Clarksville-Leaf Chronicle [date unknown]

Oakland School Built in 1890, History Is Given

The present building of Oakland School was erected in 1890 on land donated for that purpose. The growth from a one-teacher institution to a two-teacher school took place very slowly and in 1912 a new room was added to the large room. The planner and builder of the school was Mr. Jack Meur. The Trustees during the late 90's were Messrs J. L. Kennedy, Bill Ki1lebrew, and Sellie Harris. They served all of District Two in the selection of the teachers. During the past forty-eight years, twenty teachers have occupied the teacher's chair. Those were: Mrs. Fannie Dower, Mrs. George Rawlins, Dr. Harris, Prof. John Wardroper Mr. John Lowe, Mrs. Minor Randle, Mrs. Clyde Moore, Miss Annie Dunbar, Mrs. Chap Gill, Miss Bessie Hayes, Miss Kathleen Fry, Miss Annie Smith, Mr. Duke, Mrs. Louis Taylor, Miss Louise Owen, Misses Fannie, Nancy and Katherine Kennedy, Miss Sallie Beaumont, and the present instructor, Carl G. Bellamy, who is in his sixth year at the school.


Submitted by Sandra Stacey and Mr. Sam Winters.

 Return to Montgomery School Histories page

Return to  Montgomery Home Page