FAMILY HISTORIES OF
PERSONS BURIED AT
GAMMALIEL BAILEY WILSON
1. G.B. Wilson came to C’ville as an architect/builder after the Civil War.
2. He is credited with building many of the houses in Dog Hill, the Lurton House (blown away by Tornado ‘99), “The Rose Garden”, and the George Bowling house as well as Howell School (the original).
3. A musical family, his son was organist for First Presbyterian and his other children sang in the choir.
4.One dau. was Miss Kate who married JOSEPH RUGGLES WILSON, son of Professor Joseph Wilson who was here as Southwestern’s first professor of theology, coming in 1885, retiring in 1893. Professor Wilson was also father to PRES. WOODROW WILSON, 28th president of the U.S.
5. JOSEPH RUGGLES WILSON, Jr. lived in Dog Hill with wife Kate. There three of their four children were born. Joseph, called Dode, was employed by the “Tobacco Leaf Chronicle”.
6. Joseph and his wife, Kate with three of their four daughters lie
here in Greenwood directly behind Kate’s parents, the Gammaliel Wilsons.
Information used on the Greenwood Historic Tour of 2001. Site location information may be found on the Greenwood Cemetery site.
Submitted by Randall Rubel e-mail: RRUBEL@peoplepc.com
Return to the Montgomery County