s existence.
Sites had been considered in Huntsville, Helenwood and Robbins for deposit stations and branch offices since 1958. On January 26, 1966 the Central Branch of First National Bank of Oneida was opened in Helenwood. This was the first branch office of a Scott County bank and featured Scott County’s first drive-in window service. An Advisory Board, composed of TASKEL WELCH, ARZO CARSON, EARL BURRESS, R. H. TROXEL, GROVER PEMBERTON, W. H. SWAIN and Norman Acres was established so insight and suggestions could be gained from various perspectives as to how customer needs could best be served by the new community office.
Trouble soon befell the newly opened office at Helenwood, however. Having been open less than two months, burglars entered the bank on the evening of Wednesday, March 16, and got away with $13,000.00.
By this time, the First National Bank of Oneida had grown to total resources of $6,772,413.20 and employed 14 persons. It was no longer possible to operate either comfortably or efficiently in the main office building that had housed the bank since 1921.
On June 20, 1966, the Farmer’s Supply, Inc. property, located at the corner of Alberta and Depot streets (directly across U.S. 27 from the O&W Railway main office building now occupied by Dr. GEORGE KLINE) was purchased and construction on the new main office building was begun. Sixteen months later, on October 4, 1967, the new main office quarters were dedicated.
RONNIE BLEVINS was the first customer at the newly opened office. Young BLEVINS, a newspaper delivery boy at the time, made his deposit from his bicycle at the drive-in window.
Our President W. H. SWAIN served as a member of the Board of Directors of the Federal Reserve Bank of Nashville from 1968 through 1970.
HOWARD H. BAKER, Jr.’s resignation of the Chairman of the Board on July 8, 1970 was accepted because his duties as U.S. Senator prevented him from regularly attending Board meetings. Dr. MILFORD THOMPSON was elected Chairman of the Board to succeed him..
A year later, growth in the field of secondary education in Scott County took a leap forward with the completion of the new Scott High School building, just off State Hwy. 63 and U.S. 27 in Helenwood. The new four-year institution represented a consolidation of long-established but small community high schools in Scott County
JACK D. WALZ joined the First National Bank of Oneida in 1972 as Executive Vice President, Cashier and Chief Operating Officer. Today he serves as Vice Chairman of the Board and a Director.
By this time, the bank’s capital had another increase, bringing it to $400,000.00, plus surplus of $400,000.00 and undivided profits of $363,810.40, making total capital of $1,163,810.40, with total resources of $17,308,514.46.
On October 31, 1973, the Huntsville Office was opened in the building which had housed the First National Bank of Huntsville. The original fixtures of the earlier bank, combined with other turn-of-the-century furniture and fixtures that have been added, make this office of the bank truly unique, a drive-in facility with Scott County’s first pneumatic (underground) tube transaction carrier was added for customer convenience. Application has been made for the Huntsville Office of First National Bank to be placed on both the State and National Registers of Historic Buildings.
The 1970s saw an increase in oil and natural gas exploration in Scott County and the ‘West Oneida Fields’ discovery brought an oil boom into focus. Coal mining was still under way and the development of two industrial sites in Helenwood have attracted several manufacturers, including present occupants: Terrier Industries, Inc., contractors for government sewing projects; Cumberland Wood Industries, Inc., manufacturers of industrial wooden spools; and Thuerer, Inc., which manufactures tractor trailers.
In addition, this beginning of rapid industrial growth in Scott County has brought with it the development of several other related industries which include tool and die makers and machine shops. The county now serves as the national headquarters for two major log home manufacturing firms, both located in Winfield.
One of the momentous events for the future of Scott County came in 1974 when an Act of Congress created the Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area. The area comprises 123,000 acres of extraordinarily scenic mountain land in and around the age-old gorge of the Big South Fork of the Cumberland River. It lies in Scott, Morgan and Fentress counties in Tennessee and McCreary, Wayne and Pulaski counties in Kentucky. The park headquarters is located near the entrance to the Leatherwood Ford recreation site west of Oneida in Scott County.
Tourism and the inherent service jobs which will be created to accommodate future visitors to the scenic attraction are
expected to profoundly impact the economy of Scott County, the official headquarters for the Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area. What should develop into one of the most popular attractions of the BSF park, Bandy Creek Recreation Area, is located in Scott County and is scheduled for completion later this year.
Only July 12, 1975, the bank donated property it owned in Elgin to Highland Health Center, Inc., on which a regional health clinic was built and is in operation serving the health needs of the south end of the county.
In keeping with an earlier established policy to bring the services of the bank conveniently close to its customers, the Winfield Office opened in October, 1975. With the opening of this office, the bank had furthered its goal to have an office location in close reach to its customers and the developing business centers of the county.
Certain risks came with the establishment of banking offices in outlying communities, as was evidenced by the burglary of the newly opened Helenwood Office.
These risks came to bear again when the Winfield Office was robbed by a group of masked gunmen, not once but on two separate occasions. Providing convenience to our customers has not been without hazards, and these risks were taken into consideration before the community offices were established. Still, it was determined that the benefits far outweighed the risks.
In America’s Bicentennial year, 1976, the Independent Herald newspaper began publishing a weekly newspaper, joining the Scott County News which was established in 1915. This marked only the second time the county had had two local newspapers publishing simultaneously.
Less than 10 years after moving into the new main office building that was supposed to adequately house the bank for a number of years, the quarters had been outgrown. The "Old Bank Building" property on the corner of Main and Depot streets was renovated and the bank’s Bookkeeping Department was moved back to the location which had housed the entire operations of’ First National Bank several years earlier. This is now the Operations Center into which all banking transactions are funneled daily and are processed by a state-of-the-art computer system.
In 1979, two pneumatic tube facilities expanded the drive-in lanes at the main office to accommodate three vehicles simultaneously and customer business hours at these windows were extended to 6:00 p.m. six days a week.
During the bank’s 75th Anniversary celebration in 1979, BROMMA PEMBERTON was named by the Board of Directors as the "Golden Girl" of the bank’s Diamond Jubilee, in recognition of her 50 years of service to the bank.
W. H. SWAIN served as President of the Tennessee Banker’s Association in 1982 and as State Chairman of the Small Business Administration’s Advisory Council from 1981-85. Senior Vice Presidents MICHAEL B. SWAIN and SCOTT THOMPSON assumed responsibility for day-to-day operation of the bank.
In 1983, the Helenwood Office was expanded to accommodate an additional loan office, another drive-in facility and "First Banker," a 24-hour automated teller machine. The first automated teller machine in Scott County had just a few months earlier been installed at the main office of First National Bank in Oneida.
A hodgepodge of bank logos, as evidenced by the accompanying pictures, have been used over the years. Seeing the need for the bank to be easily identifiable and projecting the desired image, a new logo was introduced in 1984 and coordinated outdoor signs at all offices were among the first places the new logo appeared.
The First National Bank of Oneida now employs 57 Scott Countians and enjoys the distinction of being the oldest corporation in Scott County.
Thank you for reminiscing with us through these historical highlights of the First National Bank of Oneida and how it relates to the history of Scott County. We are proud of the many dreams we have helped our customers fulfill, of the numerous and varied civic projects we have sponsored and participated in, and of the daily fellowships we have with our friends.
When it is all said and done, you, our customer, through your trust and loyalty, are what has made us the bank we are today . . . and that is why you will always be "Number 1" to us.
FNB Chronicle, Vol. 4 No. 2 – Winter 1993
First National Bank
P.O. Box 4699
Oneida, TN 37841
page 3, 8-10
This page was created by Timothy N. West and is copyrighted by him. All rights reserved.