Frank Anderson Ray


Vonore Methodist Cemetery, Monroe Co., Tn




“He gave his life for his country and now he’s a soldier of the King.”

A deep shadow of gloom was thrown over the little town of Vonore, on Nov. 5th, when Mr. and Mrs. G.W. Ray received a telegram announcing the death of their son, Frank Anderson Ray, at Camp Rosecrans, California.

Frank was born Aug. 19th, 1897, and was the third son of Mr. and Mrs. Ray.  Besides his parents, he is survived by five brothers and three sisters, all o whom reside at or near Vonore, with the exception of J.B. who is now at Camp Mills, Long Island, N.Y.

Frank was a “mother’s boy,” and had a sweet little way of emphasizing his affections by frequently taking his mother in this arms and clasping her close up to him saying, “there is no one loves his mother as I do mine.”  His favorite song which he sang and whistled almost continually was “Oh! How I’ve missed my mother.”  When a boy is so devoted to his mother, he very seldom goes very far wrong; and the writer was not surprised to hear that the heartbroken mother had received letters from him since he entered camps, in which he spoke of being a changed boy, and for her not to worry for he was living the right kind of life.  So she has the sweet assurance that his soul is saved.

Frank’s one great ambition was to be a soldier, and before the United States entered the great World War, he volunteered for army service, but was rejected on account of weak eyes.  Then he tried to join the navy, but was again turned down on account of his eyes.

Being disappointed in his soldier aspirations, the deceased went to Mountain Home, Idaho, and secured a position on a sheep ranch, where he was making good wages when the draft law was passed; and again his hope arose that he might yet attain to his chief desire in being registered immediately.  The first board was of the opinion that his eyes were against him.  But the second board seeing how eager and anxious he was to enter the training camps, passed him as a limited service man; and Frank was happy and contented when he was sent to Camp Rosecrans.

He had only been in training a short time when he was stricken with influenza (Oct 29th) which developed into pneumonia almost immediately and his young soul passed out to God who gave it at 8:50 a.m. Nov. 4th, 1918.

While his loved ones are grief stricken because of their loss, there is a patriotic pride in the fact that he died for his country as truly as if his young blood had stained the battle fields of France.

His remains reached Vonore Nov. 11th, and the funeral services were conducted from the Methodist Church the day following at 2 p.m., Rev. Frank Y. Jackson of Sweetwater, and Rev. Curtis of Toqua, officiating.

Now his khaki clad body sleeps in Vonore Cemetery, beneath a blanket of flowers, attesting the high esteem in which the young man and his parents were held; and over his grave the beloved American flag and a white banner inscribed in red, white and blue letters which read:

“He gave his life for this country, and now he’s a soldier of the King.”

Such a sweet and comforting thought that Frank is still a happy soldier, only being transferred from the earthly ranks to those On High, where he waits with his beloved Commander, the Lord Jesus Christ, to welcome each loved ne to the same Heavenly Army.

May the Lord bind up the wounded hearts caused by the removal of another brave soldier boy, Frank Ray, from earth, is the sincere desire and prayer of ---A Friend.



Researcher and Designer

Joy Locke & Joe Irons