DR. DUDLEY H. WILLIAMS CEMETERY
Jonathan K. T. Smith
This cemetery record was found in the vertical file at the Everett Horn Library in Lexington. The format has been changes for HTML presentation.
Located about .2 mile south of Rocky Springs Road, from a lane off this road about a half mile from its juncture with Highway 22-North at Parker's Cross Roads.
The old Dr. Dudley H. Williams' log house (two story log house, two rooms over two rooms) stood for many years about .1 mile from Rocky Springs Road just southwest of which was the family graveyard. According to Mr. Rush Kee (born 1930), whose family has owned this location for many years, the old Williams house burned about 1945. He remembered personally seeing dark blotches on timbers in upstairs of the house his elders told him were blood stains from wounded soldiers brought there for treatment at the time of the battle of Parker's Cross Roads in December 1862.
The burial ground has been disturbed by cattle and some tombstones are missing.
Andrews, Lester, May 13, 1883-Nov.30, 1883, "Son of Dr. A. G. & M. E. Andrews"
Andrews, Hewlett, May 13, 1883- July 10,1883, "Son of Dr. A. G. & M. E. Andrews"
Pritchard, J .W., May 11, 1829-August 25, 1881
a footstone inscribed: A.M.P.
Lower portion of a tombstone inscribed: Died Oct.13, 1883
[This marked the grave of Dr. Dudley H. Williams. The various censuses indicate that Dr. Williams was born about 1815.]
Also buried here, according to the Jackson Dispatch (Tenn.), September 5, 1890, is Susan, widow of Dr. D. H. Williams, born September 20, 1820; died August 24, 1890; married in 1835.
There may be other individuals buried in this abandoned cemetery but now forgotten.
Lester and Hewette Andrews were the twin sons of Dr. Adolphus Gayleon Andrews and his wife, Mary Elizabeth (Williams) Andrews, the latter a daughter of Dr. Dudley H. and Susan Williams. Dr. Andrews and family lived in Spring Creek, Tennessee.
Return to Henderson County, Tennessee Cemetery Records