Tombstone Inscriptions, Et Cetera from the Black Cemeteries of Chester County, Tennessee
From Mifflin, Tennessee drive northwest about a mile over Mifflin Road to Roundtree Road, turn north thereon and drive about .6 mile to Mt. Pleasant Road (formerly Ross Road), turn left thereon and less than .1 mile on the north side of this road stands a cedar tree that marks the location of this burial ground.
Mr. Melvin Butler, a senior citizen who spent his youth on a nearby farm and still lives in the community, remembered this cemetery well and pointed out its location to the writer. Other individuals in this community reported remembering this cemetery. The cemetery was abandoned and in fairly recent years a former owner of the property obliterated all evidence of the cemetery but Mr. Butler remembered that numerous graves were marked by sandstones and there were two or three regular tombstones for graves and are no longer there. Even though all grave-markers have been removed, persons with relatives buried here may take solace in the fact that the graves themselves have not been destroyed. For many years this cemetery was located on the white Peachy family farm, their ruined residence reportedly still standing on the property.
The death certificate of one person buried here, Scott C. Cooper, who died in 1925 is shown here:
Death certificates indicate some other persons buried here:
PRESS COOPER, 1894-September 7, 1916
HARRIET MALVINA TUCKER, December 11, 1867-November 21, 1917; dau of Joe Arnold and Carline Ross, both parents given as born in Virginia
Return to Contents