|Old Bolivar Academy / Monroe Countt High School & Girls Dormitory|
Old Bolivar Academy / Monroe County High School & Girls Dormitory|
Photo taken between 1909 and 1912
The brick build on the right side of the photo was the old Bolivar Academy and was built in 1894. In 1908, the academy closed and was sold and reopened as the first Monroe County High School. The first graduate of the new high school was Luther H. Cagle who later returned as a teacher. In 1912, an addition of four new classrooms were added to the front of the building, and as a result, many people then believed that the apperance of the building was ruined. This photo was taken before the new addition in 1912. The last class in this building was the class of 1917. This building was then torn down and the new Monroe County Central High School was build in its place.
The wood sided building on the left side of the photo was the girls dormitory which was build in 1909 and would accomodate fifty girls. This building stood in the area of what is now the Monroe County, TN Election Commissions office, and traces of the dormitory foundation can still be found.
Information taken from the Monroe County,TN Heritage Book.
This page created by