FAMILY HISTORIES OF
PERSONS BURIED AT
MISS BERTHA EMERY
1. “Miss Bertha” taught piano in C’ville for 59 years until her death
in 1959. Her home on Main Street was the scene of Monday night musicals
afterwhich Miss Bertha always served Charlotte
2. The Monday Evening Class grew out of this.
3. Her father, Professor William Emery came to Shelbyville, KY from Devonshire England to teach in the female academy there. He taught piano, violin, organ.
4. There he met his wife, Amelia, first cousin, once removed to Mary Todd Lincoln.
5. In 1880 they came to C’ville where Professor Emery taught in his home.
6. Professor Emery was organist at Trinity Episcopal for nearly 50 years.
He and Miss Bertha together are credited with greatly enhancing the musical
culture of C’ville for 3 quarters of a century.
Information used on the Greenwood Historic Tour of 2001. Site location information may be found on the Greenwood Cemetery site.
Submitted by Randall Rubel e-mail: RRUBEL@peoplepc.com
Return to the Montgomery County