If you have an obituary for a member of your Montgomery County family that you would like to contribute, please e-mail me and tell me a little about them. All persons with Montgomery County roots are welcome and encouraged to submit their records. The only restriction is that the person listed in the obituary must have lived in Montgomery County at one time. Be sure to include your e-mail address. All entries are listed in groups by submitters and followed by the e-mail address of the submitter. Thank you for your willingness to help make the Montgomery County pages a valuable asset for online research.


LIST OF OBITUARIES ON THIS PAGE-  Not in alphabetical order

E. W. Cunningham

Mrs. Harriett Cunningham

Hugh Cunningham

Dolly Cunningham

G. T. Cunningham

Mrs. Frankie M. Cunningham

Mattie Dorothy Young Cunningham

Thomas S. M. Cunningham

James M. Morrow, Sr

Mamie Looney

Angelo Logan

Mary Logan

Joseph Burn Morrow

Earl Jerome Morrow

John Mason Morrow

Infant daughter Campbell

Floyd Campbell

Mr. and Mrs. S. B. Thornton

Cordelia L. Hnedricks

Ollie M. Mackens

Mary Elmer Hendricks Crockett

Henry Marklin

Andrew Davis

William Adkins

Mary A. Davis





From Clarksville Weekly Chronicle.   31 Jul 1869, p. 3.

EW Cunningham DIED At his late residence, in Dickson county, on the 18th inst., of consumption, Dr. E.W. CUNNINGHAM, aged 51 years.

18th inst would normally mean he died in July (instant means same month) but he was “dec’d” in a deed dated 1 Jul 1869.  Elijah died 18 JUN 1869, not July. I would suppose that this is a reprint of an earlier obituary (which was common) although I couldn’t find one.

Enumerated 1860 in Clarksville.

NOTE:  The tombstone for  E.W. Cunningham  says he died 18 JULY 1869 so I am guessing that is why so many have that
date listed.  Maybe the wrong date was listed on the deed I found.

Mrs. Harriet Cunningham

From Daily Tobacco Leaf-Chronicle. Wednesday, 11 October 1893, p. 4.Clarksville, Tennessee

Mrs. Harriet Cunningham Peacefully Passes Away. Mrs. Harriet M. Cunningham, after a long illness, died at her residence on Franklin street last evening about 3 o’clock.  The deceased was about 62 years of age and her life had been one of usefulness.  She was born May 20, 1831, her maiden name being Talley.  December 18, 1849, she was married to Dr. E. W. Cunningham, of Dickson county. Her husband died twenty years after the marriage, leaving his wife with the care of a large family of children, and an estate to manage.  She proved herself equal to the task and was successful in rearing her eight boys and one girl to be good citizens, respected and honored by all who know them. Some of her sons came to Clarksville and embarked in business, and she followed them here a few years ago.  During her residence here she has impressed all who met her with her excellent qualities. She was a christian woman, being a consistent member of the Methodist church.  Through her illness she bore up with christian fortitude, and her death was one of peace.  The stricken family will have the deep sympathy of the public in their bereavement. The funeral services were conducted this afternoon at 2:30 o’clock, at the Methodist church, her paster, Rev. P. A. Sowell officiating. The remains were laid to rest in the family plat at Greenwood.

From Clarksville Leaf-Chronicle.  Monday, 11 July 1938, p. 1.

Prominent Dickson County Man Buried Today

Funeral services for Hugh Cunningham, 78-year-old prominent retired farmer and landowner in District no. 8 of Dickson County, who died Sunday, were to be conducted at 4 o’clock this afternoon from Cumberland Furnace Episcopal Church by the Rev. Florence of Nashville.  Burial will be in Greenwood cemetery here. Active pallbearers will be Bud Lee, James Proctor, Hubert Starks, Bob Harris, Bob Stone, Paul Plummer, Hubert Morrison, Clyde Smith with friends and neighbors serving as honorary pallbearers. Mr. Cunningham’s death at 1:45a.m. was not unexpected.  He had been ill for a number of months of senile infirmities. Although a lifelong resident of Dickson County, Mr. Cunningham was widely known in Montgomery County.  He was an uncle of E.C., Frank and Judge JohnT. Cunningham. A descendant of one of the pioneer families of this section, Mr. Cunningham was a son of the late Dr. Elijah Cunningham and Mrs. Harriett Talley Cunningham.  He was born on April 17, 1860, in the same community in which he spent his entire life. Mr. Cunningham was married in 1886 to Miss Cora Lee Eleazor, who died about fifteen years ago. Surviving are two sons, Dr. Will Cunningham, of Cumberland Furnace, and Hugh Cunningham, Jr., of Centerville,Tenn,; five daughters, Miss Cora Cunningham, Mrs. Harriett Dillard and Mrs. B. G. Ferebee, all of Cumberland Furnace; and Mrs. Inez Lyle and Mrs. W. M. Trinkle, both of Clarksville, and one brother, J. N. Cunningham, of Evanston, Illinois.

enumerated 1860 Clarksville

Dolly Cunningham

Mr. H. D. Cunningham Loses His Little Daughter
Tuesday’s Daily  

Dolly, the pretty little child of H. D. Cunningham, of the Eighth district of Dickson county, died yesterday morning in her sixth year. She was an unusually pretty little girl, with sweet, winsome ways, and was the pet of all who knew her.Her father is a brother of Newell Cunningham, of this city.The burial will take place this afternoon at 4 o’clock at the family burying ground, near Cumberland Furnace, with services at the house.

From Semi-Weekly Tobacco Leaf (Clarksville) Fri, 11 Mar 1898, a reprintof 8 Mar 1898.  Died 7Mar 1898, burial 8 March1898.
(Funeral arrangements by McReynolds of Clarksville.  James Newell Cunningham of Clarksville arranged for them and because of that, some people think she was James' daughter-see McReynolds transcriptions people have done.  I have seen the microfilm of the record and I can see how one would think that if they didn't have more information ie census, obit, etc.)

From the  Clarksville Leaf Chronicle. 11 May 1917, p.1.

Former Clarksville Man Called Away Suddenly at His Home.

News was received here this morning of the sudden death yesterday of G.T. Cunningham, aged 62, at his home in Chicago,Ill. Mr. Cunningham was formerly a resident of Clarksville, having been a member of the firm of Cunningham Bros. but has been in Chicago engaged in the real estate business for the past twenty years.  The body will be brought to Clarksville, for burial arriving here tomorrow morning over the L & N Railroad.  The funeral will not take place until Sunday,awaiting the arrival of his only surviving child, Mrs. Sara[h] Shepherd, of Orange,Texas, who will get here Saturday night.  The complete funeral arrangements will be announced tomorrow. Mr. Cunningham was an uncle of J.T. and E.C. Cunningham of this city.  Besides his daughter, Mrs.Sarah Shepherd, he is survived by four brothers, Robert of Allensville, KY,J.N. of Chicago, Ill.,H.D. and Marshall of Cumberland City, and a sister, Mrs. White of Waverly,Tennessee.   

From the Clarksville Leaf Chronicle.  14 May1917, p.5.
Many Friends Attend Funeral Sunday Afternoon—ImpressiveService.
The funeral of Mr. G.T. Cunningham was largely attended at the home of W.B. Dunlop, Jr., Sunday afternoon at 2:30 o’clock.  Dr.Charles E. Diehl was the officiating minister, the service consisting of a number of touching hymns, the reading of Scripture and a prayer.  A large delegation from the membership of Cumberland Lodge, Knight of Pythias, was present to pay a last tribute to a departed brother.  Many lovely floral pieces were sent by sorrowing friends. It required many automobile to convey the large number of persons who accompanied the body to Greenwood Cemetery, the last resting place of a good and true man, whose passing is cause for genuine grief to scores of relatives and friends here. The death of Mr. Cunningham is also deeply deplored by many warm friends in the city of Chicago,his adopted home. The following persons from out-of-town were present at the funeral:  Mrs. Will Shephard and two children, of Orange, Texas;J. N. Cunningham and Miss Lucht, of Chicago;Mr. and Mrs. Marshall Cunningham, Mr. and Mrs Hugh Cunningham and Dr.Cunningham, of Dickson County; Mr. and Mrs. Robert Cunningham and daughter,Mabel, of Allensville; Mrs. E.W. Cunningham, Sr., and mothers, Mrs. Abernathy,Mr. and Mrs. E.W. Cunningham Jr., of Peacher Mill.  Notes:

From Clarksville Semi-Weekly Tobacco Leaf.  Tuesday, 2 August 1887, p. 1.

Death of Mrs. G. T. Cunningham.

The LEAF has chronicled few deaths that excited greater sympathy in the community than that of Mrs. Frankie McKee Cunningham, the wife of G. T. Cunningham, of this city, to whom the summons came Sunday evening about 7 o’clock.  Mrs. Cunningham was called to suffer much the last few months of her life and for a week it seemed the vital spark would go out at almost any moment. Her death is peculiarly a sad one—young, with a devoted husband to anticipate her wants, her first babe at her breast and with loving and tender friends, life seemed to hold much in store for her, and there were many reasons why she should live.  Her death is an inscrutable act of that providence which watches even a sparrow in its fall. Mrs. Cunningham was twenty-six years old.  All her life had been spent in Clarksville, and here she was known and loved for her true worth.  She was a member of the Presbyterian church, and truly a christian woman.  Yesterdayafternoon her remains were laid to rest in Greenwood, after services at the home by her pastor, Dr. Lupton.

Clarksville Leaf-Chronicle10 February 1916, p.1.

Conducted at 2 O’clock This Afternoon From Home of His Nephew

The body of Mr. E. W. Cunningham, who died suddenly at the home of his brother, Marshall Cunningham, in Dickson County Wednesday, arrived here last night, and was taken to the undertaking establishment of Gossett & Rollow and there prepared for burial. At 9 o’clock this morning the body was removed to the home of Mr. John T. Cunningham on North Second Street, from which place the funeral was conducted at 2 o’clock this afternoon by the Revs. J. J. Stowe and J. W. Cherry in the presence of a large throng of sympathizing friends.  Interment was in Greenwood Cemetery.  The following gentlemen served as pallbearers: John B. Ferguson, A. Brunson, Dr. J. C. Meriwether, H. N. Leech, Arch Howell and N.R. Bardwell.

Cunningham to be buried here Was uncle of CountyJudge—Died in Allensville,Ky. Robert Lee Cunningham of Allensville,Ky. who is an uncle of Judge John T.Cunningham and E.C. Cunningham of this city died Sunday morning at 6:15 o’clock following a six months’ illness. Funeral services were held this afternoon at the Methodist church in Allensville, and the body will arrive in Clarksville about 4:30 for burial in Greenwood cemetery.  The Rev. P.P. Napier pastor of the church there will conduct the services at the church and will be assisted at the grave by the Rev. Willard H. Blue, pastor of the Madison Street MethodistChurch.  Burial will be in the Greenwood cemetery. A son of the late Dr. Elijah and Mrs. Harriet Talley Cunningham, he was born in Dickson county at Beef Range near Cumberland Furnace on July 16, 1866.  In early manhood he came to Clarksville, where he married Miss Mattie Young on October 17, 1893.  At that time he traveled for the J. Frank Woods and Co. Hardware store.  Later he moved to Adairville,Ky., where he was engaged in the mercantile business.  He then moved to Allensville, where he owned two farms and was an agriculturalist until his death. Survivors are his wife, and one daughter, Mrs. Leonard H. Wall of Allensville, and two grandchildren, Dorothy and Roger Wall, two brothers, H.D. Cunningham of Cumberland Furnace and J.M. Cunningham of Chicago, Ill., and three nephews, John T. and E.C. Cunningham and Dr. W.M. Cunningham of Cumberland Furnace. He was a member of the Methodist church in Allensville.

From Clarksville Leaf-Chronicle, Mon 28 June 1937,p 1.

Allensville Woman Dies, Burial Here
Mrs. Mattie Dorothy Young Cunningham

Mrs. Mattie Dorothy Young Cunningham, aged 71 who had many friends and relatives in Clarksville died Sunday night at 11:05 o’clock at her home in Allensville, Ky.  She was the daughter of the late Col. Thad Young, Clarksville tobacconist, and the late Mrs. Mattie Muir Young.
        Funeral services will be conducted Tuesday afternoon at 10 o’clock from the home in Allensville by the Rev. J.P. VanHoy.  Burial will be in Clarksville in Greenwood Cemetery.  Serving as pallbearers will be Thad and Ross Young, Frank Cunningham, E.C. Cunningham, Judge John T. Cunningham, and E.W. Cunningham.
Born December 16,1870, in Logan County, Mrs. Cunningham had been a resident to Allensville vicinity all her life.  Her husband the late Robert L. Cunningham, preceded her to the grave five years ago. Surviving are one daughter, Mrs. L.H. Wall, Allensville, and one brother, James Young, Guthrie, Ky.
        Mrs. Cunningham was a member of the Allensville Methodist church.  She leaves a large host of friends in Logan and Montgomery Counties who were shocked to learn of her death.

From Clarksville Leaf Chronicle, Mon 22 Jun 1942, p 1.  Note:  She was really born in 1869, seeing as shewas 6 months old on the 1870 census and 10 on the 1880 census.

From Daily Tobacco Leaf-Chronicle, Wednesday 26 April 1893, p. 4.Clarksville, Tennessee

The Chore of Death
Thos. M. Cunningham
breathes his last about noon.
The Sad Ending
of What Promised
To Be a Life of
Much Usefulness

Thos. S. M. Cunningham died at the residence of his mother, Mrs. Harriet Cunningham, on Franklin Street, to-day shortly after 12 o’clock, age dalmost 24 years.  This news will bring sorrow to a very large number of the people of Clarksville, for the deceased was universally popular. While the death had been expected for several days, it is nevertheless a sad shock to the members of the family.  They had been watching by his side since his return from Texas, knowing that it was only a (?) of time about his death. The malady was consumption, a disease relentless in its grasp, and they saw that it was slowly, but surely sapping his life.  For several days after his return from Texas he seemed to be doing well, but a few days ago he began sinking and this morning, early, the members of the family were summoned to his side by the intelligence that he was sinking very rapidly. He never rallied from this relapse, dying at the hour named above. Thos. S. M. Cunningham was born and reared to almost manhood in Dickson county.  A few years ago he came to Clarksville and accepted a position with Askew & Edwards, who then occupied the old S. B. Stewart drugstand.  He applied himself diligently to his work and after a time went to Philadelphia, where he took a full course in pharmacy. Returning to Clarksville, he entered into a partnership with Jesse Ellis and purchased the Askew & Edwards stock of drugs.  Cunningham & Ellis was the style of the new firm, and they did an excellent business.  Mr. Cunningham’s health failed, however and he was forced to retire form business on this account.  He sold his interest in the business to J. S.Perkins and left at once for San Antonio, hoping that a milder climate would restore him to health.  There was nodesirable change in his condition, and about a month ago he was brought home, worse possible than he was when he left. His decline and demise followed as stated above. There have been very few young men who have made a better impression on the people of Clarksville than did Thos. Cunningham.  He was at all times prompt in business matters, popular in the social realm and could be relied on to carry his part in any good work that was proposed whether of a public or a benevolent character.  He was an exemplary young man in every respect and his death has created general sorrow throughout the city. The funeral arrangements have not yet been perfected, and will not be until relatives have been heard from, who will desire to be present.  The interment however, will more than likely be held tomorrow afternoon at Greenwood, with Pythian honors, as the deceased was a member of that organization.

There were at least three more “obituaries” in the paper,this giving the most information.

The above obits submitted by Christie Johnson at



was born 16 Apr 1847 in District #9, Montgomery Co., Tennessee, USA, and died 13 Jun 1918 in (near) Oakwood, Montgomery Co., Tennessee. He married MARY MEDORA ARMSTRONG Abt. 1880, daughter of (UNKNOWN ARMSTRONG and ANGELINA GIBBS. She was born Jul 1861 in Tennessee, USA, and died Bef. 1918.


Burial: 14 Jun 1918, McGee Cemetery, Oakwood, Stewart Co.,Tennessee
Son of Randall R Morrow and Harriet Tyre.

Obituary: 13 Jun 1918, Clarksville Leaf Chronicle, Clarksville, Tennessee (Source: "Newspaper," page 4,)
J M Morrow, 71 years of age, passed away this morning at 4 o'clock at his home near Oakwood, of paralysis. He was born April 19, 1847, in District No. 9 of Montgomery County. He is survived by ten children, and was a member of the Christian Church. The funeral will be conducted tomorrow morning at 11 o'clock from this church at Oakwood, with services by the Rev. F P Taylor. Interment at McGehee burial ground.


was born 01 Jan 1917 in Clarksville, Montgomery Co., Tennessee, USA, and died 22 Jan 1985 in Clarksville, Montgomery Co., Tennessee. He married (1) NELLA MAE MEADOR, daughter of CARTER MEADOR and SARAH WILSON. She was born 21 Jul 1921 in Kentucky, USA. (divorced) He married (2) IRENE EADS. 

Burial: 28 Jan 1985, Dotsonville Church of Christ Cemetery, Dotsonville,Tennessee
Son of John Manson Morrow and Marjore Acree
Grandson of James M Morrow and Mary Medora Armstrong
Great-grandson of Randle R Morrow and Harriet Tyre

Newspaper article: 23 Jan 1985, Clarksville Leaf Chronicle (Source: "Newspaper," page 1)
MAN FREEZES TO DEATH - A 69 year old Clarksville man apparently froze to death in his home after his portable heat fell over, causing it to shut off. Clarksville Police spokesman Ted Denny said Joseph Morrow of 1651 1/2 Fort Campbell Boulevard was found dead in his home at about 7:45 p.m.

Obituary: 25 Jan 1985, Clarksville Leaf Chronicle (Source: "Newspaper," page 13A)
Joseph B Morrow, 68, 1659 1/2 Fort Campbell Blvd, died of exposure at his home Tuesday. The funeral will be at 1 p.m. Monday at Tarpley's Chapel with the Rev Joe Kanipe officiating. Burial will be at Dotsonville Church of Christ Cemetery. Visitation will be after 1 p.m. Sunday. Morrow was born in Montgomery County on Jan. 1, 1917, the son of James M. and Marjorie Acree Morrow. He was a retired carpenter. Survivors include his wife, Irene Eads Morrow, Clarksville; three daughters, Betty June Hart and Linda Brisson, St. Pauls, N. C. and Rosemare Donnally, Fayetteville, N. C.; one stepson, Ray Rose, Louisville, Ky.; two stepdaughters, Nancy Smith and Mildren Beard, Clarksville; one brother, James A. Morrow, Hopkinsville, Ky.; two sisters, Pauline Martin, Clarksville, and Annie Hodge, Hopkinsville; 26 grandchildren and five great-grandchildren


was born 01 Aug 1906 in Montgomery Co., Tennessee, USA, and died 26 Sep 1967 in Cunningham, Montgomery Co., Tennessee. He married LOUISE JONES 21 Jul 1940. She died Aft. 1967.

Burial: 28 Sep 1967, Dotsonville Church of Christ Cemetery, Tennessee
Son of John Manson Morrow and Marjoree Acree
Grandson of James M Morrow and Mary Medora Armstrong
Great-grandson of Randle R Morrow and Harriett Tyre

Obituary: 27 Sep 1967, Clarksville Leaf Chronicle, Clarksville, Tennessee (Source: "Newspaper," page 2)
E. J. Morrow, 61, died at 8:00 p.m. Tuesday at his home on Route 1, Cunningham, Tenn., after an extended illness. He was a retired house painter. Funeral services will be conducted Thursday at 3 p.m. at McReynolds Chapel by Charles McDonald, minister. Burial will be in Dotsonville Church of Christ Cemetery. Mr. Morrow was born August 1, 1906 in Montgomery County, son of the late John Manson Marrow and Margie Acree Morrow.   Survivors include his widow, Mrs. Louise Jones Morrow, to whom he was married July 21, 1940; two sons, Richard E. and Jerry Lee Morrow, Clarkesville; two daughters, Mrs. Margie Madden and Miss Carolyn Ann Morrow, both of Clarksville; four brothers, Floyd, Akron, Ohio; Roy, Hopkinsville, Ky.; James, Detroit, Mich., and Joe Morrow, Clarksville; two sisters, Mrs. Brad Martin, Clarksville, and Mrs. George Hodge, Newstead, Ky. Two grandchildren.  He was a member of the Church of Christ.


was born 07 Dec 1902 in Montgomery Co., Tennessee, USA, and died 18 Feb 1964 in Route #5, Clarksville, Tennessee. He married CATHERINE HAYNES. She was born 16 Feb 1907, and died Jul 1978.

Burial: Dotsonville Church of Christ Cemetery, Tennessee
Son of John Manson Morrow and Marjoree Acree
Grandson of James M Morrow and Mary Medora Armstrong
Great-grandson of Randle R Morrow and Harriet Tyre
Military service: United States Army, PFC, Btry 76 field arty, World War I

Obituary: 18 Feb 1964, Clarksville Leaf Chronicle, Clarksville, Tennessee (Source: "Newspaper," page 2) 
John Manson Morrow, 60, retired carpenter, of Route 5, Clarksville, died of a sudden illness this morning at his home at 9:30 a.m. Funeral arrangements are incomplete. The body will be at McReynolds Funeral Home.He was born in Montgomery County December 7, 1902, son of the late John M. and Margie Acree Morrow.Survivors are his widow, Mrs. Catherine Haynes Morrow; two sons, Paul D. Route 5, and Ed H. Morrow, Hopkinsville, Ky., three daughters, Mrs. R. E. Flohr, Bemidji, Minn.; Mrs. C. L. Flannery, Brooklyn, N.Y., and Mrs. John E. Williamson, Okinawa; five brothers, Roy, Hopkinsville; Earl, and Joe, Clarksville; James, Detroit and Floyd Morrow, Akron, Ohio; 12 grandchildren. He was a member of the Church of Christ, and a veteran of World War I.

Submitted by Jan Hart, Fayetteville, North Carolina e-mail:


John Morrow was my great-grandfather, although he died long before I was born.  I wanted to let you know that some of the information is incorrect...
The web states that he married Catherine Haynes, which is correct.  But, Catherine (my great-grandmother) was actually born on August 18, 1907 and died just this week on February 18, 2008.  She was 100 years old.  Also, the original obituary had an incorrect spelling of my paternal grandparents, which should be "Flanery" and not "Flannery."
The following is Catherine (Haynes) Morrow's obituary:

Catherine Morrow, 100,
Sterling Drive, died at 2:30 p.m. Monday, Feb. 18, 2008, at Christian Health Center of natural causes.

Graveside services will be at
3 p.m. Saturday at the Dotsonville Church of Christ Cemetery with the Rev. James O. Hazelrigg officiating. Visitation will be Saturday from noon until 2 p.m. at Hughart and Beard Funeral Home, Hopkinsville.

A native of Dotsonville, she was born
Aug. 18, 1907, the daughter of the late Edwin David and Sarah Moore Haynes.

She was retired from Civil Service at
Fort Campbell where she had worked as a seamstress.

She was a member of the Dotsonville Church of Christ.

Her husband, John Manson Morrow, died in 1962. A son, Paul Morrow, also preceded her in death.

Survivors include a son, Haynes Morrow, Hopkinsville; three daughters, Catherine Flanery and Mary Flohr, both of San Antonio, Texas, and Jeanette Morrow, several grandchildren, great-grandchildren and great-great-grandchildren.

Submitted by  Jennifer Prochazka -Email:


Death of a Child             

The daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J.W. Campbell died yesterday, at 12:30 o'clock, of brain trouble. The funeral was held this afternoon at 2 o'clock at the home of her parents and remains were interred in Greenwood Cemetery.


Submitted by Mary Kirby   e-mail:


 Floyd Campbell


Floyd Campbell, the thirteen months old daughter of J.W. Campbell, died at her home at 134 Stafford street,at 7 o'clock this morning of summer complaint. The remains will be shipped to Russellville for interment tomorrow morning.

Submitted by Mary Kirby   e-mail:


Following a six-month illness of complications, Stephen Bellifield (Ben) Thornton, 67 years of age, for the past 20 years engineer at the city waterworks, died at 3:20 a.m. today.

Services in memory of Mr. Thornton will be conducted at 2 p.m. Tuesday from the McReynolds chapel and burial will be in Greenwood Cemetery. Pallbearers will be W. H. Dean, Ira Welker, T. B. Foust, James G. Holleman, Will Hanley, W. E. Beach, E. E. Mason, and Thomas Edmondson.

Mr. Thornton was born in Hickman County, near Centerville, in March of 1867.  He was married to Miss Emma Easley, woh preceded him in death 19 years ago. He is survived by two daughters, Miss Tommie Thornton of this city, and Mrs. W. E. Burns of Little Rock, AR, and four grandchildren.  Also surviving are six brothers, P. B., John V., Brandt, Herbert, Louis, and James Thornton of Hickman County.

He moved to Clarksville in 1907 and had been employed for 20 years as engineer at the city waterworks.  He was a devoted member of the Church of Christ.  Mr. Thornton made many friends by his pleasing and cheerful disposition. Possessed of a quiet, unassuming nature, he easily made friends.  He enjoyed being of service to others and was particularly devoted to his daughters.

Clarksville Leaf-Chronicle, Monday, September 23, 1935, page 1.



Mrs. Emma Thornton, wife of Mr. S. B. Thornton, died suddenly of heart failure Saturday evening at 7:30, at her home on College Street.  Mrs. Thornton was formerly Miss Emma Easley, and was born in Hickman, KY, firty-six years ago.  For the past seven years she had been a resident of Clarksville, and during that time she had endeared herself to a large circle of friends.  She was a member of the Christian Church.
Her husband and two children survive her, Miss Tommie Thornton, of this place, and a married daughter in Memphis.  The funeral was conducted at 3 o'clock this afternoon from the residence, burial in Greenwood Cemetery, Clarksville.

Daily Leaf-Chronicle, April 17, 1916, page 5.

Submitted by Pat McNeely





Leaf-Chronicle Newspaper, Clarksville, TN, dated

March 3, 1939, page 1 which states: [typed as written]

'Mamie' Looney, Beloved Colored 'Mammy,' Buried This Afternoon


Frances Looney, 70-year-old Negro "Mammy," known to her many white friends as "Mamie Bailey," died at 1 :40 o'clock Thursday afternoon at the home of Mr. And Mrs. W. W. Maclaughlin on Madison Street, of

pneumonia which developed Wednesday night after a ten day illness. Although "Mamie" had been almost blind for about five years and ill of diabetes, she had never given up or been confined to her bed until the last ten days, and the past Sunday was the first time she had failed to attend church services for twenty-five years. She was a member oft he Poston street Church of God.

"Mamie" had been living in the family of Mrs. Maclaughlin and Miss Jesse Bailey for 63 years, at the age of six being given to their parents, Mr. And Mrs. Jesse Bailey by her parents, Neal and Peter  Looney. They lived on the farm of Mrs. Bailey's father, Dr. Peter Looney, near Paris, Tenn., where Mamie was born April 14, 1869.

"Mamie's" parents and grandparents had been slaves of the Looney family and always continued to live with the family. Mamie resided with the Bailey family and continued to live with Mr. And Mrs. Maclaughlin and family, as nurse and companion for the children and the neighbor children of Madison street, by whom she was loved and respected. .

"Mamie" was never married and was the last member of her family. She was a consistent member and

attended services at Madison Street Methodist Church until 25 years ago when she joined the colored Church of God of which she was an active member even after she was almost blind and in ill health.


 Funeral services were held at the Poston street church at 2 o'clock this afternoon by the pastor, Rev. C. R. .

Hooten, followed by interment in the Bailey family cemetery, three miles off the old Nashville pike, which is the family cemetery of Mrs. Maclaughlin and Miss Bailey, who now lives in Philadelphia. The choir of the church sang at the church and grave.

Submitted by Talley Bailey


Clarksville Leaf Chronicle Date January 18,1905 page 1


Angelo Logan Dies on the Isthmus

Went to Panama to Accept A Government Position on the Canal.

Was stricken with fever, which has proven so fatal in that climate-remains Interred there.

Relatives in this county have received notice of the death of Angelo Logan, which occured several weeks ago on the Isthmus of Panama, where he was in the employ of the Government on the Panama Canal. Mr Logan was well know throughout Montgomery County.  He formerly lived in Clarksville, where he worked at his trade, a stone cutter.  He removed to a small farm in the Thirteenth District about twenty years ago, where he lived up to the time of his departure for Panama some time last summer. He leaves three children who reside in this county.  They are Angelo, Jennie and Ollie Logan.  The remains were interred on the Isthmus.



Semi Weekly Tabacco Leaf 3-11-1884 pg1


Mary Logan

The wife of Mr. A.Logan, formerly a stone cutter, working for Mr Hodgson in this city, died at her home near Steeles, in the county last Wednesday after a lingering illness.



Clarksville Leaf Chronicle 8-5-1949 pg1


Cordelia Lewis Hendricks

Mrs. Hendrix Dies, Rites To Be On Saturday

Funeral services for Mrs. Cordelia Hendrix, 84, will be held Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock at Mt Zion Church. The Rev TY Yeargin will officiate and burial will be in Mt Zion cemetery.  Wiseman will have charge.  Mrs Hendrix died Thurday night at the home in Pleasant View Community after a long illness.  She was born Dec. 25,1865 and was a lifelong resident of Montgomery County.  She was a daughter of the late George and Froni Craig Lewis. In 1896 she was married to James Hendix of Slayden: a daughter Mrs. Elmer Corckett, Cunningham: three brothers, Ellis and Charles Lewis,Dickson and Thomas Lewis, Clarksville: a sister, Mrs Annie Rye, Nashville: seven grandchildren and 17 great grandchildren.  She was a menber of the Pleasant View Church.



Clarksville Star 3-9-1934 pg6


Ollie Mae Mackens

Mrs. Roy Mackens of Marion Dies

Funeral services for Mrs. Ollie Mae Mackens, 21, wife of Roy Mackens, who died at her home near Marion, on Thursday were held at the Pleasant View Church Friday. Mrs. Mackens was a member of the Cumerland Presbyterian Church and was organist at Pleasant View.  She is survived by her father, Thomas Logan of near Marion; three sisters and four brothers.



Mary Elmer Hendricks Crockett

Mrs Mary E Hendricks Crockett,75, died in Montgomery Co Nursing Home Wednesday after a three month illness.  She was a resident of Cumberland Furnance, Route 2.  Funeral services will be conducted at 2 pm Friday at Naves Clarksville Chapel by Re Clinton Green. Burial will be in Mt Zion Cemetery.  Mrs Crockett was born in Hickman Co. Nov 8, 1889, daugher of the late Jime and Cordelia Lewis Hendricks.  Her husband, J T Crockett died in 1943.  She was a member of the Gum Springs Baptist Church.  Surviors are half brother Alexander Logan, Charlotte, three neices and two nephews.


Submitted by






Mr. Henry Marklin Died Yesterday at the Home of his Daughter


Henry E. Marklin died Thursday at the home of his daughter, Mrs.Minnie Byard, near Hackberry, at the age of 78 years.  He is survived by five sons. John, Ben, George, Charles and Ed. Marklin and two daughters Mrs. Mary Davis and Mrs. Byard.  He was a helf brother of W. M. Orrell of the city.  The remains will arrive in city this evening and the funeral will be conducted at 10 o'clock Saturday morning at Greenwood Cemetery by Rev. W. H. McLeakey.  He became a member of the Methodist Church many

yhears ago and was a consistent Christian.  He had been a resident of Montgomery county for many years.


Submitted by Ray Adkins at




Andrew Davis, one of the oldest citizens of the Lone Oak neighborhood, died Saturday afternoon at 3 o'clock of diseases incident to old age.  He was 80 years old and had lived in that community many years, where he was well known and respected.  He leaves six children, all grown.  The funeral took place this morning.  The interment was at the Davis burying ground with services at the grave.


Submitted by Ray Adkins at






William Adkins, father of W. J. Adkins, the well-known tobacconist of this city, died at his home near Hickory Point last night; after a short illness.  He was past 80 years old and was one of Montgomery County’s oldest and most respected citizens.  He leaves a number of grown children.


The burial will take place tomorrow afternoon at 2 o’clock at the Davidson graveyard.


Submitted by Ray Adkins at





Died 4-04-1902


Mrs. Mary A. Davis, wife of Andrew Davis, of Lone Oak, died yesterdya, after a lingering illness of consumption.  The funeral was held this morning at 10 o'clock, and interment was in the Davis burying ground.


Clarksville Leaf -Chronicle 4-05-1902


Submitted by Ray Adkins



Clarksville Weekly Chronicle (20 Jan. 1883 p.1)

GHOLSON: Co. Milton G. Born in Cumberland County, KY Age 69 yrs. Died 18 Jan. 1883, of Bright’s disease, at the home of his son-in-law, John S. Neblett, in South Clarksville,  Came from Virginia.  Former resident on the South Side.  A Confederate soldier. Served in 14th Inf.  Upon his return to TN, commissioned to Brig. Gen., by Gove Harris.  Twice married:  first, to Miss Maria Louisa Rogers, daughter of Dr. A.M. Rogers.  Second to Miss Vance.  Reared a large family and survived by two daughters and one son.  Interment at family burying ground, near his former residence. On the South Side.


     Semi-Weekly Tobacco Leaf.  (25 Sept. 1883  p.1)

GHOLSON:  Miss Sallie.  Died 22 Sept. 1883, of co0nsumption, at the home of her sister, Mrs. John S. Neblett.  Daughter of the late Col. M.G. Gholson. Episcopal. Interment at family burying ground, on the South Side.


        Clarksville Weekly Chronicle  (4 May 1878)

GHOLSON:  At the residence of her husband, in this county, April 21, 1878, Mrs. Margaret Gholson, wife of Col. M.G. Gholson, aged 59 years.


     Clarksville Weekly Chronicle (22 Dec. 1883 p.3)

NEBLETT:  Mrs. Pattie E. Age 34 years, Born on 6 Dec. 1849. Died 17 Dec. 1883, of consumption, near the city. On Paradise Hill Rd.  Daughter of Col. M.G. Gholson. Next to last of a large family.  Third in family to die this year. Episcopal.  Wife of County Trustee, John S. Neblett. Leaves on Child.  Interment at Gholson Cemetery, in Dist. #13.


       Clarksville Weekly Chronicle (8 Oct. 1881  p. 3)

MARABLE, Mrs. John H.  Age 33 years.  Died 2 Oct. 1881, of flux, at the home of her father, Col. M.G. Gholson, on the South Side.  Episcopal. Maiden name was Miss Lula Gholson.  Leaves several children, one age three months.  Interment in family burying ground, on father’s place.


       Clarksville Leaf Chronicle (23 Feb. 1911 p.1)

MARABLE: John H. Died ca. 23 Feb. 1911, at the apartment of his son, Douglas Marable, in the Macrae Bldg., on Second St., of pneumonia.  Age 65.  Born and reared near Marable’s Crossing in Dist. #19.  For number of years a Montgomery County Surveyor and City Engineer.  Married Miss Lula Gholson, aunt of Hon. Alex. Gholson and Dr. John Gholson.  Leaves two sons, Douglas, and Dr. J.H. Marable and two brothers, Dr. T.H. and Dr. Samuel.  Leaves sisters, Mrs. George Harding, Mrs. B.F. Carter, Mrs. Ed G. Warfield.  Interment at Steel burying ground.


      Clarksville Weekly Chronicle  (14 June 1861 p.3)

Died at the residence of her father, in this county, on the 7th last of Pulmonary consumption, VICTORIA A. daughter of Moses and C.L. Steele in the 24th year of her age. 


       Clarksville Weekly Chronicle (27 Oct. 1877 p.3)

Died in this county on the 21st of consumption, Miss MARY E. STEELE, daughter of the late Moses Steele, aged 30.


     Clarksville Weekly Chronicle ( 25 Sept. 1868  p. 3)

Died in this county, on the 17th, after a protracted illness. MOSES STEELE in the 65th year of his age.


      Clarksville Weekly Chronicle ( 27 Nov. 1869 p. 3)

STEELE: Mrs. Louisa.  Died 25 Nov. 1869, in Macon, GA  Wife of Moses Steele.


      Clarksville Weekly Chronicle ( 6 Nov. 1857 p.2)

NELSON: Robert. Born in Montgomery County, TN. Age 61 years. Died 3 Nov. 1857, at the home of his sister, Mrs. N.L. Poston, in Clarksville, TN. Presbyterian.  Leaves one son and one daughter.


These obituaries were taken from a book at the Tennessee State Library and Archives F444, C6G3 or from actual newspaper articles that have been copied by me Bob Law

Glover Obituaries

Miss Gracie Mae Glover. Age 16 years. Died 1 Feb. 1923 near Oakwood, TN. Survived by her parents,

Mr. and Mrs. W.W. Glover and two brothers. Interment at Hickory Grove. Clarksville Leaf Chronicle,

Feb. 3, 1923, pg. 1


Will W. Glover. Born on 3 May 1872. Age 62 years. Died 9 April 1935 of tuberculosis in Noah Springs,

KY. Survivors include his wife, Mrs. Julia Glover; two sons, Frank and Wesley Glover; three daughters,

Mrs. Maudie Johnson, Misses Martha and Rosa Glover. Son of Mr. and Mrs. John Glover. Interment at

Hickory Grove Cemetery. Clarksville Leaf Chronicle, April, 9, 1935, pg. 1


Mr. D.H. Glover. Died January 30, 1904 of smallpox near Crofton, KY. Daily Tobacco Leaf Chronicle,

January 30, 1904, pg. 2

Ssubmitted by Vicki  Phillips


Dr. John Hartwell Marable, Ist.  Date of death: April 4, 1844, Montgomery County, TN.  "God has taken unto himself another of the sons of man".  The painful necessity of announcing the death of Doctor John H. Marable, devolves upon us.  He was born in Brunswick County, VA the 18th of November, 1781.  He moved to TN about the year 1807, and first settled in Davidson County, where he remained till after he was married to the daughter of Mr. Thomas Watson, in the year 1809.  Shortly after his marriage, he removed to Montgomery County, TN and settled on Yellow Creek, his late residence, where he continued many years; endeared to his family by the happy relations which he bore towards them in the character of husband, father, and master.  His death will be deeply regretted by his neighbors, who loved him for the urbanity and kindness of his disposition, in all the various walks of life.  No less was he esteemed by his neighbors and the whole community, for his professional skill as a physician, and his uniform acts of kindness, and generous liberality.  The poor were never permitted to suffer, when his medical services were necessary, because they had no money.
As evidence of the standing which he held in the community, he was called upon by his fellow citizens, and successfully elected to the State Legislature, first to the Representative and afterwards to the Senatorial branch.  After having served several sessions in the Legislature of his adopted state, he abandoned public life and closely and successfully applied himself to the practice of medicine until about the year 1825, when he offered himself a candidate to represent this district in the Congress of the United States, and was elected.  He occupied this situation for two congressional terms, and again retired to private life and the practice of his profession; continuing to administer medicine to the sick, and comfort to the poor within his reach, as long as his health permitted.  Those who were once the friends of Dr. Marable, were always his friends. It is with feelings of the highest satisfaction, that I am authorized to say, that for some few weeks before his death, the Doctor declared his full belief in the religion of the Lord Jesus Christ - that he felt that his sins were forgiven, and that he should occupy a seat in the company with the Blessed Redeemer.  In testimony of this conviction, he called his beloved wife and daughters, all of whom had before acknowledged the beneficent kindness of Almight God, and united themselves to the Methodist E. Church and assured them that he had found favor with God, and expressed his hope of meeting them in heaven.
He died in the bosom of his family, on the 4th of Aprl, 1844, without a struggle, his breath leaving his body as gently as though he was slumbering.
The Rev. Mr. Moore, of the Methodist E. Church, preached the funeral sermon in the presence of a large number of his neighbors, from the 2nd chapter of Titus, 11,12, and 13th verses.  (Dr. Marable is buried in the Marable Cemetery on McFall Rd. in Montgomery County, TN).
-----Transcribed from the Clarksville Chronicle, April 9, 1844, page 3, column 2.

Dr. John Hartwell Marable, II - Date of Death - January 27, 1875
Dr. John Hart Marable, died at his residence near Corbandale, in this county on wednesday, January 27, 1875 of pneumonia.  Dr. Marable lived to the ripe old age of 60 years, a good man and an active useful citizen up to the date of his death.  His influence and usefulness were not confined to his immediate neighborhood.  He was favorably known throughout this and adjoining counties and popular with all classes.  We extend our warmest sympathies to his bereaved family and neighbors, such a man will be missed in any community.  He was an honored member of the masonic fraternity and the Grange organization.  His funeral was attended by these Orders and a large concourse of citizens.  (Transcribed from the Clarksville Tobacco Leaf, Wednesday, Feb. 3, 1875, front page).  Dr. Marable's grave cannot be located. He lived on an estate called "Rosehill" right near the railroad tracks and the Cumberland River. It was called "Marable's Crossing".
John Hartwell Marable, III  (Date of Death - February 23, 1911)
"Death of Well Known Citizen" - Life of Useful Man Ends Unexpectedly - Was one of Clarksville's Most esteemed citizens.
John H. Marable died at 12 O'clock last night at the apartments of his son, Douglas Marable, in the Macrae building on Second Street, after and illness of five days.  Mr. Marable's health had been badly impaired for several years, but he had been able to be up and on the streets most of the time.  Friday, pneumonia developed and he grew rapidly worse, death resulting from congestion of the lungs last night.
He was sixty-five years old and was born and reared near Marable's Crossing in the nineteenth district, and was one of Montgomery County's most active and useful citizens.  For a number of years, he was the County's official surveyor, and in 1892 when the office of city engineer was created, he was elected and filled it for nine years.  Previous to this, he was engaged on the Fort Smith and Little Rock Railroad as a civil engineer. He was a member of the Episcopal Church, and by reason of straigtforward dealings with his fellow man, won many warm friendships which lasted through life.  He is survived by two sons, Douglas, of this city, and Dr. J. H. Marable, of Cowan, TN; two brothers, Dr. T. H. of this city, and Dr. Samuel, of Marable's Crossing, and three sisters, Mrs. George Harding and Mrs. B.F. Carter, of Bellview, TN, and Mrs. Ed. W. Warfield, of Ft. Worth, Texas.
He married Miss Lula Gholson, an aunt of Hon. Alex Gholson and Dr. John Gholson, but she died many years ago and he afterwards resided with his relatives.
The funeral was held at the home of  T.H. Marable on Greenwood Avenue, by Rev. John B. Cannon, at 1 O'Clock this afternoon, after which the body was taken to the Steele Burial Ground on the south side of the river, where it was laid to rest in the presence of a large concourse of friends.
The pallbearers were Newton Byers, William B.Young, George Gilbert, Leon A. Heggie, Charlie Childs, and Dr. M.L. Hughes.  (Transcribed from the Clarksville Leaf-Chronicle, Front page, thursday afternoon, Feb. 23, 1911).  John Hartwell Marable is buried in the Steele Cemetery which is now known as the Gholson Cemetery. He is buried in an unmarked grave along side his wife Lula Gholson Marable and his young son, Earnest Marable.
Dr. John Hartwell Marable, IV - Date of Death - April 6, 1952

 Dr. J. H. Marable, who had practiced medicine at Cowan for 45 years, died sunday morning at Winchester Hospital from a heart attack.  He was 77 years of age.

Funeral services were conducted at 2:30 P.M. tuesday at the graveside in Montgomery Cemetery by the Rev. George Harris, Rector of Trinity Episcopal Church in Winchester.  Military rites were performed at the grave by the veterans of foreign wars and masons.

Dr. Marable was born in Clarksville, son of the late J.H. Marable, III, and Lula Gholson Marable.  He practiced medicine in Hopkinsville, KY and Port Royal, TN before coming to Cowan.

He studied at the University of Tennessee and was graduated from Vanderbilt University School of Medicine in 1898.  He was a veteran of the Spanish-American war and World War 1.  He held the rank of Major during World War 1.

He was awarded his 50 year Masonic pin last week at his bedside in the hospital at Winchester.  He was a member of the Odd Fellows, Woodmen of the World, Knights of Pythias and the Cowan VFW Post.  He was a member of the Franklin County and TN medical associations and was a member of the Episcopal church.

He is survived by his widow, Mrs. Mabel Southall Marable; three sons, John Hartwell Marable, V, Tracy City, TN, Richard D. Marable, Rockmart, GA, and Milton G. Marable, Cowan; six grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.  (Transcribed from the Winchester Herald Times, wednesday, April 9, 1952, front page).



John Hartwell Marable V
- Date of Death - January 11, 1967

 Death Claims John Hartwell Marable, V

John Hartwell Marable, V, long time Grundy County attorney and former State Senator, died early wednesday morning, January 11, at the Veteran's hospital in Nashville.  He was 66.

A native of Clarksville, he was the son of Dr. John Marable, IV.  He moved to Cowan, Tenn, at an early age.  During World War 1, he served in the U.S. Navy.  Later, he attended the University of the South at Sewanee and the University of Tennessee, where he received a degree in law.

Mr. Marable practiced law in Grundy County and served terms as State Senator in 1942 and 1944.  Among his many affiliations, he was for many years Democratic party chairman for Grundy County.  He was also a member of the American Legion, the Honorary 44 and 8, VFW and the Methodist Church.

Survivors include his wife, Roberta Schaerer Marable of Tracy City; son, John Marable, VI, Tracy City; one daughter, Clara Lind of Long Beach, Calif; two brothers, Milton of Cowan and Richard of Cartersville, GA; several grandchildren.

Funeral Services were held at the First Methodist Church in Tracy City at 2 P.M., friday, January 13, with the Revs. A.W. Holden and Jacob Gardner officiating.  Burial was in Montgomery Cemetery in Cown.   (Transcribed from the Herald Chronicle, January 12, 1967, page 9-A).

Dr. James Alexander Marable - Date of Death - May, 1882 (Exact date unknown)
To the Tobacco Leaf:  Jordan Springs:
Dr. Marable, who a few years ago was a citizen of this place, died at the residence of his son, John T. Marable, and was buried in our cemetery the other day.  His wife, the daughter of the late Rev. J.P. Bellamy, had preceeded him only a few weeks.  (Transcribed from the Clarksville Semi-Weekly Tobacco Leaf newspaper, May 26, 1882).  Dr. Marable was my great great grandfather. His actual gravesite cannot be located. He was born in Montgomery County TN in 1819. His first wife was Mary Eliza Ogburn, daughter of Col. Thomas Ogburn, and after her death, he married Mary Jane Bellamy, all of Montgomery County, TN. 
Submitted by Jerry Gray Marable, great, great grandson of Dr. James Alexander Marable.

Dr. Samuel Addison Marable, 1st - Date of Death - October 30, 1931
Brief Illness Fatal for Dr. S.A. Marable.  Funeral Services will be 2 P.M. tomorrow.  Stricken suddenly.  Practiced medicine for more than 50 years.
At 3 P.M. today, death brought to a close the long and useful life of Dr. Samuel Addison Marable, 73 years old, for more than 50 years a practicing physician at the Palmyra community of District 19.  Dr. Marable was stricken with acute indigestion wednesday afternoon and died some 36 hours later.  
Funeral services will be conducted from the Tarsus Methodist Church at 2 P.M. saturday by the Rev. F.G. Dickson, assisted by the Rev. R.L. Benton, and burial will be in the Myers Cemetery.  Committal services will be in charge of the McCulloch Lodge No. 189, F and A Masons.
Active pallbearers will be Marable McFall, Dr. H.L. Edmondson, Cuyler Dunbar, W. E. Crotzer, Collier Goodlett and Wylie Powers.  Honorary pallbearers will be:  G.R. Fessey, H.P. Myers, B.M. Ellis, J.S. Ragan, Dr. R.M. Graham, Dr. John W. Ross, Dr. E.J. Malone, A.B. Broadbent, W.D. Hudson, H.W. Ritter, L.A. Heggie and J.C. Chambliss and L.J. Pardue of Ashland City.
Marable was the son of Dr. J Hartwell Marable and Evelina H. Smith Marable and the grandson of Dr. John H. Marable, a graduate of the  Philadelphia Medical College.  The grandfather, Dr. John H. Marable, was the first physician in Middle TN who was a college graduate and was one of the founders of the TN Medical Association.  He was also a member of congress from 1827 to 1829.
Dr. S.A. Marable was the last of three generations of physicians who had practiced medicine in the Palmyra community for more than a century.  He was born November 2, 1857, on the farm on which he spent his entire life.  He was married March 15, 1882, to Bettie Mai Jackson, who died May 15, 1906. There were 10 children of this union.  Three preceeded him in death: William, the oldest, died November 12, 1906 and two others, Mary and Madison Marable, died in infancy.  Four sons and three daughters survive.  These are Samuel A. Marable, Jr. Ashland City City Attorney; J. Hartwell Marable, State Income Tax Assessor, Clarksville; H. Harding Marable and Repps Marable, Palmyra, and Misses Elizabeth, Mabel, and Annis Marable, all of Palmyra.  He also leaves one sister, Mrs. G.H. Harding of Bellview, and three grandchildren, Nancy Elizabeth Marable, John Marable, and Sam Marable.
Dr. Marable was a trustee in the Tarsus Methodist Church, a member of the Masonic lodge and Order of the Eastern Star.
Kindly, gentle and sympathetic, he brought cheer to the sick room and his long and faithful service to the people of his community endeared him to hundreds.  A kindly friend, a wise counselor to those who sought his judgement, and a devoted father, Dr. Marable was greatly beloved and his death is the occasion of great sorrow throughout his community and throughout the county.
Dr. Marable graduated from Vanderbilt University on March 1,1882, and began his medical career in Palmyra where his father and grandfather had practiced for many years.  He was the last of the immediate chain of physicians as handed down from father to son.  (Transcribed from the Clarksville Leaf-Chronicle newspaper, friday, October 30, 1931, Front page).

Samuel Addison Marable, II - Date of Death May 14, 1983
Ashland City - Services for Sam A. Marable, 94, former Ashland City Mayor, State Legislator and retired Cheatham County Chancellor, will be at 10 a.m. today at Shearon-Hunt Funeral Home with the Revs. P.H. Yeargin and Fred Hembree officiating.
Burial will be in Forest Hills Cemetery.
Marable died Saturday in Nashville Baptist Hospital after an extended illness.
A native of Montgomery County, Marable, received his law degree from Cumberland University in 1911, and after briefly working in the late Gov. Austin Peay's Clarksville law office, established a law practice in Ashland City.
In 1919 Marable was elected Mayor of Ashland City and was re-elected several times over the following 18 years, spending 10 years in the Mayor's chair altogether.
In 1921 he was elected to the Tennessee House and in 1933 was elected to the Tennessee Senate.
In 1936, then Gov. Hill McAllister appointed Marable to the 6th Division Chancery bench to serve for the ailing Chancellor J.W. Stout.  The following year, Marable was elected in his own right to the Chancery bench.
He also served as a special justice on the Tennessee Supreme Court during its session of December, 1959. 
Marable was a veteran of World War 1 and was past commander of American Legion Post 40.  He was also a member of Ashland City United Methodist Church and past chairman of its Board of Stewards.
He is also former Board Chairman of the Ashland City Bank and Trust Co., and former President of the Farmers Mercantile Hardware Company.
Marable was a member of the Cheatham County and Tennessee Bar Associations, as well as a 32nd degre Mason, a Shriner and a member of the Independent Order of Oddfellows.
He was the son of the late Dr. Samuel and Elizabeth Jackson Marable.
Survivors include a daughter, Nancy Marable Balthrop; a brother, R.C. Marable, two sisters, Mabel Baggett and Annis Powers; two grandchildren and two great-great grandchildren, all of Clarksville.
Pallbearers will be W.B. Adkisson, Lewis Hearn, Marvin Rainey, Guy Ragan, John Marable, Shelby M. Powers, Russell Balthrop and Kenneth Nicholson.  Honorary pallbearers will be active and retired Chancellors, judges and attorneys of the Sixth Chancery Division.
In lieu of other rememberances, memorials may be made to the Ashland City United Methodist Church or the American Parkinsons Disease Association.
(Transcribed from the Clarksville Leaf-Chronicle, Tuesday, May 17, 1983).

Dr. Samuel Addison Marable, III  - Date of Death Feb 21, 1970
Dr. Samuel Addison Marable, 42, President of the Academy of Medicine of Columbus and Franklin County, Ohio, died at Ohio State University Hospital in Columbus, Ohio, Saturday, following a brief illness.
Services will be conducted tuesday at 10 a.m. at St. Andrews Catholic Church with burial in St. Joseph's Cemetery in Columbus.
Dr. Marable was born Feb. 10, 1928 in Clarksville, son of J. Hartwell Marable of Clarksville, and the late Myna Powers Marable.  He attended public schools in Clarksville and graduated as valedictorian of the 1946 class.
Survivors besides his father are his widow, Audrey Smith Marable; three daughters, Lisa Ann, Kathleen, and Jennifer Lee Marable; two sons, Samuel, Jr., and James E. Marable, all of Columbus, Ohio; a brother, John Hartwell Marable, Memphis.
Dr. Marable completed pre-medical training in three years at Vanderbilt University where he was elected Phi Beta Kappa; was awarded Vanderbilt's highest Senior award, the Founders Medal and graduated Magna Cum Laude.  After receiving the Ph.D degree in 1952, he completed his surgical internship at Johns Hopkins Hospital the following year. Dr. Marable then served one year as Medical Oficer in the U.S. Navy at the Naval Hospital in San Diego, California.  During his second year of Naval duty, he was attached to the United States Sixth Fleet.
Subsequently Dr. Marable did residency training in general and thoracic surgery at University of California Medical Center in Los Angeles.  Upon completion of residency, he remained one year at the center as instructor in surgery and was a member of U.C.L.A. attending staff.
In 1961 Dr. Marable went to Ohio State University as assistant professor of surgery; a full-time member of the attending staff of University Hospital; administrator of the Medical Surgical Lecture course and the Resident Training Program in Surgery.  He was a general surgeon and specialized in cardiovascular surgery.
The medical class of Ohio State University in 1964 elected Dr. Marable "Man of the Year." At the age of 36, he was the youngest man to receive this award in ten years. The same year, the Junior Chamber of Commerce named him one of the ten "Outstanding Young Men of Central Ohio".  In December 1969 he was elected President of the Academy of Medicine of Columbus and Franklin County, Ohio, after having previously served in various capacities of the organization.
Dr. Marable made many contributions to the medical profession, including the presentation of numerous research papers before medical associations throughout the country.  He had numerous articles published in the Medical Journal and was featured in Life Magazine demonstrating his method of heart surgery.
Dr. Marable was an active worker in St. Andrews P.T.A. and a member of the Masonic Lodge. He was a life long member of the Methodist Church until recently placed membership in St. Andrews Catholic Church at Columbus.  He held membership in the various local, state and national Medical and Heart Associations.  Dr. Marable was a Diplomat of the American Board of Surgery and of the Board of Thoracic Surgery and a fellow in the American College of Surgeons.  He held membership in Phi Delta Theta, Phi Chi Medical, Phi Beta Kappa, Alpha Omega Alpha and Sigma Xi.  (Transcribed from an unknown newspaper in Columbus, Ohio).

Obits submitted by Jerry Gray Marable  e-mail: JGMJERRYGRAY@LIVE.COM
Family relative of the Marables


Clarksville Weekly Chronicle January 28, 1859  Page 3




Died of consumption, on the 27th of December 1858, at the residence of John D. Tyler, his neice, Mary C. Mockbee. Indiscriminate praise of the dead, is but too common. In her case the simple truth would appear, as the language of eulogy, to those who knew her not. For nine or ten years, an exemplary member of the Episcopal Church, her devoted and consistent piety, her charity and gentle loving kindness, won the hearts of all who knew her. “Truly, to know her, was to love her.”


Ever forgetful of self, in her earnest wish to make others happy, her whole life seemed one continued effort to promote the happiness of others. She spoke often, with great calmness and composure, of her approaching dissolution; was entirely resigned to the Will of her Heavenly Father, who had called her, thus early, “to pass under the rod,” feeling in her child-like trust, “even so Father, for so it seemeth good in thy sight.” When her friends thought her dying, she told with great difficulty, but, slowly and distinctly, “God receive my spirit.”  She rallied again and lived until the next afternoon, when gently falling asleep in Jesus, her breathing scarcely perceptible, and her features so motionless that she looked like a piece of statuary, her lips parted and a smile of the most angelic sweetness brightened her whole face. This occurred, distinctly, three separate times, and then her freed spirit took its flight, I confidently trust, to that haven of rest prepared for all who love their Saviour as she did. “Thus it is, the company of the redeemed in Heaven, is made up of the jewels of earth;

“He did give and he hath taken,

Shall we mourn the stern decree,

Lord our bruised hearts awaken,

Turn us, trustingly, to Thee.”




Tobacco Leaf  April 26, 1877  Page 3


Mockbee Taken from the Dover Jail

And Hung


William Sexton, the mail carrier between this city and Dover, informs us that Tuesday morning between the hours of 1 and 2 o’clock, three men, armed with double-barrelled shot-guns, went to William Beggs, the jailor of Stewart county, and forced him to surrender the key to the cage in which Bill Mockbee and Jack Wilson, the negroes who murdered Wiley McClish near Dover last August, were confined, and taking Mockbee from there they carried him a quarter of a mile from town, in the direction of the fairground, and hanged and shot him to death.


There may have been other men n the party who so summarily despatched Mockbee, but only three of them entered the prison. The affair was conducted quickly and with but little stir, and probably nothing was known of the deed by a half-dozen men outside of the lynchers until business hours Tuesday morning. Wilson was not disturbed. He had just been sentenced the second time to be hanged on May 25th, but Mockbee had obtained a change of venue to Arlington; Houston county, and was to have been tried at the next term of the Circuit Court at that place.




The murder of McClish was without the shadow of a justifying circumstance, the proof of Mockbee’s guilt was positive, and he deserved the punishment he received, but it should have been administered by the hands of the law. We very much regret that the citizens of Stewart should have taken the matter into their own hands. They should not have grown impatient at the law’s delay. His punishment by the Court may not have been speedy but we think it would have been certain and thus preserved the dignity of the law and good order.




Clarksville Leaf Chronicle  August 5, 1922  Page 3


Robert Theodore Mockbee

Dies at Age of 81 Years


Memphis, Tenn., Aug. 5, -- One more veteran of the “lost cause” passed to his reward Friday night when Robert Theodore Mockbee, who wore the gray as a Tennessee volunteer, died at his home, 1803 Union Avenue. He was 81 years of age and had not been in good health for some time.


Mr. Mockbee enlisted in the Fourteenth Tennessee regiment of volunteers at the outbreak of the Civil War and served his southland with the heroes of the Army of Northern Virginia, generally known as “Stonewall Jackson’s Corps”. When Lee surrendered in ’65, Mr. Mockbee made his way to Chester, SC. During the following year he married Miss Kate Mobley and they made their home in Chester for 27 years, later moving to Memphis.


Mr. Mockbee was born in Dover, Tennessee.


Nine lineal descendants, representing three generations, survive the veteran of the gray. A daughter, Mrs. Kate M. Baxter, is living here. There are four grandchildren all living in Memphis. They are: Mrs. H. M. Rhodes, Robert M., Sarah C. and James W. Baxter. Mrs. Rhodes has three children; Mary Kathryn, Rosalie and Dorothy and Robert M. Baxter has one son, Robert M., Jr.




Clarksville Weekly Chronicle  May 1, 1875  Page 3




In this county, April 19th, 1875, of consumption, Mrs. Martha Caroline Mockbee, wife of Mr. H. H. Mockbee, and daughter of Robert and Elizabeth Duke, in the 40th year of her age.

Submitted by 

Katie Riley Nash

(researching MOCKBEE in Tennessee)

Resource: Librarian Linda McArthur of the Montgomery County Public Library

Dr. Joseph Melvin Reynolds - Date of death June 11, 1997
Internationally renowned physicist and Boyd Professor Emeritus of Louisiana State University (LSU), died Thursday, June 11, 1997 in Baton Rouge, LA.  Reynolds was a summer resident in Guilford.  He is survived by his wife, Ruth Anna Heise Reynolds (native of CT) Baton Rouge, LA; two daughters and sons-in-law, Molly Elizabeth and Shingo Kuribayashi and Grace Lee and Ruth Anne Nield.  Preceded in death by James Jennings and Frances Marable Shelby Reynolds.  A native of Woodlawn, TN, the son of a minister, Reynolds received his master's from Yale University in 1947 where he was a Sheffield-Loomis Fellow in physics.  He received his doctorate in physics from Yale in 1950.  Reynolds went to LSU in 1950 and immediately establised the low-temperature physics laboratory.  His experiments in low temperature physics allowed him to study atomic and sub-atomic particles while their molecular structures were at rest.  As a result of these experiments, he became one of the first grant recipients of the then-young National Science Foundation.  His experiments led to the development of the low-frequency gravational wave-dectector, the first one of which was built at LSU.  Others were built at Standford, the University of Rome and in Switzerland.  In 1958, Reynolds was awarded a Guggenheim Fellowship to study at the University of Leide in Holland.  In 1962, he became head of the Department of Astronomy and Physics and was named to the rank of Boyd Professor, LSU's highest professional position.  In 1965, he became vice president of instruction and research for the LSU system.  While LSU Vice-President, he was the principal LSU coordinator for the desegregation program between Southern University and LSU.  In 1966, President Lyndon Johnson appointed him to the Board of the National Science Foundation.  He retired from LSU in 1985, but remained active in science and in 1986 he helped write "Space Science in the Twenty-First Century" which combined the work of six national task forces.  In 1990, he sat on the Space Studies Board along with astronaut Sally ride.  The board oversees the implementation of science experiments.  Reynolds specialized in solid-state physics, cryogenics, magnetic resonance phenomena, superconductivity, superfluidity, fluid dynamics and transport phenomena.  He was a member of the National Academy of Sciences serving on the Naval Studies Board and Space Science Board, NASA Space and Earth Science Advisory Board, National Science Foundation Board, board for the Bishop Museum in Honolulu and American Institute of Physics Governing Physical Society and a fellow of the AAAS.  He was a memeber of Sigma Xi, Omincron Delta Kappa and, Phi Kappa Phi.  He was a member of University Presbyterian Church, Baton Rouge, Southern Yacht Club, New Orleans and Cosmos Club, Washington, D.C.  In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to Buchanan Elementary Science Program, 1222 E. Buchanan, Baton Rouge, LA 70802, or to Center of Excellence in Science Teaching, College of Basic Sciences, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA.  Memorial Service will be held June 29, 2 p.m. at the Third Congregational Church of Middleton, 94 Miner Street, Middletown, CT  06457.  (Transcribed from the Hartford Courant, June 26, 1997, page B8).  Dr. Reynolds is interred in the Miner Cemetery, Middleton, CT. He was born and raised in Woodlawn, Montgomery County, TN.)
Obit provided by family relative, Jerry Gray Marable, e-mail: JGMJERRYGRAY@LIVE.COM

Return to PAGE ONE
Return to Page 2
go to page 4
go to page 5
go to page 6
Return to the Montgomery County Home Page