By Jonathan Kennon Thompson Smith
Copyright, Jonathan K. T. Smith, 2003


(Page 48)

January 2, 1914

EDMUND TAYLOR, February 13, 1785-June 29, 1871

Pages 22-23:



        Edmund Taylor was a prince among men. In head and heart, in means, in hospitality in fact, in everything he was princely. Above all, he was a prince in Israel. He was born and reared in Virginia and maintained the Virginia traditions to the last. He belonged to the very best class of Virginians. I have seen a few Virginians who reflected no honor on their native State, but the name of Edmund Taylor is worthy of a place among the immortals of the Old Dominion. He was the son of Howell Taylor and came with his father to West Tennessee in the early years of the last century. The larger part of the family located in Haywood County. Edmund settled and opened a farm in Fayette County eight miles north of Somerville, where he died at a good old age in the certain hope of the gospel. He was the father of Rev. R. V Taylor, of the Memphis Conference, who has been a preacher without reproach for about sixty years.
        Edmund Taylor was a Methodist in principle and practice. The doctrines of Methodism shaped his life. He was in full accord with the polity of the Church. I never met a layman better informed than he. Many preachers could have sat at his feet with profit. He made a study of our doctrinal literature. The whole of it was in his library. He adhered as closely to the unwritten as to the written rules of the Church. So far as I know, he never departed from any Methodist usage except in the matter of dress. He did not wear the old Methodist round-breasted coat. He shaved clean and didn't like to see a beard on anybody's face, especially on the face of a preacher. His son Bobbie was the first of the family (and among the first of our preachers) to break the unwritten rule. During a long absence from home he let his beard grow. On his first visit with full whiskers it is said that as soon as Uncle Ed recognized him he ran into the house and called to his wife: "Bring the Bible, honey, and let's have prayer. Bobbie's backslid."
        Edmund Taylor was a Christian. He had the spirit and power of religion. He went often to the source of power, the throne of grace. One room in his large residence was specially set apart for private prayer. He went into that room three times a day-immediately after each meal. Every preacher visiting him was invited into that place of prayer. I had the privilege often and was invariably benefited. Once in that room, he remained until he got a blessing. Sometimes he would be on his knees not longer than a minute or two. Sometimes he would remain a long while, apparently in agony; but he always prevailed and came out happy, clapping his hands. It is no wonder that he had power with God and prevailed with men. I never was associated with a man of such spiritual power. In times of revival he was irresistible. Men would drop as if dead when he laid his hands on their heads. Sinners would run from him, fearing his very touch.
        He was known all over the country as "Uncle Ed," and he called nearly everybody "honey." I saw him a few times during my boyhood; but it was not until I was appointed to the Dancyville Circuit, in 1868, that I became acquainted with him. Taylor's Chapel, his home Church, was one of my appointments, and a delightful one it was. Uncle Ed was the terror of all young preachers, and there were very few old ones that did not stand in awe in his presence. He was a keen observer, shrewd in judgment, and on occasions severe in his criticisms. He meant all for good. When I went to the circuit, I had been trying to preach sufficiently long to enable me to stand before ordinary men without dread, but I was afraid of Uncle Ed Taylor. Fortunately, I escaped his criticisms but why or how I never knew. Once I came near catching it. In trying to preach I got "in the brush"; and as was my custom under such a misfortune, I cut the matter short. I talked about twenty minutes and called on Uncle Ed to pray. He was surprised and said afterwards: "I didn't know he was preaching. I thought he was reading a hymn all that time, but I thought it was a mighty long hymn." I was on the circuit three months before I elicited from him anything like a favorable response. But I happened to "strike his flint," and the fire flew. It was on Saturday night of a two days meeting. After preaching, I went up to the house in company with the family. Uncle Ed followed slowly. We were all seated around the fire before he came in. Sister Sam Taylor, his son's wife, didn't go to meeting that night. As soon as Uncle Ed got in the door, he began to report: "Katie, we had a brand-new preacher tonight, a brand-new preacher. Bless the Lord, my soul is happy. I feel like I could hug a dog."
        Uncle Ed could both kill and make alive. One of my predecessors had announced a "protracted meeting" at the chapel; but for some reason he could not be present at the opening service, so sent in his place an old preacher, Brother Thomas J. Neely, to hold forth until his arrival. Brother Neely was a fine preacher and a glorious singer, a great power in a revival. He was late in reaching the chapel on Saturday, so late that another preacher had gone through the introductory services and was ready to announce his text. Just then Brother Neely came in hurriedly and began preaching; and though he had come from a great revival at another point, his sermon was a failure. As soon as the benediction was pronounced, Uncle Ed approached him: "O, yes, Brother Neely, you came from that big meeting over yonder, full of pride, and you thought you would set the world afire. You preached the poorest sermon I ever heard in all my life." That was more than Brother Neely could stand. It almost killed him; he groaned in agony. "What is the matter, Brother Neely?" asked one of the preachers. "O," said he, "that dear old man has nearly killed me. He doesn't understand me." But Brother Neely got right, and on Sunday morning preached a soul-stirring sermon. It warmed up Uncle Ed's heart, and he was ready with a word of commendation: "Ah, Brother Neely, you humbled yourself and got right, and you preached a mighty good sermon to-day mighty good and it did my soul good." And all was well with Brother Neely.
        Uncle Ed couldn't stand anything that looked like a disposition to shirk duty or handle the Word of God deceitfully. What the Bible said was to him the best way of putting the truth, and he was over ready to rebuke the man who failed to honor the Word. A prim and aesthetic brother preaching once at the chapel in the course of his sermon had occasion to speak of the place of future punishment. Not wishing to offend polite ears, he called it everything except what the Bible calls it in plain English, "Eternal darkness," "the abode of misery," "the place of despair," "Gehenna," etc. Uncle Ed bore the affliction as long as he could, and, raising up slightly, he said: "Brother, I'd say 'hell' if it killed me."
        No man could beat Uncle Ed making plain what he thought. He did it in the quaintest sort of way. For example: in the year 1868 there came two men to the old Westley camp meeting-the late Rev. Joseph Johnson and Rev. C. D. N. Campbell. Arthur Davis was in charge. Campbell was not above medium height, not well dressed, and on cool mornings wore around his shoulders a common blue blanket such as traveling preachers of that day usually carried. He was not prepossessing. He was quiet and retiring. He was finely educated, was master of the English language, and in some respects proved to be the most wonderful preacher that was ever in the country. Brother Davis did not know him, nor did any one else on the camp ground except Brother Johnson; and before volunteering to appoint him to preach he thought best to make some inquiries. "Johnson," said he, "who is this young man Campbell? Can he preach? If you will vouch for him, I will appoint him." Brother Johnson replied: "You might try him. He will not disgrace the occasion." Accordingly, he was appointed to preach on Saturday night. His text was Romans v. 7, 8. I remember it as well as if it were yesterday. His first sentence caught the attention of the congregation, and he held the vast audience spellbound to the last word. Such preaching was seldom heard. It was wonderful. Uncle Ed, like everybody else, was all attention. Meeting a friend next morning, he said: "Honey, who was the brother that preached last night?" "His name is Campbell, sir," was the reply. "Campbell? Where did he come from?" "He came from McNairy---the hills of McNairy." At that date McNairy was the Nazareth of West Tennessee. Uncle Ed was surprised and said: "From McNairy? Well, well, well! He talks so pretty, I thought he came from town."
        Edmund Taylor, great and good man! He influenced his day and generation. Children and grandchildren and great- grandchildren bless his memory and emulate his virtues. I never saw one that was not a Methodist.


(Page 49)

January 2, 1914 continued

J. H. RUTLEDGE born S.C., July 12, 1843; moved to Miss. when young; married Lena Williams, 1868; moved to Ft. Smith, Ark., 1885; died Nov. 17, 1913; buried in Forest Park Cemetery.

WILLIAM LEANDER WILSON born near Burnsville, N.C., Nov. 14, 1837; moved to Madison Co., Ark. about 1857; married Lettie Russell; one dau., six sons; served in Confederate army; licensed to preach in Methodist Church in 1887.

SUSAN BATSON daughter of J. C. and Nancy Crow; granddaughter of Rev. Jeremiah Whitaker; born in Kentucky, Feb. 24, 1834; married Dr. John D. Batson (died June 1901), January 1853; two sons, Dr. James A. and Professor D. W. Died of burn injuries, Nov. 4, 1913. Buried in Oddville, Ky. cemetery.

EIRE WEBB SANDERS born April 4, 1868; died Sept. 6, 1913; married E. S. Sanders, Feb. 20, 1895; four children.

ANNIE MANSON MARTIN daughter of James E. Manson, born near Murfreesboro, Tenn., Dec. 18, 1881; died Lacassas, August 21, 1913; married Irwin Martin, December 1912.

MARY BAKER ROSS. only daughter of Joel Baker, Sr. and Louisiana Symmes Baker, born Frankfort, Ky., June 18, 1848; died Ft. Thomas, Ky., Nov. 8, 1913; married Lewis L. Ross; two daus., four sons, including Dr. Joel B. Ross, Wonsan, Korea. "Her paternal grandfather was the late Abram Ross, who, coming from Virginia, built his log house in the wilderness of Kentucky and added to it the 'big room' which was the Methodist Church in that locality."

Dr. W. F. LLOYD, DD, Central Texas Conference, died recently; a tribute by J. H. Hasten.


January 9, 1914

ALMYRA JANE MOSS daughter of Stephen Y. and Caroline Gold Moss, born Montgomery Co., Tenn., Nov. 12, 1842; died in same county, January 6, 1911.

WILLIAM W. SPENCE born Madison Co., Tenn., Jan. 7, 1832; son of Levi Spence, born and reared in N.C. and who came to Tenn. in 1831; moved in 1840 to McCracken Co., Ky. where he died in 1843. His mother died Nov. 28, 1883. He married Mary A. Moore, Oct. 1859; sons, John W. and Thomas D. He died Dec. 21, 1913, 3 miles north of Kevil, Kentucky.

SALLIE J. BROWN born in east Nashville, Tenn., May 17, 1828; died Nov. 29, 1913; daughter of Major John Lucius Brown, veteran of Mexican and Civil wars; granddaughter of Colonel Robert Weakley. Nephews, William and George Bradford, Nashville. Niece, Mrs. R. G. McClure, Indianapolis, Indiana.

ELIZA C. ANDREWS, nee Stevenson, born Giles Co., Tenn., March 5, 1838; died Birmingham, Ala., Nov. 16, 1913; married Rev. W. T. Andrews, Nov. 30, 1856; one dau., five sons. Two of her mother's brothers, Neil S. and John C. Brown, were governors of Tennessee.

THOMAS B. KING, Brownsville, Tennessee, born Maysville, Ala., April 16, 1837; died July 22, 1913; son of Thomas M. and Ann Gurley King; when he was 13 years old his father died; served in the Confederate army; married Belle, daughter of Colonel R. E. and Mary Thompson, Jan. 2, 1867; hardware merchant in Brownsville.

SALLIE WALKER McCLAUGHERTY daughter of J. B. and Jane Ridley Walker; married M. A. McClaugherty; no children. Nashville, Tenn.

Dr. HENRY BUCKLER PETERSON son of William and Celia Peterson, born Marion Co., Ky., Oct. 3, 1838; married Mary E. Beale, April 16, 1867; one dau., Mrs. Anna Webster; two sons, W. W. and S. T. Practiced medicine in Marion Co., Ky. all his professional life.


January 16, 1914

Rev. H. B. McNEILL, Tennessee Conference, died Tullahoma, Tenn., Jan. 5, 1914; buried in Mt. Olivet Cemetery, Nashville.


(Page 50)

RICHARD DAVIS SMART born Beaufort Co., S.C., Sept. 17, 1846; graduate, Wofford College, 1868 and Presbyterian Theological Seminary, 1871; labored in Ark., Tenn. and MO. Died January 4, 1914; married (1) Julia Evans (one dau., Mrs. R. W. Wait); (2) Ella Gailland Aiken (children R. D., W. A., F. P., G. G. and Ella).

MAY BUFORD PASCHALL daughter of Colonel Ablert and Clara Reid Buford, born Giles Co., Tenn., July 29, 1863; graduate, Martin College, June 1879; died Franklin, Tenn., Sept. 25, 1913; married Dr. W. A. Paschall, Feb. 14, 1884; one dau., four sons. "Strikingly handsome in form."

"In Memoriam", ROBERT A. JONES son of W. F. and Julia Jones, born Cockrum, Miss., Jan. 9, 1849; died Coldwater, Miss., Oct. 15, 1913; married Agnes Allen, Nov. 1, 1877; no children.

Mrs. R. E. EVAN, widow of Rev. John W. Evan, died Stressa, Italy, Oct. 11, 1913. Daughters, Mrs. Minnie Eustis and Mrs. Mabel Sabbag-Bey.

ELEANOR JANE HOLLIDAY born in Ala., Dec. 6, 1835; at age 3 years moved with family to Oktibbeha Co., Miss.; daughter of John B. and L. C. Boyles; married Rev. H. C. Holliday (died Aug. 4, 1861), Dec. 6, 1859; moved to Tennessee in 1870.

MATTIE FRYER COVINGTON born Henry Co., Tenn., June 29, 1841; married Rev. H. B. Covington (died 1885), May 1863; three daus., one son. Died January 24, 1911.


January 23, 1914

Photograph of Rev. JAMES W. LEE, St. John's Methodist Church, St. Louis, MO., with his large family; page 21.

Major FOUNTAIN PITTS McWHIRTER died Nashville, Tenn., Jan. 13, 1914 aged 78 years.

THOMAS JEFFERSON NEELY, December 23, 1803-August 11, 1890

Page 22:



        Uncle Tom Neely was one of my favorite preachers when I was a little boy. In my youthful mind he was the ideal man. In fact, he was a man. Physically he was of large proportions, without a pound of surplus flesh. Had he taken on fat in proportion to his frame, the itinerant ministry in his day would have been an impossibility to him. "Circuit riders" then were the "horse soldiers" of the service, and no horse in the land could have carried him. The horse that did carry him had a load, something near two hundred pounds. Besides physical manhood, he was blessed with a good mind, well stored with information, which he used to fine advantage. He devoted the prime of his life to the Church. In this he was whole-hearted and remarkably successful. In preaching ability he was above the average, and the Word was so delivered by him as to make it a sword of tremendous power. Among the people Uncle Tom was always welcome. Rich and poor alike gladly received him into their homes. He loved children, and to them he was magnetic; he drew them to him.
        About half of Brother Neely' s ministerial life was spent in the local ranks. During that time he devoted himself to farming, in which he was as successful as he was in his work as a preacher. He accumulated a considerable amount of property. His start in that line was partly due to his great energy and partly to the inheritance of his wife. The two together managed their affairs with great discretion; and at the beginning of the war, in 1861, to use Uncle Tom's own expression, they were "rich." They owned a large farm, well located, productive, and well stocked with everything necessary to cultivation. They lived in a big, fine house, and were blessed with a troop of healthy, happy children, who had grown up like olive plants round about their table.
        Brother Neely was born in Rutherford County, Tenn. in 1803; and died in Hardeman County in 1890. He was converted and joined the Church early in life, and almost immediately responded to the call for active service. He had an exceedingly hard time in following his convictions, especially when he made up his mind to become a Methodist preacher. He had no Methodist ancestors. His mother was a Presbyterian, and a good woman. His father, if not a member of the Church, was inclined to the Presbyterians, and had neither love nor tolerance for the Methodists; and when the boy proposed to join the Tennessee Conference, the father became furious and told him that if he did so he would deny him the shelter of his house and disinherit him. In his distress he went to his mother, whom to the day of his death he called "mammy." She gave him the sympathy of her good heart and advised him to follow his convictions. This was all that she could do; but it strengthened the boy in his purpose, and he started on his long and useful career as a Methodist preacher. In a little while two sons instead of one (the late Rev. P. P. Neely, D. D., was the other) were hated Methodist preachers. The father lived to see them both honored and useful preachers, and came at last to acknowledge that there was genuine religion among the Methodists.
        Uncle Tom did not excel in preaching as did his brother Philip, but he was among the foremost as a leader in song and prayer. He was wonderfully gifted in prayer. Among preachers I would place only Bishop Paine above him; none would I place by his side. On great revival occasions he sometimes seemed to be inspired, and I doubt not that he was. As a singer for all kinds of meetings, at any season, I never saw his superior. Possibly this opinion is due in part to the fact that he was the first man I ever knew to create enthusiasm with song and leave no place or necessity for a sermon. It was at a camp meeting in 1862, held at a point on or near Wolf River between Rossville and Collierville, on the Southern Railroad. He was appointed to preach one night. It was the first time I saw him. I remember how he looked much better than if it had been five years ago. He followed the usual order of exercises. At the close of the prayer, instead of announcing a second hymn, he began, as Jack Holland did in Philadelphia, a song, in singing which be needed no help. Indeed, it was a song in which no one could help, for no one present had ever heard either the song or the tune. It was said by some of the brethren that the "preacher made up the song as he went along." I do not know about that, but I do know that an interest was aroused the like of which I have never seen from that day to this. There was literally an uproar among the people a shouting in the camp. The Spirit seemed to have taken hold of every Christian and of sinners, who by the score in a little while were crying for mercy. The inter-


(Page 51)

est created by the song was such and continued so long that preaching was forgotten and attention was wholly given to penitents. How many persons were converted as the result of that song was never known. If I had never met the singer again, that song and its wonderful effects would have fixed the name of Uncle Tom Neely forever in my mind and heart.
        It was nearly fifteen years after that camp meeting, unless my memory is at fault, before I met Uncle Tom again. The good providence of God threw us together in 1867-68. I frequently visited his home, his family being members of my pastoral charge. He was at the time on the supernumerary list, but able to do some work; and he was a great help to me in some of my revival meetings. The holy fire still burned in his heart.
        Uncle Tom was not without peculiarities, mixed with a fair amount of human nature. He was impulsive, and would sometimes speak rashly, but in a little while he would recover his composure and, if necessary, would ask pardon of any whom he had offended. He was subject also to moods melancholy moods which were often so severe that one unacquainted with him would think it impossible for him to survive. I remember once, when on a circuit a long distance from his home, he started to an appointment on Saturday in the finest of spirits, as happy and hopeful as any man could be. Not a cloud marred his sky, he talked of his work and his prospects, and of how well Charity (his wife) and the children were provided for and with what perfect contentment he could leave them at home while he was away working for the Lord. He did this eloquently and in the most melodious tone. One would have thought that his peace could not be disturbed. On Monday morning, as he made his way home, all was changed. He was in the deepest gloom. The whole world was dark; not a ray of light could he see. Starvation was staring him in the face. He did not know what "Charity and the children" would do. But Charity knew. She never had such spells, and she knew that they had plenty, provided by the old man's energy and foresight. And she knew too that he would come around all right after a little while and be as bright as ever.
      Uncle Tom had a rich experience, and it was delightful to hear it. It was refreshing, no matter how often he related it. He told it well. At the close of the war he did not give out a revised statement, but he added considerably to it; for he had experienced new and strange things. After telling of his conversion and early struggles and triumphs, when his father was against him and "mammy" was for him, he would tell how he desired to be rich and prayed the Lord to prosper him, which, he said, the Lord had done. "And, brethren," said he, "when the war came up I was rich; yes, I was rich. I had all that heart could wish. But the war swept all my property away. I am poor and growing old, and find it hard to get along in the world. But, bless the Lord, I am happy happy in my soul, as happy as a man can be but I don't thank the Yankees for it a bit."
        Uncle Tom Neely left us for the heavenly home nearly twenty-five years ago; but with the old folks to-day who knew him and loved him his memory will abide fresh and green, and they hope to join him by and by in singing the "old, old story that we have loved so long."



January 23, 1914 continued

An effusive tribute to Reverend J. R. HUNTER who died July 18, 1913 by W. M. Bunts.

LETITIA HILLIARD widow of David Moss Hilliard born Green Co., Ky., August 6, 1830; died Hickman Co., Ky., Nov. 29, 1912; daughter of William and Margaret Bottons; married Feb. 10, 1857. Children: Charles D., Calvin B., Nannie Kate and Ernest A.

Dr. E. D. RHEA born Tenn., 1834; one of twelve children of Joseph M, and Kittie Myers Rhea; died Blytheville, Ark., Oct. 30, 1913; served as surgeon in 4th MO Cavalry; located in Fulton Co., Ark.; served in state legislature; moved to Blytheville; married Sarah (died 1885), daughter of John Walker; two children; (2) Mrs. Maggie Reed, 1886.

LULA BOONE FISHER wife of Rev. T. B. Fisher, Tennessee Conference, died Dec. 10, 1913; no children.

Resolutions of respect in memory of Rev. W. F. FLOYD; by the Johnson Memorial Church, Huntington, W. Va., of which congregation he had been pastor since 1908; died recently.


January 30, 1914

CORNELIA MARVIN WINTON wife of W. H. Winton, died Morrisville, MO, Jan. 21, 1914; five children. [Obituary, Feb. 20, 1914 issue, page 31]

Rev. ELMER A. SOUTHARD son of Wilbur F. and Martha A. Southard, born Franklin Co., Ark., Jan. 10, 1876; died in parents' home, Ft. Smith., Ark., Jan. 1, 1914; alumuns, Hendrix College and Vanderbilt; entered the Methodist ministry in 1908.

ELLEN LEWIS DICKSON daughter of Rev. Jordan and Sarah D. Moore, born Dickson Co., Tenn., Sept. 20, 1853; died Clarksville, Tenn., Oct. 10, 1913; married James Akin Dickson (died April 9, 1900), July 12, 1870; eight children, surviving were: Moore, Alice, Lois, Mrs. M. G. Bardwell, Charlie and John R.

PENELOPE H. DILLARD daughter of Thomas and Mary Boatwright Hutchinson, born near Columbia, S.C., Aug. 14, 1838; married Major H. A. Jones, Dec. 17, 1860; seven children; moved to Washington, Ark. in 1861 and in 1869 to Mineral Springs, Ark. where he died in 1879. She married S. P. Dillard in 1886. She died Nashville, Ark., June 30, 1913.

MARY D. SHARP wife of O. C. Shay, Humboldt, Tenn., daughter of Hon. W. T. McFarland, born Nov. 20, 1859; married Nov. 8, 1881; one dau., Mrs. James McLathery, Humboldt. Died Nashville, Tenn., Oct. 18, 1913.


February 6, 1914

No obituaries appeared in this issue


(Page 52)

February 13, 1914

Rev. WILLIS E. WASHBURN, Texas Conference, died near Haskell, Texas, January 21, 1914.

Rev. WILLIAM HARVEY COOPER son of W. C. and Cynthia Cooper, born Macon Co., N.C., Feb. 5, 1835 died Shoal Creek, N.C., July 12, 1913; married Mary Elizabeth Gillespie, Oct. 6, 1863; four surviving daughters. From October 5, 1856 until 1873 he preached 1027 sermons. Buried in the Thomas Cemetery.


February 20, 1914

Rev. I. S. HOPKINS born Augusta, Ga., June 20, 1841; died Atlanta, Ga., Feb. 3, 1914; entered the Methodist ministry in 1863.

Page 29:


        The Watters family, of Baltimore County, Md., were all early converts of Methodism. There were ten of them: the mother and nine children--two daughters and seven sons. Godfrey Watters, father of the family, was a native of England, and died in 1754. Sarah, his wife, lived to a ripe old age and died in 1803. They were burled in the family graveyard by the little stone church, Watters Meeting- house, a building erected soon after the conversion of the family, and which is still in use, as is also the old stone house, the home of this devout pair. They were members of the Church of England. The children were: John, Henry, Mary, Godfrey, Nicholas, Stephen, Ann, Walter, and William. William, the youngest, became the first native American itinerant of Methodism. Abel Stevens says that it is an "honor never to be shared, never to be impaired."
        William Watters was born October 16, 1751; and died March 29, 1827. He married Miss Sarah Adams, who died October 29, 1845. Their graves are in Fairfax County, Va., a few miles from Washington, D.C. They left no children. A monument, a simple veined marble shaft, with beautiful inscription, marks their resting place. Any Methodist will be well repaid for visiting the place and pondering the inscription.
        Nicholas Watters, twelve years William's senior, joined the Conference in Baltimore in 1776 and continued to travel and preach till death called him, in 1804, in Charleston, S.C. He was twice married, and left children by both wives. Descendants by the first wife, through a daughter or daughters, are many throughout the South and Middle West. Of the second family, the writer has no knowledge.
        Nicholas gave more years to the traveling connection than did William. He was a devout Christian, faithful laborer, and one of the successful itinerants of pioneer Methodism. A colleague in the ministry who knew him well, Bennet Kendrick, reports him as peculiarly wise in winning souls to Christ. To him it was all-important that men should be reconciled to God and lead a sanctified life. He wrought well. His last words were: "I am not afraid to die. Thanks be to God!" So far as I can learn, his grave is unmarked and unknown.
        Henry, the second son and great- grandfather of the writer, after the happy conversion of his brother William, opened his dwelling for preaching and prayer meetings; and at one of these meetings, while several penitents were on their knees and his brother William was praying, he entered into the experience of sins forgiven He was ever afterwards a faithful Christian, becoming a class leader and local preacher. He read many works treating of Christian experience and collected a most creditable library of the standard books of that class and day. Within nine months this mother and her nine children were converted, and gathered into the Methodist fold, and with the other newly made converts of the community began an evangelistic crusade throughout the community and adjoining neighborhoods with most fruitful and far-reaching effect. It appears that William, not yet twenty-one years of age, was the leader.
        John, the oldest son, died in 1773, leaving a wife and children.
        The other children all married and reared families, training them in ideals of the Christian life according to Methodist standards.
        From Godfrey Watters, through his family branches, flows a prolific stream of ministers, professional men, teachers, statesmen, missionaries, and authors. These are scattered from ocean to ocean and from the Great Lakes to the Gulf of Mexico, and some are beyond the seas with the message of undying love to souls in benighted heathenism. Who will doubt that the uplift to this family, with all its present worthy attainments, is in large measure due to the religious awakening through the consecrated efforts of Strawbridge, King, and Williams, who came unannounced into their neighborhood in the late sixties of that century with their flaming message of salvation?
        What was done for the Watters family was done for many other families, and it is both profitable and interesting to trace the ever- widening influence of these humble beginnings, of these regenerated lives as they reach out into the succeeding generations, and learn valuable lessons to aid us in the further extension of our beloved Methodism, which in her brief period has in every land lifted her spires that they so encircle the globe that the sun is always somewhere gilding them with the eternal promise: "The Lord God is a sun and shield: the Lord will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly."
        Beholding with righteous pride the magnitude of our Zion, which in its beginning was as a mustard seed, but now spreads out its branches as a fruit-laden tree, we are led to exclaim: "What hath God wrought!"
        None of us who are keeping step in the present long line of American itinerants can, look back to the family which gave us the first of our rank without feelings of admiration and respect.



Reverend WILLIAM FRANKLIN LLOYD born Taylor Co., Ga., Nov. 25, 1855; died Stephenville, Texas, Nov. 13, 1913. Methodist preacher.

CORNELIA MARVIN WINTON born Warren Co., MO, April 4, 1854; died Morrisville, MO, Jan. 21, 1914 married Rev. W. H. Winton, February 5, 1888.

Tribute of respect in memory of JOHN B. HOWELL who died Battle Creek, Michigan, Dec. 26, 1913 and an active Methodist layman of Dyersburg, Tennessee; by his son, Hayes Howell, Arcadia, Louisiana.


(Page 53)

February 27, 1914

Dr. WARREN BYERS WATKINS born Opelika, Ala., 1867; graduate, Emory College, Oxford, Ga., 1887 and from Bellevue Medical College, 1897; married Pearl Banks, 1893 (children, Alberta, Dorothy, Louise, Byers, Alston). Died Feb. 1, 1914.

"In Memoriam", Mrs. E. P. CHANDLER born St. Clair Co., Ala., March 16, 1848; died Vincent, Ala. Nov. 10, 1913; daughter of Russell J. and Mary Allen; married Dr. E. P. Chandler, April 14, 1869; seven children.

ZORA AUSTIN THOMPSON wife of William H. Thompson, Memphis, Tenn., daughter of Moses and Elizabeth Austin, born Corinth, Miss., June 28, 1862; married Jan. 2, 1884; died Memphis, June 17, 1913; an invalid for many years.


March 6, 1914

Captain JAMES WILLIAM IRWIN born Savannah, Tenn., April 13, 1835; died in same place, Feb. 12, 1914; his father, James Irwin, moved from Pa. to Tenn. about 1826; his mother, Nancy Sevier Irwin, was a daughter of John Sevier, son of Valentine Sevier, a brother of Governor John Sevier of Tennessee. He married Cornelia Elizabeth Broyles, Feb. 25, 1868; two daus., 2 sons. Active Methodist layman and freemason.

TOMMIE SALE RAIFORD wife of Philip Raiford, born near Moscow, Tenn., Sept. 23, 1842; died near Como, Miss., Jan. 31, 1914; daughter of Dr. John Sale, Collierville, Tenn.; one son, Frazier T. Raiford.


March 13, 1914

Mrs. FANNIE HOLT died Lewisburg, Tenn., March 5, 1914 aged 75 years; widow of T. B. Holt Burial in Mt. Olivet Cemetery.


March 20, 1914

Judge BENJAMIN J. CASTEEL born Sevier Co., Ark., Oct. 14, 1851; married Belle Gibbany, Mar. 15, 1876 and moved to St. Joseph, MO in 1881. Died recently.

ELIJAH PAINE GAULT born Limestone Co., Ala., Nov. 22, 1837; died Feb. 2, 1914; served in Company E, 4th Ala. Cavalry, CSA; husband and father.

JAMES F. WALKER died Mt. Pleasant, Tenn., Dec. 13, 1913 in the 79th year of his age.

JOHN J. HOWARD born Oct. 28, 1833; died Jan. 30, 1914; husband and father (four children).

MOSES SPIRY born Coosa Co., Ala., Aug. 16, 1845; son of Aaron and Elizabeth Spiry; died Jan. 5, 1914. [Surname corrected to SPIVY, April 3, 1914 issue, page 30]

ELIZA C. BLAIR, nee Orr, born Mecklenburg Co., N.C., April 4, 1835; married John Blair, Dec. 24, 1865 (three sons, two daughters); died Yalobusha Co., Miss., Feb. 22, 1914; burial in Bethlehem Church Cemetery.


March 27, 1914

MARY M. MANN, nee Yarbrough, born Bolivar Co., Miss., Oct. 14, 1833; died Memphis, Tenn., Feb. 20, 1914; married John C. Mann, July 29, 1852; two children, surviving child, James H. Mann.

MARY ELIZABETH TAYLOR, nee Thompson, born Marshall Co., Tenn., April 5, 1838; married (1) Holman R. Fowler, 1857; he was killed at Ft. Donelson, February 1862 (two sons, Walter and Joseph. Clinton Fowler); (2) Claiborne Taylor (died Feb. 1899), May 1866 (children, Claibie, wife of J. P. Graham; Burt, Floyd and Earl). Died Jan. 31, 1914.

Resolutions of respect in memory of J. K. CRAWFORD, recently deceased; by a Sunday School group; undated.


April 3, 1914

MARY S. MOORE, widow of Rev. John S. Moore, DD, died Oxford, Ga., Mar. 17, 1914 aged 77 years.

Mrs. MARY FRANCES OGILVIE HOLT born Williamson Co., Tenn., Aug. 22, 1837; died Lewisburg, Tenn., Mar. 5, 1914. Burial Mt. Olivet Cemetery, Nashville.


(Page 54)

WILLIAM S. SORRELL born White Co., Tenn., Mar. 29, 1864; died Feb. 18, 1914; married Eva Lowry Oct. 29, 1902. Burial in Obion Co., Tenn.

SARAH ELIZABETH CROW, nee Hinton, born Allen Co., Ky., Dec. 7, 1827; married William J. Crow (died Aug. 6, 1892), Feb. 21, 1850 (seven daus., two sons); moved to Vernon, Texas in 1890; died Feb. 13, 1914.

ELIZA EMILY PARNELL born Panola Co., Miss., Nov. 27, 1848; married H. H. Parnell (died Jan. 9, 1908), Mar. 17, 1869 (eight children); died Oct. 30, 1913.

HOMER MITCHEL, Utopia, Texas, died Dec. 25, 1913 aged 28 years.


April 14, 1914

Rev. J. B. HOLLAND, No. Ga. Conference, died Barnesville, Ga., March 27, 1914.

Rev. JOSEPH FRANKLIN REDFORD observed his 87th birthday, Feb. 26, 1914 [1827] in Bowling Green, Ky.; oldest member of the Louisville Conference. Photograph of him on page 24.

Dr. W. R. MONTGOMERY born Tenn., April 10, 1832; died Cornersville, Miss., Feb. 20, 1914; husband and father (two sons, two daus.)

CORA ALICE VANPELT MORRIS born Jan. 23, 1850; daughter of John E. and Catherine Vanpelt; niece of Rev. Bejamin Peeples; died Feb. 3, 1914; married Rev. J. K. Morris, Oct. 26, 1869; ten children.

JAMES M. DOSS born Calhoun Co., Ala., 1846; died Feb. 15, 1914; clerk of circuit court, Lawrence Co., Ala. for many years; husband and father (one dau., five sons).


April 17, 1914

CALEB LINDSAY COOPER son of John L. and Fannie Lindsay Cooper, born Bedford Co., Tenn., Oct 25, 1836; married Isabella Smith, Nov. 14, 1860; died Feb. 3, 1914; farmer.


April 24, 1914

HARRIET CATHARINE WALSTON daughter of James Garrad Edwards, a grandson of James Garrad the first governor of Kentucky; her mother was a Miss Nooe, granddaughter of Gabriel Slaughter, governor of Virginia, 1812-1816; born Franklin Co., Ala., May 13, 1826; died Russellville, Ala., Mar. 16, 1914; married Rev. James Walston, Feb. 1857 (two daus., deceased; two sons, James H. and Robert I.)


May 1, 1914

Photograph of Rev. W. A. SHELTON, president of Oklahoma Wesleyan College; page 14.

Rev. W. A. KENNAMER, pastor of Methodist Church, East Florence, Ala., died April 17, 1914; mortally stricken while preaching.

Rev. J. W. HUNTER born in Va., June 20, 1824; married Harriet Susan Wall, 1847 and moved to Lincoln Co., Tenn.; moved to Nashville, Tenn. in 1850; bookseller. Children: Mrs. Harvey Weakley, Mrs. W. B. Matthews, Paul; 14 grandchildren; 10 great-grandchildren and 2 great- great grandchildren.


May 8, 1914

Rev. ROBERT M. MORRIS, member of the North West Texas Conference for thirty-three years died Clarendon, Texas, April 13, 1914.

DICY ANN DUNN daughter of Benjamin and Sarah Dunn born in Tenn., Sept. 2, 1830; died Calloway Co., Ky., Mar. 26, 1914; married James W. Dunn (died June 15, 1894), Oct. 22, 1851; ten children, surviving: T. B., J. B., J. C., Mrs. M. F. Guthrie, Rev. W. D., A. E., M. L.

HENRY L. WALKER son of Benjamin D. and Mary Walker, born Lauderdale Co., Tenn., July 11, 1874; died Colorado Springs, Col., Jan. 10, 1914.


(Page 55)

LOUISE URANA DAVIS daughter of Rev. T. H. and Louise Davis, born Denmark, Tenn., Jan. 11, 1902 died Dyer, Tenn., March 7, 1914; pneumonia. Buried in Oakwood Cemetery, Milan, Tenn.

MARY JANE DUGAN born Hardin Co., Ky., Mar. 14, 1830; died Middleton, Ky., Mar. 9, 1914; married James W. Dugan, Oct. 25, 1853; eight children.

JULIUS A. JONES born Fayette Co., N.C., Dec. 3, 1829; married Mary A. Jones, May 1, 1859; died Mar. 23, 1914; local Methodist preacher from 1872; a building contractor in Jackson, Tenn. Children, Celia, died age 17 years and buried in Jackson; Corinth, wife of L. M. Scot, died age 33 years (two children); Mayflower, wife of Dr. Major, Fulton, Ky.; Callie, unmarried; Jacob M., Chicago; Chester H. Jones, Birmingham, Ala. [His death certificate, Madison Co., Tenn. #151, provides names of his parents, Morgan and Lucy Burrows Jones, native of N.C.]


May 15, 1914

Rev. HENRY BASCOME McNEILL so of James B. and Ann McNeill, born Washington Co., Ark., Feb. 11, 1852; entered Methodist ministry in 1878; graduate, Searcy College and Vanderbilt University married Mattie Erwin, Mar. 13, 1882; four children. He died January 5, 1914.

J. B. YOUNG born Jan. 8, 1871; died Mar. 21, 1914; married Nannie Ellis; seven daus., one son (dec.).


May 22, 1914

No obituaries appeared in this issue.


May 29, 1914

No obituaries appeared in this issue.


June 5, 1914

LUCY JORDAN daughter of Crockett I. and Ellen Miller Jordan, Pulaski Co., Va., born April 29, 1853; married Rev. J. Wesley Smith, Oct. 2, 1883 (one son, Rev. Paul J. Smith); died Chicago, Dec. 14, 1913.

PHILIP AUGUSTUS GIBBS born Tipton Co., Tenn., June 18, 1854; married (1) Mary Anne Matthews, 1884; (2) Mrs. Annie Bet Walker, June 28, 1910; died Tipton Co., Tenn., May 10, 1914. He had three daughters, Mrs. James Owen, Mrs. George Green, Mrs. C. Y. Rankin.


June 12, 1914

No obituaries appeared in this issue.


June 19, 1914

GEORGE ROBINSON GIBBS born Brownsville, Tenn., Sept. 23, 1843; died at his home, "Ingleside," seven miles east of Covington, Tenn., May 1, 1914; married Martha Owen, Feb. 26, 1874; five children.

MARY ADELINE JONES born McNairy Co., Tenn., Dec. 8, 1837; married Julius A. Jones, May 1, 1859; after Civil War moved from Purdy, Tenn. to Jackson, Tenn., where they afterwards lived. [She died May 10, 1913; she and daughter, Celia, lie in unmarked graves in Riverside Cemetery, Jackson.]

MILDRED JONES OGDEN born Feb. 14, 1844; died April 14, 1914; married E. F. Ogden, Dec. 7, 1865; seven sons, surviving, Edward F., John W., Walker J., William H., Hayden T. and Clarence A.


June 26, 1914

LUCY SMITH GROSE daughter of William Haines and Sarah Rector Smith, born near Parkersburg, W. Va., Dec. 22, 1854; died Richmond, Va., Apr. 30, 1914; married John A. Grose, Sept. 9, 1908.

Dr. SAM PERRY born N.C., Dec. 1832; moved to Ala. in youth; married Selina Jones (3 daus., 5 sons) died March 18, 1914.


Return to Contents