FAMILY HISTORIES OF
JOHN FRANKLIN COUTS
1. Native of Robertson Co. (mother was Nancy Johnson, sister to Cave
and Wylie Blount Johnson).
2. Came to C’ville as young man, married Adaline Poston, dau. of John Hamil Poston, first merchant in C’ville. Had son, Poston Couts.
3. Opened in 1843 his own grocery business in Poston block On Square.
4. Opened in 1845 undertEking and furniture business. SIGN CAN STILL BE READ ON N. SIDE OF POSTON BLOCK: J.F. COUTS AND SON, Furniture & Undertaking
“UNEEDA BISQUIT, 5 cent a package, In rain or shine, They’re just so fine
5. Married second, Carrie Fleming who had dau, Florence who John Couts adopted. Florence Couts married Laurin Askew.
Information used on the Greenwood Historic Tour of 2001. Site location information may be found on the Greenwood Cemetery site.
Submitted by Randall Rubel e-mail: RRUBEL@peoplepc.com
Return to the Montgomery County