HENRY E. BEACH
"H. E. Beach was employed as a masonry engineer on several railroad
construction projects. Work on the Edgefield and Kentucky
railroad near Port Royal led to acquaintance with the Bourne family.
Following the marriage of Frances Bourne and H. E. Beach, they
removed to Virginia. During the War Between the States, H. E.
Beach served in the Virginia Confederate forces. Following the
war, Mr. Beach attended dentistry college in Philadelphia, where he
graduated. Thereafter, he practiced his profession in Clarksville
and served on the faculty of Vanderbilt Medical University."
History of Adams and Port Royal.
"One of the most public spirited, enterprising and benevolent
citizens of Clarksville is Dr. Henry E. Beach, the eminent dental
surgeon, whose name is familiar in every part of Tennessee and
Kentucky. Dr. Beach is a native of Prince Edward County,
Virginia, the son of E. B. Beach, a farmer, and was born February 1,
1837. He was raised on the farm and educated at country
schools. When seventeen years old he left home to go with his
older brother, who was engaged on the construction of the Petersburg
& Norfolk Railroad. He continued on public works for about
five years, during which time he was principally engaged in
superintending the construction of masonry, or as assistant civil
engineer. The Cincinnati, Cumberland Gap & Charleston,
Northwestern of Tennessee, and Edgefield & Kentucky, now the
Southeastern division of the Louisville & Nashville, were the
fields of his labors. On the 21st of December, 1859, Dr. Beach
was married to Miss Fannie J. Bourne, daughter of William Bourne, of
Port Royal, of this county. He then moved to Virginia and engaged
in mercantile pursuits, during which time he commenced the study of his
profession. He entered the Confederate service during the second
year of the war, and was a member of Company D, Nineteenth Battalion of
Heavy Artillery, in which he served until the close of the war.
He carries on his person a scar from a bayonet wound as a mark of his
devotion to the service of the Confederacy. At the close of the
war he commenced anew the study and practice of his profession.
His ambition to be in the front rank among his professional brethren
led him to use every means in his power to attain that end. The
result was that he graduated in the Pennsylvania College of dental
surgery in February, 1870, having received the highest award of praise
for his skill in operative dentistry of any member of his class of
forty-three graduates. He came to Clarksville the following May, and
located on the site of his present residence on Franklin Street, where
he has successfully practiced since. Dr. Beach has twice been
honored with the presidency of the Tennessee Dental Association, being
elected to that office in 1877 and again in 1886. His
administrations were noted for the business like manner in which the
work of the society was conducted, and the improvements made. He
is now Clinical Professor in the Dental Department of Vanderbilt
University, Nashville, Tennessee, and state editor of the Archives of
Dentistry, published in St. Louis, Missouri. Dr. Beach and his
wife are active members of the Baptist Church, the Doctor being a
Deacon in the church, and for many years was Superintendent of the
Sunday School. They have six children, viz: William
Earnest, Matie E., Henry E., Jr., Edward R., John R., and Lillian, all
of which are living in Clarksville save one who is living in Kansas
City, Missouri, viz: Henry E., Jr. He is an active and
enthusiastic member of the Knights of Honor and Knights of Pythias,
having passed the chair in both organizations, and been twice
representative to the Grand Lodge in the order of the Knights of
Honor. He is now a member of the Board of Mayor and Aldermen of
this city, and Chairman of the Finance Committee, and a member of the
Board of Health."
Picturesque Clarksville, Titus, 1887
Henry E. Beach enlisted as a private in Company D, 19th Virginia
Heavy Artillery, CSA, on January 24, 1864 at Camp Lee, Virginia.
He served with his unit until paroled at Farmville, Virginia, between
April 11 and 21, 1865.
Compiled Military Service Record, NARA