FAMILY HISTORIES OF
PERSONS BURIED AT
WILLIAM SPENCER POINDEXTER
1. Born in Russellville. KY, lies here with his 3 wives.
2. Came to C’ville as young man to be bookkeeper for W.S. McClure Warehouse.
3. Given job to figure how many hogsheads the warehouse could accommodate.
4. To make room for more hogsheads, Poindexter figured “the rats out of their holes."
5. Thus the warehouse became known as Rat—proof Warehouse” as a parody on a rival warehouse known as “Fire-proof”.
6. Dau. Lula Poindexter married W. B. Anderson and they built home on North Second which became Clarksville Hospital from 1929 — 1954.
Information used on the Greenwood Historic Tour of 2001. Site location information may be found on the Greenwood Cemetery site.
Submitted by Randall Rubel e-mail: RRUBEL@peoplepc.com
Return to the Montgomery County