MONTGOMERY COUNTY TENNESSEE
Descendants of William Balthrop
Generation No. 1
1. WILLIAM1 BALTHROP was born Abt. 1675 in Stafford, Va., and died 1719 in Stafford, Va.. He married MARGARET JONES. She was born Abt. 1675 in Westmoreland, Va., and died Abt. 1698 in Va..
Notes for WILLIAM BALTHROP:
Balthrop and descendants was obtained from the Family Search of the
Christ of Latter Day Saints. From the International Genealogical Index, there are possibly more
links to the family:
William Balthrop, son of Richard and Hannah Balthrop, christened Sept. 15, 1639 in Hertford, England
William Balthrop, son of Thomas Balthrop, christened May ,19, 1581, London, England
Child of WILLIAM BALTHROP and MARGARET JONES is:
2. i. WILLIAM2 BALTHROP, b. Abt. 1700, Stafford, Va..
Generation No. 2
2. WILLIAM2 BALTHROP (WILLIAM1) was born Abt. 1700 in Stafford, Va.. He married FRANCES KITCHEN Abt. 1723 in Stafford, Va.. She was born Abt. 1700 in Stafford, Va..
Child of WILLIAM BALTHROP and FRANCES KITCHEN is:
3. i. JOHN3 BALTHROP, b. Stafford, Va.; d. 1762, Va..
Generation No. 3
3. JOHN3 BALTHROP (WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born in Stafford, Va., and died 1762 in Va.. He married JEMIMA WHITE, daughter of JAMES WHITE and JEMIMA. She was born Abt. 1730 in Westmoreland, Va., and died 1762.
Children of JOHN BALTHROP and JEMIMA WHITE are:
4. i. WILLIAM4 BALTHROP, b. 1750, Westmoreland, Va.; d. 1835, Dickson, Tn.
ii. JOHN BALTHROP, b. Abt. 1752.
iii. SHARP BALTHROP, b. Abt. 1754.
iv. SHARP BALTHROP, b. Abt. 1755.
v. JAMES BALTHROP, b. Abt. 1759.
Generation No. 4
4. WILLIAM4 BALTHROP (JOHN3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born 1750 in Westmoreland, Va., and died 1835 in Dickson, Tn. He married MARY CHRISTIAN Abt. 1786, daughter of DRURY CHRISTIAN and LUCRETIA WILLIAMS. She was born 1753 in Warren,N.C., and died July 04, 1843 in Dickson, Tn..
Notes for WILLIAM BALTHROP:
Info was obtained from the Mormon genealogy records on the ancestors of this Wm.
Children of WILLIAM BALTHROP and MARY CHRISTIAN are:
5. i. FRANCIS5 BALTHROP, b. Abt. 1791.
ii. WILLIAM BALTHROP, b. Abt. 1787.
iii. WYLIE BALTHROP, b. October 10, 1789.
iv. ELIZABETH BALTHROP, b. Abt. 1793.
v. JOHN BALTHROP, b. Abt. 1795.
vi. LUCY BALTHROP, b. Abt. 1797.
vii. MARGARET BALTHROP, b. Abt. 1763.
viii. SARAH BALTHROP, b. Abt. 1760.
ix. AUGUSTINE BALTHROP, b. January 1761.
x. NANCY BALTHROP, b. Abt. 1765.
Generation No. 5
5. FRANCIS5 BALTHROP (WILLIAM4, JOHN3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born Abt. 1791. He married (1) POLLY GARDNER. He married (2) SALLY RODWELL.
Children of FRANCIS BALTHROP and POLLY GARDNER are:
6. i. JOHN CHRISTIAN6 BALTHROP.
ii. PATSY KEMP BALTHROP.
iii. ELIZABETH WALLER BALTHROP.
iv. THOMAS GARDNER BALTHROP.
v. WILLIAM BALTHROP.
vi. JAMES MADISON BALTHROP.
Children of FRANCIS BALTHROP and SALLY RODWELL are:
vii. ROBERT6 BALTHROP.
viii. HENRY F. BALTHROP.
ix. JORDAN R. BALTHROP.
Generation No. 6
6. JOHN CHRISTIAN6 BALTHROP (FRANCIS5, WILLIAM4, JOHN3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) He married NANCY WHITE.
Child of JOHN BALTHROP and NANCY WHITE is:
7. i. WILLIAM HENRY7 BALTHROP.
Generation No. 7
7. WILLIAM HENRY7 BALTHROP (JOHN CHRISTIAN6, FRANCIS5, WILLIAM4, JOHN3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) He married (1) M. J. HARRIS December 28, 1855 in Robertson County, Tennessee. She was born 1834, and died Aft. 1864 in Texas. He married (2) ELIZABETH CATHERINE MEHALE FRANCES NICHOLS Abt. 1868. She was born 1833 in Robertson Co, Tn., and died 1926 in Robertson Co, Tn..
Notes for WILLIAM HENRY BALTHROP:
Wm. Henry Balthrop and family was
acquired from Granville Balthrop .
In the 1860 federal census of Fannin Co., Texas, Wm. is listed as 26 y/o, farmer, with 2 children, John B. age 3, and Lucy A. age 1, with wife M.J., age 25.
Also listed in an internet posting of "Indigent Families of Fannin Co., Texas:
'W.H.Balthrop, 3 in family, taken of Feb. 23, 1864"
Children of WILLIAM BALTHROP and M. HARRIS are:
8. i. WILLIAM HENRY8 BALTHROP, JR., b. April 29, 1866, Texas; d. November 11, 1939, Robertson County, Tennessee.
ii. JOHN B. BALTHROP, b. 1857, Texas; d. Bef. 1868, Texas.
iii. LUCY A. BALTHROP, b. 1859, Texas; d. Bef. 1868, Texas.
Generation No. 8
8. WILLIAM HENRY8 BALTHROP, JR. (WILLIAM HENRY7, JOHN CHRISTIAN6, FRANCIS5, WILLIAM4, JOHN3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born April 29, 1866 in Texas, and died November 11, 1939 in Robertson County, Tennessee. He married (1) MARY GERMAN GIVINS 1888. She was born February 1868 in Texas, and died Bet. 1904 - 1910 in Tn.. He married (2) SUSAN ANGELINE BALTHROP Aft. 1910. She was born October 17, 1867 in Robertson Co, Tn., and died June 05, 1941 in Robertson Co, Tn..
Notes for WILLIAM HENRY BALTHROP, JR.:
Family history from Hermoine ( granddaughter), relates the story of Wm.,Jr. being born in Texas, and coming horseback to Tennessee , carried by his father following the death of his mother. They settled in Robertson Co. where it was rumored that he became sheriff.
Notes for MARY GERMAN GIVINS:
According to daughter, Mattie ,died during birth of 11th child, an unnamed male. The child died one day after birth.
Children of WILLIAM BALTHROP and MARY GIVINS are:
9. i. MATTIE ELIIZABETH9 BALTHROP, b. February 08, 1890, Robertson County, Tennessee; d. September 09, 1975, Clarksville, Montgomery County, Tenn. in local hospital.
10. ii. WILLAM LEE BALTHROP, b. October 1889; d. September 1959.
11. iii. JOHN PETTY BALTHROP, b. April 1891; d. June 1970.
iv. WALTER HART BALTHROP, b. April 1893; d. 1953.
Notes for WALTER HART BALTHROP:
Hart was in business in Robertson Co. with his brother , Lee
12. v. GUS HENRY BALTHROP, b. January 1894; d. October 1974.
vi. LUTISHA MAI BALTHROP, b. March 1897; d. June 26, 1988; m. TOM RANSDELL; b. 1898; d. 1985.
Notes for LUTISHA MAI BALTHROP:
Mae and Tom had no children
13. vii. DEWEY MCMILLION BALTHROP, b. November 1898; d. January 1972.
viii. THOMAS BURGESS BALTHROP, b. October 19, 1900; d. November 1978; m. UNKNOWN COOLEY.
14. ix. LUCY MARGARET BALTHROP, b. 1904.
x. FELIX EWING BALTHROP.
xi. UNNAMED BALTHROP.
Generation No. 9
9. MATTIE ELIIZABETH9 BALTHROP (WILLIAM HENRY8, WILLIAM HENRY7, JOHN CHRISTIAN6, FRANCIS5, WILLIAM4, JOHN3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born February 08, 1890 in Robertson County, Tennessee, and died September 09, 1975 in Clarksville, Montgomery County, Tenn. in local hospital. She married HUGH ELZIE MARTIN June 06, 1906 in Robertson Co., Tn.?, son of JOSEPH MARTIN and AMANDA MARTIN. He was born October 31, 1882 in Auburn, Kentucky, and died April 24, 1949 in Clarksville, Montgomery County, Tenn. at home.
Notes for MATTIE ELIIZABETH BALTHROP:Mammy, as she was called by her grandchildren, was an independent, strong
on his birthday, their anniversary, and special holidays; she never stopped missing him.
Mattie's neighbors loved her and she was a good neighbor, visiting the sick with food from her table and vegetables from her garden. She helped to raise all her grandchildren and her home was a favorite place for them to be. She always had her family over for Sunday dinner, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. She was a good cook, and few people came into her house without a meal. She always said she had rather feed one hungry person than several who weren't hungry, because those who weren't hungry always ate more. When they said they weren't hungry, she would say, "Well, then, eat to keep from getting hungry", at her offer of a place at her table or a snack. When company sat at her table, she would say "Make yourself at home, if you're not at home, you ought to be" meaning they should feel at home in her house ! Everyone always understood this, but there was one lady that took offense to her statement, and got up and went home! Mammy got a good laugh from that, and she and the lady were great friends from then on after an explanation to her meaning and an apology.
When her granddaughter, Geraldine married, Mattie told her husband he would always be her friend as long as he treated her granddaughter right. He became one of her favorite people.
Her home was a fun place to be for everyone and she always enjoyed company,
whether it was in her living room or on her front porch, where she most enjoyed
being, when weather permitted, so she could see people go by, and wave to them or exchange a few words of greeting if they were walking.
She suffered a stroke in 1971 and was confined to bed most of the time thereafter, losing her ability to talk . She died four years later and was missed sorely by her many loved ones.
Notes for HUGH ELZIE MARTIN:Elzie, as he was known, was born in Ky. , met and married his wife in Robert-
Children of MATTIE BALTHROP and HUGH MARTIN are:
i. MARY ELOIS10 MARTIN, b. October 29, 1910, Clarksville, Tenn.; d. September 08, 1994, Clarksville, Tenn.; m. JAMES BEDFORD MANSELL, September 22, 1934, Clarksville, Montgomery County, Tenn.; b. May 08, 1912, Monterey, Tenn., Fentress County; d. March 25, 1950, Clarksville, Tenn. at home.
Notes for MARY ELOIS MARTIN:Lois, as she was known, was born and raised in Clarksville, Tenn., gradua- ting from Clarksville High School in 1933. She met and married her husband while Salty was in Clarksville with the Civilian Conservation Corps. She spent most of her working life as a seamstress at various factories in Clarksville, Central Mfg., O'Blander Shirt Factory, Acme Boot, and retired from Victory Cleaners at Oak Grove, Ky. (across from Gate 4 at Fort Campbell) where she became somewhat of a surrogate mother to the soldiers who patronized the cleaners. She loved to sew and especially enjoyed making quilts. Each of her children and grandchildren have a quilt she made. There were many quilt tops which she had never completed. Lois lost her husband after only 16 years of marriage, when he died in 1950, leaving her with 3 children, from 11 to 14 years old. She was devastated by his death, but continued to work and manage her family as best she could. She suffered from heart disease and peripheral vascular disease as she grew older, losing her left leg to amputation due to a blood clot. She reluctantly en- tered a nursing home, being unable to stay at home and get the care needed. She died at Clarksville Memorial Hospital in 1975 and is buried beside her husband in Greenwood Cemetery in Clarksville.
Notes for JAMES BEDFORD MANSELL:Salty, as he was known in adulthood in Clarksville, Tn., was born in Monterey, Tenn., later moving to Lewisburg, as his father sought work as a sharecropper and handle mill worker.His mother died when he was very young, and he had two step-mothers,the first one died, the other was living at his death.
ii. HERMOINE MARTIN, b. March 07, 1909, Clarksville, Montgomery County, Tenn.; d. May 11, 1980, Clarksville, Montgomery County, Tenn..
Notes for HERMOINE MARTIN:
iii. ZARTHAN MARTIN, b. June 22, 1917, Clarksville, Montgomery County, Tenn.; d. August 03, 1983, Clarksville, Montgomery County, Tenn.; m. LINDA LAYNE.
Notes for ZARTHAN MARTIN:Zarthan, was known as Mop, because of his thick curly hair. He graduated from Clarksville High School where he had played football along with his academic studies. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II. He worked for many
iv. CECIL MARTIN, b. July 10, 1913, Clarksville, Montgomery County, Tenn.; d. May 1965, Kentucky Lake, Paris, Tn.; m. ELEANOR CHERRY.
Notes for CECIL MARTIN:Cecil was born and raised in Clarksville. He married Eleanor Cherry and they never had any children. He worked for many years at Fort Campbell, Ky. in
v. RAMONA MARTIN, b. July 24, 1929; m. RAYMOND SEAY, November 21, 1951, Clarksville, Montgomery County, Tenn.; b. February 09, 1931.
10. WILLAM LEE9 BALTHROP (WILLIAM HENRY8, WILLIAM HENRY7, JOHN CHRISTIAN6, FRANCIS5, WILLIAM4, JOHN3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born October 1889, and died September 1959. He married JANIE WATTS.
Notes for WILLAM LEE BALTHROP:
Lee and his brother, Hart, operated a truck stop at Pleasant View in Robertson Co. for many years.
Children of WILLAM BALTHROP and JANIE WATTS are:
i. HARRY10 BALTHROP.
ii. MILDRED BALTHROP.
iii. MARCIA JEAN BALTHROP.
iv. WM. LOWELL BALTHROP.
Notes for WM. LOWELL BALTHROP:
This child at 14 mo. old
v. ROBERT WALTON BALTHROP.
vi. HAROLD PRESTON BALTHROP.
11. JOHN PETTY9 BALTHROP (WILLIAM HENRY8, WILLIAM HENRY7, JOHN CHRISTIAN6, FRANCIS5, WILLIAM4, JOHN3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born April 1891, and died June 1970. He married (1) PEARL. She was born 1895. He married (2) THELMA. She was born 1921, and died 1990.
Notes for JOHN PETTY BALTHROP:
John Petty Balthrop was Chief of Police of Clarksville, Tennessee in the 1940's and 1950's.
Children of JOHN BALTHROP and PEARL are:
i. JOHN DARTHAN10 BALTHROP, b. 1915.
ii. RAY BALTHROP, b. 1922.
iii. CARLTON BALTHROP, b. 1924.
iv. BETTY BALTHROP, b. 1930.
Child of JOHN BALTHROP and THELMA is:
v. DANA10 BALTHROP, b. 1940.
12. GUS HENRY9 BALTHROP (WILLIAM HENRY8, WILLIAM HENRY7, JOHN CHRISTIAN6, FRANCIS5, WILLIAM4, JOHN3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born January 1894, and died October 1974.
Children of GUS HENRY BALTHROP are:
i. POLLY10 BALTHROP, b. Abt. 1925.
ii. DOLLY BALTHROP, b. Abt. 1925.
iii. ROBERT BALTHROP, b. Abt. 1930.
13. DEWEY MCMILLION9 BALTHROP (WILLIAM HENRY8, WILLIAM HENRY7, JOHN CHRISTIAN6, FRANCIS5, WILLIAM4, JOHN3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born November 1898, and died January 1972. He married ANNIE MARION SUITER. She died 1899.
Notes for DEWEY MCMILLION BALTHROP:
Dewey operated a grocery store on Greenwood Ave. in Clarksville, Tn. for many years.
Children of DEWEY BALTHROP and ANNIE SUITER are:
i. MILTON EUGENE (AKA MICKEY)10 BALTHROP.
ii. CECIL VICTOR (AKA BUBBA) BALTHROP.
Notes for CECIL VICTOR (AKA BUBBA) BALTHROP:
Bubba drowned in Ky. Lake at Paris Landing about 1954. He was named after Cecil Victor Martin, his cousin.
iii. CYNTHIA BALTHROP.
14. LUCY MARGARET9 BALTHROP (WILLIAM HENRY8, WILLIAM HENRY7, JOHN CHRISTIAN6, FRANCIS5, WILLIAM4, JOHN3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born 1904. She married ARCUE MANNING.
Notes for LUCY MARGARET BALTHROP:
Maggie, as she was called, lived in Missouri, possibly St. Louis area, most of her married life.
Child of LUCY BALTHROP and ARCUE MANNING is:
i. GLORIA10 MANNING.
Return to the Montgomery