David M. Blevins, planter and merchant, was born in Sullivan County, October 13, 1833, the son of James and Ruth (Rockhold) Blevins, of English and Scots- Irish stock, and natives of Sullivan County; the former born January 22, 1802, and deceased in Meigs County, February 10, 1849, and the latter born February 29, 1808, and still living. The parents were married, about 1826, and spent about twenty-three happy years in this county, and the mother has never remarried. He was a Democrat, and both were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Our subject, one of nine children, was educated at Decatur, and left the farm, and began life as a merchant. In August, 1859, he opened a general store at Decatur, but, in 1861, he enlisted in Company I, Third Confederate Tennessee Infantry, and was in Virginia until February, 1862, and took part at Manassas (the first) and at other places. He was also in East Tennessee, and in the following December, at Vicksburg, where he was captured with Pemberton's forces., paroled, and in September following exchanged, entering service again at Decatur, Ga. He was an adjutant for three years, but enlisted as second lieutenant. On his return, in 1865, he resumed farming , and in 1873 made a tour of ten months through California, Oregon and Washington Territories. He then engaged in the grain traffic on the Tennessee River, and in 1875 he turned to the plow again, and since 1876 has been at his present home, where since October 1880 he has also had a store of general merchandise. Fannie Hoyle became his wife December 28, 1880. She was born at Cleveland, Tenn., in 1860. Their children are David, born August 22, 1882, and died September 16, 1882; James H., born April 8, 1884, and Hugh, born October 16, 1886. Our subject is a Democrat and a Methodist.
Elisha S. Boggess was born at Ten Mile Stand, Meigs Co., Tenn., June 9, 1856, and is the son of Abijah and Lavina (Sharp) Boggess. The father was born in Meigs County, and was killed at the battle of Bentonville (N.C.) while enlisted in the Confederate service; he enlisted in the Twenty-sixth Tennessee Regiment as captain in 1861. He was at a great number of battles: was taken prisoner and exchanged, but enlisted again. He was a successful farmer, and a Democrat. His parents were Abijah and Susan E. Boggess, who died in Meigs County. They were old settlers of Meigs County, Tenn. The mother was born in Meigs County, and is now a resident of the same, fifty-eight years of age. She is a member of the Baptist Church. Our subject is the fourth of seven children. He secured a good education as could be obtained at the home schools. He lived with his mother until twenty years of age, when he went to his mother's farm in the Second District, and remained seven years; then purchased 460 acres of land in the Seventh District, 300 of which are under cultivation. He is a member of the Baptist Church, and is a Democrat. December 30, 1890, he married Martha Ewing, who was born in Roane County in 1864. She is the daughter of Elijah and Mary Ewing. She had a liberal education and is a member of the Baptist Church. This union has resulted in three children, all living: Sudie, Catha and Dixie.
Samuel J. Breeden, M. D., was born in Roane County, July 25, 1852, the son of William and Nancy (Barnard)Breeden, of Irish and German stock, the former born on the Virginia and Tennessee line, in 1803, and deceased in 1865, the latter born in 1814, in Roane County, and deceased in Loudon County in 1877. The parents spent their married life in Roane County, where they made farm life a success. The father was a Union Democrat, and both had been Baptists, but the mother and probably the father also became members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The father was a colonel in the Cherokee war, and was a financial success, although he lost much in surety money. Our subject, the seventh of eight children, on account of delicate health and the war, was educated but a little before fifteen years of age, when he was educated chiefly at Hiwassee College, in Monroe County. He was then a salesman in Philadelphia, Tenn., for two years. He soon returned to Loudon County, and was engaged in the practice of medicine about eighteen months. Since then he has been at Breedenton, which, before he and his brother established a store there, was called Stewart's Landing, until 1886, he went to Dayton, Rhea county, but since October of that year, he has been at Decatur. March 25, 1884, he married Hester Marrell, a native of Washington County, and born in April, 1859. William E. is their only son, born September 4, 1885. Our subject is a Democrat, and a Methodist, while his wife is of the Presbyterian faith. She is a daughter of Eldridge S. and Susan T. (Allison) Marrell.
W. D. Broder, Sr., farmer, was born in Roane Co., Tenn., January 25, 1823, and was son of William and Elizabeth (Lackey) Browder, of Irish and English ancestry; the former born in North Carolina February 10, 1792, and now a resident of McMinn County, Tenn. The father, before giving so much to the building of churches, to his children, and before his slaves were freed, was worth about $40,000. He is a Methodist, and a Democrat. The Lackeys came from South Carolina to Tennessee about 1800. The mother of our subject died in Monroe County, Tenn., in 1862, a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. Our subject, the third of eight children (four living), was educated in the common schools, and left his father's farm when twenty-one years of age. He rented for two years, and then bought a farm in Roane County, Tenn., of 280 acres; he lived on his 627 acres in McMinn for eight years, and after five years on another farm of 610 acres, in Sweet Water Valley. He rented land in Williamson County for four years. After renting a year in Meigs he bought 320 acres and his father-in-law gave his wife 203 acres, making the farm on which he now lives. He is a Democrat, Mason, and Methodist and Prohibitionist. October 24, 1844, he married Sarah A., daughter of Philomon and Martha Deatherage, who was born in Madison Co., Ky., October 20, 1823, also a Methodist. Our subject improved and made money on his farm, but was ruined financially by the war.
William B. Brown is a native of East Tennessee, born in Monroe County, near Sweet Water, November 14, 1829. His parents were Thomas and Nancy (Davis) Brown. They were of English and Scotch descent. Both were natives of Fluvanna County, Va. The father's birth occurred in the last hour of the eighteenth century, and his death in Meigs County September 3, 1875. The mother was born about 1798, and died in Meigs County, about the year 1855. They were married in West Tennessee, to which country the had emigrated from Virginia about 1824, and two years later they came to Monroe County, and settled near Sweet Water; for the next fourteen or fifteen years they lived at different places in Bledsoe County, and in 1840 they came to Meigs county, where they spent the remainder of their days. The father married, about 1856, Mrs. Jane Haney, whose maiden name was Chote. He was engaged in agricultural pursuits during his life. He was a Republican, and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church (Northern Branch). The mother was member of the same church. Our subject was one of eight children. He secured a good education in his youth at Georgetown and Pikeville. After completing his education, for a number of years he was engaged in teaching school in Meigs, Bradley and Bledsoe Counties. In the last named county he taught two years at Sequatchie College. In 1867 he settled down on the farm where he now lives, and since that date to the present has given his attention exclusively to the farm, and now owns nearly 400 acres of land. On August 8, 1867, he married Miss R. Jane Braswell, born in Bledsoe County in 1848. They have no children. Our subject has been in public office for thirteen years. In August, 1874, he was elected justice of the peace, and has successively been re-elected to the at office ever since. He has also been notary public for the last eight years. In his political views he is a conservative Democrat, and is a worthy member of the Methodist Episcopal Church (Northern Branch). His wife is a member of the same church.
T. W. Burke, merchant, was born in Caswell County, N. C., February 11, 1849, the son of A. R. and Isabella (Graves) Burke, the former born in the same county December 9, 1806, and now living near his birth place, a successful farmer who lost all by the war. The father was educated in the Sunday school, and is a member of the Primitive Baptist Church. He is a Democrat, and several years was a merchant. The next ancestors were in order, Anderson and James. Anderson was born in Virginia , and in his honor Burkesville was named. He died in Stewart County, Tenn., a farmer, having in former year been a teamster. James was born in Ireland, and was connected with the famous gunpowder plot, from which he escaped, his brother being caught and executed. James then came to Virginia where he died. Sir Edmund burke was of the same line of Burkes. The mother's ancestors were English, and she was born in North Carolina in June, 1844, the daughter of Asa Graves, farmer and trader, and a sheriff of Henderson County, Tenn., where he died. The mother is a member of the Baptist Church. Our subject attended the common schools, and when sixteen engaged as salesman in a grocery at Danville, Va., and went to night school. Two years later he returned to Caswell County. After farming a year he went to Hamilton County, Tenn., and farmed and taught for some time. He was then engaged on government works on the Tennessee River, until May 1874. He then went to near Red Bluff, Cal., and in October became the company of Browne and Co., merchants. Then he came to his present home and engaged in farming, contracting and building. Since March, 1886, he has also been a merchant at Pinhook Landing. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and is a Republican. August 20, 1874, he married Rachel E. Brown, who was born in Meigs County, April 27, 1854, the daughter of W. S. and Elizabeth Brown. She is a Methodist. They were married by Judge Charles P. Barnard, of Colorado. Their children are Lizzie B., Jennie C., Willie T. and Mary E. John A. died in 1881 aged three years.
Robert E. Cate, planter and miller, was born near Decatur September 1, 1830, the son of Daniel and Ava (Elder) Cate, both of English stock, and natives of Jefferson County; the former was born in 1796 and died in 1858, and the latter was born in 1800 and died in 1867. There were married in 1817, and lived in Jefferson County about six years, then came to Rhea (now Meigs) County. The father was a successful farmer, and a Democrat and both were members of the Missionary Baptist Church. In about the year 1680 four brothers of the name Cate came form Europe , and settled in America-two of them in Virginia and two in North Carolina. From these brothers sprang all the kin of this name in the United States. Our subject is of a large family, was educated in Meigs County, and taught school five or six years in Meigs and Hamilton Counties. In 1858 he settled on a farm in the Fourth District, from which date he has been a successful farmer. His fine residence was built in 1880 at a cost of $2,500. November 16, 1858, Arminda Stephenson became his wife. She was born in 1834 in McMinn County. They have three sons and four daughters. He now owns about 700 acres on the Tennessee River, with a (water) flouring mill on it. He is a Democrat, and both he and his wife are members of the Missionary Baptist Church. The Cate family are largely scattered throughout the Western and Southern States. John C. Cate was governor of New Hampshire and William Cate was na eminent judge of Arkansas. They are also noted for the number of Baptist preachers they have furnished.
Dr. M. Clark, of Meigs County, Tenn., was born near Philadelphia, Monroe Co., Tenn., June 23, 1832; the son of Joseph M. and Nancy A. (McCambell) Clark. The father was born in North Carolina of English parentage, and came to Knoxville at an early date; he was a professional teacher, taught school at Knoxville, Kingston, Philadelphia and various places throughout the country, an educational man, old line Whig, and a Presbyterian. The mother was born in Virginia, of Scotch-Irish parentage, was liberally educated for the times, and was a member of the Presbyterian Church; she spared no pains in training and educating her children. Our subject, the youngest of eleven children, except one, was educated liberally, but mostly at home. After becoming a man he taught school and farmed, reading medicine at the same time under one Dr. G. M. Clementson. He commenced practice in 1858, and in 1859 became partner with his old preceptor. He is also now a farmer, was originally a Whig, now acts with the Democratic party; is a Master Mason, and a Presbyterian. December 15, 1861, he married Sara C., daughter of B. F. and Mary Locke, born in Decatur, Tenn., December 20, 1843, and their children are now living are Anna E., Andrew Franklin, Jo McCampbell, Alice May, Rosalie C., S. Ernest, Bulah Dixie and Lillian. They have a little granddaughter - Mabel Clare Wann. Those who departed this life are little Hattie, born June 21, 1877, died August 16, 1878, Molenia Alberta, born February 10, 1863, died June 13, 1885, she was the eldest of the household flock, the flower of the family, the wife of Mr. J. H. Wann, late of Salem, Oregon, whose Memoriam here is perpetuated: "Mrs. Molenia Alberta Wann, daughter of Dr. M. C. Clark, of Ten Mile Stand, Meigs Co., Tenn., was born February 10, 1863. United in marriage to Mr. J. H. Wann, late of Salem, Ore., on September 13, 1883, died June 13, 1885, at 11:30 A. M., leaving an infant daughter, aged one month and twenty-one days. Aged at the time of her death twenty-two years four months and three days, having enjoyed and honored the marriage relation of almost two years. Once more the silent tread of the Death Angel has crossed the threshold of a father's peaceful home, a beloved one - the eldest of the household flock - is borne away in his relentless arms, and laid on his cold bosom in the dark grave, covering an entire community with gloom, and filling the sorrow-smitten family with remediless grief. We might pause a moment, drop a tear of sorrow over the deceased, a tear of sympathy with the bereaved husband and family and pass on, as is too often the case; but in the course of human life we meet with persons, who are stamped with individuality to the extent that it is not amiss to embalm their memory with something more durable than a mere passing notice. The writer, who knew her from infancy till her sanctified spirit fled from the world of death to the fountains of unsullied bliss, offers this tribute of respect to the name of Bertie, as she was familiarly called. It is not hollow praise to say that the child bloomed into a dutiful and trusted daughter, affectionate sister, sociable companion, diligent student, devoted, considerate and obedient wife, and -- alas! Life was too short to develop more than a tender, loving mother, before God had written little Mabel Clare motherless, and she was committed to other hands for training. Endowed with a fine intellect and personal charms, it is not singular that in school, at home, and abroad she had a large circle of friends, and reached a high grade of proficiency in all her studies. As principal of a country school, one session, she was acceptable to patrons and profitable to the students. Nearly three years before her death she professed faith in Christ - to be saved by the washing of regenerating and renewing of the Holy Ghost.' Her religious life was not marked by any unusual degree of piety; nor was there anything to injure any one's confidence in her Christian integrity. But owing to surroundings, she did not join the church, and in the gaieties and festivities of the times there was not the growth of grace developed that was so confidently looked for at her conversion. Her home was near the river, at Euchee, and being exposed to malaria he health became delicate, and she was removed to her father's to be under his treatment and her mother's care in her confinement, from which, and a complication of diseases, she declined under the treatment of as high medical talent as our country affords, till the end was reached. A week before her death she notified her friends of her gloomy forebodings and fears of the future, though all the time claiming to be converted. In the presence of death for some time she yielded to fear. During that time with child-like simplicity and deep-toned sorrow, which moved all to tears who heard, she repeatedly exclaimed: 'Lord, I give myself to Thee, Oh, take me as I am!' - seeming to fully understand the exclamation to mean entire submission to God's will, and an abiding confidence in the ability, will and love of the Savior to do right. In the repeated religious conversations had with her during the last week, no human mind could have been more calm, or have had more fixed determination not to be deceived - to go down into death amidst the dark clouds, or have the star of hope to rise in her soul, and the sun of righteousness shed his bright beams in a halo of glory around her expiring couch. On Friday night before her death was the last extended conversation, which was in private, at her request. She expressed herself as being satisfied with the evidences of her acceptance with the Savior, and a readiness to go and be at rest in heaven. She left an exhortation to her associates and all others to be prompt to render obedience to the Savior, as Christians to live in the church, and to "abstain from all appearance of evil.' In full possession of her mental powers, which were retained to the last moment, our parting was with mutual promises to meet where the clouds do not darken or sorrows torture the soul. That last night was one of great suffering. Nearly daylight she said to an associate: 'I am ready to go - am almost there.' At about 11o'clock A. M. all knew at the end was at hand. She committed her babe to her husband, father and mother to be trained for heaven, gave counsel to all of the family, asked and received promises to meet her in heaven, took an affectionate farewell, and feel asleep in Jesus. On Sunday at 4 o'clock P. M., in the presence of a large concourse, she was interred in the family burying-ground of Maj. Sharp, of whom she was a Bertie, a little while: the last trump will awake you in the resurrection of the just." [Affectionately inscribed by her Spiritual Adviser.]
Elijah M. Ewing was born in Roane County, Tenn., November 25, 1830, and is the son of Jacob and Anna (Matheney) Ewing. The father was of Irish descent, was born in Virginia, March 15, 1802, and died in Roane County about June 9, 1870. His father moved to Northeast Tennessee, but after about one year moved to Roane when Jacob was about seven years of age. He at an early age purchased a farm on the Tennessee River near Caney Creek Island, but since named Ewing Island, where he lived until his death. He was very religious, never missing a Sunday to go to the Baptist Church. He was the son of James Ewing, who was born in Ireland and came to Virginia. The mother was of English descent, and was born either in Greene or Washington County on Horse Creek, December 22, 1800, and died in Meigs County about May 10, 1880. She was the daughter of Elijah Matheney, who was a native of Virginia, and died in Roane County, Tenn. there were seven children, all of them now living, and in five hours notice can meet at one place. Our subject is the fourth of these. He had poor school advantages but has secured a practical education; he lived on his father's farm until his twenty-first year, then went on an extensive western tour, and was gone nearly one year, visiting Texas, Louisiana, Missouri, Illinois and Kentucky, then returned home and went to work again on his father's farms; but after five years bought land on Riley Creek, Roane County. In 1881 he partly sold and partly gave to his son, and purchased his present place, consisting of 520 acres, with the principal part under cultivation. His father gave him a horse and some farm implements, which he spent on his western trip. When he returned he went to work in earnest, and has made what he has by energy and industry. In the latter part of 1862 he enlisted in Capt. Kincaid's Company, of Col. McKenzie's Regiment, and was in the service for about a year. He is a member of the Baptist Church, a Mason, and is a Democrat. October 13, 1853, he married Mary Murphy, who ws born on the farm on which she now lives, December 5, 1830. She is the daughter of Benjamin and Nancy Murphy. She also is a member of the Baptist Church. This union has resulted in the birth of ten children, six of them now living: John M., Martha J., Robert E., Nettie, Sarah M., William A., and those dead died when young.
Arthur C. Ewing was born near Kingston, Roane Co., Tenn., February 24, 1837, and is the son of Jacob and Anna (Matheny) Ewing. The Ewings are if Irish descent. Our subject is the sixth of seven children. He secured a practical education at home schools, which has been improved by constant reading and practice. In his twenty-first year he moved to an adjoining farm owned by his father, and was engaged in farming until the spring of 1862, when he enlisted in Company B, commanded by Capt. J. M. Kincaid, of the Fifth Tennessee Cavalry, commanded by Col. G. W. McKenzie, of the Confederate service, and served with credit until the surrender at Bentonville, N. C. He was in the battle of Chicamauga, and at Atlanta, and on the campaign south from Dalton, Ga., and numerous skirmishes. He had two horses shot from under him, and his hat band cut in two by a bullet, but was never wounded. In 1863 he was made orderly. Some time after the war he purchased the farm that he had been living on, from his father, where he remained until 1873, then sold it and bought 189 acres of land in the Eighth District, Meigs County, Tenn., which he has improved greatly. In the fall of 1884 he engaged in the mercantile business at Euchee Landing with B. H. McCallon; the firm name is Ewing McCallon. They carry a stock of goods worth $2,000. In 1878 he was appointed deputy sheriff, serving under Frank Holt for two years. He is a very active and enterprising man, a member of the Baptist Church, is a Mason, and a Democrat. March 25, 1858, he married Seraphine Barnard, who was born in Roane County, Tenn., July 7, 1841. She is the daughter of Col. John A. and Eliza J. Campbell) Barnard. She is a member of the Baptist Church. This union has resulted in four children, all living: James A., Jacob N., Elijah B. and Luleni Leoti.
Jonas Fooshee, farmer, was born on the farm he now owns May 19, 1842; the son of John R. and Susan (Hinds) Fooshee, of French ancestry. The former was born in Roane County, November 28, 1817, and is now a farmer of the Eight District, Meigs Co. For several years he was a justice, and chairman of the county court. He is a Democrat. The grandfather, Absalom, was born November 20, 1797, in North Carolina, and died in Meigs County in October 1879, was a farmer, and among the first settlers of Roane County. The mother was born in Roane County, about 1823 and is still living, and is a member of the Baptist Church. Seven of twelve children are living. Our subject, the eldest, has educated himself, and in 1861 left the farm to enlist in Company A, Twenty- sixth Tennessee Confederate Infantry, as a sergeant, and was at Chicamauga, and the Atlanta campaign. He was sick at Fort Donelson, and escaped imprisonment; then went to Company B, of Howard's Battalion. At Chicamauga he received a grape-shot wound. After the war he went to White County, and purchased 376 acres of land, but in 1873 he moved to Meigs County, having sold 150 acres of the White County land, and bought between 5500 to 600 acres in Meigs County. He is a Methodist, a Mason, A knight of Honor, and a Democrat. July 24, 1866, he married Jane, the widow of John Trewhitt, and daughter of John and Sallie Crook. She ws born September 25, 1829, and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Their children are Joseph C., George A., and Robert E. L.
James H. Fuller, planter and ex-sheriff, was born in Washington County, Va., May 10, 1822, the son of Joshua and Mary (Clark) Fuller, of Dutch-Irish and Dutch-English stock, respectively, and born, the former in North Carolina about 1790, and deceased in Roane County, Tenn., November 11, 1858; and the latter born at our subject's birthplace, May 10, 1792, and deceased Roane County, December 27, 1871. The parents were married about 1820, and lived in Washington County, about five years, then, after four years in Roane County, they spent three years in Illinois. They finally settled in Roane County, Tenn., as successful farmers. The father was a Democrat, and a Methodist, while the mother was a Baptist. George Fuller, the grandfather, was in the Revolution, and James Clark, the other grandfather, also. The mother had been the widow of Rev. James Moore, who died about 1816. Our subject, the eldest of seven children, was educated in Roane County, and grew up on the plantation. Eleven years ago, he came to his present farm, purchased three years before, and for twenty-five years he has been a citizen of Meigs County. February 18, 1845, he married Lucinda Jolley who ws born in Roane County, in August, 1825, a daughter of William and Jolley, (deceased). Of six sons and four daughters, one of each sex is deceased. Our subject now owns about 330 acres. He has given most of his farm to his children. From 1872 he served six years as sheriff of Meigs County. He is now justice, elected two years ago, unsolicited. He is a Democrat, and his entire family are members of the Baptist Church.
Capt. Robert L. Gamble, a planter, was born December 10, 1836 in Meigs County, the son of Samuel and Matilda (Rigg) Gamble, of Irish-English stock, whose ancestors came to America before the Revolution. The father was born bout 1785, in East Tennessee, and died in Meigs County, August 13, 1855, and the mother, a Virginian born November 29, 1803, died in Meigs county, October 15, 1855. They were married in Rhea (now Meigs) Country, August 19, 1823, where they spent all their married life. The father was a farmer, a Democrat, and both were members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Our subject is one of ten children, and was educated in Meigs County; excepting his four years of war service he has always been devoted to agriculture. He was a merchant, however, one of the years 1859-60-61 on the Hiwassee River. In March 1862, he enlisted in the Fifth Tennessee Federal Infantry, Company E, as second lieutenant, but two months later was discharged on account of ill health, and while en route for home was captured in Rhea County and kept under guard at Kingston, Tenn., about two months. In December, however, he re-enlisted in Company E, Fourth Tennessee Cavalry, and served until 1863 as a private. He was soon made first lieutenant, and in May 1864, Captain of Company G. He was captured in July, 1864, and taken to Macon, thence to Charleston, S. C., and exchanged in September following. He reached his company at Nashville, twenty days later, but, in December, was wounded in the thigh at Sugar Creek, Giles County, and was in the hospital over two months. He was mustered out at Nashville, July 12, 1865. He was at Farmington, Tenn., and with Gen. S. Smith on his Mississippi raid, also in an Alabama raid, in all the engagements of Gen. McCook, and those about Nashville, and Franklin. Since 1867 he has been on his present farm. He owns about 600 acres in Meigs County. June 29, 1859, he married Permelia E. Tillery, of Knox County, who was born October 23, 1841, daughter of Charles and Ellen Tillery (deceased), the former born in Knox County. August 31, 1818 and the latter in Jefferson County, in 1816; March 25, 1866, and November 14, 1847, are the dates of their deaths. Our subject has had six sons and six daughters, three of the latter, and one of the former deceased. His wife and three children are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. A large marble quarry on his farm is now attracting considerable attention.
William C. Godsey is a native of East Tennessee, and ws born in Rhea County September 20, 1844. His parents were Stephen J. and Mary (Gibbons) Godsey. The father is a native of Virginia, born in Scott County, about 1814, and died in Meigs County (where our subject is now living), August, 1859. The mother was born in Hawkins county, Tenn., about 1812, and is still living, a resident of Faulkner County, Ark. The parents were married in Hawkins County, and soon after their marriage they moved to Grainger County, where they lied three years; then came to Rhea County, and were citizens of the county nine years. In 1849 they came to Meigs County, and settled where our subject is now living, and here the father died in 1857. The mother never re-married. About six years ago she went o Arkansas, and makes her home with her youngest son. Our subject is the fifth of seven children. He secured a good education in his youth. In his boyhood he worked on his father's farm, and at eighteen years of age, in the fall of 1863, he entered the Confederate States service, enlisting in Company I, Fifth Tennessee Cavalry Regiment. W. W. Lillard ws captain of the company, and G. W. McKenzie, colonel of the regiment. The command was finally received into Gen. Wheeler's division, and remained with this general the remainder of the war. Our subject took part in the battles of Missionary Ridge, Chickamauga Creek, and all the battles from Chattanooga to Atlanta, Ga. Our subject had a brother, John P. Godsey, killed near Atlanta. He returned home in the spring of 1865, after an absence of over two years, and commenced farming. In the fall of 1872 he purchased the old homestead, and since that date to the present has given his attention exclusively to farming. In 1885 he built a unique and very attractive residence at the cost of nearly $2,000. He now owns upward of 275 acres of land, and three town lots in Dayton, one of them improved. On January 2, 1872, he was united in marriage with Miss Mary J. Martin, born in Meigs County, July 26, 1854, the daughter of Luke P. and Narcissus Martin (deceased). This union resulted in seven children - five sons and two daughters; one son is dead. Our subject and wife are Baptists. In 1886, the home of our subject ws made into a postoffice, and named Maloney. They have a weekly mail form Dayton to Big Springs.
Benjamin F. Grigsby ws born in Monroe County, September 14, 1840, the son of John E. and Susan (Roberts) Grigsby, both of English stock, and native of Blount County, Tenn., the former born in February, 1810, and deceased in Bradley County, March 21, 1887, and the latter, born about 1815, and deceased in Monroe County in 1844. The parents were married in Blount County, in 1833, and moved to Monroe Co. The father married again in 1846, and two years later became a farmer in Bradley County. He was a Democrat, and both were Methodists. Our subject, the third of five children, was educated in Bradley County, and up to 1874 was a farmer. In 1875 he became a salesman at Carter, Campbell & Co., in the county, and in 1880 he engaged with Hutcheson & Coytee, Loudon County. The next year, he established a family grocery at Loudon, and five months later started up a country store in the Third District of Meigs County. After a year there, he sold goods at Euchee for sixteen months, and then at Ten Mile for fourteen months. From 1885 to 1886, he was on his farm in the Third District. In 1886 he ws elected, as a Republican, in a Democratic county (175 majority) for the office of county clerk, receiving 621 votes to 599 given to his opponent, A. C. Ewing. March 9, 1862,Elizabeth Roberts became his wife. She died August 27, 1872. March 14, 1873, he married Mrs. Mary S. (Gooch) Ball, but they separated in the following November, and in 1881 she died in Texas County, Mo. He became the husband of Jemima Nance, June 10, 1979, by whom he has become the father of five children. Four of his children are by his first wife. He is a Republican, and a Master Mason, joining the latter order in 1882.
William M. Hale, planter, was born August 18, 1840, in Hamilton County, the son of William and Elizabeth (Francis) Hale, the former a Virginian, and the latter a native of Roane County. The father, in 1840, three months before the birth of our subject, was drowned in the Mississippi River, at New Orleans, where he had gone to trade country produce for groceries, and the mother, about 1843, married Sanford Ritchey. She died in Chattanooga. Our subject, through hardship, secured himself an education, and began for himself at sixteen. In 1855 he went to Dallas Co., Mo., with his brother and worked on the latter's farm two years. In 1859 he returned to Hamilton County, Tenn., to farm again. In 1861 he enlisted in Company I, Nineteenth Tennessee Infantry, and took part at Fishing Creek (Ky.), Murfreesboro, Shiloh, Chickamauga, and other actions. He was wounded at the second place, and a, after Chickamauga, was detailed, under Gen. Pillow, in the conscription department. He was a lieutenant, and was the one who took the wounded Gen. Zollicoffer off the field. In May 1864, soon after returning home, he married Martha J. Garnderhire, who was born in Hamilton County about 1846. In 1864 he settle in Hamilton (now James) County, but has, since 1885, been at his present home. He is a Democrat, and has been successful in his career.
Martin A. Hardin, planter, was born in Blount County, August 29. 1835, the son of John P. and Naomi (Gash) Hardin, natives of North Carolina, the former of Irish stock, and born about 1792, and the latter born about 1808, of English- Irish lineage. They were married and lived in North Carolina about six years after, and they came to Blount County, where they died October 16, 1854, and May 8, 1843, respectively. The father, in early life, had been a miner, and also a merchant, and was successful in both, and also in farming to which he was devoted during his Tennessee residence. He was a Whig, and both were Methodists. Our subject, the fifth of seven children, was educated at Hiwassee College, Monroe County, and has been devoted to agricultural pursuits ever since. He bought a small farm in 1858, and August 26, brought to it a wife in the person of Mary F. Beal, of Carroll County, Ga. After ten years in Monroe County, he settled on his present farm in 1868, and at various times in life has been interested in the live stock trade, conveying horses and mules to the South, occasionally. He owns about 450 acres in Meigs and McMinn Counties. In 1885 he built a fine $2,000 residence. He has four sons and two daughters, two of the former deceased. Gen. William and Nancy Beal are the parents of his wife; the General served in the war of 1812, and was adjutant general of Georgia until his death. Our subject enlisted in September, 1862, in Company E, Fifty-Ninth Tennessee Infantry, was captured at Vicksburg, and imprisoned at Camp Morton, Ind., but was soon paroled. He was a democrat, and a Methodist, while his wife is a member of the Baptist Church.
W. Hodge, M. D., is a native of East Tennessee, and ws born in Sullivan County July 11, 1823. His parents were Francis and Priscilla (King) Hodge. The father was of Scotch-Irish descent, and the mother of English descent; both were natives of Sullivan County, Tenn. The parents were married in their native county, where they spent their lives. The father was by trade a wagon- maker, and wan old line Whig, and a worthy member of the Old School Presbyterian Church. The mother was a member of the same church. Our subject is one of seven children. He secured a liberal education in his youth at Bloutville, Sullivan County. After completing his education, he was engaged for two years in teaching school in Sullivan County, at Paperville. While teaching he read medicine under Dr. William Hammer, of Paperville. In 1846 he came to Decatur and commenced the practice of his profession, and since that date to present has followed this occupation. After he had practiced four years in Decatur, he went, in the fall of 1850, to the University of Pennsylvania, at Philadelphia, where he received his diplomas as Doctor of Medicine, having stood his examination on entering the graduating class. In October 7, 1847, he married Miss Evaline McCorkle, a native of Meigs County, and the daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth (Allison) McCorkle, deceased. To this union were born seven children, four daughters and three sons, three being dead, two sons and one daughter. Our subject is a Democrat, and a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. His wife is a member of the same church.
James M. Hornsby was born in Roane County, Tenn., March 30, 1831, and is the son of James and Eleanor (McCidy) Hornsby. The ancestors of the Hornsbys were from England. The father was born in Wake County, N. C., seven miles from Raleigh about October 25, 1792, and died in Roane County, Tenn., October 22, 1863. His father, William, moved with his family from North Carolina to Roane County, Tenn., when James as about sixteen, or about the year 1808. William Hornsby died in Rhea County. His occupation was that of a farmer, the same as James. James was very poor when he started, but before his death had accumulated a considerable amount of this world's goods. He was in the English and Creek war, or the war of 1812, for nearly two years. He was a Democrat, and a devout member of the Methodist Episcopal Church for many years. The ancestors of the McCidys were from Scotland and Ireland. Eleanor was born in South Carolina, in 1800, and is still living at the old homestead, in Roane County, Tenn. She, also, is a devout member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. There were twelve children in their family, six of them now living, and our subject is the fourth. His advantages for an education were poor, but he has been a great reader, and with practice has a good business education. He remained on his father's farm until his twenty-third year; and then went to Rhea County, and rented land for one year; then moved to Meigs County, and purchased 300 acres, that being his share out a large tract himself and brothers had purchased of the Gillespie estate. He has improved this land, and made it worth double the price paid for it. Just after the war, in 1866, he was elected justice of the peace for six years. He is a very active and enterprising man, a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, a Mason, and a Republican. On March 29, 1855, he married Martha L. Brady, who was born in Rhea County, Tenn., May 20, 1832, and died in Meigs County December 7, 1871. She was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. She ws the daughter of Farley and Elizabeth (Smith) Brady. There were six children to mourn her loss; they are Mary C., Ellen E., Margaret E., Martha J., Susan H. and Laura A. September 9, 1884, he married Martha J. Wasson, the widow of John Wasson. Deceased. She is the daughter of M. H. B. Burkett. She was born in Botetourt County, Va., in 1842. She is a Methodist.
Samuel Hutsell was born in Wythe County, Va., October 22, 1813, and is the son of John and Christina (Hounshell) Hutsell. John Hutsell, the father, was born in Shenandoah County, Va., and died in McMinn county, Tenn., at the advanced age of seventy-four years. He moved to McMinn County, Tenn., from Wytheville, Va., at an early date. He was a successful farmer, and was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. He was for two years in the war of 1812 and 1814, as fife player. Christina (Hounshell) Hutsell, the mother, was of German descent, was born in Wythe County, Va., died in McMinn County, Tenn., at the age of seventy-seven years, and was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. Our subject secured a good education at Wytheville, Va. After receiving his education he learned the brick-layer's and plaster's trades. In October, 1839 he moved to McMinn County, Tenn., and on Christmas day 1840, moved to Meigs County, Tenn., where he purchased land, and engaged in farming, but still continued working at his trade. On coming to Tennessee he was worth about $1,500, and is now worth $25,000, and has give his children $25,000. He made this by hard work and good management. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and is a Republican. On August 12, 1839, he married Mary Gibbony, who was born in County Tyrone, Ireland, February 2, 1820, the daughter of William and Jane Gibbony. She has an excellent education, and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. While on a visit to her relations in Virginia, from Ireland, our subject and she formed an acquaintance, and were engaged to be married, but both families objected to the union, so they ran away to Ashe County, N. C., and were married. This union was and has been, a very agreeable and happy one. It has resulted in a fine family of intelligent children; those living are Hester V., William W., Charles L., Samuel S., Jesse G., Anna A., Robert L. and David F.
Hon. W. H. King, a prominent farmer of the Sixth District, Meigs County, Tenn., was born near Kingston, Roane Co., Tenn., August 31, 1843, and is the son of John S. and Martha (Earnest) King. The father was of English-French descent, was a grandson of Gen. John Sevier, and was the son of Walter King, born in Roane County May 30, 1814, and died in Loudon Tenn., April 15, 1884. In early life he was engaged in farming. After 1870 and until his death he was circuit court clerk. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and was a Mason. He was the cousin of the lamented E. F. Sevier. On December 2, 1834, he was united in marriage with Martha Earnest, who was born about April 1, 1814, and died in Loudon, May 30, 1880. They were the parents of eight children - six of them now living. Our subject is the third of these. His education is good, and was obtained principally after the war. In 1861 he enlisted in Company I, of the First Tennessee Infantry (Union Army), and served until September 1864, with credit. He was at the battles of Mills Springs, Cumberland Gap, pursuit of Gen. Morgan in Ohio, Murfreesboro, Lexington, Ky., where his command was mounted, and where they did service until the Byrd and Sanders raid, in East Tennessee; then went to Mossy Creek and burned all the bridges to Knoxville; then went to Kentucky and did duty from July 1 until the latter part of August; then the regiment did duty as advance guard for Gen. Burnside, was stationed at Kingston, and was at the battle of Kingston, and from there did service until the following May; then was ordered to the front with Sherman in Georgia, and was in the fight of Atlanta; was there until the middle part of August; then moved to Knoxville, then to Nashville, and was discharged. He was never wounded, but at different times received bullet holes in his clothing. After the war he returned home, near Kingston and engaged in farming until elected register of Roane County at the January term of the county court, and served until the regular election in 1866; then was elected by the people for four years. He then moved to Loudon, engaged in farming, ws appointed deputy sheriff in 1876, and held the office for two years. Before this he was constable, or a collecting officer, for six years. In 1880 he came to Meigs County and purchased land, and has since been engaged in farming. In November, 1866, he was elected to represent James, Meigs and Rhea Counties in the Forty-fifth General Assembly. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, is a Mason, and a Republican. On November 27, 1867, he married Cynthia P. Fryer, who was born in Roane County, Tenn., May 25, 1847, and died in Meigs County, December 6, 1883. She was the daughter of H. J. and Irena Fryar. She was a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. This union resulted in the birth of six children, five of them now living: U. H., Charles W., Martha I., Ann M. and Nancy S.; John F. is deceased. On October 7, 1874, he married Sarah E. Foster, who was born in McMinn County, Tenn., October 12, 1839. She is the daughter of William and Nancy Foster. Her father was a native of Virginia, and the mother of Kentucky. The mother of our subject was a descendant of Gen. Joseph E. Warren, who was killed at Bunker Hill. He has an uncle who made a fine reputation as governor of Missouri before the war, and was in Congress several terms - Austin A. Kirk.
Col. Newton J. Lillard, merchant and farmer, was born in Decatur, April 18, 1832, the son of James and Mary (Sandusky) Lillard, both of Scotch-Irish stock, the former born in Virginia, March 1795, and deceased near Decatur, December 17, 1875, and the latter born in Cocke County, Tenn., about August 3, 1803, and deceased in December, 1878. They were married about February 16, 1818, in Cocke County, and after about three year's residence in Missouri they settled in Rhea (now Meigs) County, Tenn., where the father was a successful farmer. He was a Democrat, and both he and his wife were members of the Missionary Baptist Church. Our subject belongs to a large family, was educated at Decatur, and reared as a merchant. He was nine months in the Mexican war service, as a private in company B, Fifth Tennessee Volunteers. In Mary, 1861, he enlisted in Company I, Third Tennessee Infantry, of which he was captain a year later, and, at reorganization, lieutenant-colonel. From October, 1863, to the close he was colonel. He was at Manassas (first battle) Bulls Gap, Knoxville, Tazewelll, Cumberland Gap, Morristown and Vicksburg, where he was captured with Pemberton's forces, was paroled, and in the fall was exchanged. He then reorganized his regiment at Decatur, Ga., and after operating in East Tennessee, surrendered at Washington, Ga., May 7, 1865. For two years thereafter he engaged in farming, but since then has been in the mercantile trade and farming in Decatur. September 22 1866, Elma C. Worth, born in North Carolina in 1845, became his wife. They have six sons. He is a Democrat, was circuit court clerk for twelve years; has been clerk and master for four years. Mrs. Lillard is a member of the Methodist Church.
Capt. James R. Moore was born was born in Meigs County, Tenn., October 29, 1847, and is the son of Caleb and Lavina E. (Prigmore) Moore. The ancestors of the Moore family came from Ireland, Scotland and Wales. The father of Caleb Moore, it is thought , came from Ireland and settled in Anderson County, Tenn. Caleb was born in Anderson County, Tenn., about 1812, and died in Meigs County, Tenn., in 1863. He came to McMinn County, in 1830, but after six years moved to Meigs , where he remained, and was engaged in the mercantile business, also farming, and was in partnership with Jacob Peake. After moving to Meigs, in 1847, he was elected to represent the people of Meigs and Rhea Counties in the Legislature, and was for a number of years director of the Bank of Tennessee, at Athens. He was a Democrat. The first money he made was by building flat-boats on the French Broad River. About 1833 he married Lavina E. Prigmore, who was the daughter of Thomas Prigmore, a well-known citizen of McMinn County, who was of French descent. Lavina was born in McMinn County, Tenn., about 1812, and died in Meigs in 1861. They had nine children, six of them now living. Our subject was the second of these. He secured a liberal education at home schools; at the age of fourteen years he went to work in his father's store and continued for five years, and then formed a partnership with his brother, William P., at Moore's Cross Roads and at Getty's Mills, two establishments, about four years then enlisted in Capt. Boggess' Company, Twenty-sixth Tennessee Regiment Infantry (Confederate), but after the battle of Murfreesboro was transferred to Company H, of the Third Tennessee Cavalry, and for two and one-half years was adjutant but before the close of the war he was made captain. He was at the battle of Chickamauga on the campaign from Chattanooga to Atlanta; was at Saltville, Va., at Bentonville, Ga., and in numerous skirmishes in North Carolina and South Carolina, and surrendered at North Carolina to Sherman in April, 1865. He had enlisted in the spring of 1862. After the war he engaged in farming, which he has continued until the present. In 1882 he was elected trustee of Meigs County, and in 1884 was re-elected. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, is a Mason, and a Democrat.
John P. Moulton was born in Meigs County, Tenn., near Ten Mile Stand, August 5, 1834, and is the son of Noble N. and Mary (Peoples) Moulton. The Moulton ancestors were from Ireland. Noble N. was born in Hawkins County, Tenn., in the year 1806, and died in Meigs County, Tenn., October 15, 1862. He moved ot Meigs County, Tenn., from Hawkins Country, in the year 1830. His father was William Moulton. The ancestors of the Peoples' were Irish. Mary was born in Sullivan County, Tenn., in the year 1806, and died in Meigs County, Tenn., December 24, 1855. John Peoples lived and died in Sullivan County, Tenn. There were eleven children, only three of whom are now living. Our subject is the second of these. He worked on his farmer's farm until November, 1860, when he bought the farm he now lives on, consisting of 179 acres, but has added a farm in Rhea County of 309 and 140 acres in the Eighth District. The latter part of 1862 he enlisted in Capt. John's Company, Maj. Frank Welker's battalion, made up of four companies of the Confederate service, and was in active service about one year. After coming home, while eating supper, he was shot by some unknown person. The ball entered his back, struck a rib, and glanced around and came out at his breast. Since the war he has turned his attention exclusively to farming. He is a very active and enterprising man. He is a member of the Baptist Church, and is a Democrat. August 27, 1857, he married Mary Brady, who was born in Rhea County, Tenn., August 20, 1835, and died in Meigs county, Tenn., January 28, 1885. She was the daughter of Farley and Elizabeth (Smith) Brady. She was a devout member of the Baptist Church for many years. She left six children to mourn her loss; Farley N., John W., Martha C., Harriet M., Smith B. and Chrissey C. Before this she had two children: Sarah E. and Mary M., who died.
Jasper N. Moulton, sheriff, was born in Meigs County, December 30, 1839, the son of Nobel N. and Mary (Peoples) Moulton, natives of East Tennessee, the former born January 22, 1806, and died October 15, 1862, and the latter September 26, 1806, and died December 24, 1855. The parents were married in Sullivan County, October 15, 1829, and the following year came to Rhea (now Meigs) County, where he was a prominent farmer for over thirty years, and a Democrat. Our subject, one of a large family, was educated in Meigs County, and was a farmer until elected to his present office. In June 1861, he left school and enlisted in Company I, Third Tennessee Infantry, and joined Gen. Joseph Johnston's forces, but in the early part of 1862 our subject was off duty at home, twenty-five days, in ill health, and then returned to his regiment at Chattanooga. He remained until June, 1864, and again visited home, and after fruitless attempts to rejoin his regiment I Georgia, he took the oath of amnesty and never re-entered service. He was captured at Vickburg's fall, was paroled, and in the autumn exchanged, returning to his command at Cleveland, Tenn. He was in many important actions - the first Manassas, and Perrysville, (Ky) among the number. In April, 1883, he became the incumbent of his present office, to fill an unexpired term. He is a Democrat, and in 1884 was re-elected over John Williams (Republican) but in 1886 he had no opposition. August 30, 1864, he married Martha J. Curton, born July 22, 1841, in this county. They have one son and three daughters. He is a Democrat, and he, his wife and two daughters are Methodists.
Hon. W. C. Peak was born in the Second District of McMinn County, Tenn., March 7, 1832, and is the son of Jacob and Kesiah (Prigmore) Peak. The father was of Dutch descent and was born in Anderson County, Tenn., in 1801, and died in Meigs in 1879. He moved to McMinn County when young, and settled on a farm. In 1835-1837 he was made captain of a company, and engaged in moving the Indians form the lands of the Ocoee and Hiwassee Purchases. He moved to Meigs, or his family did, in 1836 or 1837, while he was in the army, and settled at a place called Ten Mile, afterward moved to the Sixth District, and bought a farm and remained until his death. He was a Democrat. The mother was of French descent, was born in McMinn County, Tenn., in 1816, and died in Meigs County in the early part of 1862. She was a member of the Missionary Baptist Church. Our subject is the third of ten children, only four of whom are now living. At the age of eighteen years he began for himself at Sewee with T. B. McElwee for a partner, and the style of the firm was Peak & McElwee. After about five years he bought out his partner, and the firm name was S. W. & J. S. Peak. They moved to Pinhook, after about five years, or in 1861, his brother died; then the war interfered, and he quit business until 1867 when he engaged again in the mercantile business with John A. Brown (now deceased); the firm name was Peak & Brown until the death of Brown about 1874. He then went in business with S J. Hornsby, and his son L. L. Peak; the firm name was then Peak, Hornsby & co. In 1855 the son went out and then the firm became Peak & Hornsby. They carry from $5,000 to $6,000 worth of goods in stock. In connection with his store he is also engaged in farming. In 1860 he was elected to represent Meigs, McMinn and Polk counties in the Legislature, but never me on account of the war. In 1872 he was elected to represent Meigs, Rhea, James and Cumberland in the Legislature; is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South; is a Mason and a Democrat. January 4, 1855, he married Nancy P. Matlock, who was born in Meigs County, Tenn., December 29, 1836, and is the daughter of William and Sarah (Dodson) Matlock. She is a member of Methodist Episcopal Church South. This union was resulted in the birth of eleven children, eight oh of whom are now living; Luke L., Savanna E., Adelia K., Adah D., Louella, Thomas C., Addie L., Wilbur B., Milvile C., Jacob S., Sallie P., Adah D., Louella and Thomas C. are dead. Our subject has been appointed notary public.
T. J. Peak, farmer, was born near his present location, April 18, 1843, and is the son of Luke and Malinda (Prigmore) Peak. The Peaks are of Irish descent. Luke Peak it is thought was born in Anderson County, Tenn., August 25, 1807, and died in Meigs county, Tenn., September 29, 1863. He was a successful farmer and merchant. When in Anderson County he learned the tanner's trade, which he worked at until his thirtieth year, when he moved to Meigs county, where he was engaged in farming and merchandising at Pinhook Landing. He afterward moved to the Sixth District and made that place his home the remainder of his life. While in Anderson County he was elected general of the State Militia, and was elected in Meigs county, sheriff ten or twelve years. He secured a good practical education by observation, and was a Democrat. Malinda was born near Loudon, Tenn., January 17, 1814, is still living and is making her home with our subject. She is a member of the Baptist church. There were eight children, five of whom are living. Our subject is the eldest living. He was educated at Sewee Academy, which education was cut short by the war. In September, 1861, he enlisted in Capt. A. F. Boggess' company of col. John M. Lillard's regiment, or the Twenty-sixth Tennessee Infantry, Confederate service, and served with credit until the close, in the western division of the army. He was at the battles of Fort Donelson, Murfreesboro, Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge, Lookout Mountain, and in the famous retreat from Dalton to Atlanta, but while at Dalton was transferred to Company B, of the Fifth Tennessee Cavalry, Capt. Blythe in command. While with the cavalry he ws in skirmishes every day until the surrender in North Carolina in April 18665. At Fort Donelson he was taken prisoner, and retained as such at Camp Morton, Indianapolis, Ind., for about seven months, when he was exchanged and came home and reorganized. After the war he returned to Anderson County and farmed for four years, then moved to Meigs and lived on the old homestead, and after one year moved to the Second District on the Hiwassee River, and after one year moved back to the home place, and a year later bought the farm he now lives on, but in the meantime had purchased land in Anderson County, and has since sold both. He had a very good start, which he has greatly increased. He is a Mason, and is a Democrat. In 1884 he ws elected Justice of the peace. On January 5, 1869, he married Lena D. Sharp, who was born in Meigs County, January 19, 1850. She is the daughter of David and Jane (Boggess) Sharp. She is a member of the Baptist church. This union has resulted in the birth of seven children, all of whom are living; Brisbon F., Charles J., Mary E. Malinda, Thomas E., Luke and Frank D.
Thomas J. Robinson is a native of East Tennessee, and was born in Rhea County, September 3, 1846. His parents were James and Elizabeth (Earnest) Robinson, both partly of Dutch descent, and natives of Tennessee, the father of Washington County, and the mother of Greene County. The father's ancestors originally came from Virginia, and were among the first settlers of Washington County. The father was born in 1805, and died in Rhea County about 1883. The mother was born in 1810, and is still living, a resident of Rhea County. The parents were married in Greene County about 1829. Soon after their marriage they settled in Washington County. About 1843 they came to Rhea County, and made a permanent settlement. The father was engaged in agricultural pursuits. He was a Democrat, and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. The mother is a member of the same church. Our Subject is the sixth of nine children. He was mainly educated at Sulphur Springs, Rhea County. In 1875 he purchased the property where he now lives, but did not settle on the farm until 1880. His farm lies in what is known as the Lock's Bend of the Tennessee River, and is perhaps as good a farm as there is in Meigs county. In the fall of 1884 he built a very attractive residence at a cost of over $2,000. Mr. Robinson has been a live, progressive business man. October 26, 1870, he married Miss Martha E. Heiskell, daughter of Luther and Ellen Heiskell, of Rhea County. She is a native of Missouri, and was born in that State in 1854. This union has resulted in four children, two sons and two daughters. Our subject is a Democrat. In the fall of 1863 he entered the Confederate service, enlisting in Company B, Forty-third Tennessee Regiment, and served with credit the remainder of the war in Gen. Vaughn's Brigade. He was paroled at Kingston, Ga., in the spring of 1865.
Mathew B. Stewart was born where he now lives, about fifty years ago, November 30, 1837. His parents were John and Lettie (Tillery) Stewart. The father was a native of Maryland, and was born in that State September 25, 1792, and died in Meigs County May 12, 1874. The mother was born in Knox County, Tenn., November 7, 1800, and died in Meigs County May 29, 1864. The parents were married in Knox county about 1820, and about 1822 they came to Meigs County, and were consequently among the first settlers. They died where our subject now lives. The father drove the first stage that made the trip between Knoxville and Nashville, and this was his calling at the time of his marriage. After he came to Meigs County he gave his attention exclusively to farming. He was a Democrat. Our subject is one of fourteen children, only five of whom are now living. Farming has been his chief occupation. He came in possession of the old homestead in 1874. Our subject has been twice married, first, April 27, 1864, to Miss Mary C. Lewty, a native of Meigs county, and born at Decatur in 1842; she died September 29, 1865, and September 18, 1866, he married Miss Sarah A. Taff, a native of Meigs County, born October 30, 1838. There were no children by the first marriage, but by the second there were ten children, seven sons and three daughters. Our subject is a decided Democrat, and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. Both wives were members of same church. Our subject entered the Confederate service in the fall of 1861, enlisting in Company I, Third Tennessee Regiment of Infantry. N. J. Lillard was captain of the company, and John C. Vaughn colonel of the regiment. Our subject was captured at Vicksburg, and exchanged the following September at Decatur, when he went home on detail and was taken sick, and remained at home until next July. He took part in the siege of Vicksburg, ws at Baker Hill, and returned home in May, 1865, and resumed farming.
Return to Meigs County Home Page