(EDITOR’S NOTE — Three sisters were honored in a special ceremony at Robbins Elementary School on May 24, 1992 for their teaching careers — a combined total of more than 100 years, ranging from tenures in one-room school houses to being in charged of classrooms in huge consolidated schools. Those sisters are MAE STOREY, PEARL STOREY McCARTY and MAGGIE STOREY BARGER. FNB Chronicle joins the rest of the county in saluting these women and their contribution to education in Scott County. The information to follow is a brief account of each of the three sisters and their accomplishments. Also, see "Yesterday ... Today ... Tomorrow" salute on page 12)
MAGGIE S. BARGER
MAGGIE S. BARGER, wife of the late ARTHUR BARGER, was born February 17, 1919 in the log house built by the Redmond family on Black Wolf Creek near Glenmary. MAGGIE is the mother of three children, MARGARET BARGER ELLIS, JAMES ARTHUR BARGER and MARION BARGER PAPAS.
She attended Glenmary Elementary School, Robbins High School and Berea College for one and a half years before marrying. After the youngest child was old enough to go to school, she went back to college to become certified to teach in the elementary grades because at that time there was a need for prepared teachers. She continued to teach and go to school at Tennessee Polytechnic Institute until 1955 when she received her B.S. degree with Highest Distinction. Also, while there she was selected to join Kappa Delta Pi, an educational honor society. In 1968, she began her graduate work in Special Education at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville where she was to become the first person in Scott County, to certify in this area.
To her credit are 34 years teaching experience plus a half year of unused sick leave days. She has 6 years teaching experience at Glenmary where she was principal, 4 years at Robbins Elementary, 4 years as Special Education teacher at Rugby Road, 8 years as Special Education and Social Studies teacher at Robbins High School and 14 years in the Vocational Advancement Program at Scott High School.
She attends and supports the Rugby Road United Methodist Church where she has been a member since 1946 and treasurer since 1957. She continues to .help with Bible School and to teach an adult Sunday School class.
Her hobbies are gardening, "yardening", sewing, cooking, bird watching and study, hiking for exercise, plant study and just enjoying being outside in "my Fathers world." Reading is doing the things she wants for pleasure and to keep informed:
Since retiring 8 years ago, she does volunteer work at Historic Rugby, is active in the Scott County Historical Society, and loves to explore and study old cemeteries. She is a charter member of the Morgan School Project, which has as it goal Christian concern for others.
She has also been an active member in the Extension Homemakers Club for more than 30 years. A most rewarding part of this program is the opportunity to work with young people in 4-H work.
She is an active member of Retired Teachers Association, where there is fellowship with other teachers, opportunity to work with scholarship programs, speech contests and Scholars Bowl. For the past 2 years she has been a member and supporter of the Senior Citizens group which meets on Tuesday at the Rugby Road United Methodist Church.
MYNTHA MAE STOREY
She received her early education in the Glenmary Elementary School. She then attended Robbins High School., After finishing high school she went
Teachers College at Johnson City, Tennessee, during the summers, until she earned enough credits to acquire a
Permanent Professional Teaching Certificate. She later transferred to Tennessee Polytechnic Institute and earned her B.S. degree. She attended the University of Tennessee and earned her Masters degree. She taught in the following schools: Glenmary, Coal Hill, Robbins, Rugby Road, Griffith, West Robbins, and at both Rugby Road and Robbins again for a total of 40 years.
In 1926 she entered Robbins High School. At that time Scott county did not own a school bus. The roads were not paved. Highway 27 was not in existence.
LEE HAYNES’ father owned a Model T Ford and his son, LEE, was a student and also the driver of the Model T. Each pupil that went in the Ford helped with the gasoline expenses. There were seven students going.
Everything went well until March 4, 1927. The Americans Hardwood Flooring Co. mill burnt at Glenmary. Most of the people that lived around the Glenmary area were left without jobs. Most of the people that could afford to go moved away.
Mr. HAYNES was kind enough to let MYNTHA and her sister finish the last three months of school without charge for the gasoline.
During the summer a hiring job at $5.00 a week earned enough money to pay for the second years schools supplies. After the second year she and her sister managed to work and earn enough
(Continued on page 10)
(Continued from page 2)
money to pay for their expenses until they finished high school in 1930.
In 1930 s-he managed to borrow enough money to attend school that summer without making any security. It took her three years to get on her own. She has been on her own ever since. She encouraged her sisters and brothers to stay in school and better themselves. Two of her sisters became teachers and the youngest became a nurse.
She belongs to the Congregational Church at Glenmary and has attended that church for 75 years. She was also a Sunday School teacher and a Sunday School Superintendent. She also helped with Bible School.
She joined the Eastern Star in 1930 and served twice as Worthy Matron and filled most of the other stations and is still a member.
After retiring she worked 2 years at the Morgan County Health Center two days a week.
She is a charter member of the Morgan Scott Project and also a charter member of the Appalachia Habitat and is still a member.
PEARL STOREY McCARTY
She began her life in Robbins, Tennessee on August 6, 1911. She is the middle child of a family of five children.
School began for, her in the fall of 1917 at the Half-Way School between Glenmary and Coal Hill. The family lived on the Pemberton farm west of Glenmary. It was about 1.5 miles to school when walking. She attended school at the Half-Way School until she finished 5th grade.
Her teachers were FRANKIE ROSS from Robbins, JAMES BABCOCK from Glenmary, MAGGIE WEBB LEWALLEN from MARY (?), and WILLARD JEFFERS from Low Gap near New River.
In 1922, a new schoolhouse was built on Huckeby Hill, southwest of Glenmary.
Her teachers during elementary school were LENA SMITHERS from Robbins, CLARK LEWALLEN from Robbins, and LAWRENCE DAVIS from Robbins
In 1926 she entered Robbins High School. It was different from elementary school life. The total enrollment was less than 100 students and they had four teachers.
She and her sister, MAE STOREY, and three other students traveled to Robbins from Glenmary in a Model T Ford owned by LEE HAYNES (a gift from his father, WOFFERD HAYNES). Mr. HAYNES had a job with the Southern Railroad. He kept he water tanks filled for the steam engines.
PEARL worked in people’s homes doing housework, at the Glass House, and at W.M. Ritter Lumber Company store. Daring the Second World War she was sent to Knoxville to a sheet metal school. When she did the required number of hours she was sent to Alliance, Ohio to work in an airplane factory. She did some sheet metal work and some welding. She came home in 1943.
She began substitute teaching in the Bobbins Elementary School in the spring of 1944. She was hired to teach in the Glenmary School in 1945-1946. She ordered a set of books for the 6th, 7th and 8th grade. She studied the lessons ahead of the students and made out fairly well.
She taught 2 years at Glenmary, took correspondence courses from the University of Tennessee, went to school in the summer and graduated from a 2 year college in Williamsburg, Kentucky in 1948.
She taught in the following schools: Glenmary as Principal teacher (2 years), Pemberton as principal teacher (1 year), Robbins Elementary (4 years), Robbins High School (17 years), and Scott High School (7 years).
Her activities are many and varied. She is a long time member of Barton Chapel U.C.C. She is presently a Deaconess in the church, Sunday School Superintendent and teacher of the Adult class. She is a member of the Thrift Shop Committee: She is representative for the church on the Morgan Scott Board of Christian concerns. She is a member of the Sunshine Chapter #279 O.E.S. She has served as Worthy Matron twice. She is a member of the Rugby Craft Corp. Also, she has done some volunteer work in the Rugby Library.
She reads, crochets, makes quilts and does canning from the garden in her spare time. She is living her golden years with her husband, HARRY McCARTY, with the feeling of pride and fulfillment in the work that she feels she has shared her life in something worthwhile.
FNB Chronicle, Vol. 3, No. 4 – Summer 1992
First National Bank
P.O. Box 4699
Oneida, TN 37841
This page was created by Timothy N. West and is copyrighted by him. All rights reserved.