Abstracted by Jonathan Kennon Thompson Smith
Copyright, Jonathan K. T. Smith, 2004

(Page 6)


January 21, 1842

RANDAL, IRVIN, JACOB, JOHN, BETTY and her child, all slaves, would be sold in accordance with the last will and testament of LODWICK B. BEECH, in Franklin, Jany. 24, 1842.


January 28, 1842

WILLIAM P. HARRISON died Williamson Co., Tenn., Jan. 20, 1842 aged about 50 years.

JAMES BELL, Dumbarton, Scotland, died Nashville, Tenn., Jan. 20, 1842 in the: 34th year of his age.


February 18, 1842

MAACAH [sic] W. wife of John P. IRION died Henry Co., Tenn., Feb. 7, 1842 in 72nd year of her age.

ROBERT M. son of David BELL, Williamson Co., Tenn., died Feb. 13, 1842 aged about 17 years.


March 4, 1842

RICHARD HALEY, SR. died Williamson Co., Tenn., Feb. 22, 1842 aged 76 years. Baptist.


March 11, 1842

LEWIS WILLIAMS, Congressman from the 13th District of No. Carolina died recently.

BIOGRAPHICAL DIRECTORY OF THE AMERICAN CONGRESS, 1774-1971, Washington, D. C, 1971, page 1930:

WILLIAMS, Lewis (brother of John Williams, of Tennessee, and Robert Williams and cousin of Marmaduke Williams), a Representative from North Carolina; born in Surry County, N.C., February 1, 1782; was graduated from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1808; member of the State house of commons in 1813 and 1814; elected to the Fourteenth and to the thirteen succeeding Congresses and served from March 4, 1815, until his death; was known as the "Father of the House"; died in Washington, D.C., February 23, 1842; interment in Panther Creek Cemetery, Surry County, N.C.


MARY N. daughter of Colonel Richard SWANSON died Williamson Co., Tenn., Mar. 1, 1842.

Miss LOUISA PULS died in the residence of F. H. Jackson, Williamson Co., Tenn., Feb. 17, 1842 aged 18 years. Methodist.


March 25, 1842

Mrs. MARY BARHAM died Franklin, Tenn., Mar. 22, 1842 aged about 45 years.

Likely Negroes.

ON Saturday, the 9th day of April, 1842 the undersigned, as administrator on the estate of Lucy Ann Winstead, by a degree of Williamson Circuit Court, will expose to the highest bidder at a credit of twelve months, at the court house in the town of Franklin, as the property of said estate, the following negroes, to wit:


At the same time and place the undersigned as acting executor of William Winstead, under a decree of the Williamson Circuit Court, will sell to the highest bidder upon a credit of twelve months, as the property of said estate, NEGRO GIRL BETSY.

The purchaser in each case will be required to give bond with two or more approved securities.

March 25th, 1842.


(Page 7)

April 1, 1842

MARY MEDORAH daughter of R. M. and Mary C. CROOK died near Franklin, Tenn., of scarlet fever, Mar. 26, 1842 aged 3 years.


April 8, 1842

CATHARINE ELIZABETH daughter of Mrs. Mary McCUTCHEN, aged 10 years, died Williamson Co., Tenn., Mar. 30, 1842.

N. H. son of Nimrod PORTER, esq., Maury Co., Tenn. died Knox Co., Tenn., Mar. 17, 1842 "on the threshold of life." [Perhaps this is meant on the threshold of MANHOOD?]

NANCY L. wife of Johnson D. Williams died Franklin, Tenn., Apr. 3, 1842. Cumberland Presbyterian.


April 15, 1842

The slaves belonging to LABAN HARTLEY, SR., Williamson Co., Tenn., namely, PHILIP, 80 years old and wife, ANNA, aged 55 years; MARIAH, aged 19 years; would be sold by Laban Hartley, Jr., April 16, 1842.


April 22, 1842

The Lost Wife

          Some 10 or 11 years ago, the wife of the Rev. Isaac Taylor, of the M. E. Church, Jefferson County, Ala., was residing. The circumstances of the case are somewhat as follows, as related by Mr. Taylor: She laid down at night as usual; some time in the night she was up and down two or three times, going out of doors and coming in again; she then took the least child an infant at the breast, kissed it and then laid it in Mr. Taylors arms, told him to keep it till she returned, and left the house and returned no more; the next day he made known her elopement to his friends; search was made from time to time, by perhaps hundreds of persons, but to no purpose. Various were the rumors put in circulation from year to year, and as various were the surmises of the public. Taylor was persecuted in some places, the church would not hear him preach, though he has continued to labor in the ministry and assert his innocency; yet public suspicion rested upon him.
          After the lapse of six years, he married a second wife, and it is said by his neighbors that all the time his moral character was without exception. After his wife was missing, he moved from the place, the premises was occupied by another family; they set fire to a large hollow stump in the field no great distance from the house; after the stump was consumed, there were bones found where it stood; the neighbors collected together, had a warrant issued for Taylor, he was arrested, taken before a Justice of the Peace, committed, and stood his trial at the regular term of the Circuit Court for Jefferson County; there being no proof against him, he was acquitted. The matter then rested until now. Very recently, the letter, (a copy of which I enclose in the present communication,) was received at Blountsville, directed to the Post Master of that place, post marked Brooklin, Mississippi, --
          The circumstances all together are so strange and singular, that I have thought they would be interesting to the public, and with a view that it may cast further light on the subject, I send them to you and request that you will give them a place in your valuable and widely circulating Journal.

I am, with respect,
Yours &c.
San Augustine, Texas, Nov. 26th, 1841.

To the Citizens of Blountsville, Ala. and its vicinity.

          I expect you will be very much surprised to receive a communication of this kind; but my conscience compels me to disclose the matter. I expect you all will recollect the circumstances of Isaac Taylor's wife leaving the county, and no person knew how, when nor where she went. By this, you will see that about two weeks previous to her leaving, I happened at Taylor's house and he was absent. His wife and I got to talk over old matters Before I go any further I will tell you how she and I were engaged to be married before Taylor ever courted her, and she told me that in her present situation she was perfectly miserable, and that she had rather die than to live with Taylor another year. She at last said I was the object of her love and Taylor the cause of her misery. She also said if I was willing, she would start with me to Texas. The next day I told her to prepare herself with men's clothing by that day two weeks, and between 10 and 3 o'clock at night I would be there and ready to start to Texas. She then insisted to carry her youngest child; I told her it would not do, and she agreed to leave all, so the time arrived and according to agreement I came and found her in readiness. I had two first rate horses, and they well rigged; she mounted one and I the other, and we set sail for the Mississippi. After we had traveled about four miles, we left the road about 250 yards and alighted, and she put on her coat, waistcoat and pants and I cut off her hair, and we mounted and again set sail, and by daylight we were about twenty miles from Taylor's. We cheerfully pursued on our journey, and arrived in Vicksburg on the 6th day after we started; by this time she was a very snug looking man. We sold our horses and took passage for New Orleans; the 5th day we arrived safe in New Orleans; we then got passage on board of a schooner to Galveston Island in Texas, and owing to the unfavorable winds, were 19 days getting to Galveston, then we arrived safe and sound. After staying there four days we went to San Phillippi on horses; she was still a man; we did not like this, and we started back to Nacogdoches, and on the way she shifted clothes, and became a woman again. We lived in the vicinity of Nacogdoches until 1836, and during this time a host of the Boxes, from Blount, moved in. I accordingly met with Wm. Box, and lay at old Pullin's and my wife was present, and Bill eyed her so close, we moved immediately to the Sulpher Fork of Red River, and there remained until last fall, when my wife took the congestive fever and died. On her death bed she requested me to do what I am now doing. I was back in Nacogdoches in '39 and '40, and I found half of Blount county there; even little Henderson, Parmer, Green, Harrison, Jim Brown, and all the Boxes in the world. I leave the matter with you, without giving any names. I would give names but I am afraid of being murdered by some of the friends of the parties. Adieu! Adieu!


(Page 8)

April 29, 1842

ANN ELIZABETH daughter of John P. McKAY died April 24, 1842 in 15th year of her age.

MARY ANN infant daughter of S. & M. ODEN, Williamson Co., Tenn., died Mar. 15, 1842 aged about 3 years.


May 6, 1842

The former residence of JAMES HUGHES, SR., dec., would be sold, along with 100 acres of land in Williamson Co., Tenn. on May 13, 1842.


May 13, 1842

SARAH ELLEN daughter of William C. and Martha W. PORTER, Franklin, Tenn., died May 10, 1842 aged about 19 months.


May 27, 1842

MARGARET P. wife of John MARSHALL died Franklin, Tenn., May 23, 1842.


June 3, 1842

ANNA T. wife of Edward H. ALLEN, Williamson Co., Tenn., died May 24, 1842 aged about 29 years. Methodist.

Hon. JOHN WHITE, a justice of the Alabama Supreme Court died Talladega, Ala., May 11, 1842 in the 57th year of his age.


June 17, 1842

B. B. TOON, administrator of JOSEPH POLLARD's estate, advertised for persons with claims against this estate to file same before Nov. 28, 1842.


June 24, 1842

CARY A. HARRIS died Franklin, Tenn., June 17, 1842 in the 36th year of his age; orphaned when young, he became a lawyer; appointed commissioner of Indian Affairs, 1836-1837 and soon afterwards became president of the Real Estate Bank of Arkansas which position he held until his death; husband and father.

MARY JANE daughter of Decatur and Margaret Jane HANSBROUGH, Canton, Miss., died June 21, 1842.


July 8, 1842

MARIA LOUISA wife of Thomas K. HANDY, Franklin, Tenn., died June 30, 1842 aged about 25 years.

Dr. ALBERT G. HUGHES died Williamson Co., Tenn., June 21, 1842 aged 27 years.

Dr. A. C. MALLOY died July 2, 1842 [a panegyric in his memory appeared in the July 15 issue].

LUCY daughter of Thomas J. and Ann J. MILLER died July 4, 1842 aged 2 years, 1 month and 12 days [born May 22, 1840].


July 15, 1842

CATHARINE C. wife of Lodwick B. BEECH; native of Nottingham Co., Pa., died Williamson Co., Tenn., June 28, 1842 aged about 50 years.

MARY wife of George W. BARKER died June 10, 1842.


July 22, 1842

JOHN ANDREWS, aged citizen of Williamson Co., Tenn. died July 7, 1842. Methodist. Veteran of the Revolutionary War. [His war service pension application, S2908, reveals that he was born in Dinwiddie Co., Va., April 4, 1764.]

JAMES K. POLK son of Captain M. HELM died Columbia, Tenn., July 1, 1842 aged about 5 years.


(Page 9)

MARY EMELINE wife of Richard CHRISTMAS, formerly of Williamson Co., Tenn., died Washington Co., Miss., June 27, 1842. "She is gone and forever - her life's sun is set."

JOHN McCUTCHEN, veteran of the Revolutionary War, aged 90 years, died Davidson Co., Tenn., where he had lived the past 42 years, on July 1, 1842. [His war service pension application, S21369, reveals that he was born in Augusta Co., Va., 1753.]


August 5, 1842

JANE wife of Martin SMITH, Williamson Co., Tenn., died Aug. 23, 1842 aged 35 years. Presbyterian.

Major WILLIAM HADLEY died Davidson Co., Tenn., July 30, 1842; "old and respectable citizen."


August 12, 1842

MARINDA wife of Lemuel FARMER, Franklin, Tenn., died Aug. 11, 1842; "young"; Presbyterian.

CATHARINE wife of Colonel William E. OWEN, formerly of Franklin, Tenn.; daughter of Capt. Thomas Bradly, Williamson Co., Tenn., died near Memphis, Tenn. "a few weeks since."

ANNA wife of Everett OWEN, esq. died Williamson Co., Tenn., July 10, 1842; wife and mother.

LUCINDA wife of Henry KIRKPATRICK, Williamson Co., Tenn., died Aug. 9, 1842. Member of Church of the Disciples.

JOSEPH W. ROBERTSON died in the residence of James Woods, Nashville, Tenn., August 5, 1842; nephew of the Messrs. Woods.

ELIZABETH wife of Dr. Robert H. HODSDON, state representative from Blount Co., Tenn., died Maryville, Tenn., recently.


August 19, 1842

SARAH VERRELL daughter of Jordan A. and Lutica C. MALONE died Williamson Co., Tenn., July 29, 1842 aged 14 months and 10 days [born, May 19, 1841].


A CAMP MEETING SCENE. At no time, since our connexion with the Press, has it fallen to our lot, to record an occurrence of such appalling interest, as that which we now hasten to pen.
          On Sabbath night last, at about 10 o'clock while religious exercises were going on under the shelter, at Nelson's Camp-Ground, seven miles east of this an amiable young lacy, Miss MARY TAYLOR, daughter of the late James P. Taylor, of Carter County, and a young gentleman JOHN C. MILLER, a Student of Washington College, whose parents reside in Rutherford county N.C. were struck dead by lightening; so perfectly dead, that no spark of the natural or animal life remained. Meanwhile, David Gillespie, another student, whose parents reside on the Tennessee River below Kingston, was struck dead, apparently, and it is believed was only saved by the application of cold water in great quantities. While Miss Elizabeth Hoss, of this county, was equally paralyzed, and yet, together with Mr. Gillespie, is not regarded as out of danger. Besides these there were some five gentlemen, and four ladies, in the same camp the camp occupied by James H. Jones, of this place, most of whom were struck to the ground, and for a time at least were wholly unconscious of what had occurred. In the camp occupied by the Preachers, adjoining Mr. Jones' on the North, were two Clergymen, and three other gentlemen, who were severely shocked, and some of them even prostrated. In the camp occupied by Mr. Piper's family, on the South, there were five gentlemen and four ladies, three of whom fell to the ground, while the rest were sensibly affected. The reader will bear in mind, that these are half-faced camps, all three under one roof almost directly in the rear of the pulpit and separated, the one from the other by thin plank partitions some 20, 30 and 40 feet from the pulpit.
          There were supposed to be some 5 or six hundred persons under the shelter, most of whom were engaged in the exercises, then going on, while others, perhaps, had taken shelter from the rain. Nearly this entire assembly felt sensibly the shock and so very much indeed, that no sooner had the report of the thunder-stroke, died away in the distance, that one long, loud continued scream, was heard in every direction. Perhaps a scene of more thrilling interest, mingled with such gloom and terror, was never witnessed in this section of country!
          In the cases of Miss Taylor and Mr. Miller, who exhibited no signs of life but were killed dead, the electric fluid seems to have entered the camp near the roof, and to have continued down an oak scantling, constituting the door post, slightly shivering the post, till it reached her head, where its traces cease to be visible. She was leaning against this post of the door Miller stood facing her, with his left shoulder against the other post and Gillespie between them, himself and Miller having their arms around each other's waists Gillespie's arm touching Miss Taylor's shoulder. In this position Gillespie and Miller fell backward in the camp; and when an attempt was made to separate them, it was not without difficulty and even a second trial. Miss Hoss was sitting on the end of a trunk near Miss Taylor and tumbled between the trunk and the wall.


(Page 10)

SAD AFFAIR We learn that James H. Rucker, living on the Murfreesborough turnpike, 9 miles from Nashville, shot his wife yesterday with a rifle. She was not dead when our paper went to press, but she is said to be dangerously wounded, and not likely to recover. This is another of the bitter fruits of intemperance. Mr. Rucker has hitherto borne a good character, though occasionally intemperate. - Union.

[Rucker served a penitentiary term, 1843-1845 for "malicious shooting."]


August 26, 1842

HENRY D. son of Augustin PUGH, Louisiana, died Elizabethton, New Jersey, June 27, 1842 aged 17 years.

MARY MATILDA daughter of Edward W. and Mary B. PINKARD died August 20, 1842.

TASWELL S. ALDERSON died Columbia, Tenn., Aug. 24, 1842 aged 39 years.


September 2, 1842

Mrs. Reverend J. M. McPHERSON died Franklin, Tenn., Aug. 15, 1842.

WILLIAM HENRY only son of W. B. LEWIS died near Franklin, Tenn., Aug. 30, 1842 in 20th year of his age; educated at Georgetown, D.C.; a contributor to the SOUTHERN LITERARY MESSENGER.

MARGARET RAWLINGS daughter of V. P. WINDER, esq., Louisiana, died in residence of John M. Bass, Franklin, Tenn., Aug. 30, 1842 aged 10 years.

JOHN W. SAUNDERS, one of the partners of the commercial firm, Saunders and Martin, Franklin, Tenn., died September 1, 1842.


September 16, 1842

SARAH wife of John HUGHES, esq., died Williamson Co., Tenn. in her 70th year of age, on Sept. 10, 1842; born Albemarle Co., Va., 1797; migrated to Tenn., 1828; mother of nine children, two of whom predeceased her.

A long letter published in this issue from CHARLES CASSEDY, Beech Grove, Williamson Co., Tenn., dated Sept. 15, 1842, to the editor of the REVIEW in which he expounds on the value of obituaries as expressions of affection for departed relatives and friends.


September 23, 1842

WILLIAM son of William BURNS died Williamson Co., Tenn., Aug. 30, 1842 aged about 8 years.

MARGARET B. widow of Matthew COWLEY born near Baltimore, Md., May 20, 1750; joined Methodist Episcopal Church, 1792; had a large family of children; died Hardin Co., Ky., Aug. 6, 1842.

ORVILLE BRADLY son of John W. and A. A. CAMPBELL died Randolph, Tenn., Aug. 30, 1842 aged 1 year, 4 months and 10 days [born April 20, 1841].

Captain JOHN NICHOLS died Nashville, Tenn., Sept. 18, 1842.


(Page 11)

ROBERT COULTER, native of New York state, several years resident of Nashville, Tenn., where he died September 18, 1842; member of Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

Mrs. TYLER wife of President John TYLER died in Washington, D.C., recently. [Letitia Christian Tyler, Nov. 12, 1790-Sept. 10, 1842]

Major A. L. MARTIN, native of Tennessee, died in Philadelphia, Pa., recently; former member of Tennessee legislature.

Colonel JAMES REESIDE [sic], mail contractor, died Philadelphia, Pa., Sept. 3, 1842.

MURDER OF WILLIAM KOPMAN. -- Mr. Wm. Kopman, of the firm of Hayward & Kopman, of Fulton, Ark., was murdered at Batson's stand in Humphrey's Co., Tenn., on the 2d ult. Mr. Kopman was on his way to Winchester, and spent a day or two in Memphis as he came on from Fulton. He was known to have in his possession several thousand dollars, for which he lost his life. Mr. Kopman was a relative of M. Sidney Kopman, merchant of Memphis; was born in Vienna: he had resided for the past 12 years in New York, and Columbus, Ga., and has a brother living in New Orleans, a sister living in Pensacola, and near connexion residing in New York, all of high respectability. The deceased is represented to us as having been an accomplished gentleman, of fine education, and a most estimable man. We have been put in possession of the following particulars of the murder, from a gentleman residing at the place where it occurred.
          Mr. K. put up at Col. Hunt's, 11 miles east of Waverly, on Monday night, the 1st day of Aug. He left there the next morning after breakfast, and in a few hours afterwards his horse returned to Hunt's, stripped of saddle, bridle, &c. On Thursday evening, the 3d of August, he was found about 4 miles from Hunt's, some twenty steps from the road. The next day a jury of inquest was held over his body, and the verdict of the jury was, that he came to his death by the discharge of a large pistol, rifle or yager, the ball of which took effect in his head, greatly fracturing the skull, by some persons to them unknown. He was buried near the place where he was found, on the roadside. Search was then made by the jury and persons present for his saddle-bags, hat, saddle, &c., which were found three or four hundred yards from the road.
          A man by the name of Joseph Stalcup is suspected of having committed the murder. He stayed at Hunt's on Sunday night. He said he was from Washington, Ark. Kopman saw his name on the register, and said he knew him. The same man was supposed to have been seen sitting on the road-side where Kopman was murdered on Monday evening. Some persons think they saw Stalcup pass on the Nashville road 5 or 6 times from the place on Tuesday evening his yager rendered him rather more conspicuous than he would have been, almost every person that saw him being attracted by it. Several persons have gone in pursuit of him.
          Since writing the above, we learn that Stalcop has been arrested and brought back.* Also that when he arrived at Hunt's he remarked to Hunt: "You say I am the murderer, you d---d villain. You are the murderer, sir." We also learn that Hunt is under arrest. Suspicion was aroused against Hunt from the circumstances of the deceased's horse finding his way back to his stable, and he saying nothing about it for two or three days, or until the murder was known.
          By reference to our advertising columns, it will be seen that his brother, residing in New Orleans, offers a reward of $200 for the discovery of the murderer. --- Fort Pickering Eagle.

*Mr. Stalcop has been honorably acquitted at Gallatin. Ed. Whig


September 30, 1842

"The oldest pensioner in the United States is WILLIAM PRIGEN of Bladen County, N.C. He is 112 years." [His war service pension application reveals that he was born in Duplin Co., N.C.; when he applied for his pension, June 27, 1832, he was aged 100 years old; after several moves, he located in Bladen C., No. Carolina in August 1832.]

WILLIAM PEEBLES died in Williamson Co., Tenn. several weeks ago aged 25 years; surviving him were several sons.

WARREN DICKSON, keeper of Gate #3, Nashville Turnpike, died Sept. 20, 1842 aged about 26 years.

JOHN BROOKS died Williamson Co., Tenn., Sept. 16, 1842 aged about 50 years; husband/father.


(Page 12)

ISAAC SHORT, resident of Williamson Co., Tenn. since 1811 died there, Sept. 28, 1842 aged 75 years.

Mrs. Dr. S. S. STARNES died Williamson Co., Tenn., September 26, 1842.

MARY ELIZA wife of Madison C. NAPIER died in residence of Mrs. Charlotte Napier, Nashville, Tenn., Sept. 22, 1842 in the 29th year of her age; mother of four children.

SAMUEL C. BURTON, for many years resident of Franklin, Tenn., died "on the Harpeth," Sept. 25, 1842 of congestive fever.


October 14, 1842

CATHARINE MARY wife of C. C. NORVELL, a newspaper editor, died in Nashville, Tenn., Oct. 9, 1842 in the 27th year of her age.


October 21, 1842

JOHN E. CROUCH advertised for his runaway slave, NAT, about 5 foot, 10/11 inches tall, aged about 23/24 years; mulatto, "spare made."


October 28, 1842

SARAH wife of William H. DOWNING died Williamson Co., Tenn., Oct. 17, 1842 in the 47th year of her age; native of Bedford Co., Va.; surviving were her widower and six children.


November 4, 1842

General JOSEPH DESHA, former governor of Kentucky, died in Georgetown, Ky., Oct. 13, 1842; had a Masonic funeral.

ELIZABETH daughter of Henry KIRKPATRICK, Williamson Co., Tenn., died Oct. 24, 1842 "in the bloom of life."

ROBERT GREEN son of Stanhope M. and Ann Eliza SHANNON died [Williamson Co., Tenn.], Oct. 25, 1842 aged 6 months and 20 days [born April 5, 1842].

MARTHA JANE daughter of Major William JOHNSON died Franklin, Tenn., Oct. 19, 1842.


November 11, 1842

M. J. daughter of John W. HODGE; wife of E. D. PORTER; died near Franklin, Tenn., Oct. 28, 1842 aged 17 years and 6 months [born in April 1824]; surviving were her widower and a four month old daughter.

ROBERT GRIMMER died Williamson Co., Tenn., Nov. 3, 1842 in the 42nd year of his age.

SUTHERLAND SHANNON infant son of Dr. S. S. and Sarah MAYFIELD died Franklin, Tenn., Nov. 4, 1842.


November 18, 1842

VIRGINIA BELVADERA infant daughter of William D. and Mary E. FISHER died Lewisburg, Tenn., Oct. 24, 1842 aged 1 year, 7 months and 22 days [born March 2, 1841].

On the following page is the obituary of ABRAHAM HILL, Revolutionary War veteran. His war service pension application, S7015, reveals that he was born January 29, 1758.


(Page 13)


          Died at his residence in Iredell county North Carolina, on the 6th of September last, Mr. Abraham Hill.
          Though the subject of this notice, from choice, spent his long life in none other than the character of a common citizen and soldier, yet there are some circumstances connected with his history, which may not be altogether uninteresting to his numerous relations scattered over the valley of the Mississippi, and which are perhaps better known to the writer than to any other person now living.
          Mr. Hill was born in Bucks county, Pennsylvania, in the year 1757, and when very young, he accompanied his father to the neighborhood in which he spent the remainder of his days, when not in the service of his country. When under the age of sixteen he nobly took the place of his father in staying the ruthless Tomahawk and scalping knife of the savage. Soon after this when the patriotic and chivalrous sons of America took up arms against British oppression, he volunteered his services in the defense of his country's cause, and under the Brave Sumpter and Hampton of South Carolina was in a number of the battles of his own State, and that of his gallant commanders.
          After the war was ended and peace restored to his country, he returned to the home of his father, and in a few years was united in marriage with the woman of his choice, with whom he lived until some three years since, when she was called to rest. They had a large family of sons and daughters, upon whose minds he constantly endeavored to impress the sentiments of morality and piety which were calculated to qualify them for usefulness to their fellow man, and happiness to themselves. He was spared to see the fruit of his labor, all of his children being respectable members of society, and some of them occupying eminent stations in the service of their country. Nor was his endeavor to diffuse these principles confined to his own family, as many now living can testify.
          When young, he embraced religion, and united himself with the Presbyterian church, in which he lived more than sixty years, having acted as a ruling elder for the greatest portion of the time. In short, as a son he was obedient and dutiful, as a brother he was kind and fraternal, as a husband he was affectionate and kind, as a father he was rarely excelled in paternal care and watchfulness, as a master he was indulgent almost to a fault, as a soldier he was brave and fearless, as a citizen he was upright in all his intercourse with his fellow men, and as a Christian he was ardent in his piety, and exemplary in his conduct. When contemplating the character of him who is now no more, I am constrained to adopt the language of the Prophet and say "let me die the death of the righteous, and let my last end be like his." ---D. H.
Salisbury Watchman please copy.


November 25, 1842

JOEL LEE, former Nashville, Tenn. merchant, died Washington, Texas, Sept. 26, 1842 in the 40th year of his age; surviving were his widow and one child.


December 2, 1842

PHEBE wife of Jacob CARL, Williamson Co., Tenn. died Nov. 12, 1842. Methodist. Surviving were her widower and seven children.

JANE daughter of Samuel and Nancy Atkinson; wife of William C. CRAWLEY, died about 8 miles south of Franklin, Tenn., Nov. 5, 1842 aged 19 years, 4 months and 27 days [born June 18, 1823]; surviving were her widower and a two year old daughter.

MARTHA ANN daughter of Captain Henry WADE died Spring Hill, Tenn., Nov. 18, 1842 aged about 14 years.


December 16, 1842

ELIZABETH daughter of Joseph KENNEDY, died Franklin, Tenn., Dec. 9, 1842 aged about 10 years and 4 months old.


December 21, 1842

MONTFORT STOKES, former governor of No. Carolina, died Ft. Gibson, Ala., Nov. 4, 1842 in the 62nd year of his age; at the time of his death he was Indian agent for the Cherokees.


Return to Contents