This material was prepared by:

Maudie Mae "Doolie" Stanton Vaughn

She passed away 18 January 1985

Return To:  McMinn Co. Web Genealogy Project
Subbmitted by: Vanessa Stanton Butler

Dooley was my Aunt, and for 12 to 14 years, she devoted many hours in research, writing letters and gathering pictures. She had the cost of postage, photocopies and travel as well as telephone calls. Dooley had a great love for family and this has been a labor of love.

For those of us who treasure the stories handed down about our Stanton family, the following will be greatly enjoyed.

(written by Harold Stanton)

The Stanton Story

Lewis Stanton, Jr., son of Lewis Stanton, Sr. and Elizabeth Smith Stanton, was born 24 July 1816, either in N. C. or Tenn., the l850 census says Tenn. He died 20 Nov. 1885, in McMinn Co., Tenn., in the Clearwater Community, where he had lived most of his life. He is buried in an abandoned cemetery where Bruce Henry's farm was located. Near the cemetery there once was a post office called Cisco. This old burial site was once called the Morrison Burial Grounds. His father, Lewis Stanton, Sr., born 1772 in Virginia, and his mother, Elizabeth Smith Stanton, born 1780 in N.C., are also buried at Morrison Burial Grounds.

Lewis, Jr. married first about 1836 to Artisimia "Artie" Power. We think Lewis, Jr. may have married Artie in Alabama as there is no record of the marriage in McMinn County, Tenn. in an old Bible, in the hands of a granddaughter in Oklahoma, is written, Artie Power born in Alabama". We think the Stantons were in Alabama for a few years, as they are not found in the 1840 Tenn. census.

Artisimia Power (her name has been spelled so many ways; Artisemia Articena, Artisimmia) was born ca 1822. She died Aug. 1879 and is buried at the Morrison Burial Grounds. There was a Holloway Power who was a Revolutionary War soldier out of S.C., and who may have been the father of our Holloway Power.

We believe both Lewis, Jr. and Artie were of the Methodist faith. The old records of Tranquility Methodist Church were burned in the house of the secretary of the church so we do not know when Lewis became a member. If Lewis, Jr. was in the wars, we have no record of it. He was too young for the War of 1812, and as for the Mexican conflict there surely would have been some record had he fought.

Lewis, Jr. was a strong unionist during the War between the States which must have been hard for him as Confederates were in control here in McMinn County in the early years of that war. He was constantly harrassed by the Confederate Conscriptors and shot the horse from under one who came to his home trying to force him into the Confederate Army.

He was very inventive and it is said that he made a tobacco press for making chewing tobacco. He grew his own and added flavoring in the form of licorice and pressed it into sheets then cut into plugs. We know he had vices such as his tobacco and whiskey. In those days most people kept whiskey for medicinal purposes. He probably used it for purposes other than medicine as it is said that he had a yearly supply of whiskey distilled at one of the public distilleries. I don't suppose he drank to excess or I have never heard of it and he was much loved and respected by his children.

Artisimia, or Artie, had quite a good education for her day and she taught her children. She knew music and taught each child to play several musical instruments, mostly string. One of her sons, John Franklin Stanton, played horn in a brass band as well as a grandson she raised. Another son played in this but what instrument he played is unknown. Another son, Lewis Holloway Stanton, played violin and this band played at many functions in three counties. Rhea Springs in Rhea County, now covered by the waters of Watts Bar Lake, was a sort of Spa with people coming from all over to drink and bathe in the waters of the mineral springs. Since a large hotel was built to accommodate the guests, there were dances and musicals for their entertainment. The Stanton boys played there many times. For many years after the Civil War, Decoration Day was a big celebration with people placing flowers and flags on the soldiers' graves and the band played on those occasions.

One time well remembered by the children of Lewis, Jr. was the time the band rode their horses to Madisonville to play for commencement exercises at Hiwassee College. Whittle Springs, near Knoxville, was owned by a cousin in those days and the Stanton boys played for dances there. When Simon Stanton went west, the band broke up, as Simon was the leader.

Artisimia knew some medicine and doctored her neighbors as well as her own family. Her grandson, LeAnder Stanton, said she studied medicine. She is said to have known some Greek so she probably had some training in her early years. She must have been a fairly good nurse as she raised ten children and three grandchildren. There is no record that she lost a child. All her children lived to be quite old with the exception of Lucinda. She did beautiful needle work and knit beautiful things. Some of her work is still in existence and kept by her descendants.

When her son, John Franklin, married Mary Ann Wattenbarger there was some fear on the part of Mary Ann as to how she would fit into a family so different from her own. The Wattenbargers were Methodists but Mary Ann's mother was a

John Franklin Stanton and Mary Ann Wattenbarger Stanton

devout Baptist and reared her children in that faith. Mary Ann's grandfather, Jonathan Thomas, had given the land for the Baptist Church called "Rogers Creek". Here Mary Ann, her brothers and sisters attended faithfully. She was reared very strict. There was morning Bible reading and prayer as well as evening family worship. Such things as music outside the church and dancing were very sinful to her. Drinking of whiskey or other intoxicating drinks was unheard of in her home. However, Artie loved Mary Ann and made her feel so welcome she came to adjust to the Stanton ways.

On one occasion while visiting at her in-laws, all the boys gathered and were playing their instruments and one granddaughter was dancing. Mary Ann was shocked. Artie gave her some advice, "If you do not want this sort of thing in your home, do not let it start". So it was never allowed in John and Mary's home. Grandpa John never played his violin in the home on Sunday as Grandma Mary remarked, "The devil may not be in the fiddle but he is not far away from it". She did make one concession; she joined Grandpa John's church, Tranquility Methodist, and was a faithful member although I believe her heart was still at Rogers Creek Baptist.

After Artisimia died, Lewis, Jr. had one daughter still single. She was named Artisimia also. She took care of her father and the household. Lewis, Jr. had a white linen coat he wore to church on Sunday. This coat had to be washed and starched each week. He started looking for a new wife, and had his eye on a young widow who attended the same church as Lewis, Jr. and his daughter, Artisimia or Teen" as she was called. Teen did not like this as it hurt her to see her father courting the young widow. She talked it over with her father and they made an agreement that she would go to church one Sunday and he would go the next, one of them staying home while the other went to church. One special Sunday which was Lewis, Jr's turn to go, Teen wanted to go very badly. She worked a scheme to keep her father at home. She washed his white linen coat and starched it so stiffly that he could hardly get it on. He decided it was just too stiff to wear and Teen got to go to church. Of course, all the starch and trickery did not prevent his marriage to the young widow who was about 27 years younger than he.

Many stories have been told down through the years that I would like to record. I hope the reader will take into consideration that I have very little formal education and my spelling and punctuation are terrible.

One story is as follows: The last child born to Lewis, Jr. and Artie was during the Civil War. This being their tenth child, I suppose they had just about exhausted names and he was called Little Yankee soon shortened to Yank. He was to grow up to become a doctor.

During the war there were shortages of everything. Bands of soldiers came through the country taking food, horses, and everything they could carry away with them. There was no salt, coffee, or so to be had at any price. Even kerosene for the lamps and candles could not be purchased. One night, Artie was knitting socks by the light of the fire in the fireplace. Pine knots, rich in resin, were used to make a bright light. She remarked, "Someone throw another pine knot on the fire, 'I've dropped a stitch". Little Yank got down on the floor and started scratching around. "What in the world are you doing", his sister asked. "I was hunting mammy's stitch she dropped, he replied. He got a lot to teasing about this.

When Yank was about six years old and having heard his grandfather's stories about George Washington, he decided to name himself George Washington Stanton, so that became his name.

Uncle George always wanted to be a doctor and worked hard to become one. He was a faithful healer of the sick, deeply religious and since he had little to doctor with in his day, he prayed a lot. One time during the typhoid epidemic, he hardly went to bed for weeks. He was constantly on the road tending to the sick and dying. He would go to sleep in his buggy and his old horse would find the way home. Aunt Emma, hearing the buggy pull into the barnyard, would find Uncle "Doc" asleep. He was a member of Buttrams Chapel Methodist Church and after moving into town he attended the Old Allen Memorial Methodist Church where he sang in the choir. He had a great sense of humor and loved a good story. He was tall and skinny with protruding ears. My mother used to say, "In a strong wind his ears could almost carry him away like wings".

Uncle George loved antiques and had refinished many old pieces of furniture that had belonged to his parents. When his house caught on fire he kept going back into the smoke filled rooms trying to save some of his furniture. He was overcome with smoke and was never well again. He could have had a fine home but he chose to live among the people who needed him. He had many small rent houses and during the "Depression" he let people live in them rent free, and as far as I know he never sent a bill to anyone.

Lucinda Elizabeth Stanton was the first child of Lewis, Jr. and Artisimia Power Stanton. She married when quite young and had several children. When she was expecting her last child, she went to the well to draw some water. The well was equipped with a windlass and somehow the handle slipped from her hand and spinning rapidly, it struck her in the side. This injury caused her death. She left quite a large family and Lewis, Jr. and Artie took them in to rear. Their father married again to my grandmother Boyd's sister, Roxie Ann Hyde. The older children resented their stepmother and continued living with their Stanton grandparents.

Sitha Retta, called Ritter, was the second child of Lewis Jr.,and Artie. She and her sister, Phoebe Ellen, were so mischievous they were called "NIP" and "Tuck". When Ritter was old enough to marry her parents had sort of "picked" a husband for her but Ritter had other ideas. The Loughinillers, later called Lockmillers, lived near the Stantons. Mr. Lockmiller was a surveyor and farmer and was at one time sheriff of McMinn County. He had a son, Judson.

Ritter and Judson had been courting on the sly but her parents thought Ritter was going to marry the boy of their choosing. The date was set for Ritter's wedding so Ritter knew she and Judson had to do something quickly or she would marry the man she didn't love: One day she and Judson made plans for an elopement. Ritter pretended to be ill with what was then called the "summer complaint". We call it diarrhea now. Ritter was upstairs and when it became night, she started throwing her clothes out the window. She would come down pretending to be going to the outside "john. She was taking her clothes to a patch of woods near the road. After she had everything she needed, she quickly dressed and Judson came riding by on his horse. Ritter jumped on behind him and they eloped and were married. All was forgiven and Judson and Ritter lived on her father's place in a small house until her two children were born. The war came along and the Confederate Conscriptors came to force Judson to join their forces. He refused and was beaten so badly he knew they would eventually kill him. He decided to walk to Kentucky where he could join the union forces. The last Ritter saw of him, he came back for his coat, she handed his coat out the window to him and kissed him goodbye. He made it to Kentucky and took a harvest job bundling oats. He was bitten by either a poisonous spider or snake. He dies and was buried somewhere in Kentucky. A Mr. Crittenden came back after the war and told Ritter of his death. She had a deep hatred for the Confederates and said she would despise a democrat as long as she lived because of what they did to her husband.

Ritter's brother, William Stanton, was best friend of Isaac Large. William was three years younger than Ritter. William was working on steamboats hauling freight on the Tenn. River when the war broke out. He and Isaac decided to go to Kentucky and join the Union forces. They slipped throught the Confederate lines at Cumberland Gap and joined-at Flat Lick, Kentucky. After the war was over and both came back home, Ritter married Isaac Large and they had two sons. She had a daughter and son by Judson Lockmiller. Ritter was the grandmother of Ruth Lockmiller Snyder who taught school at McMinn High School. Ruth married her cousin, Ray Snyder, Isaac and Ritter decided to go to Texas and sold their farm to her brother, John (my grandfather) and went by train to somewhere in Texas. On the way, their trunk containing most of their clothes and all their family pictures, was lost. They didn't stay in Texas very long and came back to McMinn County where they bought a farm where Arthur Wade now lives. The old house, or rather part of it is still standing. Isaac is buried in a private cemetery near their old house.

After William Mongomery (Montgomery) Stanton, third child of Lewis, Jr. and Artie, came home from the war he married Samantha Paralee Monroe, the granddaughter of Rev. George Monroe. William and "Sam", as she was called, went to Holden, Missouri. They lived there several years. This part of the country was pretty wild as the James boys lived in that area and gangs of outlaws roamed the county. William sold out and moved to Selma, Kansas where he and his two sons farmed and ranched. After "Sam" died and one of his sons having gone to Montana, William went live with the son and died in Montana at the age of 95 years. He was buried in Kansas.

He only came back to Tennessee once after leaving here. Aunt Louisa was only a small girl at the time he visited Tennessee. She told me she would never forget how her father, John, and his brother, William, cried when they saw each other after so many years and how they embraced each other. She said that it frightened her, as she had never seen her father cry.

When Uncle William was in his eighties, he would ride his horse, put his hat on the ground and would gallop past, bending over and pick up his hat. He and Uncle "Doc" loved cars and they each bought a Ford as soon as they were available. Uncle "Doc's" son was one of the first persons killed in an automobile accident in McMinn County. He was killed near where L.W.Wattenbarger's store is now.

Phoebe Ellen was the fourth child of Lewis, Jr. and Artie. She was in love with Joseph Sliger, a Confederate and a democrat, which didn't set too well with her parents, but the Sligers were good Methodists. After Joseph came back from Vicksburg (he had been so ill from the siege he was paroled rather than taken prisoner), he and Phoebe Ellen were married and settled near Brush Creek where they farmed and reared a large family. They also reared a grandson, son of their daughter who died when he was a baby.

The fifth child of Lewis, Jr. and Artie was James Kelsey Stanton. He married Mary Elizabeth Frye and after his marriage, he lived In Meigs and Rhea Counties. After 1880, he and Mary Elizabeth and family went to Oklahoma. Some of their children went to Idaho and Washington. Two of the sons went to Alberta, Canada and homesteaded wheat farms. While there they married sisters, Canadian girls of English descent. They eventually came back to Washington State where their descendants live now.

My grandfather, John Franklin, was the fifth child of Lewis, Jr. and Artie Stanton. He was 26 years old when he married my grandmother, Mary Ann Wattenbarger. He was not a strong man, being plagued with asthma all his life, but he and Mary Ann worked hard and accumulated quite a bit of real estate and saved some money. Grandpa loved people and he would be very disappointed if he didn't have guests for Sunday dinner. He had a great sense of humor and loved to play jokes on his friends and relatives. He farmed and raised stock for years. He had a contract with an eastern buyer to send stock to him. Grandpa rode all over the county buying cattle and horses to be shipped by rail to the buyer. One time he bought the smallest scrawniest donkey he could find put it in with a shipment of fine horses in the stock car. When the train got to its destination, the buyer was there. Out trotted the donkey. It is said the man really laughed and remarked, "I don't have to ask where that shipment came from" He knew Grandpa's brand of humor.

He later had a country general store and it was a joy to go see our grandparents on Sunday. Grandpa would take us down to the store and we could pick out the kind of candy we wanted. He and grandma only had four children; Uncle Lewis, Dad, Aunt Julia and Aunt Louisa. Uncle Lewis and dad worked very hard as little boys. They had little time for play and on rainy days they made toys, of a sort, in Grandpa's shop near the barn. They each had a rifle and would hunt every chance they got. They slept in a room built off the back porch and having to get up at 4:00 in the morning, they were always off to bed at an early hour. There was a man in the neighborhood that had treated some of the young people in the neighborhood pretty badly. In fact, he was kind of a grouch. One Halloween night, dad and Lewis went to bed early and when they knew their parents were asleep, they slipped out of the house and went to Mr. Grimes' barn. They took his wagon apart and climbing to the top of his barn, they put it back together again. The next morning Mr. Grimes discovered this outrageous act and raised a big fuss. People came from all over the community to see the wagon atop the barn. Grandpa, standing in the crowd said, "Whoever did this should have a good whipping. I'm glad I knew where my boys were last night."

Dad was in school, the equivalent of our high school now, when a neighbor's son, who had been west, came home for a visit. He described the west in such glowing terms that Dad wanted to go think Dad was about 16 at the time. He slipped away from school and Grandpa and Grandma being away from the house that day, Dad packed his clothes and "lit out". He went to Texas and ended up near Canadian or Amarille. Broke and homesick, he didn't know what to do. By luck, he came in contact with one of Charles Goodnight's foremen and got a job working for Mr. Goodnight. The first job they gave him to do was to check and repair the line fence. Thinking fences were like the ones back home, he started out in the morning and checked and repaired the fence which ran on and on. It was miles long and not finding and end, he kept working. He didn't know to quit and go in to the bunkhouse and as night came on one of the cowboys came and "rescued" him. Mr. Goodnight had a brother-in-law, Leigh Dyer, who had died and left his widow to run their ranch with whatever help she could get. Mr. Goodnight sent Dad down to help her. He did such a good job that Mr. Good-night let him stay at line camp to take care of horses one winter.

Leander Stanton Age 24

Dad became homesick and wanted to come back to Tennessee. Mr. Goodnight liked Tennesseeans as he had married Mary Ann Dyer from Tennessee. He begged Dad to stay on with him and since he and his wife had no children, Mr. Goodnight told Dad if he would stay on with him, he would be treated as a son. Dad would not stay. Mr. Goodnight lived into the 1920's. At one time, we had p1ctures of the Goodnights and Mrs. Dyer. The old house where Dad lived is now part of the park owned by Texas University. Zane Grey visited the Goodnights while Dad was there. The Goodnights gave a barbecue for Mr. Grey and Dad helped prepare the pit where they barbecued a whole steer. Mr. Goodnight's partner was an Englishman named Adair. When the Adairs visited the ranch, they brought servants with them. Lots of the people who visited the ranch are now famous people and it was quite an experience for Dad.

Callie Mae Boyd Age 16

When Dad got home, he made a large crop. He gave the crop to Grandpa and went west again, this time to his Uncle William Stanton at Selma, Kansas. He helped Uncle William for one summer then came home and got a job in Chattanooga making furniture. The Spanish-American War broke out and Dad joined the army. He was sent to San Francisco in the coast artillery. His commanding officer was Arthur McArthur, Douglas McArthur's father. While there, the troops were reviewed by Teddy Roosevelt (Dad once said that Teddy Roosevelt had the biggest teeth he had ever seen in a man's head). He was discharged a noncommissioned officer and soon after, he and my Mother were married. Dad was an unusual man. He could make just about anything. If he was working and needed a special tool for the job, he would make it. He was a fine carpenter. He built many houses all over this county that are still standing. He built the two-story frame house Grandpa and Grandma lived in, now owned by Kendall Hutsell. He built a two-story frame house on the farm where we lived when I was small. It was built on a hill and my Mother wouldn't move into it because she was afraid of storms so we continued to live in the smaller house and used the new house for our renters. I'll never forget our first car Dad kept getting more and more building jobs in town and one night we heard a car coming up the road. It was Dad. He hid gone into a car dealer, bought a car and after being instructed as how to drive it, he drove it home. Of course, we were all excited and wanted to ride in the new car. We all climbed in laughing and making a lot of noise. We started out in the car with all us children yelling with excitement, Dad lost control and headed out through his fine crop of corn he had in a bottom piece of land near the road. By the time he stopped the car, most of the corn crop was demolished and we were scared half to death. If you have never ridden through a corn patch where the corn is as high as your head and it nighttime and with corn stalks whipping you from all sides, you haven't lived.

I suppose we had a fairly happy childhood. Nobody ever told us that we were poor and we lived in ignorant bliss thinking we were, happy anyway. We had the woods to prowl in, the creek and many springs to play in, and I look back on it as a happy time in our lives. Our parents let us keep pets and we had cats, dogs and at one time a 'possum we kept for several days before it escaped into the woods. Charles made wagons and sleds and we rode down the hills at high speeds. We knew every tree and flower. Chestnuts were still in the woods when I was small, as the blight had not killed them out in our area at that time. We gathered walnuts hickory nuts, and in the spring berries, we called them "sarvis' then.

When we moved to town, It was a whole new experience for us. Dad had bought quite a bit of land on the Mount Verd road near North City School. At that time there were few houses in that area and we had plenty of room to run and play. The depression years came and many people were out of work and were hungry and sick, We owned our own home, Dad having built it just before we moved, and my Mother made a large garden. She had insisted on bringing our cow to town. In those days, people could keep cows and even a hog in town, as the houses were far apart. Mother canned dozens of cans of fruits and vegetables and with plenty of milk and butter, we got along well. The railroad ran near our house and during those terrible years of depression, the trains would be loaded with hobos, The trains stopped in front of our place as a switch was just down the road and men would pile off the train begging for food. My Mother never turned anyone away from our door that was hungry. We started making up lunches for these poor unfortunate men. Mother got us early and she would bake extra biscuits, bake sweet potatoes and great slabs of cornbread. We would butter the biscuits, put jelly on them and if there were meat, we would put that on the bread. She handed this out the door to the men as they came. She divided the milk with the starving children around us and divided her vegetables too. I remember her coming in from milking one night and she had tears in her eyes. While she was milking, a woman had come and stood watching her. My mother said she knew this woman's children were hungry. She sent us with a gallon of milk to their home. I suppose that is what they had for supper that night. Years later, when Ollie and I had our store, a woman came in and with tears streaming down her cheeks she told me how my mother and sister, Grace, kept her children from starving. I was deeply moved by this, as I had never realized we had done anything for anyone.

When Grandpa died, he left dad some money and with that money and what money mother had saved, dad bought some shoe repair equipment, He put in a shoe repair shop downtown in the back of a barbershop. Business was so good he moved into a building of his own. Later he had a shop in North Athens, which Charles operated. One was on White Street and one near the Foree Hospital. Mr. Thompson worked in one and dad in the other. He bought a shop in Etowah and a Mr. Holden operated that one. Dad could never bear to see a child barefooted in cold weather and it was said that he kept half the little black children who passed his shop in shoes.

Dad never whipped us and my mother never touched us with either a switch or her hand. She would say, "If I whipped one of my children and it should die, I could never get over it". Every night she came to our beds to see if we were all right. She loved us all but I believe that George was her favorite. The rest of us held no resentment for this, as he was so good to her. He never gave her a minutes trouble and always doing anything she asked. He never, to my knowledge, gave her an unkind word. After her death, he was just as kind to Fannie and me and looked after us. He took us places and we had lots of fun together. From a little boy, he liked to hunt. He had a beagle named Kate, and Kate liked to hunt. George had an old topless car he used for hunting and after Kate was too old and fat to run, we would have to shut her in the house when she saw George get his gun and start his car. If she got out, she would run after the car as long as her little short legs hold out would. These things mean little to others, but to me they are treasured memories.

Charles, George V., Fannie, Bobby Stanton, Ellis and Gene Fritts

Lewis Holloway Stanton was the seventh child of Lewis, Jr. and Artie Stanton. Lewis must have been the "black sheep of the family" as he married young and was divorced within two years. There was some scandal about this but I was never able to find out what it was as Grandma always said it was trashy to talk about one's people. He married again to Mary Elizabeth Shell. They had two sons; Lewis called "Tobe" and Albert. While the children were small, they moved to Kansas where Mary E. died. Tobe was a cowboy and was blinded in one eye. He tried to enlist in the army in World War I but because of his blind eye, he was not accepted. He was able to help by breaking horses for the cavalry. His brother, Albert Newton, went to Tacoma, Washington where he had apartment houses. Albert and his wife did not have children. After the death of Mary E. Lewis he married a young widow with a small daughter and they had two sons, Lloyd and Charles. Lloyd had a little mine at Tonapah, Nevada, don't know if it was silver or gold. Lloyd left Nevada to go to San Francisco about 1906 and it is believed that he died in the great earthquake.

After Annie Gimble, the young widow died he married again, this time another widow, Rebecca Jane (McCauley) McMillan. They did not have children. He lived at Fairport, Kansas where he died and is buried there. The neighbors have written to me telling of his years at Fairport. He was blind for seven years before his death. One lady said he was a fine musician and played the violin even after he was blind. His step granddaughter has the violin. His son Charles lived in Tacoma, Washington and he had a son, Charles, Jr., who lives there now.

Simon Stanton was Lewis Jr. and Artie's eighth child. He married Virginia Boggess. He and Virginia and three of their children left McMinn County about 1885 and settled in Putnam, Oklahoma. His son, Robert, was postmaster there until a few years ago. Simon and Virginia had 15 children, one dying when still a young boy. The children went to school and most were school teachers.

One of the grandsons is a doctor, Dr. Stanton Witter, of Oklahoma City; another is a professor at a college in Seattle. Several grandsons are lawyers, one an architect at Tulsa, Oklahoma. One daughter married a Supreme Court Justice of the State of Oklahoma. Simon and Virginia are buried at Putnam, Okla.

Artisimia, called "Teen", named for her mother, was the ninth child of Lewis Jr., and Artie. She married Bennett B. Bogqess a brother of Simon's wife. They too went west first Blue Mound, Kansas then to Taloga, Okla. near Putnam, Bennett was County Commissioner when he died, having been a rancher, farmer and policeman. "Teen" lived on into her nineties. She was a strongwilled woman. When she was in her eighties, she shingled the roof of her house. When she died, an article came out in the Oklahoma paper telling of her life and the things she had done for the young people of that area. Her granddaughter wrote and told me a lot about Teen. This granddaughter teaches Interior Decorating in a schoo1 near Taloga. Teen's son, Ranza, owns a large irrigation in Texas, has holdings in the Savings and Loan Association and has bought land in Central America. One of Teen's daughters" lives in Utah, This family line is unfinished as I do not have all the information on them.

I have already told you about Dr. George W. Stanton, the tenth and last child of Lewis, Jr. and Artie.

One thing I think sums up the Stantons. They were proud, stubborn, liked adventure, and always liked to work for themselves. Most had their own businesses. Almost all are artistic and musically inclined. I hate to say this but they were sort of hard to get along with. They tend to take their spouses for granted, as possessions rather than someone to love and cherish, I hope the younger generations can improve on this.

My Dad George V. Stanton

Return To:  McMinn Co. Web Genealogy Project
Subbmitted by: Vanessa Stanton Butler