The Blackman Community-1806 to 1986
 "History of Blackman Community" by Robert William Baskin Sr., 1986 
This information contains excerpts from the book.  
 Many thanks to Mr. Thomas Blackman 
                                                                                                   
                                Since the very beginning of the settlement of this
                               county, Blackman Community has played a major role in its
                               social, economic an historical development, The land is
                               unsurpassed in its fertility, it is level and free of rock and
                               hills, the people have been most enterprising and this
                               community was the bread basket during the Civil War,
                               There is a store at the crossroads and it once had a post
                               office and blacksmith shop. There were doctors to look
                               after the sick and a school and two churches. Basically,
                               Blackman has always been noted for its broad, rich fields
                               and is too close to Murfreesboro to develop into a business
                               community.  

                                  Blackman was named for one of its earliest settlers, Esq.
                               Alfred Blackman who came to Rutherford County from
                               Sampson County, North Carolina in 1808 with his father,
                               James Blackman and others of the family, The Blackmans,
                               Kings and Snells came to the county near the same time and
                               they were related.  

                                  Esquire Alfred Blackman was born at Clinton, Sampson
                               County, North Carolina in 1790 and was 18 years of age
                               upon arrival. As the years passed, he acquired much land.
                               He put up a blacksmith Shop on the southeast corner of the
                               crossroads before the Civil War and prior to that conflict,
                               the area was called Blackman's Shop. In 1898, the
                               Blackmans (five in number) petitioned for and established a
                               post office, and since that time the name has been called
                               Blackman.