A GENEALOGICAL MISCELLANY, MADISON COUNTY, TENNESSEE
By Jonathan K. T. Smith
Copyright, Jonathan K. T. Smith, 1996
(includes Amos and Lucy Foster Black Family Bible Record)
On Riverside Drive Extended two miles north of Medon, Tennessee turn west on Rochelle Road and drive .9 mile to the residence of Mr. A. C. Scott on the south side of this road. The cemetery is located a short distance behind this man's house.
LUCY, wife of A. BLACK
Died Mar. 23, 1857
Aged 48 ys 11 ms 22 d.
Born Jan. 20, 1804
Died Sept. 3, 1877
ROET. P. DUNAWAY
Born Nov. 24, 1825
Died Dec. 2, 1860
ANDREW J. Son of A. & LUCY BLACK
Died Dec. 9, 1845
Aged 8 mos. l day
Died Sept. 1833
Erected to the memory of our dear mother
(a broken tombstone)
A large upright tombstone stood to the south of Elizabeth York's grave, judging from size of base. Mr. A. C. Scott said that he remembered that at one time there were several children's tombstones in this cemetery, all these children having died in September 1877.
AMOS BLACK (1804-1877) bought the land the York Cemetery was located on and sold out in 1855 when he moved to Hardeman County, Tennessee. Mr. Roy W. Black, Sr. of Bolivar, Tennessee was a great-grandson of Amos and Lucy (Foster) Black, buried in this cemetery. Amos Black was one of the thirteen children of JOHN BLACK (1778-1838) and a brother of EUNICE BLACK STRIBLING.
The family record in old Bible of Amos Black, given below, courtesy of Hardeman Co. Library (where record is in the Roy W. Black collection):
AMOS & LUCY FOSTER BLACK FAMILY BIBLE RECORD
This Bible descended to family of George Washington Black , 9/8/1848, was loaned to Roy Watterson Black, grandson of James Rite Black. (Oct. 5 1832-July 10. 1912) for transcription of its records, by Mrs. Ella Black Joyner, daughter of aforesaid George Washington Black.
(1) Amos Black was borned the year 1804, January 20'th.
(2) Lucy Black was bornee April 1'st, 1808.
(3) Nancy A. Black urns horned July 25'th, 1826.
(4) John C. Black was borned September 22'nd, 1828.
(5) Robert E. Black was borned October 10'th, 1830.
(6) James Rite Black was bornad October 5'th, 1832.
(7) William F. Black was borned May 20'th, 1835.
(8) Joseph A. Black was borned February 20'th, 1838.
(9) Thomas J. Black was borned July 29'th, 1840.
(10) Sary J. A. Black was horned September 12'th, 1843.
(11) Andrew J. Black was borned April 8'th, 1845.
(12) George W. Black was borned September 8'th, 1848.
(13) Laura E. Black was borned November 27'th, 1858.
(14) Amos Black and Lucy Foster was married September 29'th, 1825.
(15) Amos Black and Jane M. Stevens was married November 5'th, 1857
(16) Andrew J. Black, deceased 9'th of December 1845. (Age 8 mo. 1 day)
(17) Lucy Black, the wife of A. Black, departed this life 23rd of March, Monday morning at 4: 00 o'clock 1857.
(18) Amos Black departed this life 3'rd of September 1877 at 2: 00 o'clock, Monday morning.
(19) Jane M. Black, wife of Amos Black, departed this life 2'nd day of September 1899.
Return to Contents