(excerpt from McMinn Heritage Book)
Wesleyanna Methodist Church is located eight miles from Athens off Hwy 30 on County Road 607. On 27 Jul 1859, C.E. Montcastle wrote a deed to seven trustees of Wesleyanna Methodist Church South. They were: J. A. Long, Thomas Melton, Hugh Studdard, W. R. Long, Nathan Melton, C. E. Montcastle, and R. F. Melton. Rev. Carroll Long was pastor from Oct 9, 1861 until Oct 7, 1863. The next pastor appointment was not until Sep 14, 1865. The cemetery, which is located directly across the road from the church, was started soon after the church, although the inscription on the marker of Mary A., daughter of William and Permelia Glaze, is the earliest date.
Class members in 1865: Hugh Studdard, Alsey Studdard, Martha Studdard, and Mary Ann Ladd, William W. Mulkey, Elizabeth C. Mulkey, Alfred Barker, Elizabeth Barker, Susan Barker, Margaret Melton, Lewallen C. Moss, Tabitha Studdard, Jane Studdard, Mary Studdard, William Studdard, Martha J. Bookout, George W. Bookout, William Lockmiller, Eliza Lockmiller, Hannah E. Lockmiller, Ambrose L. Williams, Martha Williams, Cornelia Glaze, Nancy E. McKinney, Catherine Brown, Eve Vandergriff, C. Massengale, Henderson Massengale, Nancy A. Low, Isaac Blankenship, Martha Proffitt, Sara L. Proffitt, James H. Bookout, John Bookout, Sr., Abel Wilson, Elizabeth Wilson, Catharine J. Wilson, Elizabeth Massengale, James Ladd, C.T. Brown, Robert W. Bookout, Jane Massengale, John Lockmiller, Henry Harrison Glaze, Mahala H. Barker, Elizabeth Long, Alice E. Long, Carrol S. Long, Sarah Long, Nancy Long, John Long, Ema H. Long, and Nathan Melton.
This TNGenWeb Project website is hosted by USGenNet, a nonprofit web-hosting service solely supported by tax-deductible donations. If this website has provided you with useful information, please consider making a donation to USGenNet to help keep websites like this online.