Location: 4 miles N of Benton at the place once known as the town of Columbus, now known as Columbus farm.
Date established: 1820 or earlier. Earliest inscription is Nov. 27, 1820
By whom established: By Indians or earliest settlers of the town of Columbus.
Number of graves: Once was 800.
Acreage: 180 ft x 240 ft.
Date: January 29, 1940
Remarks: Dearborn's Treaty with the Cherokee, made in January 7, 1806, provided, among other things, that a grist mill shall, within one year from date thereof, be built in the Cherokee Country for the use of the nation, at such place as shall be considered most convenient. The U.S. Government sent a German immigrant named John Hildebrand, and the Indians agreed upon this place on the Conasauga Creek. The natural town-site location of Columbus. The following Calhoun's Treaty made February 27, 1819, caused the town of Columbus to become the frontier town of Indian trade. Until 1838, Columbus retained its trade with the Cherokees. When the Tennessee Legislature named a new county in honor of Gov. James K. Polk, Columbus was named the county seat until the people of the county could vote where the seat should be. Benton was selected to be the county seat and the town of Columbus gradually became no more. The population has been estimated to have been between 200 and 500 at Columbus town. There is no town now. Where the town was, is the Ezekiel Dunn family cemetery in the back yard of the Thomas Pannell old house, or on the west side of Conasauga Creek and North side of the Hiwassee River, not far from the mouth of Conasauga Creek. The cemetery is North of the old town site, on higher ground and possibly half a mile away. It is now in timber. Two of the graves have been dug into of late, that of stanuix Hard, son of william Hard, who died in 1820 and Col. Henry Bradford, who was born the night that General Washington crossed the Deleware and captured 1,000 Hessians. Rachel, the wife of Col. Bradford, was not disturbed in her grave. Col. Henry Bradford was prominent in McMinn County, and also served as a member of McMinn County Court for several years about 1830. This section of Polk County North of the Hiwassee River was in McMinn before Polk County was formed. The last one buried was a Bradford child. The cemetery is in a bad condition. Two graves dug into were left open by the grave theives.