FAMILY HISTORIES OF
PERSONS BURIED AT
1. Heward Pettus made a fortune investing in stocks and bonds.
2. He left much of that fortune to the city.
3. Edith Pettus Park is named for his wife.
4. Howard Pettus Park was the old Humphreys place, the block from Robb to Drane fronting Marion. (Humphreys Co. was named for Parry Wayne Humphreys, this same family.)
5. Much of Howard Pettus’ fortune he left to the hospifal association,
used in the building of Memorial Hospital in 1954, now known as Gateway.
Information used on the Greenwood Historic Tour of 2001. Site location information may be found on the Greenwood Cemetery site.
Submitted by Randall Rubel e-mail: RRUBEL@peoplepc.com
Return to the Montgomery County