FAMILY HISTORIES OF
PERSONS BURIED AT
1. Born in England, Samuel came with his widowed mother as a mere lad
to Indiana where he apprenticed himself to a marble sculptor there.
2. In 1852 he came to Cíville where he started small sculpting tombstones.
3. Soon his business grew to occupy the lot fronting Second Street between Frankiln and Legion Streets.
4. He imported his marble from Carrara, Italy, and his granite from Aberdeen and Glasgow, Scotland
5. He chiseled the majority of the older statues you view today, both in Greenwood and Riverview.
5. Not only did Mr. Hodgson chisel, but also he built buildings, one of which stands today on NE corner of 2nd & Legion.
Information used on the Greenwood Historic Tour of 2001. Site location information may be found on the Greenwood Cemetery site.
Submitted by Randall Rubel e-mail: RRUBEL@peoplepc.com
Return to the Montgomery County