FAMILY HISTORIES OF
PERSONS BURIED AT
GOV. WYLIE BLOUNT
1. Gov. Blount was granted Mont. Co. land in 1802, the year he moved here, for his services as secretary to his bro, William Blount who had been appointed by Pres. George Washington as territorial governor of N. Carolina land south of the River Ohio.
2. Wylie (sometimes spelled “Willie”), half bro. to William, was the 3rd ELECTED Gov. of TN, serving 3 terms 1809—1815.
3. BEFORE he was elected Gov., he served Mont. Co. in the state legislature 1802—1809.
4. Gov. Wylie’s farm, now belonging to Frank Gracey Childers, (known today as Governor’s Grant Farm) was the site of his first burial in 1835 when he died. It wasn’t until Oct 1877 when his body (as well as members of his family) was exhumed and placed here in G’wood.
5. The original log house (now razed) was wall papered with newspapers
which extolled Napolean’s victories during the Napoleanic wars, including
his defeat at the Battle of Waterloo, 1815.
Information used on the Greenwood Historic Tour of 2001. Site location information may be found on the Greenwood Cemetery site.
Submitted by Randall Rubel e-mail: RRUBEL@peoplepc.com
Return to the Montgomery County