GENEALOGICAL GLEANINGS FROM THE DEED BOOKS 20 THROUGH 27
1857-1870, MADISON COUNTY, TENNESSEE
By Jonathan K. T. Smith
Copyright, Jonathan K. T. Smith, 1995
LAND CONVEYED TO CHURCHES
IN MADISON COUNTY, TENNESSEE
IN DEED BOOKS ONE THROUGH NINE
DEED BOOK 3, pages 355-356. ALFRED TURNER conveyed to JOSEPH MIDYETT, THEOPHILUS PULLIAM, WILLIAM ANDERSON, SUGARS McLEMORE, EDWARD MATHIAS and WILLIAM
DICKINS, WILLIAM KING, BENJAMIN HARDY, ANDREW CARODINE, with a "desire to advance the cause of religion", to them as trustees of Methodist Episcopal Church South, the 5 acres known as the BIG SPRING CAMPGROUND. It was to be kept for use as a campground. August 19, 1833. Reg August 23, 1833. No wits.
DEED BOOK 3, pages 536-537. WILLIAM H. LONG conveyed one acre of land from his "love and affection" for the Christian religion, to DAVID MERIWETHER, PHILIP ALSTON, WILLIAM EWING, as trustees for the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mention of "Wm. H. Long's south boundary line in front of the church." July 9, 1834. Reg July 14, 1834. No wits.
DEED BOOK 5, page 348. JAMES McFARLAN, Madison Co., Tenn. conveyed to WYATT MOORING, JOHN BRADBURY, A. W. TAYLOP, S. JOHNSON, JOHN SIMMONS, trustees of MT. CARMEL METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH "one acre where Mount Carmel meeting house stands." April 29, 1837. Reg Juno 26, 1837. Wit John D. Williams.
DEED BOOK 5, pages 440-441. JOHN TIDWELL, Madison Co., Tenn. conveyed to M. ANDERSON, WILLIAM BRINKLEY, WILLIAM HOPPER, NELSON DAY, CULLEN LAIN /LANE/, JOHN MOORING, D. McFARLEN, trustees, One acre where "Mt. PLEASANT MEETING HOUSE now stands beginning on said Tidwell's west boundary line near Phardugh Byrn's spring so as to make the meeting house centerable." Being Mt. Pleasant Methodist Episcopal Church. April 11, 1837. Reg Oct. 24, 1837. No wits.
DEED BOOK 8, pages 267-270. JOHN BLAIR and wife, MARTHA conveyed to JOHN HENNING JAMES BLAIR, RICHARD ROBINSON, BARNET HARDY, RICHARD G. HENNING, FRANCIS MERIWETHER, DAVID MERIWETHER, JOSEPH B. HENNING, A. COOK, trustees, 4 acres "that they shall erect and build or cause to be erected and built thereon a house or place of worship" for the Methodist Episcopal Church. Oct. 1, 1839. Reg June 3, 1842. Wits John R. Graves, Wm. M. Reeny.
DEED BOOK 8, page 523. WILLIAM DOAK conveyed to DAWSON D. BENNET, JAMES L. McDONALD, THOMAS RAWLINGS, FORDHAM BLACKMON, MATHEW JACKSON, ½ acres "in trust as a burying ground." Dec. 26, 1842. Reg Jan. 28, 1843. No wits /This is the ground of the oldest portion of today's Brown's Cemetery about 7 miles east of Jackson. Doak's wife had died in 1841 and he apparently decided to give this parcel of land next to the Bethany Methodist Episcopal Church./
DEED BOOK 9, page 10. JOAB WILSON for "love" he entertained for the Methodist Episcopal Church conveyed to DAVID MERIWETHER, FRANCIS MERIWETHER, THOMAS D. TARVER, JOSEPH C. STEWARD, ANDERSON SKILLERN, ISAAC A. SKILLERN, THOMAS H. NEWBORN, DAWSON BOND, THOMAS M. COBB, trustees for the Methodist Episcopal Church, Denmark, 1 acre and 40 poles in Civil Dist. 4, Madison Co. May 30, 1842. Reg March 6, 1843. No wits.
DEED BOOK 9, pages 339-340. GRANDERSON SPURLOCK for $450 from the rector, warden and vestrymen of St. LUKE'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH, sold them Lot 48 in Jackson, Tenn. June 27, 1844. Reg June 28, 1844. Wits W. B. Stewart, Wm. H. Connelly.
DEED BOOK 9, page 371. ADAM BROWN conveyed to D. B. BENNETT, JAMES L. McDONALD, THOMAS RAWLINGS, FORDHAM BLACKMON, MATHEW JACKSON, one acre so "that they shall erect and build or cause to be erected and built thereon a house or place of worship" for members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Apr. 22, 1835. Reg August 31, 1844. Wits Calvin Thompson, George W. Brown. /This is land given to BETHANY Methodist Episcopal Church, subsequently known as Brown's Methodist Church, now Brown's United Methodist Church in Madison County./
Return to Contents