FAMILY HISTORIES OF
PERSONS BURIED AT
PROFESSOR LEVI RING
1. Opened private school (1834) on 5th Street in his home. Called
“The Collegiate Institute”. It ran for 20 yrs.
2. He then opened “The Clarksville High School”, a prep school for Stewart College.
3. His dau, Margaret Ring opened “The Music School” in the same 5th St. home. Nannie Haskins was one of her pupils.
4. In 1867, through the Peabody Fund, the city contracted with Dr. Levi Ring to teach students ages 6 — 16. This was the beginning of public edu. in C’ville.
Information used on the Greenwood Historic Tour of 2001. Site location information may be found on the Greenwood Cemetery site.
Submitted by Randall Rubel e-mail: RRUBEL@peoplepc.com
Return to the Montgomery County