McNairy Co., TN
Robert C. Houston remained in McNairy County,
Tennessee. In 1822 he married Rebecca Chambers,
daughter of Sam Chambers. This Samuel Chambers was a
brother of "White House" John Chambers who lived a
little north of where Acton is now located. His unusual
title was given to him because of his white house and to
distinguish him from a kinsman and contemporary of the
same name. For many years his home was known as the
"White House" place. The Chambers family came to
McNairy County from Giles County before the Houstons.
Samuel Chambers had two daughters, Mary who married
Henry R. Sharp and Elizabeth who married John N.
Barnhill. Samuel Chambers also had two sons, John and
Sam. Sam was the father of S.T. Chambers.
Robert C. and Rebecca Chambers Houston lived near what
is now the Mt. Vernon Church. It was here that Houston
constructed his first home, a one-room log hut, in the
midst of a dense wilderness. Lacking tools and
materials with which to make a shutter for the door of
this rude habitation, they used quilts and blankets to
cover the entrance. His wife lived and "kept house"
much of the time alone by night as well as by day,
braving and literally fighting the wolves to keep them
away from poultry and pigs, while Robert C. Houston
cultivated their first crop on land several miles away.
Later he established their permanent home a short
distance south of that point. This home was later
referred to as the George Houston place.
Robert C. Houston was one of the original members of the
Mt. Vernon Cumberland Presbyterian Church, the first
church of that faith in the county. He was a Whig in