FAMILY HISTORIES OF
PERSONS BURIED AT
.CHARLES LACY LOCKERT
and LUCY DABNEY SMITH
1 . Lacy Lockert, son—in--law of Lucy D. Smith, widow of Christopher Smith (of Smith/Trahern Mansion) is responsible for the origin of “Miss Lucy’s ghost”.
2. When Miss Lucy died in 1905, Lacy came every night at dusk with his lantern to go all through the house checking everything to see if all was well.
3. Since Christopher’s body had been lost on the Mississippi enroute from N. Orleans to C’ville (he died of yellow fever there), Miss Lucy was accustomed to going each day at dusk to her cupola (now widow’s walk) to look for her husband’s return.
4. When the light from Lacy’s lantern could be seen by neighborhood
children going all through the house, they were told by their mothers (as
a deterrent to keep them out ot Miss Lucy’s house) that that light was
“Miss Lucy’s ghost”. In those days doors were not locked and children had
begun to play in Miss Lucy’s house, still fully furnished until finally
an auction on the lawn sold her household goods.
Information used on the Greenwood Historic Tour of 2001. Site location information may be found on the Greenwood Cemetery site.
Submitted by Randall Rubel e-mail: RRUBEL@peoplepc.com
Return to the Montgomery County