Home Page

The Booneville Pleader

September 24, 1926

Submitted by Julia Taylor


R.L. George was born October 9th, 1846 in McNairy County, Tennessee.

He enlisted in the Confederate Alabama, with Capt. Bob Damons, Co. F., Col. Jeff Forestís Regiment, Bellís Brigade, Blufordís Division.

His first actual service was at Bear Creek where they were engaged in burning bridges and tearing up railroads. They made a stand at Cherokee, Alabama, had a skirmish and fell back about two miles, then threw all their forces in a skirmish line and kept falling back to Little Bear Creek where they made another stand, with Col. Forest wounded and one man killed. They were reinforced by Gen. Leeís troops that night. Next they went to the mountains where they got in behind the enemy and found them falling back to Eastport. They put in the balance of the summer helping out the recruits from West Tennesse.

On Christmas Eve, Mr. George and three other boys were on a scouting party following (as they thought) army on May 1st, 1863, at Cherokee, eight Yankees, but which proved to be 48. To have a little fun, they charged them but had to fall back. George was thrown from his horse, was taken prisoner and then shot in the shoulder. They left him at Savannah, Tennessee. The next day his father came and carried him home. Upon receiving news that the Yankees were coming after him, from Glendale, he was tied to a horse and his sister started with him to Pleasant Site, Alabama. They got through safely by crossing Yellow Creek on the ice. He remained at Pleasant Site until the following spring, when he went back to his company.

The next combat was at Crumpís Landing. Two Yankees were seen on horseback and George and his party charged. The Yanks took them for their own men and stood still and the scouting party captured a man apiece-11 in all. Mr. George and one of his comrades captured the two on horseback and the others took those behind them. The balance of the enemy pursued them and they lost all of their prisoners and one of their own men.

The next engagement worthy of mention was at Fort Piller. The Yanks gave up the first fort about the middle of the day. The rebels crept up to the second fort and General Forest sent in a flag of truce. He received word back that they asked no quarters nor would they show any. The walls were scaled and the flag pulled down and the white men gave up. The gunboats that were aiding the Yanks moved up the river.

Next his company went to Pontotoc and entertained the Yanks while General Forest went to Memphis. He was in the Harrisburg fight. They had a fight with the Yankees the evening before the big Harrisburg battle and lost about twenty men. The next morning, both sides constructed breastworks of rails. General Lee took command of his detachment and ordered them over the breastworks. They drove in the Yankee skirmish line. Three times they charged and three times they were driven back. His company was in with about 60 men and came out with about 20. When the roll was called Col. Nuser and Col. Wisdem were wounded and Major Meeks was killed. Captain Bob Damons was the only commissioned officer left.

They were then ordered back to the Tennessee River where they were engaged in scouting the river and West Tennessee.

Mr. George was not with the main army anymore until winter, when at Fort Hindman they attempted to capture a boat and failed. Next day they moved up to the mouth of Big Sandy, captured a steamboat and gunboat which they moved up to Johnsonville where they were burned. They threw a pontoon across the river there, but the river was rising and the pontoon was broken. Mr. George and Mr. Ashby, who were on picket duty, were forgotten during the excitement and left to shift for themselves. In trying to get out they were captured, but the second night they made their escape. Mr. George got back to Purdy, Tennessee, where he met Col. Wisdem, and asked him for a pass. He was told to go on home and do the best he could as he (Col. Wisdem) thought the war was over. Later Mr. George met Col. Damons who said he was not going to give up as he had learned that the Yanks were not going to show them any quarters. Later a truce was arranged and Capt. Damons got his company together and went to Corinth where they were paroled.

Mr. George was united in marriage Dec. 31st, 1873 to Miss Mollie Pickens. To this union were born 11 children, all of whom are living and all are married except one.

Mr. George bears his age well-doesnít look a day over 65 and is still spry. We enjoyed our talk with this old veteran who remembers the incidents of the war well, although he had forgotten many of the dates. Many of the grizzled fighters of the sixties have quit work, but not so with Mr. George. He will continue on until the end or until such time as he can no longer till the soil. He says he would rather wear out than rust out.

R.L. George was born October 9th, 1846 in McNairy County, Tennessee.

If you would like to contribute to this site please send me Email