Goodspeed's History of Tennessee

The Goodspeed Publishing Co., Nashville TN, 1886-1887

Shelby Co. TN

History of Shelby County

transcription donated by Rose-Anne Cunningham Bray

(page 904)

The first paper established in Memphis was the Memphis Advocate, by Thomas Phoebus in January, 1827, the eleventh number appearing March 27 of that year. The Advocate was published several years as a weekly, as was also the Times, both of which papers were consolidated and named the Times and Advocate, this name being afterward changed to the Gazette, with O. P. Gaines, editor. After the Gazette came the Memphis Enquirer, Vol. III, No. 295, appearing December 13, 1849. The Daily Express was started in 1850, No. 176 of Vol. I appearing September 11 of that year, published by J. C. Klinck & Son. The Western World was published by Solon Borland, afterward for many years the United States senator from Arkansas. The full name of this paper was the Western World and Memphis Banner of the Constitution. In 1840 the paper was purchased by Col. Henry Van Pelt and its name changed to the Appeal, the first number of which appeared April 21, 1841, and was dressed in mourning on account of the distinguished President of the United States, William Henry Harrison. John R. McClanahan was associated with Col. Van Pelt until 1851, when the colonel died, and William Hutton became a partner and remained until 1857, when his interest was sold to McClanahan and Leon Trousdale, the latter gentleman having become a partner in 1854. Mr. Trousdale sold his interest in 1859 to W. F. Dill, when the firm became McClanahan & Dill. This firm erected the Appeal building on Union Street, where the paper was published when the Union Army entered the city, June 6, 1862. Early that morning the press and material were started south to Jackson, Miss., where the paper was published until the spring of 1863, when; as Gen. Grant's forces entered West Jackson, the last of the Appeal's material was crossing Pearl River. The wagon carrying part of it being too heavily loaded, the proof press was thrown into the river, whence it was recovered in a few days. From Jackson the paper was carried to Atlanta, where it was published until the early spring of 1865, when it was again forced to move on by the victorious forces of the Union Army. It was finally overtaken by Gen. Wilson at Columbus, Ga., April 16, 1865, when the material was destroyed and Mr. Dill, then with the office, put under bond not to publish the paper again during the war. After the close of the war McClanahan and Dill returned to Memphis, the former during the summer of 1865 falling from the Gayoso House and being killed. The publication of the Appeal was resumed November 5, 1865, by W. F. Dill, and J. H. McMahon soon became connected with it. Mr. Dill dying shortly afterward his widow continued its publication until February 1, 1867, when it became the property of J. S. C. Hogan & ,Co., composed of J. S. C. Hogan, Albert Pike and John Ainslie.

(page 905)

After the lapse of about two years Ainslie, Keating & Co. became the proprietors, and then Keating, English & Co., which firm published the paper until December, 1870, when it was sold at chancery sale to the Appeal Publishing Company, by whom it was published until January, 1876, when it passed to Gallaway (M. C.) & Keating (J. M.). Both the daily and weekly Appeal circulate largely in West Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi and Arkansas. It has always been a Democratic paper, and in the bitter contests of party it has been thoroughly identified with the majority of the people among whom it has circulated, that majority having usually been Democratic.

The Morning Bulletin was founded by J. H. McMahon in the fall of 1855, the publishers being H. D. Bulkley and John Hitchler, and was continued under the same management until May, 1861. In politics it was a conservative Whig, not advocating in 1856 the election of any particular candidate. In 1860 it advocated the election of John Bell to the Presidency, and Edward Everett to the Vice-Presidency. In May, 1861, the Bulletin was purchased by P. B. Wills & Co. (J. B. Bingham) and by them published until the Federal occupation of the city in 1862, when Mr. Wills withdrew, Mr. Bingham continuing the publication until after the war. Mr. Wills soon afterward resumed his interest and the two published it for several years before it was suspended. The Memphis Sun, by W. A. McCloy & Co., succeeded the Bulletin for a few years.

The Commercial was started late in the war by J. M. Keating and associates, and the Argus by Priddy & Brower. Both were consolidated under the name of the Commercial and Argus. After being published a few years it was suspended. J. R. Bingham published the Daily Herald during 1877-79.

The Memphis Daily Avalanche was started in 1858 by M. C. Gallaway, who remained with the paper until the breaking out of the war' when the paper was suspended. After the suppression of the Rebellion the Avalanche was resumed, Mr. Gallaway remaining with it until 1872 or 1873, when he sold out to Col. J. R. Kellar. He, in 1876, formed a partnership with R. A. Thompson, the latter being business manager, and the former, editor. In 1878 Mr. Thompson died of yellow fever, and in 1880 a stock company was formed, Mr. Kellar retiring. During the latter part of the Kellar and Thompson proprietorship, D. A Brower, now of the Little Rock Gazette, was editor, and was succeeded in 1879 by F. S. Nichols, who upon his death in 1884 was succeeded by H. M. Doak, who retained his editorship until December, 1886, when he was succeeded by A. B. Pickett, late city editor of the Memphis Appeal. In politics the Avalanche is mildly Democratic, and is an excellent newspaper.

(page 906)

The Public Ledger was started September 1, 1865, by E. and W. Whitmore under the firm name of Whitmore Bros., and named after the Philadelphia Public Ledger, Mr. William Whitmore having then recently paid a visit to Philadelphia and been highly pleased with the office of that paper. The Memphis Public Ledger was the outgrowth of a job printing office established in 1856, by William Whitmore & Co., and was established after the war, upon the return of E. Whitmore from the Confederate Army, as an afternoon paper. It is now the oldest afternoon paper in the Southern States that has been continuously published. The first editor was F. Y. Rockett, an experienced journalist before the war. He was succeeded by Col. J. J. Du Bose in 1868, who held the position two or three years, and was succeeded in 1872 by the present editor, J. Harvey Mathes, who had been city editor two or three years. In 1870 E. Whitmore became sole proprietor, and so remained until May, 1886, when, retaining the job printing office, he sold the Ledger to J. Harvey Mathes and W. L. Trask, -Mr. Trask having been engaged on the paper eight years as commercial and city editor. The weekly edition of the Ledger has been published since 1869. The Ledger has always been conservatively Democratic. The policy of the paper is expressed in the following extract from its columns of August, 1886: " It is our aim to treat all men, of whatever creed, color or politics, fairly, justly and courteously. The gospel of tolerance and honest difference of opinion in regard to affairs of state, society, morals and government, is destined to be the secular gospel of the near future."

The Southern Post-Journal is a consolidation of two papers, the Memphis Journal and the Memphis Post. The Journal was started in 1875 by Charles Weidt and conducted by him until 1878 when, on account of the yellow fever, he left the city, returning, however, after the epidemic had spent its force, and in the fall he sold the paper to J. B. Huehlefeld. In 1880 the Post was started by a stock company with Carl Koch manager, in opposition to the Journal and was run about nine months when it was purchased by Zimmerman & Bro., who in 1882 purchased the Journal, consolidated the two and changed the name to the Southern Post-Journal. Since 1883 Louis G. Fritz has been editor of this paper. It is a weekly, nine-column folio, is published in the German language and is devoted to the interests of the Germans of Tennessee, Mississippi and Arkansas.

The Union Triangle was started in 1884 by August Hitzfeld as the Universal Triangle, for the purpose of advocating the cause of the Universal Brotherhood. It remained true to the interests of that order until the establishment of the Uolumbic Union, which was incorporated June 21, 1886, under the laws of Ohio, the incorporators being Thomas J. Harcourt, Samuel B. Lowenstein, Julius Kahn, Edward J. McBride and Sarah Durward.

(page 907)

The purpose of this incorporation is benevolence toward the members thereof and their families. The officers of the society are superior president, A. Hitzfeld, Memphis ; superior vice-president, Mrs. Sarah Durward, New Orleans; superior secretary, T. J. Harcourt, Cincinnati, Ohio; superior treasurer, E. J. McBride, St. Louis, Mo. By the first anniversary of its existence its present membership of 1,000 is confidently expected to be 2,000, when a $2,000 insurance policy will be worth its face. The Union Triangle is issued monthly and has a circulation of 5,000.

The Memphis Sunday Times was first issued on the first Sunday in December, 1884, by Walker Kennedy and O. P. Bard, is a seven-column folio, and was devoted to local, social and literary matters. In August, 1885, C. L. Pullen bought the interest of Mr. Bard, since when the Times has been conducted by Kennedy & Pullen, the former gentleman being the editor and the latter, business manager. The form of the paper was changed in September, 1885, to a six-column quarto, and its scope enlarged at the same time by adding Talmage's sermons and a continued story. In March, 1886, the paper was again enlarged to a seven-column quarto. On November 8, 1886, the office was transferred from No. 15 Union Street to the rooms formerly occupied by the Young Men's Christian Association in Odd Fellows' building on the corner of Main and North Court Streets. About the 1st of January 1886, the proprietors commenced illustrating the Times by the photo-engraving process, and it now is a handsomely illustrated home paper.

The Memphis Daily Scimitar was started January 15, 1882, by G. P. M. Turner, as the Memphis Monday Morning Scimitar. It was a nine-column folio and its office was at 65 Adams Street. The Daily Scimitar was started September 11, 1883, and named the Memphis Evening Scimitar. At this time the office was moved to 15 Jefferson Street where it still remains. The editor, Mr. Turner, was assisted by Miss Hattie A. Paul, who had full charge of the business department until the sale of the paper on January 3, 1887, to S. P. Barinds and his associates, with N. Picard in editorial charge, Mr. Barinds himself assuming the business management. The city editor under the new regime is H. P. Richetts. The Monday Morning Scimitar is still published as a weekly paper, and has a circulation of nearly 3,400, while the evening Scimitar has a circulation of about 3,000. In connection with this paper is an excellent job printing office fully equipped with the most improved printing machinery, including a two-revolution Campbell press. The Scimitar has always been the consistent champion of the labor cause, and is very popular with the industrial classes, but it is not in any sense the advocate of anarchy or socialism.

(page 908)

The Southern Record was started in July, 1885, by H. P. Hanson and M. F. Blalack, as a weekly workingmen's paper. At first it was named the Memphis Weekly Record, and was a six-column folio. Its publication commenced on Jefferson Street, between Main and Second Streets. It moved to 295 Second Street in March, 1886, and was sold August 21, 1886, to J. P. Hanson and C. E. Gebhardt, who now conduct it at 20 Jefferson Street. They enlarged the paper to a six-column quarto and placed the editorial department in charge of T. E. Hanson. The circulation of the Record is about 4,000, the subscription price being $1 per year.

The Watchman was started in 1876 by C. C. Dickinson as the Missionary Baptist. In 1882 T. Nightingale joined Mr. Dickinson, and they ran the paper a year, when they sold it to the present company, who changed to Memphis Watchman. It is a four-column, eight-page paper, and is devoted to the interests of the colored race. In politics the paper is Republican. It is edited by J. T. Turner, and has a circulation of 1,200.

The Living Way was started February 10, 1884, under the auspices of the Tennessee Baptist Educational Convention, with W. A. Brinkley as editor and R. N. Countee, business manager, at its present location, 161 Beale Street. It is a weekly paper, and has always been the fearless foe of secret societies as they have existed among the colored people of Memphis, such societies having in many cases been established merely for purposes of fraud. The circulation of the Living Way is about 1,000, and it was one of the first papers to employ colored men as compositors. The entire outfit of the paper is worth about $2,500.

Adam is a "weekly journal for the Christian home." It was founded in March, 1885, by Rev. William Walsh, pastor of St. Brigid's Church. The reason given for the choice of this singular name was that the editor purposed speaking through its columns to all who claimed Adam as their great ancestor. It was originally a thirty-two column paper, and has since then been doubled in size. It was conducted solely by the Rev. William Walsh until June, 1886, when the Adam Publishing Company was established with a capital limited to $30,000, and with its office at 12 Jefferson Street. The officers of this company are John S. Sullivan, president; P. McCadden, vice-president; Rev. William Walsh, secretary. The other directors are John Walsh, Patrick Boyle and Col. H. R. Bate. This paper represents the Catholic elements of the population of Memphis.

(page 909)

The Mississippi Valley Medical Journal was founded in January, 1880, by Dr. Julius Wise, as a forty-eight page octavo pamphlet. Dr. Wise published it about eighteen months, at the end of which time Dr. Sim purchased it and became sole proprietor and editor in July, 1881. Dr. E. A. Neely became associate editor in March, 1886. The magazine is devoted to medical science and to the discussion of sanitary measures. It favors the allopathic school of medicine, and has for its proper field the territory surrounding Memphis and bounded by the fields occupied by similar journals published at Nashville, St. ,Louis, Fort Worth and New Orleans.

The Tennessee Baptist was started in 1834, in Nashville, by the Rey. R. B. C. Howell, D. D., who was its first editor. For the first ten years of the paper's existence its circulation was quite limited, but in 1846 it passed into the control of Rev. J. R. Graves with a list of 1,005. The circulation increased slowly but steadily, and its name was changed to the Tennessee Baptist. Soon after Mr. Graves became the editor the Baptist became the advocate of " Old Landmarkism," and its circulation then rapidly increased. In May, 1858, its editors were announced as J. R. Graves, J. M. Pendleton and A. C. Dayton. When the war broke out the circulation was larger than that of any other Baptist paper in the world. Its publication was suspended during the war, but resumed upon the return of peace, the place of publication being transferred to Memphis and the name changed to its original, the Baptist. In 1876 Mr. Graves, still retaining its editorial management, leased its publication to J. S. Mahaffy and G. W. Cranberry, the latter gentleman retiring in 1881 and Mr. Graves assuming his interest in the publication. The firm name has since been Graves & Mahaffy. In 1876 Mahaffy & Cranberry established the Baptist Book House, which has become the head-quarters for Baptist literature in the South. Among the books published by this house are " The Seven Dispensations," a revised edition of "The Great Iron Wheel," " The Trilemma," "Middle Life," "Old Landmarkism," "Inter-communion," and a series of denominational tracts averaging sixty pages.

The local secret societies of Memphis are the following: Master Masons—Penn Chapter, No. 22; Memphis Chapter, No. 95; R. & S. M. Eureka Council, No: 6; Knights Templar, Memphis Cornmandery No. 4; St. Elmo Comniandery, No. 15; Masonic Board of Re-lief, No. 1.

Independent Order of Odd Fellows—Memphis Lodge,No. 6; Chickasaw Lodge, No.8 ; Schiller Lodge; No. 140; Banner Lodge, No. 147: Gayoso Encampment, No. 3.

(page 910)

Ancient Order of United Workmen—Equity Lodge, No. 20; Johnson Lodge, No. 21; Bluff City Lodge, No. 22; Chickasaw Lodge, No. 40.

Independent Order of Berna Breth ; Euphrates Lodge, No. 35 ; Hiddekel L dge, No. 10; Simon Tuska Lodge, No. 192.

K. S. B.—Ezra Lodge, No. 39; Noph Lodge, No. 137.

I. O. F. of I.—Memphis Lodge, No. 108.

Knights of Honor—Memphis Lodge, No. 196; Chelsea Lodge, No. 280; Diamond Lodge, No. 583: Esperanza Lodge, No. 3105: Fountain Lodge, No. 296; Germaina Lodge, No. 369; Unity Lodge, No. 217; Pearl Lodge, No. 92; Knights and Ladies of Honor, Teutonia Lodge, No. 25 ; Knights and Ladies of Honor, and Rose Lodge, No. 405.

Knights of Pythias—Tennessee Division, No. 1; Roland Division,No. 2; Lodges Pythian, Castle, Constantine, No. 23; Jonathan Woods, No. 30; Memphis, No. 6; Roland, No. 25; Progress, No. 39; Endowment Rank, Section 36, and Section, 370.

American Legion of Honor—Cliickasaw Council, No. 789; Memphis Council, No. 1183.

Grand. Army of the Republic—Memphis Post, No. 3.

Raleigh is historic not for what it now is but from what it has been. The place was named in respect to Joseph Graham, the first circuit clerk of the county, who was from near Raleigh, N. C., and who assisted the commissioners James Fentress, Benjamin Reynolds, William Martin and Robert Jetton in locating the county seat in December, 1824. The land upon which Raleigh was built was obtained from Wilson Sanderlin and James Freeman. The first settler in the neighborhood of Raleigh is said to have been a man by the name of Tapp, who came from North Carolina to that place in 1816. Here he lived and died in the land of his adoption at the age of nearly eighty years, not, however, until such a change had been wrought over the county as if done by the magician's wand. Among the early settlers of Raleigh and vicinity may be mentioned John Only, Benjaman McAlpin, Wilsop Sanderlin, James Wilson, W. P. Reaves, J. R. King, Elias Pharr, Abram Bayless, Dr. Benjamin Hawkins, Thomas Taylor, William Sanders, E. H. Porter, Jesse M. Tate, J. E. Martin, Jefferson Messick, S. M. Allen, A. B. Taylor, T. B. Smith, Reinhurst,Benjaman Duncan and Dr. David Coleman. After the courts began to meet at Raleigh the growth of the place was rapid. It reached its maximum prosperity about 1836. At this time it did an extensive business, perhaps exceeding that of Memphis. The leading business firms at that time were Abram Bayless, Jessee M. Tate, Taylor & Sanderlin, Rawlings & Wren. A saw and grist-mill was built on Wolf River by Wilson Sanderlin.

(page 911)

At the time of its greatest prosperity Raleigh contained from 1,200 to 1,500 inhabitants. The. only grown person who was living in Raleigh in 1836 who still lives is J. J. Rawlings of Memphis. The only ones of any age who lived there at that time are Squire J. M. Coleman and Dr. Duncan. In 1829 provision was made for the erection of an academy at Raleigh by the election of Wm. Battle, Daniel Dunn, J. S. Lemaster and James Rembert as trustees. This was done under the law of 1806 for building academies in the various counties of the State. In a few years the funds of the institution had so increased that a new academy was erected. They were then known as the Raleigh Male and Female Academies. At one time these institutions contained 400 pupils. Courts continued to meet at Raleigh till they were broken up by the war and were soon after moved to Memphis. Such distinguished men as Tapp, Brown, Dunlap, V. T. Barry, Henry Berry, Yerger, Small, Scruggs and Coe were familiar to the citizens of Raleigh. Amusing stories are told of the sudden and unceremonious adjournment of court at this place on the supposed approach of the Federal Army. Owing to muddy roads and the great commercial interests of Raleigh, a great deal of money was expended in the vain attempt to improve the navigation of Wolf River. Raleigh now contains only about 300 inhabitants. There are two or three business houses, two churches, a Methodist and a Presbyterian, and a good school. The town is surrounded by a rich farming country. From the manuscript report of Dr. Enno Sander, analytic chemist of St. Louis, in 1866 it is learned that geologically the formation around Raleigh is of the tertiary period and of the La Grange group, consisting of layers of sand with clay, and containing beds of lignite and marl and sand colored with iron oxides, the depth of the whole amounting to about 200 to 400 feet. The elevation of the place is 127 feet above Memphis. Tapp's Hole, a place containing some peculiar natural physical features is the source of some excellent medicinal springs whose virtues were accidentally discovered by Dr. Coleman in 1842. The following is the analysis of each of the four springs made by Dr. Sander in 1866.

(pages 911-2)


Protocarbonate of iron .193
Chloride of sodium .146
Sulphate of soda. .214
Sulphate of potassa .356
Sulphate of alumina .086
Carbonate of lime .060
Free carbonic acid .450


Chloride of sodium .132
Chloride of potassium .078
Chloride of calcium .135
Chloride of magnesium .003
Bicarbonate of magnesium .143
Protocarbonate of iron .042
Sulphate of lime .175
Free carbonic acid. 1.005


Chloride of sodium .190
Sulphate of soda. .142
Sulphate of potassa .077
Bicarbonate of magnesia .044
Protocarbonate of iron .296
Carbonate of lime .201
Sulphate of alumina .153
Free carbonic acid 1.793


Protocarbonate of iron .421
Chloride of magnesium .083
Chloride of calcium .235
Chloride of sodium .275
Chloride of potassium .015
Free carbonic acid 2.003

The specific gravity of each of these springs is 995. The temperature of Marble Spring is 68° with a range of 10°; the temperature of Free-stone is 66°, and each of the other two range from 72° to 74°. A railroad seems to be the main thing needful for the development of these springs into a great health resort. In 1873 a narrow gauge road was begun from Memphis to Raleigh. The road was graded to the national cemetery by private subscription. In addition to the amount of private subscriptions 650,000 in county bonds were issued to aid the enterprise. The contract for the completion of the road was undertaken but the contractor failed in the financial stagnation of 1873-74. A new charter was issued for the Memphis & Raleigh Springs Road on March 18, 1885. This was chartered by D. H. Porter, John Donnelly, J. M. Coleman and others.

Arlington, lying on the Louisville & Nashville Railroad, twenty-five miles from Memphis, was located as a depot about 1856. The grounds. of nearly five acres were donated by Gen. Sam'l J. Hays. It was called Withe Depot on account of its being the principal shipping point from Old Hickory Withe of Fayette County. Capt. Henry Pittman, who was the first depot agent, built the first dwelling-house in the place. He used the depot building for a schoolhouse during the war. John Dwyer, an Irishman, built the first storehouse in the place. His stock consisted mainly of bad whisky, as it is said the whisky came near drowning out the fire when his house was burned. The second store was built by Alexander Donelson, a planter, who lives about four miles south of Arlington. This house was occupied by Ike Berlin, a Russian Jew, during the war.

(page 913)

All the land surrounding Arlington belonged to the estate of Gen. Hay until 1868, when the executor of the estate laid off the town and sold the lots at public sale. The village began to grow. The place was called Haysville in honor of Gen. Hays, but as no postoffice could be established in that name it was called Withe, until 1883, when it was changed to Arlington. The village now contains 500 inhabitants, and has a steam saw and grist-mill, steam cotton-gin, stores, livery stables, shops, etc., also a Methodist and a Presbyterian Church, and two negro churches. In 1883 the Methodist Church located the Memphis District High School at Arlington. The building is situated on a commanding site overlooking the town and surrounding country. This is a flourishing institution and is known as the college. The following were pioneer settlers in the neighborhood of Arlington, each of whom assisted in opening up the country: Joel Herring came from North Carolina in 1836, John Poore from north Alabama in 1833; Alex Cothran, North Carolina, 1830; Jacob Peck, South Carolina, 1830; Squire Wm. Battle, a very prominent man from North Carolina, 1830; J. Gray, North Carolina, 1845; G. L. Douglass, 1832; W. M. King, Georgia, 1828 ; J. M. Thomas, South Carolina, 1830; Jacob Kirkendal, Georgia, 1828; J. E. Kelley, Alabama, 1830; Jessee Osborn, Alabama, 1829; Lewis Herring. North Carolina, 1830; Alexander Donnelson, Middle Tennessee, 1830; C. A. Starr, Virginia, 1830; George Cherry, 1842. Other well known men were Wm. Exum, E. E. Greenlee and J. Royster.

The second town or city in Shelby County is Collierville, which was named in honor of one of the pioneer settlers. A small business was done as far back as 1840 at the place. In 1848 it had two stores, one owned by S. B. Buford and the other by J. B. Williford. There was no church there at that time and but one schoolhouse, a small, log building. A saloon took prominence among the early enterprises, while cock-fighting and horse-racing became the common amusements of its devotees. The war destroyed most of the business houses and left but few of the residences. Two small engagements were fought at this place during the war. Since the war new life has been instilled into the place. It now boasts of 1,200 inhabitants, good brick business houses, nine dry goods stores, eight grocery stores, two drug stores, two hardware stores, two furniture stores, three livery stables, two hotels and shops, grist-mill, saw-mill, etc. Among the oldest business men are Dr. Stratton, J. K. Waddy and J. T. Briggs. There are two colleges, Bellevue and Miss Holdens' school. The two have an enrollment of over 300. The churches are the Methodist Episcopal South, Christian, .Missionary Baptist and Presbyterian.

(pagee 914)

The postmasters before the war were M. F. Robinson and J. L. Jones. Then since that time have been G. H. Davis, R. W. Ramsey, M. S. Say, Mrs. E. M. Bleckley, Thomas Bleckley, S. H. Russell and the present incumbent, J. T. Williams. Collierville was incorporated by an act passed February 17, 1870. J. B. Abbington was the first mayor with the following aldermen: J. Lynch, John Moore, S. D. Mangum, A. S. Stratton and J. R. Waddy. The town is located near the southeast corner of Shelby County, within four miles of the Mississippi line, from which State it receives a large trade. The present mayor is R. F. C. Moss; the aldermen are John W. Houston, F. M. Gilliland, Jr., W. C.Coopwood, T. H. Humphreys and J. E. Harrell. Magnolia Cemetery, near Collierville, is a striking feature of the place. It receives great care and is a chartered institution of which J. R. Waddy is president.

Bartlett lies about eleven miles from Memphis, on the Louisville & Nashville Railroad. It was formerly called Union Depot and was a mere station on the railroad at its first construction. In 1866 it was incorporated and the name was changed to Bartlett in honor of Maj. G. M. Bartlett, who was one of the pioneer settlers in the neighborhood of the place. Maj. Bartlett was not only a pioneer settler, but at one time a magistrate, a member of the Legislature and a business man of Memphis. Bartlett is situated at the corner of three large tracts of land—Pruden's, Ward's and Bartlett's tracts. Joseph Walker was one of the first business men of the place. Bartlett had little growth until after the war. One of the most active men in building up the place was I. B. Mercer. The village now contains about 300 inhabitants. The principal business firms are Small & Massey, W. O. Edwards, W. R. Cross & Co., A. B. Lurry and F. J. Warner, These are all general stores. There are two grist-mills, each having a gin attached, one mill owned by J. M. Davis, the other by M. Gotten. Bartlett contains three churches:, Methodist, Baptist and Cumberland Presbyterian; the Methodist formerly worshiped at Pisgah but since a class was organized in Bartlett, and about 1870 a new house was built in the town. The membership of the church is about 100. The Baptists formerly worshiped in a log house, but have since erected a nice frame building. The Cumberland Presbyterians have a church, but do not maintain regular church services. A very pleasant feature of Bartlett is her excellent school. The school was chartered in 1885, by Dr. John McBrooks as president of the board; John F. Cochran, secretary and treasurer, with S. Williford, M. Jones, J. A. Arbuckle and others as directors. The school is managed by Neuhardt & Neuhardt, assisted by Miss Lizzie Pope. The schools are carried on about ten months in the year and have an enrollment of about 100 pupils.

(page 915)

The board owns a good schoolhouse in what was formerly the Bartlett courthouse. The country surrounding Bartlett has a soil of moderate fertility, but some of it is much worn by continuous growth of cotton. This land, however, is easily reclaimed and yields excellent fruits and vegetables.

The pioneer settlers in the vicinity of Bartlett include Maj. Bartlett, above mentioned, Drs. Samuel and Washington Bond and John Bond. The three Bonds were brothers and came to the county from North Alabama. They all opened up plantations in the virgin forests. Joseph Ward settled a part of the land on which Bartlett now stands. Joseph Blackwell settled in the same neighborhood. S. L. Berryhill has been living in the vicinity for half a century or more. He is one of the few pioneers still living. Joseph Locke, a pioneer and a good man, left a family and a good name. Besides these the Crenshaws, Pulliams and Prudens might be mentioned. Bond Station, four miles east of Bartlett, is a station on the same road. It contains a store, postoffice and gin. Cedar Grove is a station one mile west of Bartlett.

Germantown, comprising about 200 inhabitants, is situated about fifteen miles southeast of Memphis on the Memphis & Charleston Railroad. It took its name from the fact that a large number of German families settled in that vicinity in an early day. The land where the village stands was owned by Nancy Shepherd. The first business in the place was done about 1830. Among the first merchants was a man named Rash. Soon after came Lucker and Schieley, two Germans. This village, being near the line of the old Memphis & La Grange Railroad, it was a place of great commercial activity from 1840 to 1850 and even some time later. The place was incorporated about 1854 but the charter was allowed to lapse during the war. It was reincorporated, however, in 1880, on petition by R. T. Anderson, E. M. Cole, J. A. Thompson and seventeen others. Cotton and the usual farm products are handled extensively at Germantown. The principal business firms of the present time are C. M. Callis, G. W. Thomas, W. E. Miller, E. W. Gorman, Hatcher & King and Tuggle & Kimbrough. Germantown was terribly scourged by the yellow fever in 1878. About fifty per cent of those taking the disease died. The disease was imported from other plague stricken sections. Germantown is well supplied with churches, Methodist Episcopal Church South, Presbyterian and Baptist. Each of these denominations have good houses of worship. The Presbyterian Church alone escaped the ravages of the war. The membership of these churches is about 50, 75 and 125, respectively. The most distinguished divine in this vicinity is Rev. Evans, of Germantown, who has been administering to the spiritual interests of his flock for more than a quarter of a century.

(page 916)

Two very distinguished physicians of this place were Drs. Morgan and Cornelius. Present physicians are Drs. Williams and Yancy. Germantown Lodge, No. 95, was instituted by dispensation in April, 1841, and was regularly chartered October 7, 1841. The officers were Joseph Collis, W. M.; B. Duke, S. W.; Jas. Kimbrough, J. W. ; W. Evans, Tyler; Chas. D. McLean, Treas. ; J. D. White, L. Henderson, Sec. A hall was erected by this order in 1852, which still stands. The present officers of the lodge are A. J. Wight, W. M. ; J. S. Weir, S. W. ; A. G. Kimbrough, J. W. ; E. W. Gorman, Sec. ; R. T. Anderson, Treas. ; N. F. Harrison and N. J. Ulander, Deacons; G. W. Bandon, Tyler. Present membership, 34.

Caro Lodge No. 1664, Knights of Honor, was organized June 28, 1879, with thirteen members. The present membership is forty-seven. The officers are Robt. Payne, S. W., and Wm. Evans, J. W. This lodge also meets in the Masonic Hall.

The public schools of Germantown are taught in the Masonic Hall, first floor. The enrollment of pupils amounts to about 100. The school term lasts about five months. They are under control of Prof. B. J. T. Moss, with Mrs. Moss as assistant, and Miss Jessie Williams primary. Other stations or villages are Buntyn, White, Ridgeway, Forrest Hill, Bailey, Ray's Station and Holly's Crossing.

Few if any settlers located in the vicinity of Germantown previous to the year 1825. Wm. Twyford came from Kentucky in 1825 and settled beyond Wolf River. He is said to have assisted in building the first store house in Memphis. .The Ecklins—Joshua and Robert—came from North Carolina in the fall of 1833 and settled on a plantation almost entirely in the woods. Frances Wright's Nashoba settlement was entered mainly in 1824. The history of this settlement is related elsewhere: Wesley and Winfred Cole came to the county about 1833. The Masseys, Benjamin Robbins, Eppy and J. D. White were in the county before 1835. John Gant was from Middle Tennessee, but afterward moved to Texas. Squire Henry T. Jones came to Shelby County the last of 1835, and still lives near Germantown, hale and hearty, at eighty-six. Mrs. Lucy Coghill has lived in the county since 1825. Others who deserve mention are the Bonds, E. Pulliam, B. Willett, E.. Amonett, E. Clark, Thomas Davison and Thomas Allen. Thomas Davison was one of the first circuit riders ever in West Tennessee. The majority of these persons opened plantations out of the virgin forests and were men of the highest character.

Lucy is a pleasant little village on the line of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad. It is a fine business point.